Metal Gear Solid: Rising won’t use MGS4 Engine

Metal Gear Solid: Rising won’t be using the same engine as Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Instead, Kojima Productions is building a multiplatform one from scratch to support the PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.

Despite some initial concerns, they assure their fans that the multiplatform development won’t compromise the game in their latest podcast. In fact, Kojima Productions even promise that Metal Gear Solid: Rising will end up looking better than Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Still, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is one of the best looking games so far this generation. It is a shame to see it not being utilized again. Perhaps Playstation 3 fans can find solace in this announcement by the fact that it also lowers the chances of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots being ported to the Xbox 360.

Source: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-6894-SF-Console-Game-Examiner~y2009m6d12-Metal-Gear-Solid-Rising-wont-use-MGS4-Engine

• 3 months later...
I heard from a PS3 friend that MGS4 take up a whole blu-ray disc and would take 5-6 normal discs to run on the 360.

So if the game is going to be anything like MGS4, its good for me. And i just finished that game at a friends house.

Yeah it did take up a full disc and it's another PS3 game that makes you copy part of it to the hard drive whether you want to or not. No load times when playing. The copying of the data takes place before the beggining of each chapter.

MGS4 is one of the few games that I have actually been willing to turn my PS3 on for. It gave me a new appreciation for Raiden so I'm hoping the new game doesn't wussify him again.

• 1 year later...

Of course it won't. MGS4 Slogan : Tactical Espionage Action. MGS:Rising : Lightning Bolt Action.

Also, it's been said many times this won't be a stealth based game. I'm sure it'll consist of some stealth gameplay, but it's more of a hack'n'slash then tactical espionage action.