How I did the "Protecting The Relic"

thejackyltm

Ok, first off I was really really dreading this part. I get frustrated and upset EASY and quickly. Especially with games lol. After reading all the horrid posts about this section I was prepared to pretty much snap so I turned some tunes on high and just played. And I found this part rather easy, compared to some other spots. Probably pure luck, but ima just throw out what I did and hopefully help some others out. I have it set on Legendary difficulty and the weapon im using is the long legendary staff. It only took me 2 tries to get this.

1. Immediately command thanes to close the passage to the right.

while they're doing this go to the wooden platform.

2.Help command them closigin this off then stop and fight off the men that're coming for the relic

3. stay right at the relic and just swing that staff with everything you got aiming for the one closest to relic with the long reach of the staff itll it more than what you need.

4. after the passage is closed, send thanes to first boulder, just have them go at it at their normal pace. Let it roll when it does. and just stay at the platform.

5.anytime anyone starts beraking through order ur men to protect you an swing away wit the staff.

rinse and repeat but dont release the second boulder until the trolls start coming. and let your men fight with any trolls that are left and with hope they wont let the troll through. when you think everything is done, go an finish off any stragglers.

hope this helps and hopefully this makes sense. if not let me know and ill help anyone out. im kinda stoked so i rushed through it.

nice work, i just got frustrated with this level and decided to take a break. Little did i know when i loaded it up again they started me at the beginning of level 11. This game is horrible with saves, very disappointing!! I can't even try your ideas because i don't know if i am up to doing this whole board again.. damn it!

yeah the saves are crap, just remember the save you at the BEGINNING of each episode not each objective. But yes this game is EXTREMELY frustrating..I was actually having some kind of fun with this game, wasn't nearly as bad as what I had heard. I mean some crappy things well more than some but I was going through it not wanting to kill myself. But now the more I play it the more I scream how much I hate this game and how damn broken the gameplay is. Its like playing a really bad NES game that is just cheap. Some things to this game give no explanation and it does what it wants.

• 4 weeks later...

My way worked much better. It was quite easy once i figured out the different waves of enemies.

So immediately I ordered my men to close off the passage on your right. If you just press LB + X one time, then it'll only send 3 men. So press that combination again to get 6 men over there, it'll go faster. Then just stay where you are and start up that chant to help them out. Finish it.

Now go up to the relic and fight off the first wave of enemies. The first wave is easiest because there are no enemies with shields. Keep in mind that there is a weapon rack of axes right near you, so watch for your weapon to break, even legendary weapons do break.

After the first wave there will be a little break in between, so get 6 of your guys started on the right boulder WITHOUT chanting. Wait until you get that prompt to push RB, which will turn beowulf to look out into the sea to see the next wave of enemies. After you gain control, start the chant and finish it. Then be prepared to fight right afterwards. You should of killed the majority of that wave of enemies with that boulder, but there will be about 6-7 that you and your thanes will have to fight off.

The next wave will include the 2 trolls. Again there will be a little break in between the waves of enemies. Command 6 of your men to start working on the left boulder WITHOUT chanting. Now this one you have to time just right. The RB command will flash, press it, look out into the sea. Then right when the trolls rise up from the water and start walking on the beach begin the chant. As the boulder falls you can turn around and see if it kills both trolls. It should hit them before they get to the entrance. If not, start sooner, or later. Bam, 2 trolls dead.

Then immediately after the trolls get smashed there will be one more wave of enemies. Call your men up to help you by the relic. Some will come some wont, dont worry about it. Use your heroic boost to help defeat the last wave of enemies.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got mad, after about 4 tries and quit. Turn it back and gotta start back at the beginning of 11, DUMB. I'll have to try these methods next time. Hate this game.

EDIT: OMG I finally got it, I was terrible at it so it took me like 10 tries but following you guide did help.

Edited by JohnTheGamer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The part where you have to play through Episode 11 again is pretty stupid. At the same time it saved my ass on the second playthrough because the game only let me revive 3 Thanes. I was able to restart and bring all my thanes with me to this part.

This tip is awesome! The only thing was my spear broke on wave 2 (wtf? legendary weapon?). I found if you stand on the ramp and go into carnal and just press x one push at a time (no combo) it works great. Also I got my boulders to 80% ish in between waves.

• 3 months later...
My way worked much better. It was quite easy once i figured out the different waves of enemies.

So immediately I ordered my men to close off the passage on your right. If you just press LB + X one time, then it'll only send 3 men. So press that combination again to get 6 men over there, it'll go faster. Then just stay where you are and start up that chant to help them out. Finish it.

Now go up to the relic and fight off the first wave of enemies. The first wave is easiest because there are no enemies with shields. Keep in mind that there is a weapon rack of axes right near you, so watch for your weapon to break, even legendary weapons do break.

After the first wave there will be a little break in between, so get 6 of your guys started on the right boulder WITHOUT chanting. Wait until you get that prompt to push RB, which will turn beowulf to look out into the sea to see the next wave of enemies. After you gain control, start the chant and finish it. Then be prepared to fight right afterwards. You should of killed the majority of that wave of enemies with that boulder, but there will be about 6-7 that you and your thanes will have to fight off.

The next wave will include the 2 trolls. Again there will be a little break in between the waves of enemies. Command 6 of your men to start working on the left boulder WITHOUT chanting. Now this one you have to time just right. The RB command will flash, press it, look out into the sea. Then right when the trolls rise up from the water and start walking on the beach begin the chant. As the boulder falls you can turn around and see if it kills both trolls. It should hit them before they get to the entrance. If not, start sooner, or later. Bam, 2 trolls dead.

Then immediately after the trolls get smashed there will be one more wave of enemies. Call your men up to help you by the relic. Some will come some wont, dont worry about it. Use your heroic boost to help defeat the last wave of enemies.

Digging through this forum and the internet at large I found plenty of strats on how to complete this mission. This one seemed to be the best and was the one that worked for me in the end. The timing was just right on the boulders and only took two tries to get it right with this method. gg.

• 1 month later...

I finally managed to do this part on Legend/carnal after much frustration, using the methods suggested here...defo hardest section of the game.

For me the deciding factor here seemed to be killing both trolls with one boulder. I stood on the platform where the relic is and ordered my men to shift the boulder, timing it so that both should get hit. Even if one survives, its a pain in the ass killing it quickly enough to get ready for the final wave.

Other than that I kept on the walkway to the platform and just freakin mauled on anything that came by with combos; if anything got by, I turned off carnal and just tried to take their attention off the relic.Using carnel on that little platform unless you're real careful is asking for trouble.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The best tip I can give for this segment. Follow Dubbleups guide but one deviation.

On the third wave, do not order your men to cut the boulders until the RB button comes on screen. Right when the RB button comes on screen order 6 men to start on the left boulder, then hit the RB button. When that little mini cutscene is over then start the chant. This should give the trolls enough time to come up the hill and run right in the path of the boulder.

After those are taken care of then just guard that cross from any that stand in your way.

After about 10 tries I was able to finally get this one done. Of course it wasn't after a few beers either. hah. Man this game blows.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

The first time i put this game in my xbox was on (13/04/09) after watching the movie and I quickly got pissed of with it when I got to the relic and the guide didn't help out much at the time, so i sold it to get MASS Effect(best think I did to date) anyway One year on(14/02/10) I got it again for a few quid(£) and tried it on legendary and again I got pissed off with it at the relic the fragile fraking relic that easily breaks no matter what i did and yes I threw my controller at the wall in temper, lol. So I traded it for HALO3 (another great thing i did,lol) And here I am again today(08/03/12), lol. I just got back from GAMESTATION with a load of cheap games lol. and this was one of them for 98p, lol. So this time It's gonna get done, i am going to save that fraking relic using this guide after seeing all the responses for the gamer who did it this way, so thank you thejackyltm for putting this solution up, i will do it this way in the next few days and let you all know if i did it or smashed another controller, lol.

Edited by DigitALxBullets
spelling

• 11 months later...

This part of the game is easily the hardest, the fact is that I managed to do it pretty easily on my Legend play through and then on my second play through I found is so much tougher and it actually lead me to just give the game away. Now that I've ordered another copy I really hope this strategy will help as it's plain sailing past this part.

• 1 month later...

This helped so much, managed to do it on my first try using this method, cheers.

• 2 months later...

Does this not work on Legend difficulty? I am playing on legend and it's different. For instance, first wave has enemies with shield. Or does the game become harder if I keep dying because I could have sworn the first wave doesn't have human enemies, only those formor bastards.