Some advice for specific challenges (optimum routes)

Drake OPhile

Here's some advice for each of the challenges in Mercury Hg and the best way to complete them in the time/health/items requirements. Completing the challenges comes down to finding the optimum routes for each level and memorizing them like the back of your hand.

YES THESE ARE HARD. YES YOU WILL SCREAM AND CURSE AND RAGEQUIT THIS GAME. BE PREPARED FOR THIS, THIS GAME CAN BE RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP WITH THE CHALLENGES.

--- Chromatium Challenge

1. (K): This level is pretty basic. It helps to dye the mercury red BEFORE cutting it to mix it.

2. (Ca): Stick to the left side of the paths each time you go down them, that's where the "entrance" will be based on your color.

3. (Ig): Just like (K), dye the mercury before splitting it.

--- Pixellium Challenge

1. (Fr): Self-explanatory level, mastery of guiding your mercury around in a circular motion is critical.

2. (Ti): Optimal route- when the Red switches appear start by grabbing the two atoms farthest away from the edit FIRST. Also, it is worth the time it takes to activate all the red panels to get the atom by the exit.

3. (Nb): If you have collected all of the atoms thus far, then begin first by going to the Ag panels northwest of your starting location, then go in a clockwise pattern to turn on the rest of them. If you are fast enough you can pick up both atoms on the first row of three Ag switches, then nab one atom on the next two Ag row, skip the next atom on the next row of 2 Ag switches, and finally collect your last atom on one of the ends of the final set of Ag switches (it is a row of 3 again). As soon as you activate the last Ag switch immediately floor it to the base of the level (behind where you started) to catch the moving platform. If you miss it, you may run out of time.

--- Conveyorium Challenge

1. (Cr): Take note of where the magnet panels are and use the conveyors to your advantage in the direction you are heading. It's hard to lose mercury on this stage.

2. (Ag): Make a loop around the first part of the figure 8 to collect three atoms (I find it easier to do if you just go in a square rather than zigzag at the intersections. Once you do this move to the second part of the figure 8, turn blue, and then quickly maneuver around the loop again to the exit.

3. (S): Optimum route- You must collect each atom on your first tour around the level. You cannot move against the direction of the conveyors, so moving diagonally across them is key.

4. (He): It is important to note that there will basically be a hole at every corner in this level. It is easier to line yourself up vertically to pick up an atom and then tilt BACKWARDS to go back the way you came than it is to tilt forward and try to go to the side around a hole.

--- Precipicium Challenge

1. (Mn): There are two opportunities to ramp yourself across this stage. The first is right in front of you at the first turn, however you will follow the level and make a right, and then backtrack to jump across the gap (as if you had turned left instead). The next opportunity is right after this one where you can jump down to the next row. These shortcuts are nullified on the final stage of the challenge, however, because you will need to collect the atoms.

2. (O): This is essentially the same stage as (Mn) but there are no feasible shortcuts. It is best to practice these stages and make note of where the major bumps and folds of the terrain are.

--- Gravitium Challenge

1 & 2. (Sr, F): It is impossible to lose mercury in these levels, so this one is rather easy. Make note of where the hockey puck things are and you will be able to dart around and nab all of the atoms. Your mercury will likely smash into pieces, this can work to your advantage though it is hard to keep track of all of the mercury bits and circle pieces at the same time. Focus on your "main" mercury blob and ignore the smaller BB's that will break off.

3. (Ar): If you collected all of the atoms in the first two stages you should be able to play this level straight and simply collect the individual atoms at the two U-turns in the level. To cross the holes in the terrain bank around them toward the platform to the next part of the level. It is not advised to try and cross the level using the 1x3 rails the pucks slide on.

--- Magnetronium Challenge

1. (Co): For this level (and others similar to it) it is important to remember this: when crossing near a repellor pass CLOSE to it, and when crossing near a magnet bank AWAY from it. The holes are a non-issue if you bank around them accordingly.

2. (Rh): See (Co).

3. (N): Optimal route- Using momentum you can pass the magnets without getting trapped. Floor the table forward at the start to collect the atoms and turn yellow. Then follow the edge of the level to the corner with the 2 atoms, then turn the table again and get to the exit.

4. (Ge): See (Co).

Edited by Drake O'Phile

--- Platformium Challenge

1. (B): Optimal route- From the start go forward to the far edge, make a left and go all the way down to the yellow painter. Now backtrack and cross at the center of the map and activate the Yellow switch. Turn 180 and go straight back to the moving platform with the atom and cyan painter. Turn 180 again and go straight back and make a left to reach the moving Cyan switch to collect the atom and unlock the exit. Turn 180 and head straight for the exit. You can save a fraction of a second by splattering on the corner onto the checkered square.

2. (Se): Optimal route- From the start activate the Ag platform and hop to the back left square (note from here on out directions will be given from the POV of the start of the level). After collecting this you will jump across to the front left platform to get the next atom. Now quickly jump diagonally to the middle platform and back to the Ag platform. Now hop to the back right platform, get the atom, and move straight to the front right platform. Get the atom and move to the front-center square for the last atom and ext.

3. (I): Optimal route- From the start go immediately to the red painter and quickly land on one of the two platforms leading to the atom across from the Green switches. Take the atom and get to the platforms that lead to the Red switches, activate them, and get back to the platforms BEFORE they move again (this is very important). Go to the start of the level and over to the green painter and when you get back you must get to the center row of moving platforms before they move, and travel to get the atom across from the Red switches. When you get it, you will go back another row to get the Green switches. After this, quickly get to the moving platforms that take you to the atom across from the exit. Now get to the blue painter and backtrack onto the platforms that will take you to the exit. It is CRITICAL to go through this level activating switches and changing colors without letting the platforms cycle without you on them. If this happens, restart the challenge.

4. (Cl): Pseudo-optimal route- Again, squares/atoms will be named assuming the POV at the start of the stage. At this point you can skip 1 atom, we will be skipping the atom in the back right. At the start of the level activate the Ag switch, ride it up to hop over to the back left atom. Now you will hop diagonally onto the 2x2 platform in the center and move ahead to pick up the atom in the left of the center. Move to the glowing center panel, now move to the right and get the atom in the right of the center. You will now jump diagonally forward to the right to reach the front right atom, then back this same route to the center. Now you will jump to the front left to get this atom, diagonally back to the center, and forward to the ext.

[EDIT Note: The (Cl) route is not perfect, as it turns out it requires the skipped atom in the (Cl) stage.]

--- Clockworkium Challenge

1. (Ga): Collect every atom on this stage. You can save time by carefully oozing around the spinning cog.

2. (Te): Collect every atom on this stage except for the two inside the inverted pyramid in the second half. You can save time by jumping from one silver platform to the other after painting yourself yellow to grab an atom. You can also jump down a level after painting yourself green so long as you are careful not to land on the splitter bump.

3. (Ne): If you have collected the specified atoms this far you should be missing 3 for the final stage challenge. At the first "corner" of this level grab the two atoms, these are easiest to get. You can ignore the rest of the atoms in the level and focus on getting into the cog cutaways. To save the most time get to the inside of the cog within one "click" of them depositing you (this way you will not have to wait for two additional "clicks" for the opening to return to you. Be careful of the hidden hole on the inside of the 3rd corner!!

4. (Xe): You should be missing only 1 atom now, and you will collect it in the middle of this level. You may skip every atom and focus on hopping from cog to cog. This is the easiest challenge set by far.

--- Mazium Challenge

1. (Zr): Learning the layouts of the "hidden" walls is key, luckily they are easy. You will start by going forward, left, and straight back and to the right. Now go across, turn right again and pass up the entrance you will pass, it's a dead end. Go down to the edge of the level and carefully around the edge and into the Cyan switches. To save the most time it is best to "splatter" on the wall so your mercury stretches and touches all 3 switches at once. Once you do this the walls will vanish, it is important to wait a fraction of the second or you will still hit the walls and lose momentum. Get the atoms on either side of you and exit.

2. (Cu): You will go straight and juke to the right and left and collect the center atom. Now go around and to the left at the top of the maze to serpentine into the red painter. Backtrack and hit the Red switches in the bottom right of the map (POV from the start of the maze) and collect the atom. The invisible walls will change now. Go back to the yellow painter and reach the righthand Yellow switches first (POV from the start of the maze) and collect the atom. Now go to the other set of switches and collect the atom. The walls will vanish. Before you exit there is an atom straight down just outside the entrance to the second set of Yellow switches. Take it an exit.

3. (P): Easy level, collect the first two atoms and when you get to the exit carefully pool your mercury around the wall to reach the final atom. The trick here is to split the mercury so a glob of it reaches the atom and another glob stays behind so you can maneuver it to the exit. This is important to collect.

4. (Br): This level is easy but it is made VERY HARD by the terrible camera angle and placement of unnecessary yellow and cyan painters. FIRSTLY TURN THE CAMERA 180 DEGREES FROM THE START SO YOU WORK "DOWN" THE MAZE, THIS PERSPECTIVE IS EASIEST!! What you will do is carefully maneuver the two blobs down, park the cyan to the left of the hole by the first painter and then use the corner above it to hold it while you maneuver the yellow blob to the first atom. Now, when you move back to the left the yellow blob should get stuck on a wall and the cyan blob in a corner. Maneuver the yellow blob back to the start and inside the little alcove so it is surrounded on 3 sides. Move the cyan blob down to the first atom on its side. The yellow blob should be safe at this point. Move the cyan blob back to start.

Now here comes the hard part. You will start again as you did before, moving the cyan blob to the left of the hole by the painter and inside of the corner. Now move the yellow blob to the right and down. You will now have the yellow blob in a "safe" corner to allow you to maneuver the cyan blob carefully around the rest of its maze. Collect the second atom on the cyan blob's side (by the hole) and then park the cyan blob in the corner made by the wall and silver "invisible wall". You can now maneuver the yellow blob down the rest of its maze. Move the yellow blob to the left so it is just across the hole from the cyan. Move both blobs up, the yellow should now be in a safe corner. Move the cyan to the right to fuse with the yellow and make silver.

Now, quickly get to the exit as you probably will be on the "running out of time" alert. Because you collected the atom behind the exit in the (P) stage you can skip the atom behind the exit in this one (it is almost impossible).

Edited by Drake O'Phile

--- Groupium Challenge

1. (Ra): Optimal route- Grab the atom by your starting location, then quickly go across the level to grab the other atoms and make a wide curve on the other "note head" to collect an atom and reach the yellow painter. Go back the way you came, activate the Yellow switches, and then across the new bridge to the cyan painter and final atom. Complete the level.

2. (V): Begin the level by rotating the camera 180 degrees. Now go straight down to slice the mercury and follow these tunnels to the green and blue painters and one atom each. Now go back, the green mercury will reach the start before the blue, use this to lead the green mercury to the bottom path and the blue to the top, follow these paths. The blue mercury will reach the next atom first, collect it and exit the alcove then lead the green to the next atom and do the same. Combine the mercuries and collect the cyan "invisible wall" atom. Exit.

3. (Al): Optimal route- Begin first by collecting the atom above the right eye of the face and move left to get the other atom and reach the left earphone. Go up and across the bridge to the red painter and around tot he right earphone, activate the Red switches. Go across the face and activate the Red switches that make the "mouth", get to the left earphone and activate the switches. Now, moving quickly go up the bridge to the first atom. Before the bridge retracts get to the yellow painter and wait on the bridge near the next atom. Collect it and quickly go down the bridge to the right earphone and collect the atom as it earphones move. Now exit the level. (You are skipping the atom on the left earphone, it takes too much time.)

4. (Sn): This is an easy level all things considered, you will go up and to the right to reach the red painter, then back and to the left to the switches. In front of these switches the yellow painter will open, use it and go to the back right to activate the Yellow switches. Now wait for the level to move and go forward and to the right to the green painter, being careful of the magnets in the floor. Now go back toward the yellow switches and pass them up to reach the Green switches. Activate them and go across to the left and forward to the exit.

5. (Kr): PRACTICE THIS LEVEL FOR TIMING THE JUMP!! Optimal route- Split your mercury at the start and carefully lead the two blobs into the cogs (you can do this entirely by pushing forward. DO NOT MOVE THE CAMERA AND DO NOT PRESS ANY DIRECTION OTHER THAN FORWARD. When the cogs bring the mercury to the other side carefully ease them out and wait just a moment so any left/right movement from the cogs stops (this is critical). Once the blobs are stationery shoot them down the ramps (again pressing forward and NO OTHER DIRECTIONS). There are two atoms floating in the air, if you miss one of them this is okay (you are allotted to skip two in this challenge and we used one of them on the earphones level, you should collect at least one of the atoms when you jump).

You must catch the blobs in the two "trays" seen in the next half of the level. Timing is key, when you catch the mercury press the A button to attract them while tilting the table forward so the mercury does not spill into the center hole. You will incur a small time penalty, yes, but this should be negligible if you are quick on the first 4 levels. You should now have a whole mercury. If you collected both atoms from the jump, collect two of the atoms in this bottom tray and exit. If you missed an atom, collect all three from this tray and exit.

Congratulations! You beat the Challenges in Mercury Hg!

Edited by Drake O'Phile

Could be cool if you bolded the name of the challenge, Optimal routes etc. Reading pure text is really uneasy on the eyes.

Nice to see this, I thought this game would be pretty dead. I just got going into finishing this game after playing some Moon Diver and I can see the challenges are going to frustrate me, I'll take it one challenge at a time with breaks. How many stages are there for the challenges? (I'm at #2 and it has 3 Freaking Stages, boring.)

Formatted this better. :) Sorry for the original bad posting style, I wrote this at around 1:30 AM and just wanted to have it posted and out there for other people to check out. ;)

I LOVE Mercury. It was the only reason I bought a PSP when they came out (Archer Maclean's Mercury was a launch title). I'd have written the achievement guide for this game too if someone hadn't beaten me to it. ;)

Do you mind if I link to this in the guide? It'd definitely be helpful for people.

EDIT: I went ahead and put on there anyways because I don't know why anyone would say no. But, I'll gladly take it off if you want me to. It's under the "Challengium" achievement.

Edited by L1E

I have posted a better route for "Se" in the Platformium challenge. It saves a total of 10 seconds compared to the previous version. I am still working out the kinks of the final Platformium stage. Collecting the corner atoms and retreating into the center square is time consuming, but it works. Especially with the new savings of 10 seconds.

Great guide ^^

This is a really tough but nice challange. Just did the first 5, but I'm very afraid of the 6th one, because I was the hardest to get 100% Mercury in my opinion :/

Magnetronium isn't too hard. The hardest challenges in my opinion are Platformium, Mazium, and Groupium. Some are ridiculously easy, like Clockworkium.

Here's an approach you can take for Magnetronium:

(Rh): If you managed to get 4/5 Atoms in the first level, you can ignore the atom in the right where there's a Red Magnet. It's very difficult as you get sucked into the Circle pretty easily to lose 1% Mercury. Avoid this one and grab the others in the other levels as they aren't as difficult.

For Groupium:

Alternate Route for (Kr): If you only need 4 Atoms left to complete the challenge, do NOT split the Mercury at the beginning but instead go with one huge blob to the left/right. The thing you should watch out for (other than the timing on the tray) is that if you break too hard and just drop to the tray from a high distance you risk the splat effect being too big. Hold A as you're falling down onto the tray. The Atoms on the tray are very easy to get as long as you keep your composure. Much easier than having to unite the two atoms in the tray due to the holes.

Wow. Just finished them and Platornium had me at the edge, I lost by 1 second twice and every few tries I'd mess up on Iodine. That last level is extremely hard and you need over 100 seconds to do so you can afford a mistake just in case. Damn what a challenge. Groupium isn't difficult, it's just long and tedious if you lose. Mazium I can't comment much because I got lucky on the last level with 2 seconds to spare. Crazy speed runs on Plat and Maze.

Edited by Ayx

for Cl: I found that if you get the back right then work your way anti clocwise getting the atom in the middle right on the way past then leave the centre left atom until you are heading for the exit. It took me about 95secs on the level and I made a mistake at the end which probably added on about 10 secs as I missed a platform.

Just completed all challenges as well :D

Sorry if that makes little sense to people

Just got the achievement! Very nice challange and reminded me a lot of Monkey Ball (Wish we would get one on the 360 :/)

#7 is all about knowing the levels and where to go.

B = 39 sec

SE = 62 sec

I = 92 sec

CL = 71 sec

Those are my times I did before attempting the challange. Only hard level is I, but you can drop 25%, so it's a lot easier than I imagined first. And because of my times, I could still take a little longer on that one to be save. Took me 2 tries after I knew how to go through each level.

The other ones are more about being really fast. KR is the only problem in #10. As described, get that thing down and try to get at least 25-30 sec for this one so you don't have to rush after successfully landing that jump. Always press A while in the air just before you want to land. I tilted the board a little to the left, so it was easier to land and not drop anything in the hole.

#9 is also a tough challanges. This one is all about speed. The levels are kinda easy once you know them, but you have to be insanely fast. Practice BR a LOT. I get every atom before so I don't have to go after the one behind the goal, which is extremely hard to get with 100% mercury and only 5-10 seconds left.

for Cl: I found that if you get the back right then work your way anti clocwise getting the atom in the middle right on the way past then leave the centre left atom until you are heading for the exit. It took me about 95secs on the level and I made a mistake at the end which probably added on about 10 secs as I missed a platform.

Just completed all challenges as well :D

Sorry if that makes little sense to people

This method is spot on for Cl on Platformium. Thanks loyaltitan. That was the last challenge I needed to complete the game. Thanks Drake for the great post!

Also happy to say that using this pattern on Cl along with a great run helped me crush the leaderboard for Platformium. #1 by 10K and 10 seconds which is saying something because I was near the bottom of most of the other challenge leaderboards.

Edited by NBA Kirkland

This method is spot on for Cl on Platformium. Thanks loyaltitan. That was the last challenge I needed to complete the game. Thanks Drake for the great post!

Also happy to say that using this pattern on Cl along with a great run helped me crush the leaderboard for Platformium. #1 by 10K and 10 seconds which is saying something because I was near the bottom of most of the other challenge leaderboards.

Glad it has helped someone

• 5 weeks later...

I managed to work out a "feasible" route for Cl. I clock in at about 71 - 72 seconds. I worked out a "lovely" little map in paint. Hope it helps somebody out. There are a few minimally challenging jumps in the route, but, if you made it this far, you shouldn't have any problem with them. :D

• 1 month later...
I managed to work out a "feasible" route for Cl. I clock in at about 71 - 72 seconds. I worked out a "lovely" little map in paint. Hope it helps somebody out. There are a few minimally challenging jumps in the route, but, if you made it this far, you shouldn't have any problem with them. :D

the jump from platform 2 to 3 is just completely implausible. it requires absolutely perfect timing. 19 out of 20 times you end up splattering on the edge of platform 3.

EDIT: also, the information for clockworkium is extremely incorrect. even if you collect all the atoms in the first two stages (including the two on the inside pyramid that you say to skip) you will be FIVE short going into the third stage. unless that challenge was changed in an update, i have no idea where those numbers came from.

anyway, done with the challenges. yay!

Edited by Mister Buds