Computer help...

Hitman486

Not sure if its the right place to ask but..

I can't install Service Pack 3 for XP.. It will start installing, then the blue screen comes up.. Now I want to :uzi:the computer, and include the monitor and speakers for kicks.

Is there a reason for this or computer virus..

if you do not have a genuine copy of windows and are trying to install the update (SP3) it does cause this problem, also if it does manage to install, it puts a bit fat message across your screen that you cannot get rid of telling you your copy of windows is not genuine, and you need to buy a validation key from microsoft.

if your copy of windows is legit, but you have had to re format your computer at some point previously, then you may have to re validate it all.

to be honest, service pack 3 isnt all that great, as long as u got sp2 and some good antivirus etc.... you ok with that.

hope that helps!!

if you do not have a genuine copy of windows and are trying to install the update (SP3) it does cause this problem, also if it does manage to install, it puts a bit fat message across your screen that you cannot get rid of telling you your copy of windows is not genuine, and you need to buy a validation key from microsoft.

if your copy of windows is legit, but you have had to re format your computer at some point previously, then you may have to re validate it all.

to be honest, service pack 3 isnt all that great, as long as u got sp2 and some good antivirus etc.... you ok with that.

hope that helps!!

My copy is legal, but I have had to take my Hard Drive in to the Geek Squad for it to be fixed..

My copy is legal, but I have had to take my Hard Drive in to the Geek Squad for it to be fixed..

Paying a shop extortionate amounts of money for like a 30 minute fix?

BSODs are caused for a lot of reasons.... It could be a RAM error, problem with the PSU, anything like that.

Paying a shop extortionate amounts of money for like a 30 minute fix?

BSODs are caused for a lot of reasons.... It could be a RAM error, problem with the PSU, anything like that.

If 30 minutes equal about 5 days or 1 week..

Moving on, I haven't tried installing SP3.. Is there anything significant about it?

If 30 minutes equal about 5 days or 1 week..

Moving on, I haven't tried installing SP3.. Is there anything significant about it?

Probably not, my computer running XP and Vista (dual boot) has XP SP2 and Vista pre-sp1. As does my laptop. I can't be bothered with Windows updates. :mad: