Insanity is a joke (hard facts + hard tips inside)

Hoborg

Update 3/20/2012: I just finished insanity and here is my record

1. Time (including side missions for unwavering): roughly 12-13 hours

2. Number of deaths by area:

- Grissom Academy: 5+ (only because I was stupid and didn't realize it was infinite spawn)

- Rannoch 3 tries for the primes

- Kai Leng: Got it on the first try!

- Earth shuttle: 5+ (this might be the only section a soldier has a leg up because of adrenaline rush)

- Earth missile defense: Got it on the first try!

3. Concluding thoughts: just as I suspected, the last part before M shields was a cake walk. My defensive line withstood some serious punishment. Just place the squad at first cover next to the first tank (where you start). Spam turrets and drones at this location. All enemies will converge on this spot while you stand far away in area at the beginning of the game. What really surprised me was the easiness of the Kai Leng fight. I also attribute it to the strength of the engineer kit. Overall, this is undeniably the easiest class to use.

I'm going to cut the bullshit and jump right into it. This is a mini-guide meant for people who want an easy and quick way to beat insanity. This is NOT a guide for people who want a challenge or for people who want a lot of action. In fact, this is the closest set up to "breaking" the game. Chances are you'll get bored in some sections.

(Note: you can't start a ng+ and change classes)

Here is what you need to do:

1. New game+ with engineer (or import ME2 character and select engineer)

2. Buy and upgrade Black Widow to X

3. Buy the armor that gives +30 bonus damage with tech and +30 bonus cooldown

4. Pick rockets for turret

5. Pick rockets for drone

6. When given a choice, always pick extra damage to armor

7. Pick James for bonus shields and either Tali or EDI (Tali gives bonus tech cooldown and EDI gives bonus tech damage)

Now all you need to do is sit back and spam turrets/drones. This class gives you everything you need to beat the game. Incinerate burns armor and organics, overload destroys shields, and hacking takes care of turrets and geth.

You don't need to be good with a sniper rifle. I only use the sniper rifle to take down guardians, and various shield and barrier generators. Turrets and drones are very effective at killing unshielded enemies by themselves.

I will rank order some notable classes from most difficult to easiest

From hardest to easiest

1. Soldier

2. Vanguard

3. Infiltrator (requires skill with sniper rifle, engineer doesn't)

4. Sentinel

5. Engineer

Soldier is definitely the hardest because you run out of ammo early game and guns aren't that powerful. A soldier is also exposed more in combat and has to be more actively engaged in fighting. Engineer is the easiest class because you have a solid line of defense against enemies. You don't even have to use the sniper rifle since your powers are more than enough to deal with most situations.

With the engineer you just sit back and let your AI do the work, more effective than sitting in cloak mode.

You don't need biotic charge or cloak to rush through the game. Most sections take very little time to clear out with turret/drone spam. Only time you need to rush is the hammer section. I did so without the cloak or biotic charge.

Infinite spawn areas:

1. Grissom Academy (second Atlas fight): as soon as the fight starts, run up the stairs and destroy the shield pylon and generator. Immediately look down and snipe the second pylon and generator. You need to destroy the Atlas mech to end the infinite waves. Best place to clear the mech is the stairway. Place a turret and drone on top of the stairs so you don't get flanked. Bring EDI so you can take down his shield fast.

2. Turian platoon (Tuchanka): This is the last fight at the end of the mission when you need to reach the besieged platoon. As soon as you can, dash across the field to the area where the platoon is dug in. There is cover here so hide and place the turret and the drone to keep enemies busy. Now you'll have a perfect sight of the harvester. The waves end when you defeat the harvester. Bring EDI to burn armor faster.

3. The cure on Tuchanka. Obviously, the brutes just keep coming. Pop a turret and a drone to keep them busy while you dash towards the hammers. Once you deactivate the second hammer the fight ends.

Edited by Hoborg
Clarity

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And what would your advice be on adept, as I do not see it mentioned?

I wouldn't use an adept. The only biotic powers you need is something to take down shields but mainly anti-armor powers. Armor will be the most frequent type of defense and you need an effective class against it.

The engineer has a turret that deals bonus damage to armor as well as incinerate wish is very effective.

Again, the engineer class has everything you need to finish the game. I don't know that much about adept but it's not as good as the engineer.

First of all, there is no need to talk like some kind of college professor to get your point across. The first couple paragraphs of your post paint you as an arrogant douche.

Second, I find it highly ironic that you are posting an insane guide with so much cocky language in it when you were just begging for an insane guide yourself the other day (and acting like an ass in that thread as well). It almost makes me wonder if you just cut and pasted someone elses' ideas.

You want to help? Great. There are ways to do that without also insulting everyone else who has tried to help others in the past.

"......it has two objective prongs that can be measured and understood as empirical...blah, blah."

Give me a fucking break.

Edited by ColdSpider72

First of all, there is no need to talk like some kind of college professor to get your point across. The first couple paragraphs of your post paint you as an arrogant douche.

Second, I find it highly ironic that you are posting an insane guide with so much cocky language in it when you were just begging for a insane guide yourself the other day (and acting like an ass in that thread as well). It almost makes me wonder if you just cut and pasted someone elses' ideas.

You want to help? Great. There are ways to do that without also insulting everyone else who has tried to help others in the past.

I am angry because people post dumb things. Relativism is the coward's way out of providing solid hard answers to tough questions.

You should commend me for taking a stand and giving people real answers.

Well I'm feeling up to the challenge. My first run was an adept so I am wanting to do a new game plus with him. I'm thinking of seeing how far I can make an adept insanity run without using a weapon at all.

Probably won't be as bad as soldier. Most people who struggle report playing with the soldier. Just be sure to use Liara for the bonus damage to biotic powers.

Let me just start off with ending this pedantic debate once and for all. Many people seem to reduce an objective question to a subjective one. If someone asks "what is the best class to use" what they actually mean is "what is the easiest class to use for insanity"

"Easy" is subjective but it has two objective prongs that can be measured and understood as empirical. How many times the average player died, and how long it took the average player to finish the game plus unwavering.

It is sad to see so many fairly intelligent people profess such profound stupidity. What they always say is "oh that depends on your preferences and skills and will vary from player to play" What you're saying is you can't answer this simple question objectively.

This is far from the truth. It can be answered objectively just like it could be answered objectively in ME1 and ME2. This is no different, there is one class that is better than all others.

No, there is not one class that is better than any other. All classes are good and it really does come down to how you play. Just because you like Engineers doesn't make it the best class, or the easiest class. I played Soldier and Engineer. My Soldier had so much more killing power than my engineer, being able to outfit my companions with whatever ammo type they needed made them more powerful. And I enjoyed the soldier much more than the sit back and wait Engineer.

Soldier is definitely the hardest because you run out of ammo early game and guns aren't that powerful. .

Run out of ammo? There are so many ammo caches around it's not funny. And once you can get to Eden Prime you get the best Assault Rifle in the game which doesn't require ammo ever again.

I am angry because people post dumb things. Relativism is the coward's way out of providing solid hard answers to tough questions.

And what does that make your post, considering you are insulting people that actually tried to give you tips in the past? Thats right......Dumb. You create threads asking for help and when they don't answer the way you want, you go off on them like they are morons. I would cut the shit.....some people don't have tolerance for complete assholes here.

This is a fucking video game achievement site; not the 'Stephen Hawking center for people who don't answer questions good....and do other stuff good too'.

Adepts are actually quite powerful as they rely on no ammunition or guns. Or very little for that matter. They rely heavily on other squad mates for disrupting shields but you can easily take Energy drain as a loyalty power and pretty much eat barriers and shields with that.

A max'd out warp will inflict massive damage to armor and singularity spam with warp again to maximize your damage. Synthetic enimes are always a lot more annoying, but that's why you have your squad. The key is learning when to detonate your biotic effects. You really only have to use warp / singularity / throw.

Try actually playing one out they are fun and actually very good on insanity if you know what you are doing. Imo they are the most underrated class.

Edited by Ameno

No, there is not one class that is better than any other. All classes are good and it really does come down to how you play. Just because you like Engineers doesn't make it the best class, or the easiest class. I played Soldier and Engineer. My Soldier had so much more killing power than my engineer, being able to outfit my companions with whatever ammo type they needed made them more powerful. And I enjoyed the soldier much more than the sit back and wait Engineer.

Run out of ammo? There are so many ammo caches around it's not funny. And once you can get to Eden Prime you get the best Assault Rifle in the game which doesn't require ammo ever again.

I'm not going to assume people need DLC. Soldiers run out of ammo and that's a matter of fact. Soldiers also have to use more action commands which means more effort. An engineer can sit back and let the AI do the job for him. How is this not a juxtaposition of easy and cumbersome?

So if you have to press more buttons and be exposed more in combat, doesn't that mean I am having an easier time than you?

Please stop with this nonsense.

You've given everyone advice on a seemingly easier playthrough. Your technique actually seems rather boring and lacking in challenge. Great, good for you and those that want this. Don't bash on others for having reasons of their own for something else.

I have played Soldier from ME1 and ME2 so of course I'm going to play it in ME3. You claim it's harder - so what, isn't it ok to have a challenge? It seems you want the easy way, I want something that feels rewarding and how my Shepard has progressed.

The Prothean assault rifle doesn't run out of ammo unless if you deplete its charge to zero. Even then you only have to wait 10 seconds so yeah you don't need to pick up an ammo pack the whole game if you don't want. I'm going to assume 95% of the people on this site have the DLC also as they're interested in achievements so go to Eden Prime ASAP and get the bonus.

Second, I find it highly ironic that you are posting an insane guide with so much cocky language in it when you were just begging for an insane guide yourself the other day (and acting like an ass in that thread as well). It almost makes me wonder if you just cut and pasted someone elses' ideas.

"......it has two objective prongs that can be measured and understood as empirical...blah, blah."

Give me a fucking break.

HAHA Good grammar.....

Until he started dropping F Bombs! Humorous read

Soldiers run out of ammo and that's a matter of fact.

Even on insanity, you have to be blind to run out of ammo in this game, with any class, with the most rapid-fire low-damage weapons available. Thermal clips are everywhere. Having completed insanity with a sentinel, I have to say that a majority of damage and 90% of kills I did with good old gunplay, the powers were mostly for shields and barriers.

Soldiers also have to use more action commands which means more effort. An engineer can sit back and let the AI do the job for him... So if you have to press more buttons and be exposed more in combat, doesn't that mean I am having an easier time than you?

Don't know about easier, but certainly a lot more boring.

This is coming from the DUMB ASS who had posted oh its impossible to do insanity unless your a soldier, Dude dont say your not insulting everyone because you are no one wants to play your way who the hell wants to sit back and spam the same thing over and over!, Then again im not surprised your Hoborg the I hate every type of game and canceled my pre order because the demo sucked or oh I traded this because it sucked bad dude i looked at all your post and not a single positive or helpful thing has come out of it, As for everyone else here Ignore him his insults should not even faze you, My lil cousins know how to enjoy a game better the u do and they can probably run through insanity with a few hiccups but nothing to bitch and moan about how you are about everyone, Every one on this forum has a tough time because there playing there way not HEY PLAY HOBORG IM THE ASSHOLE WAY

Adepts are actually quite powerful as they rely on no ammunition or guns. Or very little for that matter. They rely heavily on other squad mates for disrupting shields but you can easily take Energy drain as a loyalty power and pretty much eat barriers and shields with that.

A max'd out warp will inflict massive damage to armor and singularity spam with warp again to maximize your damage. Synthetic enimes are always a lot more annoying, but that's why you have your squad. The key is learning when to detonate your biotic effects. You really only have to use warp / singularity / throw.

Try actually playing one out they are fun and actually very good on insanity if you know what you are doing. Imo they are the most underrated class.

im also using the Adept.... The adepts "throw" ability has an upgrade where if a biotic detonation occures your cooldown time resets. Allowing u to "Possably" set off a chain of detontions. I say possably because i havent tried it yet.HAHA And about which class is the easiest. I like the engineer Idea also, because am a cheap ass. I just played the shit out of the multiplyer. Thats how I decided which classs to use.

HAHA.... good, funny thread. I dont know what that first motherfucker said, but it sounded gooood! I just want to beat my first Mass Effect game on Elite.

You must be very pissed with yourself then cause you post some of the most pathetic twaddle I've seen on the interwebs.

Anyway, credit where it's due, you actually took some advice and actually wrote a guide. I respect that as you have tried to give back to the community, rather than beg others to hold your hand for you. So, on that note, well done.

Now that's done, will you be going back to lecturing us on the philosophy's of life and the in's and out's of the human psyche?

You must be very pissed with yourself then cause you post some of the most pathetic twaddle I've seen on the interwebs.

Anyway, credit where it's due, you actually took some advice and actually wrote a guide. I respect that as you have tried to give back to the community, rather than beg others to hold your hand for you. So, on that note, well done.

Now that's done, will you be going back to lecturing us on the philosophy's of life and the in's and out's of the human psyche?

Nice Gamerscore ponypo... your my hero.

I am not going to reply to all the personal attacks. I just wanted to say I'm tearing the shit out of insanity with this build. Just finished Rannoch and did the 3 primes in less than 3 tries.

This part is hard for every class. The trick is to focus down one prime. Once you're down to 2 it's easy shit. Having hacking and drones did help.

I am doing mine as a Vangaurd, only because that is the Shepard I have used since the beginning. I admit, however, that I never finished the other two ME games on Insanity. I hope for this to be my first.

I think I might have a chance, though. When I played ME1, I did my first play on Easy (was new to 360 and this type of game) and never got around to a second one. When I did ME2, I played on Easy, then started a second on Insanity, which I later realized was a mistake. I should have gotten acclimated to Normal instead of Easy, as there was quite a difference. For ME3, however, my first playthrough is on Normal, and I am not doing too bad. I have died a few times, but nowhere near as many as I thought I would.

I see what you're saying Hoborg. I think some people get stuck on the fact you used some abrasive words to relay your information, and not what your trying to say. "Fun", "Challenging" and "action packed" are not what this guide is for. This guide is for an "easy" play through. No ammo needed, no unnecessary damage being taken, no stress from "how do i go about killing this guy".

This guy has given you all a guide for an EASY play though, nothing more.