Case West or Case Zero?

For me it was no question, considering that my opinion has almost nothing to do with the story of either. CZ was much more appealing for me because it helped me reaquaint myself with the world of DR, as well as get me pumped up for the new one. It provided us with the 1st look at some of the new gameplay features (Building) and characters (Chuck & Katie). It just got us 'ready' which is an idea that i hope other series' implement in the future.

CZ seemed like stale dlc for fans who missed Frank, I being one of them. Although, seeing Frank is anticlimatic and the nostaligia factor wears off quick within the 4-hour gametime and boring environments.

My point is that i like the idea of "almost" prequel dlc as opposed to post. I've never been a fan of extra content that is forced to expand an already complete story. It tends to put strain on the original plot.

What do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

Each one has it's own appeal to me:

Case Zero -

I really enjoyed Case Zero. It was a fantastic game for being an arcade title. I was wanting Dead Rising 2 so badly, watching trailers and looking at pictures. I just couldn't wait to play it. Which may be why I fell for Case Zero. I ended up playing it again, and it came out to be really short. I mean, it did it's job; introduced story line/characters, shown new game mechanics, and gave us some zombie killing action without having to play as Frank West. However, after actually playing Dead Rising and going back, I found the original charm that had me playing the arcade title hundreds of times wasn't there. And then I realized it was because I had the actual game which was way more entailed. Don't get me wrong, I love the title. I just think that I fell in love with it because I didn't have anything better.

Case West -

When the title came out, I didn't buy it at first. Then when I did buy it, I didn't play it. I was still working on some other games and didn't want to get too involved with Dead Rising. So when I finally beat it and loaded in Case West, I was pleasantly surprised. I was kind of lost when the story began (as I always finished OT in DR2) but things began to make sense and I was having some fun playing. I liked how there were special people (soldiers and prodders) from the beginning which added a bit of a challenge. I also like the fact that the survivors didn't cling onto you. For being a smaller map, I found this really nice. The new combo weapons are insane (especially the double combo weapon) and having Frank West and Chuck Green bicker back and forth is entertaining enough for me to watch the cut scenes more than once. I didn't like that the one main psycho had a huge life bar and that the impact hammer guys were everywhere towards the final missions, but it kept me entertained, it added a nice perspective to the story, and I had a blast getting the achievements for it.

Overall:

Comparing the two games side by side, Case West has to be my favorite one. However, it has to be taken that when Case Zero was released, Dead Rising 2 was still in development, so it was almost like a premium beta. Case West came out after Dead Rising was established, so they knew what things worked and what things didn't. They also sat back and listened to the community at things people were unhappy with the retail game and made some minor adjustments. Having the co-op element was a nice add-on for the game (though I like the Dead Rising solo experience better) and it was nice seeing Frank West again. So though its hard for me to say that I choose Case West over Case Zero, it is easier for me to say that I love the series as a whole, and cannot wait for the next installment.

• 4 weeks later...

I have both and I do like them both. I think it helps to look at the context of the two games.

Case Zero - this was pretty much a glorified demo. But for those who couldn't wait for DR2, I think it was alot of fun and had plenty of moments. It really introduced the system changes to DR2. As a demo, it succeeds. However, once DR2 and DR2:CW came out, it pales in almost everything except the environment (CZ had buildings and a make-shift health center; CW had one building... although the XXX lounge in the living quarters was LOL-worth). There was no need to get it afterward, since there is actually nothing that adds to the story.

Case West - An epilogue and it does pretty good too. This one has its moments again and again, with the banter between Greene and West. The photography felt tacked on, only for the 2 achievements, and it was irritating to play co-op as Frank, since the guy playing Chuck would want to save and you'd get booted. Still, it was great addition story-wise with some interesting new combo weapons. Environment was lacking, maybe they could've added an outside yard or something. Seeing all the equipment was still neat though. And finally, it really did set up the stage for DR3. Climactic ending, fun boss battle; This game is totally relevant to the overall canon of the series.

• 1 month later...

These are both on sale as the Xbox Live Deal of the Week this week..

Basically, I have both demos on my hard drive but haven't bought either.. I guess you could say for $7.50 for both, its hard to go wrong buying them but with the first Dead Rising.. I hated the setup where you had a time limit to do everything and the save feature kind of sucked.. Knowing this, would you recommend/not recommend either Case West or Case Zero? Zero sounds like it has the same time limits and save structure as the original, but I enjoyed the demo.

I may pick them both up though..

These are both on sale as the Xbox Live Deal of the Week this week..

Basically, I have both demos on my hard drive but haven't bought either.. I guess you could say for $7.50 for both, its hard to go wrong buying them but with the first Dead Rising.. I hated the setup where you had a time limit to do everything and the save feature kind of sucked.. Knowing this, would you recommend/not recommend either Case West or Case Zero? Zero sounds like it has the same time limits and save structure as the original, but I enjoyed the demo.

I may pick them both up though..

I just bought both because it was on sale, can't go wrong with half off. I probably will just play CZ first because lots of reviews say CW is better, so I don't want to play CW through and be disappointed with CZ.

I never played Deadrising, hopefully it's good.

Case Zero, hands down because CW is garbage tbh.

I really really really enjoyed CZ, a great little self contained DR game. CW though has bored me to death, terrible setting, too short a story to really get anything of value from having Frank involved, and the experience is hugely repetitive, which I've never felt from DR before. Boring Grey room after boring grey room. Oh, look, another squad of guys with guns or cattleprods that I NEED to shoot as every other weapon is worse against them (so why the point of the other weapons?) Oh and look now, a crap Bigg Daddy/Terminator Marine wannabe with a powerfist.

It's a yawn fest.

• 1 month later...

Case Zero > Case West

Had a way better story and honestly even though it was XBLA I enjoyed it better than Dead Rising 2. I found Case West to be out of place and they definitely could have done something better with the story from where the game picked off to where it ended.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Case Zero, because it was a brilliant suprise for 400 MSP nobody was expecting much & it was absolutely brilliant

Case west was ok but the guards & all the guys with hammers just annoyed me after a while i just wanted to kill zombies & i was being flashbanged & shot from a distance while trying to just have fun

Case West is good but Case Zero is better IMHO.

I liked the mini-sandbox world of CZ. CW was a bit annoying as the 1990's style respawning game environment both games use had a greater impact on "reality".

Not sure if that last bit makes sense in words :wtf