Did anybody else find this dull?

I like to think that I'm a huge Halo fan. Beaten every single Halo game multiple times besides the first one. I had only ever beaten CE once on the release of the first XBOX. I can't remember it too well as I was only 11 years old at the time but going through now getting the full 1000 felt like an absolute chore.

Now, I understand how great the game was for its time and how Microsoft/Xbox probably wouldn't be where they are today without it but, I find the game so dull now!

The story is great but aside from that the levels feel like they drag on far too long (Assault on the Control Room & The Library would never end!) And although a lot of the game is colourful, the levels look boring and ugly after awhile.

I'm not sure exactly what could have been different about the game that I'd have liked but it's just made me realise how much of a vast improvement all of the sequels really are.

As I've said, I'm a huge Halo fan. I would happily play through any campaign at any given time just not Halo 1! Does anybody else feel the same at all?

^^^ next time try the edit button maybe???

OT: I still maintain Halo CE is the best campaign, although i do agree with OP that the levels did feel long compared to newer halos but that was part of the fun and challenge and i found myself enjoying seeing what had been done with the new graphics, often standing in one place for minutes switching back and forward between new and old.

There were a few achievements i found to be a chore, mainly not killing any grunts on Two Betrayals:mad: but overall it was an easy 1000

Edited by DEG23

It only felt long because the amount of walking between action parts. I'm not down with the board names, but backtracking on the snow board (2 betrayals??), the walking through the tunnels, The lack of close quarters will also make an impression on you. You can wwalk endlessly ina small tunnel and feel better than walking in a larger field. Just depth perception making things seem slower.

They could of put more covi in some parts, or inserted some transportation. Again.. the backtracking on "2 betrayals" the corridors just suck... no action, nothing to miss, basically runing from 1 action point to another. i know they stuck to the original, so I can't bitch too much.

Like you, I don't love it. I bought it thinking I'll have fun playing it as it's the only Halo I haven't played but I was wrong. Some of the levels are nice but most of them are long and boring.

By the way, is it just me or it's the hardest Halo game? On legendary solo, it's freaking painful as you always have to find healthpacks and the checkpoints are pretty far from each other. I had to restart a few missions with my brother as I wasn't able to continue alone.

I found the achievements to be very fun. I only have 6 left to do and it's definitely one of the best achievement lists I've ever seen. Halo 3 ODST and GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony are my other two favourites.

As for the game itself, yes it's too drawn out but as for difficulty I haven't played through anything higher than Normal without Grunt Explosion and Bandana on so I can't really comment on how hard it is because those two make it easy. I blew through the whole game on Heroic as easily as the modern games on Normal, and the first level of Legendary (which is all I've done so far) was no harder.

I loved it.

I think it made a good impression on me just for all of the nostalgia - flicking from the old graphics to the new. I'm glad they didn't change anything. Fair enough, parts of it did feel very outdated, like the lack of a sprint button, but that was just how it was back then. The entire game still felt epic like it did 10 years ago. :) Perhaps I wasn'tdisappointed becuase I knew exactly what it was going to be like.

They've made MANY great adjustments. That being said, Halo 1's campaign still is king to me (3 VERY close behind, then ODST, then Reach, then 2).

I LOVED it. It still holds up to modern shooters imo, but you can also see the aging process of it as well. Works both ways.

Have fun on The Library.

The Library isn't as bad as most people make it out to be.

For me the key was to know how to "abuse" the points that trigger flood spawns. If you move back and try to kill everything before moving on you won't get anywhere because when you get back up you'll just trigger the spawn again. However if you run past the long hallways where flood jump down from above they stop spawning, and then you just turn around and pump shotgun shells and lob grenades until there's nothing left moving.

Doing it on Heroic I only died once in the whole level and only because a grenade triggered a chain reaction with grenades lying around the "dead" bodies. Obviously Legendary will be harder but when the only death on Heroic is because of unused weapons that are lying around that's a good sign.

The biggest thing about The Library is that if you run out of weapons you're screwed, desperately trying to find more shotgun shells or grenades is the one thing that's guaranteed to lead to death. Bandana takes care of that and lets you focus purely on the killing, and that makes it far more simple. And I really recommend turning Boom off, those carrier forms are deadly with it on and there are too many grenades lying around just waiting to go off and kill you.

The Library isn't as bad as most people make it out to be.

For me the key was to know how to "abuse" the points that trigger flood spawns. If you move back and try to kill everything before moving on you won't get anywhere because when you get back up you'll just trigger the spawn again. However if you run past the long hallways where flood jump down from above they stop spawning, and then you just turn around and pump shotgun shells and lob grenades until there's nothing left moving.

Doing it on Heroic I only died once in the whole level and only because a grenade triggered a chain reaction with grenades lying around the "dead" bodies. Obviously Legendary will be harder but when the only death on Heroic is because of unused weapons that are lying around that's a good sign.

The biggest thing about The Library is that if you run out of weapons you're screwed, desperately trying to find more shotgun shells or grenades is the one thing that's guaranteed to lead to death. Bandana takes care of that and lets you focus purely on the killing, and that makes it far more simple. And I really recommend turning Boom off, those carrier forms are deadly with it on and there are too many grenades lying around just waiting to go off and kill you.

True points, the shotgun is a godsend in the level. I died a few times but they were more me being dumb and making rash decisions rather than backing into a corner at the end with the shottie and frags.

343 never pretended this was going to be anything but a complete remake, engine and all. So if you've bought it with anything else is mind then that is your first mistake. I agree that it would have been interesting for the new generation of gamers to experience this storyline with a more modern FPS engine. But I think first and foremost this was made for nostalgic purposes, and it did exactly that for me. Plus, I still think the gameplay that Halo: CE offered is better than 75% of FPS's that come out today. HALO FTW!

The graphics are stunning, I could run around pressing 'Back Back' on this game all day long. Well... for a little while at least!

I underestimated how good the graphics would be, especially after a few presses of the back button. I think the graphics are the only part of this game that is showing it's age. Back in the day i though Halo CE had amazing graphics but ten years on i didn't think they would look that bad.

Edited by DEG23

Yeah they did a PHENOMENAL job on the graphics. It still looks good for the most part, 10 year later. This is hugely credited to the amazing art team.

Sure they HD shading/lighting that wasn't available 10 years ago can make it look pale in comparison, but look how amazing it looks with all the upgrades. I'm one happy Halo fan they gave this game so much McLovin.

I found the first half of the game to be really fun and I was quite impressed with the visuals. However, once the Flood comes out, it was boring. I mean having to cough walk cough back thru nearly every level I just did was boring and tedious.

Of the Halo series, I always thought the game play got better after each new game. I really missed the ability to have two guns out at once.

• 1 month later...
I found the lasck of any kind of sprint to be the biggest issue I had. I knew going into it that it would be just like the OG but since I haven't played it THAT one for so long (and had the sprint on other halo games), it killedme to slowly walk through some area. Game could of went aloty better with a sprint feature.

Halo: Reach was the first game to introduce sprint. Halo CE, 2, 3 and ODST had no sprint at all. So walking slowly in Halo games has been pretty mandatory until Reach.

When I first started playing the Anniversary edition of the game I was severely irritated with the fact that Master Chief had no abilities available to him (i.e. sprint, armor lock, etc.) that the original Noble team had. I mean what happened? Was the Pillar of Autumn over its weight limit and they had to throw some stuff overboard? Then add in the same generic hallways and rooms that repeated themselves like a Flintstones running background. Plus a lot of the missions seeming like a chore. What? I just fought everyone to get in here and now I have to backtrack and fight everyone to get out?

Canon wise - the Armor Abilities were lost when Reach was glassed.

Love the Halo games but I have to agree that this one has felt really long and boring. I still haven't gotten the full 1000 yet and I may not for some time because I am dreading another play through of some of these levels. Many of them were just so damn long. Not to mention the added time from getting lost constantly with no way points. Never played the first halo until now so it was very easy to get disoriented during combat.

I know it is just supposed to be the same game with better graphics but I would have loved if they added in some of the abilities from the other halo game. Like stealing vehicles from enemies and dual wielding. Also, throw in some of the other weapons like the smg, the plasma cannon (not sure if thats right), and some of the other rifles. Because after two levels I was bored of using the same weapons over and over.

One last thing my friend told me they nerfed the assault rifle. Said the original had a larger clip size and did more damage. This true?

Love the Halo games but I have to agree that this one has felt really long and boring. I still haven't gotten the full 1000 yet and I may not for some time because I am dreading another play through of some of these levels. Many of them were just so damn long. Not to mention the added time from getting lost constantly with no way points. Never played the first halo until now so it was very easy to get disoriented during combat.

Halo: CE shows it's age with lack of waypoints. That being said, it doesn't hold your hand - and it's up to you to explore. You can easily get immersed and lost, and that's what I love about it.

I know it is just supposed to be the same game with better graphics but I would have loved if they added in some of the abilities from the other halo game. Like stealing vehicles from enemies and dual wielding. Also, throw in some of the other weapons like the smg, the plasma cannon (not sure if thats right), and some of the other rifles. Because after two levels I was bored of using the same weapons over and over.

The balancing in these weapons were the best in the series imo. Maybe with the exception of the AR in Reach (really liked that one). Yes, there are a few things that show their age, but this is what started it - and it STILL plays as well as any Halo game to date.

One last thing my friend told me they nerfed the assault rifle. Said the original had a larger clip size and did more damage. This true?

This is NOT true. They did not touch ANYTHING game-play wise. It is as true to CE:A is to the 360 as CE was to the Xbox.