Crystarium

EveAres

No, in that instance, you only want to level up COM on large nodes. For the small nodes that don't give the bonus, level it up using RAV or even levels of SYN. In regards to SYN, level it on even levels on small nodes and level it on odd levels on large nodes (since the odd levels give mag while small give HP which is less useful). It's kinda complicated at first, but once you have that "ah ha" moment, it's really quite easy.

how do you level up monsters to higher levels. for example I love my albino lobo but he's at level 20 and can't progress right now. the guide says his max level is 70. is there other items ill get later to continue leveling up. am I just not comprehending this monster stuff correctly?

Didn't know whether to put this here or the future tip topic but anyway here is a bit more specific info if anyone wants to plan out their characters

All of it comes directly from or is based off info found here

www.gamefaqs.com/boards/619315-final-fantasy-xiii-2/61694532

These are the two characters rough stats without any large node bonuses. I say rough because I'm not sure if their is any randomness in the cystarium this time around.

Serah: 6613 HP, 402 att, 484 mag

Noel: 8556 HP, 557 att, 407 mag

There are 9 large nodes per cycle of the crystarium and you do 22 cycles. One large node is already used so you have access to a total of 197 large nodes to customize your character with.

Serah and Noel both start the game as a level 2 COM. Serah a level 2 Rav, level 1 SEN while Noel switches the two.

If you use all large nodes only to level SEN, MED and SYN to max health

(HP +6)*197 = 1182 HP

Which IMO isn't worth it.

If you raise COM and SAB to max strength you get an extra

(Str +2)*(97 COM lvl + 49 SAB even lvl) = 292 Str

Which leaves 51 large nodes to use on MAG or HP

If you choose to raise RAV, SYN and SAB to max Mag

(Mag +2)*(97 RAV lvl + 49 SAV odd lvl + 49 SYN lvl)= 390 Mag for Serah

(Mag +2)*(98 RAV lvl + 49 SAV odd lvl + 49 SYN lvl)= 392 Mag for Noel

Serah has 1 free large node while Noel has the two

So if you choose to raise Mag and put the extra into attack your characters stats will look like this

Serah: 6613 HP, 404 atk, 874 mag

Noel: 8556 HP, 561 atk, 799 mag

If you choose to focus on raising str the stats look like this

Serah: 6613 HP, 694 atk, 484 mag

Noel: 8556 HP, 849 atk, 407 mag

Which leaves you with the possibility for an extra 306 HP or 102 MAG. I'd go for HP for a reason I'll mention later.

If you choose to spend 98 nodes on each of mag and str you would get

Serah: 6613 HP, 598 att, 680 mag

Noel: 8556 HP, 753 att, 603 mag

and have one node left over

If you manipulated the large nodes to keep their stats even you would end up with

Serah: 6613 HP, 640 att, 640 mag (119 in atk, 78 in mag)

Noel: 8556 HP, 679 att, 679 mag (61 in atk, 136 in mag)

Now in terms of weapons their are 4 weapons to take note of. You may want to bring up the calculator and plug them into the various builds listed above to help determine which build you want to go with.

- one with 220/220 stats at max and no special effect (power is dependent on the number of fragments collected)

- one with 1/1 stats but raises Noel's mag to equal his attack and the other way around for serah, which is why I said if you choose to focus on a characters str use any extra nodes to raise HP instead of MAG

- one with 160/115 stats giving ATB+1. It's atk/mag for Noel, reversed for Serah

- one with 80/64 stats giving +50% ATB speed. It's atk/mag for Noel, reversed for Serah

Does anyone know what is the name of the weapon that is 1/1 Stats but raises Noel's mag to equal his attack and the other way around for Serah? And where do you get it?

Be careful with that guide though. The OP there read and misunderstood the guide so if you follow his instructions you're going to get it wrong. There's info left out of there telling you which roles you are supposed to level up on the large nodes and which to use on the small ones.

Care to explain how I misunderstood it?

The official guide does something very similar and their version of Serah comes out with roughly identical stats:

6919 HP

402 Strength

880 Magic

Solely based on Serah, you'd be levelling Ravager only on large nodes alongside levelling Saboteur and Synergist so that you always gain magic stats for role bonuses (level every role bonus so that you are increasing to an odd level only). Commander, Medic, Sentinel and Saboteur/Synergist (on even levels only) would be on the smaller nodes so you don't waste magic role bonuses.

Edited by EveAres

If you're the OP from the ps3trophies, then you kept saying to level up in the order listed. So like 6 COM, 6 RAV, 3 SEN. Whereas you're supposed to (for a STR char) only put those COM points at large nodes, the RAVs all at smalls, and the SENs at odd for MAG or even for HP. If you drop 6 COM in a row, then you'd only get 3 COM boosts and 3 COM boosts are forever wasted.

EDIT: and in the last post, when I mentioned the OP it wasn't you unless you were the OP of the guide linked to on PS3trophies before my post.

Care to explain how I misunderstood it?

The official guide does something very similar and their version of Serah comes out with roughly identical stats:

6919 HP

402 Strength

880 Magic

Solely based on Serah, you'd be levelling Ravager only on large nodes alongside levelling Saboteur and Synergist so that you always gain magic stats for role bonuses (level every role bonus so that you are increasing to an odd level only). Commander, Medic, Sentinel and Saboteur/Synergist (on even levels only) would be on the smaller nodes so you don't waste magic role bonuses.

If you're the OP from the ps3trophies, then you kept saying to level up in the order listed. So like 6 COM, 6 RAV, 3 SEN. Whereas you're supposed to (for a STR char) only put those COM points at large nodes, the RAVs all at smalls, and the SENs at odd for MAG or even for HP. If you drop 6 COM in a row, then you'd only get 3 COM boosts and 3 COM boosts are forever wasted.

EDIT: and in the last post, when I mentioned the OP it wasn't you unless you were the OP of the guide linked to on PS3trophies before my post.

Basically Azn is saying that the OP of the thread:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/final-fantasy-xiii-2/144130-crystarium-explained-optimal-leveling-guide-2.html#post2478730

did not explain the guide's in between parts, and in fact, you are supposed to do what ReaperZer0, Ceromorth, and PSKmustang in that thread said. You follow the guide, you level according to that, but you do not just go straight out and level them blindly. You have to make sure you configure your large nodes in the way you want.

The way I understood it was that whatever is in Role Bonuses is how you're supposed to use the bigger nodes, and then fill up the smaller nodes with the others, so as to level those up but not get their bonuses, but the ones that are better suited for your character.

So for example, the first stage of Serah's, I went Ravager on all the large nodes, and leveled the Commando and Sentinel with the smaller ones. I think this is what they intended with that guide.

Other thing to note would be that for Serah, all Synergist and Saboteur levels on the large nodes should be on odd levels to get the proper bonus of magic. As in, it when you activate it, it should move it up to an odd number.

For Noel, all large nodes filled by Synergist need to be odd, and the Saboteur ones should be on even levels.

Also, the other thing is that Serah's Stage 3 Crystarium recommendations seem to be backwards, 4 of the large nodes should be Ravager, and 5 should be Saboteur. Only way that one makes sense with what I've said previously.

Just sharing what I've gathered.

Taking the info from this thread to hand is this basically what you guys are saying is the best. Bracketed Amounts being what should be on the large nodes.

Example 1

Serah:

RAV, SAB ODD LEVELS, SYN ODD LEVELS ON LARGE NODES FOR MAGIC FOCUS

1: COM: 9 / RAV: 10 / SEN: 3 / / / CP : 2,580 (9 RAV)

2: COM: 20 / RAV: 19 / / / / CP : 4,570 (9 RAV)

3: COM: 26 / RAV: 23 / / SAB: 11 / / CP : 5,580 (4 RAV, 5 SAB)

Example 2

Noel:

COM, SAB EVEN LEVEL ON LARGE NODES FOR STRENGTH FOCUS

SYN ON ODD LEVELS FOR EXTRA MAGIC

1: COM: 10 / RAV: 9 / SEN: 3 / / / CP : 2,580 (9 COM)

2: COM: 19 / RAV: 20 / / / / CP : 4,570 (9 COM)

3: COM: 23 / RAV: 26 / / / / SYN: 11 CP : 5,580 (4 COM, 5 RAV)

Sorry if i am wrong and still confused http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/images/smilies/thinking.gif

A few observations I have from playing with the Crystarium. Please correct if I am wrong. Sorry if these things are fairly obvious, but having reread this more than once I still did not grasp the below concepts until I actually sat down with the game.

First, the role bonus ONLY applies to large nodes.

Second, each node unlocks its own specific stat increase, regardless of what role you used to unlock the node.

Third, if you wanted to maximize one particular stat, then your best best is to only level up the role on a large node.

The Crystarium was quirky at the start, but I am much happier with the FFXIII-2 Crystarium than the FFXIII Crystarium. The customization potential is much better.

I have decided to make Serah my Str/COM/SAB character and Noel my Mag/RAV/MED/SYN character. Looking at the FFXIII-2 Wiki (and assuming the mechanics from FFXIII are left over), it seems that the Mag stat is important for SAB/SYN only in length of time of the buff/debuff but not the percentage of application.

So I prefer my Syn buffs to be longer than my Sab debuffs. Furthermore, I am more impressed with Noel's MED abilities than Serah's.

Thoughts?

Ceromorth and PSKmustang were not in there yesterday when the link was put in on this topic, but ReaperZer0 had already cleared up the doubt yesterday with his first two quotes that I put up.

But yea, back to my question too if someone can answer, what is this:

Does anyone know what is the name of the weapon that is 1/1 Stats but raises Noel's mag to equal his attack and the other way around for Serah? And where do you get it?

Indeed lots of info to take in, kinda glad its not just a simple level up all 6 abilities to 99 tho. Makes it more interesting

Although, if you have good monsters, and switch your paradigms (and create them well), it does not matter what stats you boost in the Crystarium. You should be able to kill any enemy. Though...how "long" it takes you to kill an enemy... well, that is very much affected with how you stat yourself in the Crystarium.

So, this is all really confusing. I'm only about 5-6 hours into the game, but this is how I lvl'd up so far.

Serah = Only leveled of RAV from 1 to 80 something

Noel = Only leveled of COM from 1 to 80 something

I've expanded the Crystarium three times. For each character I added two gauges to ATB and then Serah I got the RAV Bonus and Noel the COM Bonus.

I'm not a perfectionist and I don't care if I won't be able to reach max stats, I'm just concerned with being able to beat the game and 1K it. Did I mess anything up so far that will forbid me with doing the 99,999 damage acheevo? Or beating any of the monster "bosses"?

So, this is all really confusing. I'm only about 5-6 hours into the game, but this is how I lvl'd up so far.

Serah = Only leveled of RAV from 1 to 80 something

Noel = Only leveled of COM from 1 to 80 something

I've expanded the Crystarium three times. For each character I added two gauges to ATB and then Serah I got the RAV Bonus and Noel the COM Bonus.

I'm not a perfectionist and I don't care if I won't be able to reach max stats, I'm just concerned with being able to beat the game and 1K it. Did I mess anything up so far that will forbid me with doing the 99,999 damage acheevo? Or beating any of the monster "bosses"?

I'm gonna say no you're fine. I did something similar at first, but it might be a good idea to start leveling some other stuff too. I messed up and actually ended up getting the Giant's Fist achievement (99,999 Damage) before maxing out the crystarium. An easy way to do it is go fight Long Gui with decent weapons and stats, stagger him, get his chain to 999.9 %, make sure he is deprotected, and then hit him with Noel's scourge just as his stagger is running at. (Scourge is just a normal attack near the end of stagger that deals massive damage)

- COM gives you additional +2 to ATK

- RAV gives you additional +2 to MAG

- SEN gives you additional +6 to HP

- SAB gives you additional +2 to ATK when level is even OR +2 to MAG when level is odd

- SYN gives you additional +6 to HP when level is even OR +2 to MAG when level is odd

- MED gives you additional +6 to HP

When you say even and odd, do you mean the level you currently are, or the level it will turn into. So if i am currently level 11 SAB, will using a large node next give me +2ATK or +2MAG?

• 4 months later...

Wish i read up on this before i started i spent too many RAVENGER levels on small nodes for Serah it's now 99 and only has 360 magic , same with Noel he is 99 with 336. Hope it isn't bad enough i have to start over. I'm at The Archylte steppe and having problems with red chocobo and others on EASY!

Edited by ufc fan andy

Appologies if I'm pointing out the obvious here, but a good method is to use the bigger nodes for Serah's RAV/SYN (when even)/SAB (when even) and Noel's COM/SYN (when even/SAB (when odd) and the smaller nodes for SEN and MED? Still quite confused after reading the entire thread. :/