Why is this game getting a bad wrap?

KFZ Scrubs

This game is very much a mix of Uncharted and Far Cry 3, if anyone thinks that's a bad thing, then I don't know what to tell you. Two of my favourite games of this generation combining to make what two hours in, to me, looks like it could be the best Tomb Raider of all time. I'm blown away by it. Can't wait for release to play more!

so youve played it already and this is your review?

Most likely just his opinion on the multiplayer since that's the only disappointing aspect of the game. The Single Player is amazing, and is definitely a great reboot to the series.

Of course it reminds me of my favourite games ever, Uncharted, but why would that be a bad thing?

Exactly.

This game is getting a bad wrap because people fear change. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with the game itself.

idk its just the game isn't that great kind of pulling an uncharted and steering away from past lara games

This Tomb Raider is telling the story of how lara croft became the "lara croft" we all know. So it's not really pulling away from past tomb raiders because she hasn't developed into that person yet.;)

With that said this game really does feel like the older tomb raiders, to me at least. If you meant that they keep making her seem like she's weak and gradually builds herself up then you have nothing to worry about. She isn't a wimp in this game. She has some doubts at the start but then she goes and kicks ass like she always does.

They haven't ruined "lara croft". I think this game is a step in the right direction. It does have a mix of Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, and old school Tomb Raider. That isn't a bad thing. Those are all action adventure games. It's the natural evolution of the genre. Uncharted was inspired by Tomb Raider and now Tomb Raider is expanding on what Uncharted did. The way the story is presented is very much like Uncharted. To me Uncharted has always been like Tomb Raider so it's not a big deal that now Tomb Raider is like Uncharted.

This game is getting a bad wrap because people fear change. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with the game itself.

This Tomb Raider is telling the story of how lara croft became the "lara croft" we all know. So it's not really pulling away from past tomb raiders because she hasn't developed into that person yet.;)

With that said this game really does feel like the older tomb raiders, to me at least. If you meant that they keep making her seem like she's weak and gradually builds herself up then you have nothing to worry about. She isn't a wimp in this game. She has some doubts at the start but then she goes and kicks ass like she always does.

They haven't ruined "lara croft". I think this game is a step in the right direction. It does have a mix of Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, and old school Tomb Raider. That isn't a bad thing. Those are all action adventure games. It's the natural evolution of the genre. Uncharted was inspired by Tomb Raider and now Tomb Raider is expanding on what Uncharted did. The way the story is presented is very much like Uncharted. To me Uncharted has always been like Tomb Raider so it's not a big deal that now Tomb Raider is like Uncharted.

i dont know i feel the narrative is tough to fall for one minute shes almost crying for killing a deer then shes a trained killing machine it jumps around a lot

I only think people dont really like it because of two things

1. Multiplayer

2. Achievements

Thats all thats really wrong with the game from the looks of it.

^^^^LIKE^^^^

I don't want to prestige 3 times in an unwanted multiplayer to get my 1000G on a game that seemingly appears to be a wonderful single player experience and should've STAYED that way.

BIG L RETURNS I think it's sad that you - IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU THINK! -The Rock

I almost had this preordered until I saw the achievement list. It's not only the multiplayer achievements that put me off, it's the emphasis on gunplay in the single player, making me think that this reboot has devolved into yet another third-person shooter, which I'm just not interested in from a Tomb Raider game.

I think people dislike it, because it tries too hard to be something that it's not. That's something like Uncharted. It's not really a survival game either, given the features they put inside the game.

I'm guessing they wanted to cash in on a very large crowd.

I hate how people always assume this game is stealing from Uncharted, Tomb Raider came first and as far as I know Uncharted has been stealing ideas from Tomb Raider. Just because Tomb Raider went the more shooter Uncharted feel is just a natural evolution of the game.

I hate how people always assume this game is stealing from Uncharted, Tomb Raider came first and as far as I know Uncharted has been stealing ideas from Tomb Raider. Just because Tomb Raider went the more shooter Uncharted feel is just a natural evolution of the game.

You're thinking about the past, this is what's currently happening. There's no denying that TR came first, but the new one is heavily inspired by Uncharted.

i dont know i feel the narrative is tough to fall for one minute shes almost crying for killing a deer then shes a trained killing machine it jumps around a lot

I wouldn't judge the game until you play it. I think the narrative is very believable when it comes to that. She has feelings but she's not a wimp. You can feel remorse for killing an innocent animal and still go kill someone afterwards when they are threatening your life especially if you have training like she does. It's kill or be killed. Just because she can and has to do something doesn't mean she can't feel bad afterwards. The devs are trying to show that she has feelings and is human but she is also able and willing to do what she needs to do to survive. She had to kill the deer to survive. She did what she had to do. Just because she feels bad about it then the story is hard to get into? Her crying and feeling bad is part of her change into the lara croft from past tomb raiders the is learning to let go of that sentimentality and do what needs to be done to survive.

I almost had this preordered until I saw the achievement list. It's not only the multiplayer achievements that put me off, it's the emphasis on gunplay in the single player, making me think that this reboot has devolved into yet another third-person shooter, which I'm just not interested in from a Tomb Raider game.

This game is not a third person shooter. You should probably watch more gameplay vids because it is probably only like 20% combat. The rest is platforming, exploration, and puzzle solving. It doesn't have that much combat. They just showed combat in the videos to get people excited and it also doesn't spoil the rest of the game. It's not like they can show you all of the platforming and puzzle bits because then you would know how to do them and it wouldn't be fun.

I think people dislike it, because it tries too hard to be something that it's not. That's something like Uncharted. It's not really a survival game either, given the features they put inside the game.

I'm guessing they wanted to cash in on a very large crowd.

Uncharted and Tomb Raider are in the same genre. This game is a natural evolution of the genre. It might have some Uncharted styled gameplay but it just as much old school Tomb Raider as it is Uncharted.

Edited by rapture23

I wouldn't judge the game until you play it. I think the narrative is very believable when it comes to that. She has feelings but she's not a wimp. You can feel remorse for killing an innocent animal and still go kill someone afterwards when they are threatening your life especially if you have training like she does. It's kill or be killed. Just because she can and has to do something doesn't mean she can't feel bad afterwards. The devs are trying to show that she has feelings and is human but she is also able and willing to do what she needs to do to survive. She had to kill the deer to survive. She did what she had to do. Just because she feels bad about it then the story is hard to get into? Her crying and feeling bad is part of her change into the lara croft from past tomb raiders the is learning to let go of that sentimentality and do what needs to be done to survive.

after some more playtime this game is pretty good its just not for me i guess Also doesn't she not have training in this game? it shows how she became lara croft from previous titles

after some more playtime this game is pretty good its just not for me i guess Also doesn't she not have training in this game? it shows how she became lara croft from previous titles

She does have training. She talks about her training in this game during a conversation with roth and also she says to herself something about that she never expected all the training in climbing and shooting guns to actually pay off. It is kind of a off the cuff thing in both cases and is easily missed if you aren't paying attention. It's not like they made the fact that she has training a major plot point even though it would be nice if they made that fact a little more clear. Not even considering this game if you know lara's past you would know that her dad trained her when she was a teen and started taking her on expeditions with him. Her whole character development in this game is more about her becoming strong and independent not necessarily learning how climb, shoot guns, and the various things she does in this game. She already knows how to do those things but because she had always been with her dad she was never put in a position where she is all alone like this and needed to be the one to save people. So in short she has been on expeditions before and knows how to shoot, climb, and bandage herself up like she does in this game. This game is about her becoming that brave hero that we know and this game shows the first time a expedition has gone really wrong for her and apparently is the start of her going off on her own like she does in the other games without anyone's help.

Edited by rapture23

You're thinking about the past, this is what's currently happening. There's no denying that TR came first, but the new one is heavily inspired by Uncharted.

If this game is inspired by Uncharted then it's a really really really dark version of Uncharted. Like after playing this game I wouldn't even consider comparing it to Uncharted because Uncharted is a lot more witty where as this game is just really dark and violent and it reminds me more of the darker aspect of Far Cry than Uncharted

Now, I haven't really been paying attention to this as much, but a lot of people seem to be getting mad at the game. I saw some people on N4G getting mad that the game god a moderately good review score

I only think people dont really like it because of two things

1. Multiplayer

2. Achievements

Thats all thats really wrong with the game from the looks of it.

That's what it seems to be, the multiplayer side of it....

The single player side looks great.

I don't think it's so much having the multiplayer game mode put into the game, it seem's to be more the achievements tied to the multiplayer side, like having to prestige 3 times to unlock stuff for an achievement.

And if the multiplayer is going to be as bad as alot of people are saying, then it will end up being dead online, making some online achievements hard to get, plus not fun to play if it turns out disappointing...

Ok, you don't have to play the online side of course or even go for the online achievements, but having a multiplayer game mode that's very good or very bad can make alot of difference to the game and how people will like it overall :)

Plus, even though i haven't yet played the game and i'm only going by what others are saying about the online side, and i don't like the idea of multiplayer being added to TR, i am hoping that it will be fun to play a least...

Edited by DjBatfink