General Discussion and Recommendations

The Pants Party

I'm currently enjoying; Lazarus, Halo escalation and just started the night of thne living deadpool run.

Also trying to get into Guardians of the Galaxy

Lazarus is awesome, should be getting issues 5 & 6 this weekend.

What is Escalation like? I've been tempted by it.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey man, are you importing from america or is there a uk stockist? Cant seem to find one anywhere.

I managed to find some on amazon and ebay. I think they were UK based.

Just found the links

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I3OI5L6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]BLACK SCIENCE #2 second printing: Amazon.co.uk: Rick Remender, Matteo Scalera: Books[/ame]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161209969947?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Looks like the Amazon one is sold out now though.

I just picked up Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection. Figured with the movie coming out soon and all, I would give it a shot, will let you know how it is once I finish it!

This is it: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Captain-America-Vol-Ultimate-Collection/dp/0785143416/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1391969017]Captain America, Vol. 1: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection: Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting, Mike Perkins, Michael Lark: 9780785143413: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

• 3 weeks later...

The last few big things I picked up before subscribing for the year was

Spiderman New Ways To Die six issue run detailing the birth of Anti-Venom

World War Hulk: X-men three issue side to WWH (among my favorites)

X-Men: Days of Future Past entirity when it was on sale

My favorite runs of all time though have been:

Captain America & Falcon: Cap Wolf run

Iron Man Armor Wars & Demon in a Bottle

Spiderman: Carnage (first appearance - 3 issue run)

Marvel Zombies 1, 2 & Dead Days

Marvel Civil War main 7 issues

Planet Hulk/World War Hulk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Decided to get back to the classics and I'm reading through The Amazing Spider-Man, currently on Issue 10. Want to go and check out Deadpool as well, as I love the idea of the character but never really read the comics.

I think all Deadpool is great all around but you can definitely get a different appeal depending on who's writing him. I personally love Posehns take on him.

I actually just told him via wall-to-wall messages that the current run isn't that great. :p

I think the last few issues have been good, as they've finally delved into his story. But the first 20ish were all just "here's some funny situations and black chick in his head lol" - not the best stories he's ever had. They were funny, but never really developed him that much.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't about any particular title so I'm putting it here, even though it could be an entire topic to itself probably, but I'm curious where people get their comics from and how, i.e. physical or digital. Pants I gather gets his from Amazon Kindle as of the September 1st post. I also gather that he's a fan of Deadpool but I could be mistaken lol.

I'm asking because I stopped collecting comics for a few years but have gotten back into it since the Avengers movie. I typically go through Midtown since they're so much cheaper than anyone else, though DCBS can be cheaper on some titles, but part of me wants to go digital just to save space and because it's a pain moving all my boxes around without adding more to it as I've been doing lately. There are no comic stores around me within at least 20 mile radius that I've found so that's why I order online.

Well, let's just say I read mine on an Amazon Kindle and leave it at that... :p

I was severely opposed to digital books of any kind, but I've had a Kindle for over two years now and I love it. The Fire is especially awesome because I can also load Netflix, and side-load all my anime and other media as well. One stop shop for any type of media I want. :)

I really wish I could afford to have my collection still. I had complete runs of every Marvel title I enjoyed from 2002-2011 before family circumstances basically required I sell them and stop buying comics. I had also amassed an Uncanny X-Men run from #182-END. That was my pride and joy... A very sad day, but necessary.

I actually just told him via wall-to-wall messages that the current run isn't that great.

I think the last few issues have been good, as they've finally delved into his story. But the first 20ish were all just "here's some funny situations and black chick in his head lol" - not the best stories he's ever had. They were funny, but never really developed him that much.

It's not spectacular but I enjoyed it. DP can get away with it due to the breaking the Fourth Wall. It's one of the unique factors about him. To each their own though. I personally adored the Cable & Deadpool Run.

This isn't about any particular title so I'm putting it here, even though it could be an entire topic to itself probably, but I'm curious where people get their comics from and how, i.e. physical or digital. Pants I gather gets his from Amazon Kindle as of the September 1st post. I also gather that he's a fan of Deadpool but I could be mistaken lol.

I'm asking because I stopped collecting comics for a few years but have gotten back into it since the Avengers movie. I typically go through Midtown since they're so much cheaper than anyone else, though DCBS can be cheaper on some titles, but part of me wants to go digital just to save space and because it's a pain moving all my boxes around without adding more to it as I've been doing lately. There are no comic stores around me within at least 20 mile radius that I've found so that's why I order online.

Currently, I am subscribed to Marvel Unlimited so I read 'em digitally if available (15,000 comics from the beginning to now, not complete). I, if anything, grab Graphic Novels/Trade Paerbacks as I like a full story. I don't mind great issues but they're mostly "Runs" so I'd rather get the full shabangabang and similar argument that there's no quality comic shop nearby, I resort to the Barnes & Noble megastore, eBay or digital.

lol I understand.

I love having digital books since it's so much more compact. There are no book stores around where I live so the convenience is also very nice.

That was definitely quite the collection. I know it was necessary but I still feel your pain.

I'm actually thinking about getting rid of most of my current collection and essentially starting over but focusing more on just my absolute favorites. I've been doing a lot of research into poly vs mylar bags today and trying to find what brands are good and what brands, if any, should be avoided or lower on the list of preference. Right now though it's looking like Mylites and boards from E Gerber.

@Flibbity Floid - I forgot about Marvel Unlimited. I got it for my dad because he likes the older comics where they actually had complete stories in each issue most of the time. That's a good point about graphic novels and trade paperbacks. They definitely make it easier to get the whole story.

• 1 month later...

Are The Darkness comics worth reading? Just fancy reading something along the lines of somebody getting controlled by something. Just read Venom V2 #1-5 and it was really good may get the rest, anybody read them?

Just bought Dark Knight Returns, Long Halloween, Dark Victory and will probably get The Killing Joke soon. Will I be looked at as a pleb if all I buy is graphic novels in a comic book shop?

• 2 weeks later...

You might seem like a pleb to some but the comic shop owners will definitely appreciate you buying from them. I've just started buying the fable tpbs. There's no way I could get all the single issues quickly and easily so tbp/graphic novels are definitely a great way to go.

Are The Darkness comics worth reading? Just fancy reading something along the lines of somebody getting controlled by something.

I have tried to read that at two times in its history and it really depends on the writer. Phil Hester's run in 2007 was good but the other run I tried (can't remember exactly which) I didn't care for.

Will I be looked at as a pleb if all I buy is graphic novels in a comic book shop?

No - they'll be quite appreciative of the business, as the margins on floppies are pretty slim, especially for smaller shops. That said, though, there's way cheaper options out there. As much as I love supporting my local shops, when I can get the same trades for 40% off at InStockTrades (not sure if linking is allowed here?), it's pretty hard to pull the trigger in person.

I still buy floppies every week at my local shop, and give them tons of business when they run sales, but I could never afford to pay full price for all the trades!

• 3 weeks later...
I actually just told him via wall-to-wall messages that the current run isn't that great. :p

I'm quite enjoying the current Deadpool run I just started from #1 and slowly working my way up to where we are now and buying current physical copies as they come out. I suppose I don't have any of the other Deadpool series to compare to, would you say Way's run was better?

Only reading Batman new 52, Deadpool, and Superior Spiderman at the moment. Are there any Daredevil, Batman, Spiderman or any other recent comic runs (or on going) anyone could recommend for me?

Heard The Dark Knight and the Detective New 52 comic series were pretty bad, not sure if that's true though.