So.... What Does Everyone Think?

T FUNK 1984

So now that we've all had a chance to play the finished game what does everyone think?

I've seen reviews for this game saying it's crap and others saying it's great, I think I fall somewhere in between. The single player campaigns I don't really care for so far (still to finish Marine and Predator) but I think the multiplayer is great. The only think that is really getting to me is some of the movement with the Alien. It just isn't as fluid as on the old AvP games (clinging to things when I don't want it to or vise versa, jumping/falling off the ceiling to be facing a completely different direction).

I played the demo and thought this game would be awful (yet I still pre ordered it....) so I'm pleasantly surprised but at the same time I really think it could have been better than this.

What does everyone else think?

As I've said several times before, it is a good starting place for a much better sequel. I'm the opposite of you, I loved the single player campaign, but so far have had no desire to take it online yet. Not saying it's bad, just nothing to interest me about it. I think Rebellion did a great job all things considered. This is the studio that gave us Shellshock2 with all it's Zombie Vietnam glory after all.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5/10 and that's just without spending any time online with it yet.

I agree much more with IGN UK's review, they gave it an 8.5 which is considered "Great" on their site.

You can't be thinking, this is a regular FPS while playing. It's not. It's far from the average fps. Yes the marine is more like a survival horror meets FPS... I really like it. How dark it is at times is awesome and sets the tone when aliens start crawling down the walls like crazy.

The other two campaigns are a lot of fun. I really enjoyed them. The way the Alien moves is sick, as long as you don't have vertigo.. you should be fine. I was expecting ridiculous controls, yet I find the Alien so easy to use. And obviously, the Predator is badass as usual.

I saw all of the mixed reviews, waited a few days before making a decision and my friend who has similar tastes in games as I liked it..... so I took a chance on it and I am very happy with it. A sequel to this game could be something amazing... and maybe on standard HDTV's and regular TV's the graphics are so good. But I have a top of the line HDTV with millions to 1 contrast ratio and a refresh rate of 600hz. The game looks great on my TV. Not the best graphics I've ever seen, but definitely above average for todays standards. The character models and certain environment details are really good.

Not to mention the multiplayer is just sick, especially if you have friends to play it as well.

I was really looking forward to this game, then I saw such mixed reviews so I paused in buying it... figured I'd do some more research and get opinions of people I actually know are real gamers and have it. So I went into the game expecting nothing but for it to at least be good enough to warrant the purchase, and I'd say it was worth every penny and I'd recommend it to my friends. It's a great game. The points that each negative or rather just mediocre review that I've seen all show that the reviewer doesn't know wtf they are talking about. The Alien moves great and the learning curve is low, actually I didn't even have a learning curve. I tried it and off I went, no problems. If you expect the screen to not flip upside down, etc... then how the heck could you properly play the Alien? They did great with it. I wouldn't change anything in that aspect, they really did a great job and I don't know how you would wind up on the sealing when you meant to go somewhere else, unless you are just spamming buttons and don't know wtf you are doing. That was in one of the reviews, I honestly think I may write a review myself on gamespot and/or ign because other gamers need to know that the gamespot and gameinformer reviews were a joke and no way did they fully experience the game and if they did, then they don't have much common sense to figure out if the aliens crawl on walls, ceilings, etc.. your view will change. If it weren't like that then it would be a broken game, but that isn't the case so be happy and if you are thinking of buying it, it's worth the chance imo... I really like it and if you haven't played the MP... you are missing out. Try it.

What I meant with the Aliens controls was in the old AvP it was a case of hold 1 key and you cling to whatever surface, if you let go of the key you don't cling. I understand the physics of it I just don't like the controls. On this AvP there's been a lot of times (single player and online) where I've wanted to walk up the wall for example, held RT then had to stop and wait for a second before it actually does this. Don't get me wrong I love playing as the Alien - online it's by far my favourite class but I think it could have been done better.

In terms of ratings I'd probably go for 7/10 overall.

I think it's far better than the negative reviews state, in terms of creating an experience which feels like being a marine, predator or alien the game nails it on the head. I've been scared s***less several times in the marine campaign and I'm barely half way through it, and being the predator feels like you're being the ultimate hunter. Aliens take some getting used to, but after that it feels fine. I think survivor is a highlight too, mainly because it captures the fear of being cramped in a room with lots of aliens.

8/10 for me.