Why From Ashes isn't available to all

DeadRedBaron

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People need to stop attacking Bioware for being productive workers. If they lazed about during post production, no one would care. But since they continued to put effort into the game after it had already been completed, people start complaining. It is DLC and it costs money. It's more "Those who get the CE are lucky to have it" than "it's not fair this isn't free for everyone."

And no, I dont plan to buy the CE.

We need this on some kind of giant flashing banner so it gets drummed into people:

Bioware make the games.

EA price and organize distribution

If you have an issue with the storyline, characters, gameplay or any of that stuff, this area belongs to Bioware.

If you are pissed because of how much it costs, how DLC is released and priced, this area belongs to EA

...having a prior day 1 DLC exclusive just for SOME of the people who pre-order feels like robbery to me. I pre-order Batman AC for the Catwoman Add-on, I enjoy it and blah,blah,blah, but that doesn´t mean I´m ok with that or even think is the right thing to do.

This is pure self-entitlement. If you didn't choose to get the Collector's Edition, then cool story bro, however, it was your choice. The only robbery here is of your own senses. Your agreement or disagreement is void, simply because you 'feel' you deserve the content and are somehow being burgled of something you don't own.

Collector's Edition owners will get the bonus content, because they wanted to get a special version of the game to mark quite a monumental end to a trilogy of games they are passionate about. If you are not one of these people, then this is your choice. In addition to this, you get access to the DLC through the marketplace so you don't feel left out.

And this is definitely not in the same page as Zaeed, he was free for every first hand owner, ALL OF THEM, and I´ll say that, no matter what Hudson twits, a human ruthless mercenary and the only living Prothean in the galaxy have not the same appealing factor.

This is again, personal opinion. I love the Prothean backstory, but i'm a huge fan of Zaeed and he was one of my most frequently used companions. There is a whole tumblr following for this character, he has a pretty large fan base. You can't really make the comparison. To alot of people what you are doing here is exactly the same as saying 'I don't care what anyone says, Tali is far more interesting than Garrus.' Inconsequential.

And by the way, if the Prothean is not that much of a deal according to Hudson, where´s the point in adding it then? Should no CE edition owners feel worry to NOT have the Prothean, or should the CE edition owners worry to have it because at the end he´s not relevant at all story wise?

If you don't wander down and chat to Doctor Chakwas or the cook on the Normandy SR2 is there any point in having them? If you don't chat to Kelly Chambers did they really need to put the content in there?

Neither of these questions are relevant. If you want to wander down to talk to Chakwas and have a drink with her about the old times, you can. It is a nice piece of bonus content. I don't need it to complete the game but it colors the storyline even further.

The Prothean may be relevant to YOUR story, if you want to use him. Probably not so much to the person who doesn't use the character because they choose not to have him involved. But at the end of the day it will not affect the storyline and it just comes down to complaining about something you think you are 'owed' for nothing.

Like I said, people is not complaining about something ridiculous, there´s a valid point on this (altough boycott sounds stupid). And Total Biscuit is not just raging about the Prothean, he actually also mention the special gun that will probably brake the balance in multiplayer or the RPG elements about finding a good weapon in SP since you start with top gun in the game.

Complete speculation, you have nothing to back this up until the game is released and we have a full handle on gameplay and MP.

Biowtronics will certainly sell tons of ME3 copies, they will recover every single cent the waste to make the game and lastly those of us who complain will not have any effect on their sales, which is what EA really cares after all. But definitely this proves that Bioware is not the company they use to be and are recurring to the worst ways of taking the most money out of their buyers.

Your specific complaints probably won't, no. Because you are not thinking about it logically. I'm pretty sure that yes, EA do care greatly about profit, but this is pretty much what all businesses care about at the end of the day. If they didn't make money, they wouldn't exist.

And people still complain about Horse Armor on Oblivion or costumes in Street Fighter 4, but this is OK??? Such a hypocrite community...

There are a large array of different types of DLC, the actual term for it is 'micro-transaction'. You are mentioning cosmetic DLC. This is probably the most 'optional' DLC of all and exists solely for someone's individual personal preference. If DLC is not part of your personal preference, don't buy it, simple as that, stop complaining.

Edited by Yaymez

Honestly, not buying your responses.

I honestly think this is wrong in lots of ways. Not everyone has the economic situation to deal with this kind of things if they want full game. Specially when the game is not prices equally on every country and the value of that money is truly different. For euro zone, is robbery.

I can buy now ME2 new for a very low price and get all of Cerberus Network stuff, including Zaed, for the price of the game. With this new guy, no matter what I want, is Collectors Edition or microsoft points are the only ways I would get the character, that considering if Collectors Edition will be replaced when the ones already done are gone, which they obviously will. And again, microsoft point are priced in the worst way when it comes to compare how much microsoft points will I get for a certain money depending on the place I buy it.

10 dollars is not the same as 10 euros or pounds, and which is worst, in my country we are supposed to pay more money because of a stupid tax the government puts on everything related to videogames to try and soft the effect of living in one of the top five countries to use piracy methods of getting games.

PD: Regarding characters relevance, I´m talking about the effect on the lore they have. One more human mercenary affects shit other then your squad, the only living prothean I think should be more important to the whole galactic system, since they fund most of what every living race knows about space travels, the Citadel and even may have a link to the Reapers creation. It´s not a personal opinion, it´s a fact, wether you like it or not no matter how much love you have for Zaeed...or me, since I also like the character.

Honestly, not buying your responses.

PD: Regarding characters relevance, I´m talking about the effect on the lore they have. One more human mercenary affects shit other then your squad, the only living prothean I think should be more important to the whole galactic system, since they fund most of what every living race knows about space travels, the Citadel and even may have a link to the Reapers creation. It´s not a personal opinion, it´s a fact, wether you like it or not no matter how much love you have for Zaeed...or me, since I also like the character.

The Protheans didn't build the Citadel or the Mass Relays. The extinction cycle was going on long before the Protheans were around. But I see your point.

You know this DLC LEAKED right? No one knew that the CE came with this, until it leaked. If it hadn't leaked, and then you got it when you bought the CE but had no idea, you didn't really pay for it!

You payed for what you knew came in the CE. Which was never stated to have another character or anything. People trying to say that they paid for it when the bought the CE are lieing *******. You paid for everything EXCEPT this DLC. You had no idea it was there until someone leaked it to you, and you wouldn't have known until you picked the game up, had it not been leaked!

You know this DLC LEAKED right? No one knew that the CE came with this, until it leaked. If it hadn't leaked, and then you got it when you bought the CE but had no idea, you didn't really pay for it!

You payed for what you knew came in the CE. Which was never stated to have another character or anything. People trying to say that they paid for it when the bought the CE are lieing *******. You paid for everything EXCEPT this DLC. You had no idea it was there until someone leaked it to you, and you wouldn't have known until you picked the game up, had it not been leaked!

Wrong. Months ago when the CE was first announced and put up for pre-order listing everything included. One of wich was - One DLC character and mission. So yeah people knew.

Didn't really pay for it? The SE is £40, CE is £70. So I payed an extra £30 for content including the DLC. So yes I did pay for it.

The CE has always been stated to have a DLC character. If you failed to read the text that doesn't mean the people who knew what they were getting and bought the CE are "lieing *******" as you put it. All that was leaked was who this DLC character we were getting is but the people who were getting the CE were still paying for it when for all we knew it was another generic human.

If it hadn't been leaked all that would have changed is people would have started complaining later.

Wrong. Months ago when the CE was first announced and put up for pre-order listing everything included. One of wich was - One DLC character and mission. So yeah people knew.

Didn't really pay for it? The SE is £40, CE is £70. So I payed an extra £30 for content including the DLC. So yes I did pay for it.

The CE has always been stated to have a DLC character. If you failed to read the text that doesn't mean the people who knew what they were getting and bought the CE are "lieing *******" as you put it. All that was leaked was who this DLC character we were getting is but the people who were getting the CE were still paying for it when for all we knew it was another generic human.

If it hadn't been leaked all that would have changed is people would have started complaining later.

this is pretty much how i see it as well, 9 months ago in this thread a image was posted showing misson and character

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/324/index/7549834/1

CE are paying nearly double and this was mentioned 9 months back if people don't know then they must have been in a mass effect media blackhole. only the details of what it contained was leaked more recently.

Ce payed extra for this dlc its very clear, if anything standard editions should be greatful as some games don't offer ce stuff at all or if they do its months down the line, the fact they are letting people get this on day one to me shows they care, just think the qq if ce had exclusivity for months and months.

this is pretty much how i see it as well, 9 months ago in this thread a image was posted showing misson and character

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/324/index/7549834/1

CE are paying nearly double and this was mentioned 9 months back if people don't know then they must have been in a mass effect media blackhole. only the details of what it contained was leaked more recently.

Ce payed extra for this dlc its very clear, if anything standard editions should be greatful as some games don't offer ce stuff at all or if they do its months down the line, the fact they are letting people get this on day one to me shows they care, just think the qq if ce had exclusivity for months and months.

You did read the second post correctly right?

Let me quote it for you!

Get the ultimate Mass Effect 3 experience with the N7 Collector’s Edition!

This exclusive and limited package includes:

• Premium metal case featuring commemorative artwork of both male and female versions of Commander Shepard.

• 70-page hardbound art book featuring hundreds of unique and gorgeous illustrations from the BioWare development team.

• Limited edition Mass Effect comic by Dark Horse Comics, complete with unique cover artwork.

• Join the ranks of the N7 with the premium fabric N7 patch.

• Exclusive 4x6 lithographic print featuring a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork.

• A full collection of in-game content that can’t be found anywhere else!

o N7 Arsenal Pack – Bring the firepower with the N7 Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, SMG, and Pistol.

o Robotic Dog – A faithful sidekick to keep you company on board the Normandy.

o Squadmate Alternate Outfit Pack – New appearances for squad members Ashley, Kaiden, James and Liara.

o N7 Hoodie – For Commander Shepard’s casual days on board the Normandy.

• Relive all the greatest moments of Mass Effect 3 with the digital soundtrack.

• Xbox LIVE Normandy prop for your Avatar. (Available on Xbox 360 version only.)

• Display your initiation in the N7 ranks with a collection of forum and social badges, avatars, and perks.

Not only does it mention NOTHING about extra characters, that is from an actual Bioware employee. It was leaked dude. Plain and simple.

Oh and last i checked, $20 more is NOT almost double the game price. Not to mention if you purchase the $10 DLC, you paid and extra $10. If this is somehow double in your country, i feel really sorry for you!

You did read the second post correctly right?

Let me quote it for you!

Get the ultimate Mass Effect 3 experience with the N7 Collector’s Edition!

This exclusive and limited package includes:

• Premium metal case featuring commemorative artwork of both male and female versions of Commander Shepard.

• 70-page hardbound art book featuring hundreds of unique and gorgeous illustrations from the BioWare development team.

• Limited edition Mass Effect comic by Dark Horse Comics, complete with unique cover artwork.

• Join the ranks of the N7 with the premium fabric N7 patch.

• Exclusive 4x6 lithographic print featuring a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork.

• A full collection of in-game content that can’t be found anywhere else!

o N7 Arsenal Pack – Bring the firepower with the N7 Sniper Rifle, Shotgun, SMG, and Pistol.

o Robotic Dog – A faithful sidekick to keep you company on board the Normandy.

o Squadmate Alternate Outfit Pack – New appearances for squad members Ashley, Kaiden, James and Liara.

o N7 Hoodie – For Commander Shepard’s casual days on board the Normandy.

• Relive all the greatest moments of Mass Effect 3 with the digital soundtrack.

• Xbox LIVE Normandy prop for your Avatar. (Available on Xbox 360 version only.)

• Display your initiation in the N7 ranks with a collection of forum and social badges, avatars, and perks.

Not only does it mention NOTHING about extra characters, that is from an actual Bioware employee. It was leaked dude. Plain and simple.

Oh and last i checked, $20 more is NOT almost double the game price. Not to mention if you purchase the $10 DLC, you paid and extra $10. If this is somehow double in your country, i feel really sorry for you!

In my country standard console is 35£ ce is 65£ so its practially double, but your dismissing the image simply as a bioware employee didn't post it as a simple wording error.

it even said this if not then 6months ago when people could pre order the game from the former game site with the image including the mission and character. yes i did read your second paragraph, when i preordered it was mentioned.

ordered mine since 10/06 and ive known about the extra as it was mentioned on the site.

Your entitled to your opinion as well as i am, but i really do not see how the dlc should be free based on the information ive seen, if this dlc is free lets just say it does, then ce owners would still get another piece down the line to make up for it, then more qq over that it never ends :).

UK Pays £40 for a new game. With exchange rate this becomes $60

You say it's an extra $20 for american CE? Well It's £70 here.

So thats an extra £30 or in your money $45.

So $105. I'd say thats almost double by both standards.

http://media2.shopto.net/pictures/XB2MA32/A.jpg

Little hard to see so i'll have a look for a better one but bottom right it clearly says additinal character.

Edited by kdogground2

UK Pays £40 for a new game. With exchange rate this becomes $60

You say it's an extra $20 for american CE? Well It's £70 here.

So thats an extra £30 or in your money $45.

So $105. I'd say thats almost double by both standards.

http://media2.shopto.net/pictures/XB2MA32/A.jpg

Little hard to see so i'll have a look for a better one but bottom right it clearly says additinal character.

i did a 2 week filter from 6/6 to 20/6 with several places using the same image ;

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/06/mass-effect-3-n7-collectors-edition-headed-to-earth/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110774-Mass-Effect-3-Collectors-Edition-Revealed

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/mass-effect-3-collectors-edition-content-revealed-2011069/

could keep listing but it would be pointless, even if it wasnt there 9months ago surely this was known least 6 months ago which is still a hell of a lot of time. videos of the ce sprung up least mid november but images of it was out before then.

i can understand if people are upset over it being prothean, but tbh it would have suited much better being in me2 with the whole collector thing.

Did not realize From Ashes would be included with the N7 CE. Now this means I will have an extra DLC code. So stay tuned, I just may be doing a From Ashes giveaway.

that's against the rules here btw. you end up with a thread that becomes pointless after 2 seconds when the first person becomes "it"

And I hate the title of this thread. everyone can get the dlc.

and yes, we knew there was a character in June. not all sites did their research and posted about it, just like the sites (dtoid and kotaku) that didnt do research and said there was $900 in dlc when it's most just stuff that comes with an extra recruit pack that you buy in game or can get some for free off of facebook.

that's against the rules here btw. you end up with a thread that becomes pointless after 2 seconds when the first person becomes "it"

And I hate the title of this thread. everyone can get the dlc.

and yes, we knew there was a character in June. not all sites did their research and posted about it, just like the sites (dtoid and kotaku) that didnt do research and said there was $900 in dlc when it's most just stuff that comes with an extra recruit pack that you buy in game or can get some for free off of facebook.

I am well aware of that. That is why I have a youtube account. Looks like I won't be getting my CE anyway. Apparently Gamestop ran short on their pre-orders and guess who is one of the customers who got screwed. Instead of waiting til one became available, I have to take the standard edition if I want it as soon as it releases.

I honestly think this is wrong in lots of ways. Not everyone has the economic situation to deal with this kind of things if they want full game. Specially when the game is not prices equally on every country and the value of that money is truly different. For euro zone, is robbery.

If money is such a big concern you shouldn't be buying Mass Effect anyway.

Everyone knows that even more DLC is going to be released in the future, and all that DLC is going to cost money. And if your an ME fan your going to buy that DLC anyway.

Bottom line is if your a ME fan buy the game, buy the DLC that comes out, and STFU.

Otherwise forget about ME and go play something fits more into your budget, like checkers.

The game was initially going to be released in November, but they moved it because it was too close to Skyrim's release. There was a fair bit of time between when the game was basically complete and when it was to be released, and in this time, some extra content was created. It's not like they had a full game and removed something.

People are being so damned silly about this. I just played through this mission, and it isn't important to the plot. Not any more than Zaeed or Kasumi from ME2. The only difference is that the backstory is cooler.

If you want to get pissed off because the developers kept working after the game was over while the distributor decided to hold off on the release, go for it, but don't pretend that it's a matter or right and wrong.

The game was initially going to be released in November, but they moved it because it was too close to Skyrim's release. There was a fair bit of time between when the game was basically complete and when it was to be released, and in this time, some extra content was created. It's not like they had a full game and removed something.

People are being so damned silly about this. I just played through this mission, and it isn't important to the plot. Not any more than Zaeed or Kasumi from ME2. The only difference is that the backstory is cooler.

If you want to get pissed off because the developers kept working after the game was over while the distributor decided to hold off on the release, go for it, but don't pretend that it's a matter or right and wrong.

hit the nail on the head, i never expected it to be tied into the main story. all blown out of proportion due to one person with the power of youtube. the whole day one dlc thing is just stupid, ce were getting it if anything people should be glad they don't have to wait months, they could just keep it ce exclusive that would annoy people more.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the collector's edition (which honestly I regret now...) so I got DLC free as well and if I hadn't gotten it free I don't think it'd be worth it because 10 bucks for this minuscule sad excuse of a DLC? just to up day 1 sales? WTF?!!

I dragged ass to get all I could out of it and I still finished in like a whopping 20 minutes and like I said I was really fucking around on it so how is it worth 10 bucks ill never know.

ME2 u got it free with all versions and then was guaranteed certain future DLCs free as well like a season pass

ME1 the DLCs were better than the From Ashes, IMO, and were only $5 each.

You only get 1 damn character and a gun that I personally never even used, I equipped it to Javik to see it in action then never seen it again. It's one of those DLCs if you blink you'll miss it, and when its over you forgot it happened. Really it isn't even free since the biggest thing with the collector's edition is this DLC and the collectors cost $20 more, but oh wait i got ANOTHER pretty little art book, wow....how nice

EA=money. They aren't a gaming business they're a commerce business. shutting down servers, dictating content, forcing $10 online passes when you're already required to pay for XBL gold to play multiplayer (and the multiplayer is a shoddy horde mode tack on as it is) nickel and diming wherever they can...