AMAZING Trick to Spider Farming!

BarbaricGoose

This guide was written solely for the use of the good folks at Xbox360Achievements.org.

Do not replicate!

Howdy, folks!

Let me start by saying that this is not simply a tutorial on how to spider farm. It is a glitch that affects spider farming. I know, I know, glitching a glitch. Overkill, you say? Well, I'll let you decide, but I now swear by this technique.

Don't know how to Spider Farm? Read on!

Now, without further ado..

What is the glitch!?

This trick makes all drops, soon as they hit floor, come to you as if you were standing right next to them! No more waiting a minute when an epic drops, hell, no more waiting at all! No longer do you have to decide between a chance at an Aesir piece & money, or a quick spider farm.

How do I do it?

First, you need to kill GRNDL-01 from Hall of Heroes.

You can start from Section 1-3 -- GRNDL's Lair. So it won't take long.

When you get to GRNDL-01, kill him and get the items, then quit to Aesir. It's important that you don't let the game automatically take you to Aesir, you must manually press Start, and select "Go To Aesir."

Note: Don't rush! You've got a good 10 seconds or so after GRNDL explodes before you get teleported back to Aesir automatically. Best wait until GRNDL's corpse is laying flat on the ground before you take yourself back.

With that done, load up 3-4 and..

1. Proceed to the room with the two Trolls, Spider & the Cyberspace Well.
  2. Kill all the enemies in this room!
  3. As soon as the second troll bites the dust, dash over to spider farm door. Note: If you are going to do the glitch with Two(2) people, make sure only one of them is standing near the door when it opens.
  4. Wait patiently until it opens.
  5. Glitch ACTIVATED!

Note: If the loots don't instantly fly over to ya, you did something wrong. Refer to the Troubleshooting section.

You can now proceed to spider farm as normal. Each time the drops will instantly fly over to you.

What is Spider Farming?

This is simply a primer on how to Spider Farm in the first place. You should still use the method listed above.

Due to the surprising popularity of this glitch, I suppose I might as well go all out & address exactly what Spider Farming is, so everyone can benefit from this trick.

Spider Farming is the act of continually killing a certain Spider in the World Serpent level, Section 4. In level select it appears as 3-4.

To get to the Spider, start up 3-4 -- Offline or Online. Now, on your trek to get to the spider you're going to farm, you'll encounter a total of 3 Spiders, counting the one you're going to be farming. The first will be in a large area, and he'll be surrounded by Artillery goblins. The second Spider is 2 rooms after that Spider. This spider is in a room with 2 trolls & a Cyberspace Well off to the left. And last but not least, the Spider you're going farm is through a door in the room with the 2 trolls, Spider & the Cyberspace Well.

If you move just close enough to the door to open it, the Spider will not fire at you. Move too close, and a bunch of enemies will spawn -- In the room with the spider -- and the Spider will open fire. After you've killed the Spider, head back towards the Cyberspace Well, when the camera view changes, the spider has been reset.

Here's a nice video detailing how to kill/reset the spider.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNkpGkAwb0U]YouTube - Too Human - Spider farming[/ame]

I did not make the video, or have a hand in making it.

Troubleshooting:

Having trouble hitting the spider? Well, there are a number of ways to fix this. If you use a Cannon, grab Cannon Range Runes, if you use a Rifle, get Rifle Range runes. You can also spam grenades at the target. You could use Fierce attacks, as well, but that's pain in the ass to do, and I wouldn't recommend it. Laser rifles appear to have a longer range(Cannons too) so I'd recommend using one of those.

• The glitch works in Multiplayer with One(1) or Two(2) players.
  • The glitch works in Single Player Mission Select, as well.

When going on a spider farming binge, you may notice that your gun has "Malfunctioned." By which I mean the sound of gunfire screws up. This is caused by the rapid rate at which you reload when spider farming(I believe). It really has no impact on gameplay, but it can be rather disconcerting. Don't panic! Just grab your towel, and let the game reload for you. Once your gun has begun to "Malfunction," the only way to fix it is to -- I believe -- turn off your Xbox. That's why you should stop it from happening in the first place, by not manually reloading!

So, try to let the game reload for you whenever possible. Once Baldur puts his weapon away, a second later you'll see your ammo bar start to increase. The game has reloaded for you. Naturally, if you're a slug user, you're likely reloading often, so this method of solving the above may not work for you. However, it doesn't happen to everyone, and it may not happen to you. Just figured I'd include my way of solving it.

It's rather hard to screw this glitch up, but hey, we'll go over the list, anyway.

• You didn't kill GRNDL-01
  • You let the game automatically take you to Aesir

• You chose to go back to Aesir too early
  • You chose to go back to Aesir too late. Note: This is really hard to do!
  • You were doing it with two(2) players and they were both standing next to the door.

If you were attempting the glitch with two(2) players, only one of them should open the door. The other should stand far away.

If you think you went back too early: Just wait for all the drops to come to you. You have plenty of time.

If you think you went back too late: As I noted earlier, it's quite hard to do this. If you're a melee class, you'll probably get your drops before GRNDL-01's body disappears, so wait for his body to disappear, then go back. Not earlier. Not later. If you're a ranged class, you'll probably get your drops just as he's disappearing, or has disappeared, in this case, go back(To Aesir) just after you've gotten your drops.

Find a way to screw it up that I haven't? send me a PM or post here and I'll gladly give you credit.

Thanks!

Why should I use the trick?

A good question.

Well, it's, hands down, the fastest way to get Aesir Pieces. It's also the second fastest way to get 7,500 drops achievement. Beaten only by spending $750,000 by buying 7,500 color modules, and being bored for an hour whilst getting your thumb hurt.

It's profitable! Not that money is an issue, but still, it's nice to have. Money has a direct impact on how cool you are, you'd do well to remember that.

Let's go over that one more time, because I like lists:

• Best way to get Aesir pieces
  • Best way to get 7,500 drops achievement
  • Profitable!

Reasons you shouldn't do this:

• You're planning to spider farm for less time than it takes you to kill GRNDL-01.
  • You have all the Aesir pieces & 7,500 drops achievement

• You're allergic to money

Which would you rather do; the new way, or the old way?

Credits/Thanks/Mumbo Jumbo:

Thanks for everyone's support, and not trolling. I'm sorry it took me so long to figure this one out. And, of course, Xbox360A for giving us the resource to share our knowledge.

Thanks to everyone who has helped contribute to the guide! I had to remove them from the original guide. Random names here & there seemed quite out of place. So here they are, in alphabetical order:

• Diabolic Ares
  • FlipSwitch
  • Richie Marley

Written, directed, narrarated & starring BarbaricGoose, or Richard Bastion as you may know him on Live.

Happy hunting!

Best regards,

Richard.

Edited by BarbaricGoose
Clarity

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

going to test this out soon. but just to clarify:

Once I kill the second troll I need to make sure I open the door to the spider farm room. Kill the spider and the loot will come directly to me? Im assuming it will come to me at the same time the loot the second troll comes.

Now I reset the spider, kill him, and the loot will come straight to me again?

Once I kill the second troll I need to make sure I open the door to the spider farm room.

Yes. After killing the second troll, get to the door as fast you can, and wait for it to open. It's pretty hard to not get there in time. I usually end up waiting 5 or so seconds. That doesn't mean walk there, though. :p

Kill the spider and the loot will come directly to me? Im assuming it will come to me at the same time the loot the second troll comes.

Yes. It's like you're standing right next to the spider. Soon as the loot hits the ground, it'll start heading your way. You'll hear the tick, tick, tick, like you would any other time you pick up an item.

Now I reset the spider, kill him, and the loot will come straight to me again?

Correct.

Happy hunting!

Edited by BarbaricGoose
Clarity! I can't get enough clarity!

I'll be testing this as soon as, and if it doesnt work will also be experimenting with why not. Probably just a semi-colon in the wrong place in the game code ^^

Edit: Cant get this to work for me either. You say it worked for you on multiple occasions and then it stopping? How odd. Try to emember exactly how you did everything the first time and we will give this another shot.

Edited by FlipSwitch

Altough, I'm still new to this site... I just tried one of your method, and it worked out great for me. It's just as you explained... Except I did mounted on those two trolls. Don't know if it makes any difference. Got two epic armors because of that, I highly recommended doing these!

EDIT: Just attempt w/o mounting the trolls, worked fine either way. Btw, I'm doing these on 'Mission Select' Solo campaign, in case if you guys wonder! Good luck guys!

Edited by Diabolic Ares

Yeah, first of all, right after killing last troll, just quick ran to spider door.. then as once, you kill spider, loot items will come to you immediate whilst you are by the door. It'll happen as long as you keep spider farming, loots WILL come to you right away as it fall on the ground. Sorry about that, here's the details.

Thats so awesome. Goose, that has to be the discovery of the year for Too Human players. I have a question, how the hell did you figure out the GRNDL thing?

No matter, that glitch has just become the best way to farm hands down. Anyone moaning about having no set pieces after 50 GRNDL kills no longer deserves any sympathy, because they hsould be using this method. Respect to you Richard Bastion.

Edited by FlipSwitch

Just attempt w/o mounting the trolls, worked fine either way. Btw, I'm doing these on 'Mission Select' Solo campaign, in case if you guys wonder! Good luck guys!

Nice find!

I updated the guide with you in mind.

tried it a few times and could not get it to work for me.

Did you read the guide again?

I updated it with new information. Most of which is important.

If you still can't figure it out, I'd be more than happy to run you through and show you exactly how to do it.

Thats so awesome. Goose, that has to be the discovery of the year for Too Human players. I have a question, how the hell did you figure out the GRNDL thing?

No matter, that glitch has just become the best way to farm hands down. Anyone moaning about having no set pieces after 50 GRNDL kills no longer deserves any sympathy, because they hsould be using this method. Respect to you Richard Bastion.

Thank you, Switch. I appreciate it.

Kinda sounds like one of those one in one in a million discoveries, huh? But, luckily it wasn't. I just retraced my steps. I swear, I spent so much time ironing out every variable in chapter 3-4 I didn't even think to simply retrace my steps until I was extremely frustrated. And that turned out to be the one thing that affected it.. Overall a good day.

Thanks for the support, folks!

Best regards,

Richard.

Edited by BarbaricGoose
Spell Check

Works afterwards to? Suppose that stands to reason considering you quit to Aesir between the two levels. Killing GRNDL like this may also be a good idea before standard level runs, not just for farming, as it means that you'll get health orbs instantly too. This could be another tip for people going after the unstoppables. Handy stuff.

Thanks alot for all your hard work Goose, really good stuff. I'm sure I speak for everyone else who spider farms when I say we really appreciate the hard work you put into troubleshooting this.

Edited by FlipSwitch

That's strange FlipSwitch, I guess it really drop randomly. I've gotten pretty decent amount of runes, weapons, and three epic armor now (helmet, chest, and boots). Did that for approximately 8 hours so far... Does Class make any difference for dropping ratio?

Indeed, this was mentioned earlier in the post. This is because killing GRNDL and then quitting in this way for some reason triggers a loop in the game code telling the loot items to behave in a certain way, which is strange because it has nothing to do with the loot dropped from GRNDL because your allowed to pick up the loot and it still works.

My theory is that when you have killed GRNDL the game automatically scans the room for loot to be collected before auto-porting you back to Aesir, and actually getting ported back cancels this effect. Quitting before your automatically ported causes the effect not to be cancelled, and so the game keeps scanning rooms so you dont miss any loot. Effect not cancelled until you turn off your box or go to dashboard.

Shame we dont have a resident developer stalking these forums to clarify coding and technical matters, I admit my knowledge of these things is a little limited. Only have basic knowledge of how code works >.<