Achievements to be ashamed of?

Capn Doug

A little while ago, my buddy got one of the Lego Rock Band 100% achievements on Super Easy. The others in my group of Rock Band friends all have the achievement, but we got it on hard or expert. Got me thinking, are there achievements that we should be ashamed to have gotten?

Sometimes we get an achievement that is glitched in our favour (Conan's Strength of 10 men for me) whether puposly or accidentaly, other times we run the last hundred meters of our friend's marathon (GH World Tour has a few achievements like this). Sometimes we use cheat codes, other times we monkey with the difficulty so that it is impossible not to get the achievement. Sometimes we do things that we would never do in the game just to get the achievement. Other times, we save the game in order to get an achievement for doing something one way, then reload to do it the other (Orange Box's Sumbissive & Defiant).

So the question I want to put out there is, "Are there achievements that you have gotten that you are ashamed of?" It can be for any reason, but do you have any, or are points points no matter how you get them?

For me, Conan's Strength of 10 Men glitched and I got it without deserving it, but I probably would have gotten it eventually, now I just don't have to try for it.

All of my arcade game achievements, like Dash of Destruction or Small Arms (not Worms though, I actually enjoyed that one).

They just show how much of a GS addict I am. Haha.

And as far as getting one I don't think I deserve, the "Be The Knife" achievement on Resident Evil 5, where you deflect an arrow with a knife. I got it while screwing around, didn't even know it was an achievement, and got 60G. I felt like I should have had to try harder for those points. Haha.

Edited by Massa Siggy

Me and a couple friends started boosting for Halo 3 multiplayer achievements almost all of them we got like the extermination one and 5 kills within 4 seconds of each kill none of use would be able to do that so we said screw and we got exp suspended for 2 weeks. It was worth it I think.

All of my arcade game achievements, like Dash of Destruction or Small Arms (not Worms though, I actually enjoyed that one).

They just show how much of a GS addict I am. Haha.

And as far as getting one I don't think I deserve, the "Be The Knife" achievement on Resident Evil 5, where you deflect an arrow with a knife. I got it while screwing around, didn't even know it was an achievement, and got 60G. I felt like I should have had to try harder for those points. Haha.

Why would you be ashamed of that? The game was free and it was a bit of fun attached to it. Nothing to be ashamed for..

I don't have any achievements that I am ashamed of. NBA Street Homecourt had kind of easy achievements that took me about 8 hours. But I enjoyed that game because I love basketball. So I have nothing to be ashamed of.

Team Fortress 2, you can get the different map achievements (as well as some others) by using system link (it works even with just 1 player). I used it only for the Gravel Pit one ("Defend Gravel Pit without giving up a capture" since it's pretty hard/lucky to get anyways), but for the record I've met the requirements twice since in a real match.

I try to avoid this as much as possible even when most do it, for example Fallout 3's level achievements. You can just reload a save and change your karma for the 12 different achievements (3 for each karma, at levels 8, 14 ,20 - at level 30 you can use a perk which makes it even easier) but I actually got 3 different characters to level 30.

I did that Fallout 3 trick, too. Mostly because I bought a lot of games at the same time, including Fallout, and sort of wanted to play everything. Plus, I wasn't sure that there was going to be a lot of replay value (there is eminant replay value) unless I genuinely wanted to be a bastard, which seemed cruel to do to those nice people of the Capital Wasteland. Coincidentally, after playing Fallout, I decided to make sure I was no longer staying up until 5 in the morning playing games, because at that point in time, the line between me and the Lone Wanderer started to blur.

Ahem... Anyway, only the sports games have those acheivements that I feel kind of ashamed of. There are some, like score a goal with your goalie, that I don't think I would ever come by naturally, so I got a friend to trade those ones instead of trying to get it naturally. Though for the record, I did score while 2 men down legit to get that achievement. Kind of proud of that one.

My only real desire, sometimes (when i am not in power gamer mode), is that I didn't look at the achievement list before playing a cool game. Then I could be pleasantly surprised when I get an achievement. Plus it changes the way I play the game. I did that with the first game I played (Fable II), then decided not to play games a second time just to get achievements. Some games just aren't worth that second play through.

Well im not ashamed of them yet but thats cause i dont have them yet but sometime soon my friend is gonna come round and finish off my expert careers for gh2, wt and rb. i can get to like 3 songs to go then nah. which i really hate. at one point i was gonna get one of my really good gh m8s to get me the inhuman achievement but then i thought maybe not;)

There is no such thing as a shameful achievement, if you met the requirements for the achievement then there is nothing to complain about it is up to the developer to choose the difficultly of the achievements, and if cheats or glitches exist around the achievement that too is the developers fault and you should not feel bad for having exploited it as long as you did not use outside tools to edit the game.