Onyx Medals Guide and Discussion

Nikke84

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if anyone is looking to boost CTL games, abductor, leader, shock trooper, match winner, veteran, etc i recommend playing the "force multiplayer" game mode. its a 1 round 1v1 guardian, about 45 seconds per match. goes pretty quick!

Maybe it's just me, but that CTL method doesn't appear to be working. The bot on your team will always be leader. I disabled weapon pickups and watched the first match on Blood Drive. The leader just kept running around in circles. In a later match, I saw the leader had found me, but he just ran back and forth marking me rather than actually engaging in combat. Even when I tried advancing with the lone guest, the bot was more apt to run away.

Any better methods for this?

Maybe it's just me, but that CTL method doesn't appear to be working. The bot on your team will always be leader.

Do you mean the leader glitch? You have to be at the menu screen and launch the game from your secondary or guest profile, so after you sign in your guest (press :ybut:) you need to back out with your main profile (press :bbut:). Then press :start: on your 2nd controller. The first match your dummy account will be leader. Every match after that your main account will be leader. Worked every time I've tried it. Obviously both signed in profiles need to be on the same team.

I'm seeing pretty good results idling CTL with weapon pick-ups disabled, hardcore bots to fill, friendly fire on, minimum cap time, bleed-out 30. Getting through plenty of matches and also Onyxed both Sovereign and Leader medals. You need a full lobby to get the ribbons, plus when I tried other set-ups (e.g. single bot) it just didn't work. Conversely, a single bot on KOTH works amazingly well.

HTH. Let me know how you get on.

Edited by TheGreyMan

How does this work when both players are on opposite teams? I was referring to this.

VERSUS CONTINUED

CTL

Play (100/300/1000/3000) CTL matches.

Set the capture time to 10 seconds. If you're going to idle play you can plug in a 2nd controller and set the number of bots to 1, make it so it's you and the bot vs the 2nd player. This will end the matches swiftly and you'll always win thanks to the bot on your team.

If the bot is leader, he will not attempt to capture the enemy leader. He instead apparently waits for his teammate (who is also idle) to do the dirty work.

Can a capture the leader round ever stalemate? I know once overtime kicks in, the cap time drastically decreases, but if the bot won't act, will the round ever end? And can you prevent the bot from ever being leader in the first place?

In the meantime, I may try one bot against one player, assuming that if the bot has no teammate, he will act on his own.

I should also add that I am not concerned about other medals for this idle boosting, just CTL. Besides the medal for the game mode, the only other CTL medal I have left is for leader rescues which I can't get when idle.

Edited by CreepyUncleMike
adding more information

I should also add that I am not concerned about other medals for this idle boosting, just CTL. Besides the medal for the game mode, the only other CTL medal I have left is for leader rescues which I can't get when idle.

If you have a friend that can help you, this is the method I used to get leader rescues:

You with a bot

A friend by himself

Capture time to 60

At least 5 rounds (I used 10)

Set the map to Checkout. Make sure the bot on your team is leader (if you're leader, let your friend win rounds until the bot is leader). Let the bot walk to the middle of the map, where the grenades are. Now have your friend down and pick up the leader, and stand in front of the Pharmacy counter (facing the area where the Mulcher normally is). Now, from the inside of the pharmacy, mantle kick into your captured leader; it will free the bot and count as a rescue, and won't stun your friend. Have your friend melee the leader back down while you climb back inside and rinse and repeat.

Using this method, I was able to get my last 600 leader rescues in less then 2 hours, so if you're starting from scratch (1200 rescues) you can Onyx this one pretty fast. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip, but I've been getting guardian all right myself with 2 controllers. I've managed to get as many as 83 rescues in a round, which probably lasts about 12 minutes. I don't think going from gold to onyx will be that bad. Maybe just boring. Again, it was more the CTL medal I was worried about. I'm coming close to allfathers gold and CTL was the furthest from getting gold.

Not sure if everyone else has been having a problem with getting the onyx warmonger. I have checked all my chapters, I have completed all the acts on insane, and yet I have not received the onyx medal. A few days ago, I played the last act, with three other players, on insane, arcade, we did finish it, but on my end, I didn't get warmonger on insane, can someone please shine some light on why this is not working out for me. Will greatly appreciate this.

Not sure if everyone else has been having a problem with getting the onyx warmonger. I have checked all my chapters, I have completed all the acts on insane, and yet I have not received the onyx medal. A few days ago, I played the last act, with three other players, on insane, arcade, we did finish it, but on my end, I didn't get warmonger on insane, can someone please shine some light on why this is not working out for me. Will greatly appreciate this.

Did you complete the Prologue?

Maybe it's just me, but that CTL method doesn't appear to be working. The bot on your team will always be leader. I disabled weapon pickups and watched the first match on Blood Drive. The leader just kept running around in circles. In a later match, I saw the leader had found me, but he just ran back and forth marking me rather than actually engaging in combat. Even when I tried advancing with the lone guest, the bot was more apt to run away.

Any better methods for this?

It's not just you. Having the same issue. I don't think it can stalemate. I just woke up and checked on it after about 6 1/2 hours and gained maybe 12 matches played. The bot on my team is always the leader and it is terrified of a single enemy who does nothing. I've heard that this was the fastest to afk because your bot is supposed to go right for the leader, but this is NOT the case...does anybody know of a way to make yourself leader? At this rate, I'll have 3000 Wingman matches done before CTL.

To idle boost my way to gold, I did one on one matches. If the bot is alone, he won't hesitate. You won't be winning any of the matches of course, but it works.

Having a bot on your team for KOTH, on the other hand, works awesome. They flew through pretty fast, bringing Match Winner, which I just onyxed, up with it.

I've heard that this was the fastest to afk because your bot is supposed to go right for the leader, but this is NOT the case...does anybody know of a way to make yourself leader?

Yes. This method works, and it works well, every time. You will blast through plenty of matches, and be racking up points for match wins, the CTL medal, as well as Sovereign and Leader. So assuming you want to cover as many bases as possible, as well as progress your level by scoring points in terms of ribbons and match wins, this is the way to go.

Do you mean the leader glitch? You have to be at the menu screen and launch the game from your secondary or guest profile, so after you sign in your guest (press :ybut:) you need to back out with your main profile (press :bbut:). Then press :start: on your 2nd controller. The first match your dummy account will be leader. Every match after that your main account will be leader. Worked every time I've tried it. Obviously both signed in profiles need to be on the same team.

I'm seeing pretty good results idling CTL with weapon pick-ups disabled, hardcore bots to fill, friendly fire on, minimum cap time, bleed-out 30. Getting through plenty of matches and also Onyxed both Sovereign and Leader medals. You need a full lobby to get the ribbons, plus when I tried other set-ups (e.g. single bot) it just didn't work. Conversely, a single bot on KOTH works amazingly well.

HTH. Let me know how you get on.

Edited by TheGreyMan

Yes. This method works, and it works well, every time. You will blast through plenty of matches, and be racking up points for match wins, the CTL medal, as well as Sovereign and Leader. So assuming you want to cover as many bases as possible, as well as progress your level by scoring points in terms of ribbons and match wins, this is the way to go.

I can confirm that this does not work. Are you reading the same method we are from the front page? First of all, it should be clear with 1 bot, you will not earn ribbons and therefore cannot work on Leader with this idle boosting method.

Today was the first time I tried having the alt profile host on CTL. The first match, the bot was leader, but that's normal anyway the first round so I completed it myself and waited to see if I was made leader in later matches. The next match, a bot was leader again. And as stated before, the bot, as leader, makes little to no effort to capture the idle enemy leader using this method.

I can confirm that this does not work. Are you reading the same method we are from the front page? First of all, it should be clear with 1 bot, you will not earn ribbons and therefore cannot work on Leader with this idle boosting method.

I think we are talking at cross purposes here. It's not the method from page one. Please read it again. Not 1 bot. Bots to fill. And it works every time if you set it up as described. Perhaps I did not stress that aspect enough and you assumed I was referring to the original post. But I did state that bots were set to fill, and I know ribbons require a full lobby, so by implication it's not the original technique.

The likelihood is that the title updates subsequently released have made changes which render some of those set-ups ineffective. I do not doubt Nikke84's methods at all, so I have no doubt they worked as described at the time he wrote up his post.

Ah, my mistake. Guess I got too focused on the part about the method of forcing yourself to be leader that I missed the bots on full part.

I got my other capture the leader medals the hard way. Even playing against casual bots can be frustrating because your teammates are idiots. If I try to play it safe while the bots do the dirty work, the bot teammates don't always seem to push for the leader. And if you're too aggressive, there's several of them firing on one of you. Even with casual bots, you can get downed and odds are crap of getting a rescue. But being aggressive has the bright side of getting leader captures, which can't be idled. With capture time short, even if you lose, you lose quick.

You can farm untouchable ribbons a lot faster than captivativing, so once I got Leader, I went for captures. The rest then got a lot simpler once I no longer needed to concern myself with ribbons. My biggest concern with Capture the Leader now is completing 2000 more matches. I figure 1 vs a bot is the best tactic. When the bot is alone on the other team, without any weapon pickups to distract him, he won't hesitate and, with no opposition, should be the quickest method, I would imagine.

If you don't need wins or anything else, 1 vs 1 sounds like a safe bet but I haven't tried it myself. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I got through idling with the set up I suggested, though, with the added bonus of match wins and progress on the other medals as discussed. I suspect the key is having hardcore bots with no weapon pick-ups, so there's nothing to distract from the objective. Worth a try, I promise : )

Wait, I'm still lost. You have your dummy profile on top screen and your profile on bottom to take advantage of the leader glitch, but that puts two afk players on your team against a full team of working bots which prevents any chance of boosting sovereign or leader along with. So best bet is just to 1 v 1 and work on only matches played? That's gonna murder W/L...but what can you do?

Definitely confused. I try that method and the bots just rush me and annihilate. yes, it is an insanely quick way to boost CTL matches, but maybe 1 in 7 matches is a win. I'm not the best with math, but I'm assuming it's possible to get enough for leader and sovereign within 3,000 matches at 1 in 7. To anybody thinking about trying 1 v 1, don't. Full bots on hardcore with two afks on your team is faster for matches played.

Edited by Ahrxelc