Sniper envy?

RECON is one of the four choices for this game -- as opposed to, say, spawn-campers -- or any of the other assorted forms of douchebaggery that occur.

So why does there seem to be so much hate for the recon guys? I really don't get it. Deep in the BC2 forums was a video someone posted about a team of snipers getting blown up. Aside from the video being a little stupid, I was surprised by the attitude of most of the people who responded. I didn't realize so many players thought so lowly of snipers. Of course the opposition hates it, but I have had teammates mark my position with smoke or tracers, or even try to nuke me with grenades or mortars. What's the deal? I burn far fewer tickets than most others on the map....and - as so many whiners often accuse - I am not avoiding the action.

As a recon fan, I try to do exactly what the name implies...reconnaissance. I spot enemies and vehicles. I toss motion mines and plant tracers. I try to put as much information on the map as possible to help my team. I snipe occasionally - and most often as a last resort or to protect a teammate. Probably most important of all is that I try NOT to give my position away. If I can sit on one spot the whole time and be effective then I will. I get accused of being a 'camper' sometimes, but why? That is what a recon guy is supposed to do. The whole idea of a ghillie suit is to blend in with your environment and make detection as difficult as possible for grunts and pilots. If a recon guy was supposed to charge down the map, runnin' and gunnin', and popping somebody as they round the corner, then wouldn't they be dressed like a medic, engineer, or assault guy and carry a fast-action weapon with a short scope?

Bush wookie I may be, but when I punch your ticket I can guarantee it will happen on the field and not in your spawn area. More often than not you will get waxed by someone other than a sniper - so what's the big deal when a sniper does you in?

Because there is a preponderance of people who get on as a recon guy and sit in or near the spawn point and never move. You sound like an effective recon person doing what your job is supposed to do.

The problem is the people who end up bottom of the scoreboard with half a dozen kills and no deaths. They really haven't helped the team towards victory.

There is nothing worse than ending up in a squad with only recon guys who haven't moved forward. You spend a lot of time running back towards the fight.

The most effective recon guy I teamed with was running around with a shotgun and motion mines. He was the best person to be with to take out a room full of enemies.

As said the hatered for recons comes from the fact that it seems that most of the players just sit and snipe with it, instead of doing the recon bit. Everyone here has probably seen the wookiegathering on popular snipingplaces where they just sit around sniping and not doing anything that could help their team.

Thankfully playing on European servers has spared me from much of the annoying people who try to difficult your playing by being a dick.

I have never understood the hatred for the recon class. People complain about how people play as the recon, but I find it just as annoying when I am low on ammo and the assault class isn't dropping ammo for me, or I am in a nearly destroyed tank and the engineer isn't repairing it.

I played as the recon in my last game (rush on Atacama Desert); although we lost I top scored and in the process I managed to get 20+ motion spot assists. Not bad for a wookie...

janus, all I can say to you is not to take it personally.

In all games, we're given lots of toys to play with, but people are always bound to follow certain patterns of behavior, or use these tools and gadgets in ways that the developers never intended (tactical insertions in Call of Duty are a great example.)

The problem is that, even if you play an honest game and use all the mechanics to the best of your abilities, there's always going to be dozens of other people who NEVER spot and just like sitting back and getting an occasional Marksman Bonus which they can brag about later.

Riding Fakie is right in saying that other classes are JUST as guilty, but I do think that the Recon class is the most popular, so it makes sense for it to be the figurehead of awful players. A similar issue exists in Homefront, where usually a quarter to a third of your team in any game will be sporting the M110 sniper rifle.

Personally I don't understand where this inane fascination with sniper rifles comes from, but it's pretty much the case for all console FPS' at the moment.

A final thing I'll note is that, even if somebody's playing a useful Recon game, they have to kinda take stock of the team's current actions. I've had quite a few Rush matches where the top scorers on my team were Recon, and even though I could get in and plant bombs numerous times, they would never descend from their hillside so that they could get a better shot at the bomb sites' interiors.

Assists are a big part of playing any class in Bad Company, but sometimes it's necessary to forget about the concept of classes and just swarm the objectives.

Don't think there is much more to be said really in this topic, the reasons for sniper hatred are fairly obvious. Nothing sucks more than a fast dwindling ticket count and a squad full of snipers sitting a long way from the spawn and unfortunately yes they do suck most of the time and often have the lowest scores which make it worse. You sound like a good recon player OP, alas most of the time it is not you with whom we will be paired.

Nothing wrong choosing the recon class, especially not if you use it like that. Its a great asset to the team.

Im more of the assault type, but use recon quite a bit.

But there is that annoying, quite large part of the community(as people before me have mentioned).. Its sad, but people choose what they want to.

After playing since release day, Im getting used too the usual sniperspots.. lets see, we got "sniper hill" on arica, with the attacking snipers behind the rocks, and the defenders knifing them from above.. we got the same deal on port valdez. We got the lighthouse on valparaiso.. The first hill on isla innocentes(+ the little island on the left). We got the boats on atacama.. and so on.

It leaves nothing to the imagination.. even though the snipers are supposed to be hidden, you always know where to find them.

1. M24 is the most used weapon in the game.

2. Motion Sensors are OP.

3. Quickscopers are annoying as hell.

4. No one likes getting sniped.

It's not a completely broken class, but I just find it annoying to fight. I never play it myself unless I see the need to counter motion sensor spam. Which should never be the case.

People hate them because they make the game slow down, and in bfbc2 the pace is already slow enough. And everyone hates being killed by some camping ghillie ruining the fun, IMO the recon class should not return to bf3. Instead there should be 1 sniper laying in a random location on a roof or something with a bipod and limited ammo, the sniper could also kill in 1 shot because there would be only 1 sniper, that way the game is not infested with stupid snipers and can be deadly.

People hate them because they make the game slow down, and in bfbc2 the pace is already slow enough. And everyone hates being killed by some camping ghillie ruining the fun, IMO the recon class should not return to bf3. Instead there should be 1 sniper laying in a random location on a roof or something with a bipod and limited ammo, the sniper could also kill in 1 shot because there would be only 1 sniper, that way the game is not infested with stupid snipers and can be deadly.

Well in that case there would be a big hassle around the snipers spawnplace as everyone and their mother wants to be a sniper. Also I don't really think that it would increase the pace of the game, as in the hands of a good sniper the one shot kills would easily stop an attack.

Ok BC2 system isn't that good also, but I would rather let the players have the freedom of choosing what class to play. They will learn not to spam Recon after losing all of their matches for quite some time.

I'm not sure I understand your logic. People hate being shot by a sniper...but they're okay being shot by a medic? I fail to see how getting killed by a recon class is less fun than being killed by any other. If anything it should make you realize you should be paying more attention and be more careful about getting caught out in the open. I also fail to see how this makes the game slower. If the recon class should be limited to one guy, then it should follow - by your logic - that there should be only one medic, one assault, and one engineer. A team full of any single class should be avoided. I see teams of medics ever-spawning way more than I see a team of snipers. It's annoying as hell, but they have found a way to make it work for them. Is that supposed to be okay as long as they are not snipers?

I'm not sure I understand your logic. People hate being shot by a sniper...but they're okay being shot by a medic? I fail to see how getting killed by a recon class is less fun than being killed by any other. If anything it should make you realize you should be paying more attention and be more careful about getting caught out in the open. I also fail to see how this makes the game slower. If the recon class should be limited to one guy, then it should follow - by your logic - that there should be only one medic, one assault, and one engineer. A team full of any single class should be avoided. I see teams of medics ever-spawning way more than I see a team of snipers. It's annoying as hell, but they have found a way to make it work for them. Is that supposed to be okay as long as they are not snipers?

Snipers slow the pace down, in your own words you said they keep you from going out in the open. And snipers sit 500 miles away (exagerated). And medics do the objective fight up close (creating action) and don't camp. So yeah I would rather fight a team of medics it's funner.

If you think I said snipers slow the game down , then you clearly misunderstood my words. I play the recon role the way I think it should be played - which is sometimes accomplished by 'camping' (I can think of no other reason why they would be wearing a ghillie suit) and passing along information to the other team members who are better suited for direct action. How does me sitting somewhere slow your game down?

I still fail to understand your logic. You said they make the game - or the action - slower. How? If there were no snipers - then you'd die just as often because there would be more medics, engineers, and assault guys shooting you. Are you saying snipers kill you too often and therefore slow the action down? Or are you saying you don't get killed often enough because so many players on the map are recon? Or you don't get to kill enough because the snipers are hard to find? I just don't understand what you are trying to say.... or how a slow game can be attributed to the recon player.

I'm interested in learning the different reasons for people disliking the recon class. If your reason is really that they slow the game down - then please explain how. I know I'm sounding argumentative - and that is not my intention - I really am interested in hearing your response. I just need more details. Please explain, because right now your reason appears to be "just because". And that's fine, but it's not really much of a reason.

If you think I said snipers slow the game down , then you clearly misunderstood my words. I play the recon role the way I think it should be played - which is sometimes accomplished by 'camping' (I can think of no other reason why they would be wearing a ghillie suit) and passing along information to the other team members who are better suited for direct action. How does me sitting somewhere slow your game down?

I still fail to understand your logic. You said they make the game - or the action - slower. How? If there were no snipers - then you'd die just as often because there would be more medics, engineers, and assault guys shooting you. Are you saying snipers kill you too often and therefore slow the action down? Or are you saying you don't get killed often enough because so many players on the map are recon? Or you don't get to kill enough because the snipers are hard to find? I just don't understand what you are trying to say.... or how a slow game can be attributed to the recon player.

I'm interested in learning the different reasons for people disliking the recon class. If your reason is really that they slow the game down - then please explain how. I know I'm sounding argumentative - and that is not my intention - I really am interested in hearing your response. I just need more details. Please explain, because right now your reason appears to be "just because". And that's fine, but it's not really much of a reason.

Alright, you say ''passing information to teamates'' recon's don't do that, They tag but how do they pass information? And yes I would rather fight medics and assaults I have a chance against them, they're not 500 yards away. So when a ghillie is so far away I don't even see them or have a chance against them I do get pissed when they kill me. That's my logic.

Now I get it. Cool.

If a recon guy is doing his job and the teammates are doing their job - and paying attention, then recon does (or should) pass along quite a bit of information. If I have a clear view of the action I am able to spot enemies or vehicles trying to sneak up on unsuspecting teammates, who are focused on what's in front of them. They hear the announcement and the little orange triangle shows up on their screen as well as mine - so they can (hopefully) respond accordingly. I also have the option to take the shot myself - and I do, especially when my guys are too involved or being overrun. I miss a lot, or hit without killing, but sometimes it distracts the attacker enough that he forgets about what he's doing, trying to figure out who just shot him - and since he's lit up, he's now vulnerable to anyone on my team. I hit vehicles - and individuals - with tracers. I follow bullet trails back to the shooter to call them out or shoot them. I can nuke a building or tree line with mortars for stubborn enemies. And if I'm close enough, I can use motion mines (which are supposed to benefit teammates - not snipers themselves) to direct fire to an enemy I have no direct sight of.

It gets a little ridiculous sometimes with the number of snipers that pop up. (Like last night playing rush) Just after I got blown away, we advanced to the next objective - I came in as a sniper to help spot where the bad guys were concentrating... I ran up on the objective to find 4 snipers already there. And they were all standing together - just dumb. I chucked my mines, ran out into the action and did what damage I could before getting waxed so I could come back as a different class.

Anyway - thank you for clarifying your position. I aim to improve the experience of getting headshot by a sniper, it should be as painless as possible.

Snipers are hated in all games because you remember it.

If you get sprayed up by some random guy you don't take notice. If you get blown up by a random tank shell you don't notice. But when you get picked off by a sniper you tend to remember that.

So getting killed by a sniper feels more personal, and it's only magnified if its the same person doing it.

Snipers are hated in all games because you remember it.

If you get sprayed up by some random guy you don't take notice. If you get blown up by a random tank shell you don't notice. But when you get picked off by a sniper you tend to remember that.

So getting killed by a sniper feels more personal, and it's only magnified if its the same person doing it.

That's exactly it!

Sometimes, I see around 4 snipers in one place, sometimes, I'm the only person on my time who isn't a sniper. When I was doing the Recon SPECACT, I found that I could barely ever get many kills, all because I was too far out and people didn't come out in the place I was sniping, then I got killed really easy :( I don't mind quick scoping though but the aim assist isn't high enough for me so I can't get the guys on the first shot most of the time. I prefer to get shot down by medics but I always stay as the Assault class, I love the M16 :)

• 2 weeks later...
Because there is a preponderance of people who get on as a recon guy and sit in or near the spawn point and never move. You sound like an effective recon person doing what your job is supposed to do.

The problem is the people who end up bottom of the scoreboard with half a dozen kills and no deaths. They really haven't helped the team towards victory.

There is nothing worse than ending up in a squad with only recon guys who haven't moved forward. You spend a lot of time running back towards the fight.

The most effective recon guy I teamed with was running around with a shotgun and motion mines. He was the best person to be with to take out a room full of enemies.

^This. Don't get me wrong, it's real fun to play as recon, but perhaps if you want to be recon, you should just stick to Deathmatch, because in games like rush, it really takes a toll on a team when they're basically on a handicap because they have half their players just sniping. Recon works well in conquest though, just because the maps are so big and so its easy for the the recon class to play aggressively.

Yeah like many people have already mentioned I have never fully understood why there is so much HATE for snipers. Even though most snipers are not that good, I say just have fun with the game or play with your friends to take your mind off it then. Even if snipers don't connect with their shots they still clearly have an impact on the game by scaring away members of the other team. If you're a great sniper with gravity motion mines mortar etc. You will make a big positive impact for your team.