Basketball rules

Mtld

I have a few questions about basketball...

-What's a double-double, a triple-double?

-What is "Reaching in", and when can I steal the ball?

-What is a "From the Back", when shooting a 3pt ?

-How many fouls can a player get, a team get, and what are the consequences?

-How long is a season (how many games, NBA + College) ?

-Are the rules the same in Collegial and NBA ?

-How can I provoke an offensive foul from the opposite team?

-Are assists worth points on the player stats (like in hockey...)?

Thank you. I'm a neophyte in this sport, although I know everything about dunks, lay-ups, and 3pts... the basics !

I have a few questions about basketball...

-What's a double-double, a triple-double?

Tehre are different stats, points, rebounds, steals, blocks, etc.

A double double means double digits in 2 stats. ie. 10 points, 10 rebounds

Triple double is double digits in 3 stats. ie. 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists.

-What is "Reaching in", and when can I steal the ball?

A "reach in foul" is when you reach in and slap the oppositions arms or other body parts.

-What is a "From the Back", when shooting a 3pt ?

A "from the back foul" is when someone is shooting a shot, and a defender, from behind the shooter, hits a body part of the shooter, thus causing a foul.

-How many fouls can a player get, a team get, and what are the consequences?

6 personal fouls per player - that player cannot play anymore that game

team can get 5 fouls per quarter - after that, the opposition gets free throw shots after each foul (regardles of whether or not it is a shooting foul). itresets at the beginning of every quarter.

-How long is a season (how many games, NBA + College) ?

NBA - 82 games

College -30 or so

-Are the rules the same in Collegial and NBA ?

The rules are basically the same, the main being that the college shot clock (time you have to shoot the ball before it is a turnover) is 35 seconds in college, but 24 in the nba.

-How can I provoke an offensive foul from the opposite team?

You need to "take a charge." There is a button on the controller that will do this, depnding on which game you play. Basically what you do is step in front of a player while you are on defense and click the button. You will stand still (much like someone setting a wall in soccer) and if they run you over = offensive foul on them, your ball

-Are assists worth points on the player stats (like in hockey...)?

No.

Hope i got it all for you, anymore questions let me know. :)

A bit more clarification on a couple of those.

For double-, triple-, and quadruple-doubles, there are five stats that can count for this. They are points, rebounds, blocks, steals, and assists. Many players get double-doubles every season, and there's usually at least a couple triple-doubles. Without checking, I last remember only 4 occurences of someone getting a quadruple-double, the last Hakeem Olajuwon, and no one has ever even approached a quintuple-double. Oscar Robertson is the only player to ever average a triple-double for an entire season.

As for assists counting for stats, that's a yes and no. In hockey, a player ends a season with one most-important stat: points, a total of their goals and assists for the season. In basketball, points are points, assists are assists, and so on. However, they still get tracked and have been for many years. They're still an important aspect of the game, just like in hockey, and some people are known for continually attaining high season and per-game totals/averages.

That may be more than you need to know for the games and their achievements, but ah vell.

Also, the number of fouls for consequences is different in college from the NBA.

In college, it only takes 5 fouls for a player to foul out. In a half, when a team collectively gets 7 fouls, the oppossing team will shoot a 1 and 1 (where they shoot a free throw, and if they miss, the ball is live, but if its made, there's another free throw). When the team reaches 10 fouls in a half, it results in 2 shots.