FAQ: How To Unlock Recon. Step By Step.

Vendetta

First off: Please no random friend requests asking me to help. I have helped quite a few people with Endure and I really dont want to spend any more time playing for 2 hours + getting it ever again. Please see the achievement trading/firefight thread to find partners. I am no longer playing ODST.

Here is a step by step on how to unlock recon because it does not unlock once you get all of the vidmasters. There is another step that you need to do. I know a lot of people will be asking why has recon not unlocked. I have all 1000 gamerscore in the game so obviously I know what I am doing so please refrain from smart ass comments ;)

This is not to be posted anywhere else other than x360a without my permission.

Currently Bungie is apparently Running Behind in handing out the Recon. Guess I got lucky? This is due to the stats recording being a little bit slow since it is the first day the game has been out and the sheer amount of games that have been played. I just checked a few minutes ago and it said in the last 24hrs there have been over 4 million games played so far. So if it is not unlocking please be patient as the game did just come out today. Unless you modded/hacked/cheated for it then you can just sit there and not have recon. :p

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=Halo3ODST_FAQ#_21

FAQ: For Firefight there are 5 waves per round, 3 rounds per set. So for the endure achievement you need to last 60 waves on heroic with 4 people. The weapons respawn at the end of every round.

First off you need the Vidmaster achievements from Halo 3:

7 on 7 - You need to have 7 xp on any playlist on the 7th day of any month

Annual - Complete 4 Player Legendary Live Co-op with everyone in ghosts and with iron skull on

Lightswitch - Get to a Lieutenant rank on any playlist

Brainpan - Acquire all of the skulls on all 6 mythic maps (Orbital, Sandbox, Assembly, Longshore, Citadel, Heretic)

Halo 3 Achievement Guide (has vid for Orbital, Sandbox, Assembly skulls): click here

Halo 3 Mythic Skulls (Heretic, Citadel, Longshore) youtube vids: CLICK ME

2nd You Will Need The Vidmaster Challenges from ODST:

Deja Vu - Complete Highway on Legendary 4 Player Co-op with Iron on and no Hog or Tank.

My advice here would be take your time and first chance you get you need to have at least one person in a Ghost. Another thing would be to give a fuel rod cannon to one of your AI controlled teammates since he gets infinite ammo and let him ride on the back of a mongoose with one person driving. The AI has some uncanny aim and will take down banshees, ghosts, turrets with what seems like minimal effort.

To unlock this map you or someone you are playing with will have to have beaten campaign. This is the last mission in the story and you cannot skip ahead to it. This one will unlock for single mission selection after you beat the game.

Classic - Finish a level solo on legendary without any shots fired and no grenades.

Like the achievement guide says do this on Uplift Reserve. At the beginning flip the hog over and dodge and evade as much as possible. After you get to a point where a ghost is get in there. You can boost and splatter people and still get the achievement just make sure you never hit the right trigger. I was messing around pulling the trigger with the laser and did not get the achievement so I had to start over.

Endure -In Firefight, on any mission, passed the 4th Set on 4-player Heroic LIVE co-op.

I would recommend doing this on Alpha Site. I say this because there are 3 power weapons (shotgun, rockets, sniper). There are also only 2 entry points that you can be attacked from. From where you spawn to start look forward and down that hallway is one. Also to the immediate left is the other. It is good to drop back and fight from a distance. Remember to have one person run around and use a charged plasma pistol to bust shields on the brutes. When the chieftan brutes show up use the rockets and any fuel rod cannons on them. They usually come on the 5th wave of every round. Remember to grab the weapons after a weapon drop. I accomplished this with 3 people and a 2nd account signed in and sitting in the corner so if I did this with 2 other people it is very do-able with 4 people playing. Some tips are to use the auto mag on the grunts and jackals and make sure you headshot them to conserve ammo. On the regular brutes use sticky, spike and flame grenades when necessary. Also the needler and a charged plasma pistol destroy them. After the charged plasma shot just pistol or carbine them in the head.

The Last Step!

After you unlock the last vidmaster challenge a little message will pop up and will prompt you to go to http://www.bungie.net/ and log on with your xbox live email. You will need to go to your service record and click on the box that says unlock recon. After doing so go to the menu where you can edit your armor and for the helmet it will be #4.

Edited by Vendetta

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh well, i'm not bothered about it xD i'm afraid if i go online all the noobs might think i'm rubbish cos' i ain't got it like..
You're afraid of what people think of you online in Halo 3? I'd worry about more important things if I were you. ;)

But, I'm not you so... just make sure you beat them then they won't think you're rubbish?

try logging in with one and go to your service record. if that one doesnt work use the other one. you have to click a button so there is no way that it would not unlock it if you try one way or the other.

I would assume your windows live one is the one to use. I didnt log in with my bungie login (which is different than my XBL email).

So hey Vendetta quick question i got the game last night and i staye dup all night with my buddies doing the achievements for ODST...and i already have the Halo 3 vidmaster achievements so basically i have unlocked all the vidmaster achievements for Halo 3 now and ODST and im wondering whats going on because i went to the bungie website and it says "ROAD TO RECON" and shows that all of them are unlocked but i dont see newhere nething that says "UNLOCK RECON". So im wondering whats going on...r they not actually giving recon out or what??

Sweet guide seeing how its essential to have 4 people for these it looks like I'm gonna have to round up some friends for some intense gaming nights on ODST

not because of reacon either. . . . I still like my Hayabusa the most

i rock the security armor. that with the katana sword looks bad-ace. like a ninja. =)

So hey Vendetta quick question i got the game last night and i staye dup all night with my buddies doing the achievements for ODST...and i already have the Halo 3 vidmaster achievements so basically i have unlocked all the vidmaster achievements for Halo 3 now and ODST and im wondering whats going on because i went to the bungie website and it says "ROAD TO RECON" and shows that all of them are unlocked but i dont see newhere nething that says "UNLOCK RECON". So im wondering whats going on...r they not actually giving recon out or what??

Really? There was a button on my page to the left of the achievement tiles for the vidmasters that said "Unlock Recon". I will call my friend when I get off of work in an hour and see if he has unlocked his on bungie.net yet and if he has not I will have him take a screen shot on the computer. Actually I will check mine right now myself and see if I can screen cap it.

well i just got the classic one wasn't too hard. the one thing i would add is early on when you get a chance pick up a gunner and a passenger then find some where safe so you can give your laser to your passenger this proved to be a big help for that section with the wraiths the ai has unlimited ammo and if you haven't done so already giving a weapon will net you an achiv.

well i just got the classic one wasn't too hard. the one thing i would add is early on when you get a chance pick up a gunner and a passenger then find some where safe so you can give your laser to your passenger this proved to be a big help for that section with the wraiths the ai has unlimited ammo and if you haven't done so already giving a weapon will net you an achiv.

Will add that to the guide & credit you. That will help lots of people as it is kind of a pain in the arse to dodge and evade without at least getting a little flustered.

Hm... Did you steal that tip from my post, perchance? Edited by hezekiah
Made link more visible