What kind of game is this?

Hosscat

It´s a jam basically, macedonia alike, with tons of other genres into it and not specializing in anything.

There are gams that do this right and games that don´t, and it´s rarely something that likes everyone.

If I try to compare this game to any other in the industry I will go easy and say that is like a Zelda that tries to be a little more "mature", in the sense of having a plot that involves political stuff for instance (so don´t take mature for sex, blood and heavy metal) and taking places on a Sci-Fi scenario with little paint splashes of a dystopia, but without going as far as Final Fantasy VII dystopia.

You play in 3 person point of view as Jade, a freelance reporter that controls a little bit of taking pictures, driving a hovercraft/spaceship vehicle, melee action with a large stick and some kicks, stealth mode and dialogue with the local folks of town. None of this features is actually played smoothly, specially since the HD remake doesn´t fix the fact that this is a past generation console game and suffer from it´s controls (the camera specially is the most awful, although you will ended up caching it).

The game has an awesome plot that is well written, likable characters, secrets, collectables, some RPG elements on the surface and a very cinematic way to tell you the story without lacking gameplay. On the other hand, the game can be complete very shortly, the map is really small and the fact that the game is a "jack of all trades" kind of deal that doesn´t master any of the features it has is something that can really annoy some people.

The game become historical, first because this kind of "genres mixture" was at that time something only japanese developers will do, and secondly because it was in Ubisofts best moments and the game selling not well ended up screwing the company (the game was one of the lasts in the past generation, and didn´t get too much publicity, so the high scores in magazines and alikes didn´t work). There´s a lot of fanboys for this game, and lots of haters as well, I´m kind of in the middle hoping I would had play more in the past since on this days I find myself always forgetting the game and still I haven´t finished this HD remake.

There´s a demo, you should really try it out, while it does not show all of the things the game as to offer, at least leave you taste most of the main stuff (the staff combat and the camera, just missing the stealth and driving) and may grow your hype in discovering the plot, which I really consider the biggest thing for this game and the one thing that lead to it both in the past and the present.

It´s a game hard to classified and one of those who will most likely push you to hate it or love it. Still, it´s just 800 and for the long and content of the game, it´s a steal, so if you happen to enjoy the demo, take it without a doubt.