For those of you on the fence

TheSecondLetter

I'm writing and recording a series of videos to showcase the Defiance gameplay. So far, I'm really digging what I've played.

Keep up with the videos and writing (Link)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcXdXq8mvuI&list=PLzwQfBinnPopir0wU8SexqCrqMjtwCx32]I just want to watch the videos (Playlist)[/ame]

Episodes

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcXdXq8mvuI]Part 1 - Beta Impressions[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oPe9ghbYWg]Part 2 - Getting Started[/ame]

Part 3 - Made for TV (Coming Soon)

I'll update this post as I finish episodes. Enjoy and stay tuned!

as much as it is enjoyable at times when it works the servers them self are really unpredictable at times when they will or work or you get disconnected in middle while doing a mission meaning you have to redo the whole mission again

the game is amazing when it works game needs a lot more content to it due to size of the map you see and what you get to go round its a tiny amount pvp now is not worth trying its has become a shotgun feast

as much as it is enjoyable at times when it works the servers them self are really unpredictable at times when they will or work or you get disconnected in middle while doing a mission meaning you have to redo the whole mission again

the game is amazing when it works game needs a lot more content to it due to size of the map you see and what you get to go round its a tiny amount pvp now is not worth trying its has become a shotgun feast

I have been very fortunate in that I've only been disconnected from the servers once during play since the full release. Other than some general lag or cutscene glitches I've had a pretty smooth experience. As far as content goes, I've been ok with the amount of quests available and the random enemies that spawn pretty much anywhere.

I definitely want more Episode Missions, though. Those seem to be the most fun thus far.

I really hope people arent put off by the review this site has given. Its pretty out of order reviewing a game that will soon have a huge patch that addresses a lot of the issues that the reviewer complained about. Top sites tend to lay off reviews for games like this for thise reasons, its a shame that sites like this dont understand the industry they work in and realise the facts. Poor form if you ask me, irresponsible and also damn clueless.

I really hope people arent put off by the review this site has given. Its pretty out of order reviewing a game that will soon have a huge patch that addresses a lot of the issues that the reviewer complained about. Top sites tend to lay off reviews for games like this for thise reasons, its a shame that sites like this dont understand the industry they work in and realise the facts. Poor form if you ask me, irresponsible and also damn clueless.

I haven't played the game but the review seems fair to me. The things that Lee critiqued the game on were mostly content issues, not technical difficulties. In fact, his comments seem to echo a lot of what I'm hearing from those who do play the game. Even many streamers on twitch who streamed the game have stopped streaming it because they found it too shallow and repetitive. Also, the review should have no bearing on your enjoyment of the game. There's lots of games that people have bashed that I love :).

The review doesnt affect my opinion at all mate...its just a poor show imo. The guy doesnt even understand the game. The loot has horizontal progression because it allows people to play together no matter what level they are...for example. Most of those issues will be patched and they should have waited like a lot of the proper review sites have. What annoys me is clueless behavious like this which can really hurt sales at the start of a games life.

Im not saying its perfect, but just check any forum and you will see how popular it is with the gamers...the critics hate it because its not like the other mmo games. My grievance is with the stupidity of a site that reviews a game like this before allowing it grow legs.

I am not surprised with the review to be honest just a little annoyed that the reviewer does not seem to have spent the time needed to fully review an MMO.

Reviews for MMO's should be done in two parts. The first a review of the launch and first impressions. Then a second review at least a month in after the initial breaking in phase that all MMO's go through has died down.

The only annoying part of the review from my stand point was the weapon scaling comment. No one that I know of has even reached 2000 EGO rating so nobody knows what weapons lay in the higher end of the game. Also no one has to my knowledge found any of the rare synergies for the weapons which could have a huge bearing on them.

Plus there is a leveling system for the guns its just most people seem to have failed in noticing it and leveling this up DOES affect how your weapon performs.

I agree that 80% of Xbox owners probably do not have the patience for the long haul but I am not sure that should have influenced the score in any way.

All in all a good review just a little early in my opinion

They should have the sense that other sites have had and give it time to pass the teething stage. Then post a fair review after a few weeks. There is good reason that reviews for this game are hard to come by....because it doesnt do the game justice to review it this early.

I give the X360a review a mediocre score. The TA review is much more appropriate. We don't even know how long the reviewer played. On TA they always include lively bits of info like this:

"The game was reviewed from a personal copy. The reviewer played roughly 35 hours and won 22 achievements. During the writing of this review, over 3,000 enemies have been destroyed in the process"

I give the X360a review a mediocre score. The TA review is much more appropriate. We don't even know how long the reviewer played. On TA they always include lively bits of info like this:

"The game was reviewed from a personal copy. The reviewer played roughly 35 hours and won 22 achievements. During the writing of this review, over 3,000 enemies have been destroyed in the process"

The reviewer is in the EU clan of D2D. Played well over 50 hours. Saw him popping up in game regularly and I have clocked up around 90 hours so far. I now know they are one in the same person.

I don't know... I completely disagree. I didn't want to call it out directly, but since you mentioned it, that is the review that reads like a press-release. For God's sake, it calls the EGO "a fascinating symbiotic relationship" that "increased the in-game options greatly and allowed for a more in-depth look into what the game offered." ... the EGO! The menu system / leveling system / abilities system .... basically the entire game system is just combined into the EGO, so to me, crap like that was just absurd. I commented on it, but fluffy reviews like that mean nothing. I didn't even feel like we played the same game while I was reading it. And I REALLY like Defiance, but even I can admit it is not at all as wonderful as the TA review makes it seem.

I also think it's amusing that jackanape has so comments on that one and then his is the review here!

The review doesnt affect my opinion at all mate...its just a poor show imo. The guy doesnt even understand the game. The loot has horizontal progression because it allows people to play together no matter what level they are...for example. Most of those issues will be patched and they should have waited like a lot of the proper review sites have. What annoys me is clueless behavious like this which can really hurt sales at the start of a games life.

Im not saying its perfect, but just check any forum and you will see how popular it is with the gamers...the critics hate it because its not like the other mmo games. My grievance is with the stupidity of a site that reviews a game like this before allowing it grow legs.

They should have the sense that other sites have had and give it time to pass the teething stage. Then post a fair review after a few weeks. There is good reason that reviews for this game are hard to come by....because it doesnt do the game justice to review it this early.

Feel free to put up or shut up - seeing as you seem to have ignored my responses in the other thread. None of the issues I've raised are going to be patched or altered, as they are integral to the game itself. Are they going to patch the poor missions/story etc. No, of course not. Plus, I didn't really mention any of the lag/bugs etc really as I know they are liable to be patched, whereas drab gameplay, stupid enemies and poor progression is not.

Likewise the weapon system may be designed to be the way it is - I'm not arguing that - what I'm saying is that by doing that they have made weapons dull and boring. I've been using the same gear for close to 700 EGO levels - does that sound like fun progression? Saying I don't understand the game because I disagree with you is just clueless.

Also, reviews are hard to come by because review copies for the game were not actually sent out until AFTER the game released. So even if reviewers bought the game day one they would still have to put a good amount of time into the game as I've done - and will continue to do.

This game is fun in small doses but it doesn't have the long term progression or variety that would keep people hooked for hours, and it has too many issues/niggles that would put off new MMO players - a market this game is specifically trying to attract.

People seem to think I hate this game, I don't and I'm likely to put plenty of time into it. I'm a completionist and enjoy grinding for levels, but I can still view the game objectively and see flaws that other people would be put off by.

The TA review is a press release. I have more time on the game, more achievements and no doubt a higher EGO score than that guy. I've fully completed all pursuits/missions in two areas and am close to a third. Not to mention the fact I've done all co-op maps (bar one that wasn't working) and spent a TON of time online. Got my 50 Shadow War captures which took pretty much ten hours on its own.

At least if you are going to critique my work do so with some evidence. If you read the TA review you would think the game had no issues at all. He even claims that Contracts are co-op missions and the driving is like a racing simulation. Come on now.

Edited by jackanape

My only real issue with the game is that there is no bank system to put your extra stuff into. Have a few good mods that I want to keep for later, but I can't, so they have to loiter in my invetory :/

Also, this is to my knowledge, the first EVER multiplatform MMO and it's running on a ~8 year old console hardware.

It's surprising that this game didn't fail massively. I was extremely sceptical about a MMO on current generation consoles (many developers said that it was near impossible to develop a quality MMO with the current hardware on X360).

Give it a week or so, maybe a few DLC's in the making that will make the game more varied and expansive.

Guild vs Guild battles.

MAKE THAT HAPPEN, TRION!

My only real issue with the game is that there is no bank system to put your extra stuff into. Have a few good mods that I want to keep for later, but I can't, so they have to loiter in my invetory :/

Also, this is to my knowledge, the first EVER multiplatform MMO and it's running on a ~8 year old console hardware.

It's surprising that this game didn't fail massively. I was extremely sceptical about a MMO on current generation consoles (many developers said that it was near impossible to develop a quality MMO with the current hardware on X360).

Give it a week or so, maybe a few DLC's in the making that will make the game more varied and expansive.

Guild vs Guild battles.

MAKE THAT HAPPEN, TRION!

Actually that was an issue for me too - forgot to mention that. I would hope they would put in some kind of bank/stash system. At the moment I sometimes complete missions with a full inventory so that items drop into the Claim section of the Store and I can deal with them later.

But the amount of things I've sold/broken down and thought "but I wanna keep it"........

Actually that was an issue for me too - forgot to mention that. I would hope they would put in some kind of bank/stash system. At the moment I sometimes complete missions with a full inventory so that items drop into the Claim section of the Store and I can deal with them later.

But the amount of things I've sold/broken down and thought "but I wanna keep it"........

How could you forget this :omg to be honest I forgot this as well I am not sure why but this is a big oversight and needs to be added.

Also Jack the Clan system is really bare bones and needs looking at as clans will be what helps this game keep its feet

How could you forget this :omg to be honest I forgot this as well I am not sure why but this is a big oversight and needs to be added.

Also Jack the Clan system is really bare bones and needs looking at as clans will be what helps this game keep its feet

Yeah I did mention the limited clan support. Not to mention the broken clan/group chat. In terms of the review I tried to steer clear of things I felt would be an easy fix/patch. Maybe clan specific missions/events would be nice - or better integration with the PvP options? I could suggest tweaks all day,ha ha, but hopefully they are working on some of the little stuff regardless.

My main wish list would be:

Map names (or waypoints for Contracts)

Bank/Stash for items

Better Clan support and improved chat facilities

I think that problem gets compounded with the loot drop system and the way weapons level up. It means you have to keep your best maxed out weapon with you at all times, and then also a second version (a worse version almost all the time), to use if you want to level your weapon rank.If I find a good weapon of a type that I use once in a while, I keep it. The only weapons I always get rid of are semi-automatic snipers and pump shotguns... I just don't like to use them. At a little less then EGO 500, I have 39 slots.

-3 very different shield (for each load out right now)

-3 kinds of grenade (one for each loadout I created)

-2 AR's (1 max, 1 to level)

-2 Combat Shotguns (1 max, 1 to level)

-2 Pistols (1 max, 1 to level)

-2 Infectors (1 max, 1 to level)

-2 BMGs (1 max, 1 to level)

-1 Sawed off Shotgun

-1 Bolt Action Sniper

-1 Grenade Launcher

-1 Rocket Launch

-1 Guided Launcher

That's 21 inventory slots of my current 39 used up.

I know I could "just sell" the weapons I don't use, but I won't know if I'll get something as good as them again. They are the best that I've found.

Only 650 ish but I ended up with at least 2 sets of pre order codes so got a fair few bonus slots from the store... :)

Ah I see. Do the pre-order bonuses stack? On everything? I've got another pre-order code I haven't used yet. Never bothered as I thought they wouldn't stack.