Grenade Launchers in Games

snipingheadshot

Should the grenade launcher be in the multiplayer aspect of games?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Should the grenade launcher be in the multiplayer aspect of games?

• Yes
    • No

What's the point in having them in multiplayer FPS games anymore? They're disliked by many, they require little skill relative to the rest of the game, and they don't really add anything to the game. If developers are putting them in games because it's "realistic" and real warfare has them, then there's a lot of things that could be added in place of it, depending on the game. In games like Battlefield, where the environment is destructible, I can see the appeal to use them. However, if that's the only reason for it, the developers could simply make it so it destroys walls, trees, etc., and not have splash damage. In addition, if they really have to make it a lethal weapon, then just make it direct impact only to kill. Basically like the smoke grenade launcher in BF3. What are your opinions on it? Keep it or get rid of it? What do you think it adds to the game?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they're fine in the majority of games, but noob tubes on Call fo Duty games especially MW are way too effective where as on Battlefield you have to pretty much get a direct hit or rely on splash damage after 3-4 shots. Every game handles them differently though.

Edited by Barad

As much as I hate them, I reckon they should remain in MP games. They're crutches, and the sort of people who need these crutches tend to be very good at padding out your kill count. Their death also promotes camaraderie in the form of team teabagging. Imagine if everyone you encountered could actually play the game properly? You'd get none of that.

@OP: I couldn't agree more with your sig.

Yes, leave them be.

Yeah, I dislike grenade launchers in MP. It's far too easy to get kills with

In COD, yes. Have you ever played BF3?

I think their fine in the majority of games, but noob tubes on Call fo Duty games especially MW are way too effective where as on Battlefield you have to pretty much get a direct hit or rely on splash damage after 3-4 shots. Every game handles them differently though.

That is why.

In Battlefield the rule is simple: don't miss.

If anything they're underpowered so people don't rely on them too much as opposed to say another cheap weapon like the M16. See more people use the noob tube for smoke grenades to cover an attack than to actually get kills.

Everyone flipped out about their effectiveness in Modern Warfare 2, so they nerfed the crap out of them in every title after that. I find them easy to evade on Modern Warfare 2, and the few times I've tried them on every other CoD after that, they are hilariously ineffective.

As for other titles, I have less of a say on them, as I've only dabbled in Battlefield and I don't think they're in Halo, but the times I've used them in BFBC2 they're very effective, as long as the enemy has a little bit of damage on them already.

I personally don't care. They have as much power as a sniper, so it seems to me like a silly thing to get angry about.

cheap weapon like the M16.

Whatever. :ass

Seriously though like you said smokes grenades for once are surprisingly useful if they're implemented correctly in a game like BF, this way they're not just another useless gadget but actually help in most situations. The same could be said for explosive launchers if they're also used correctly, like destroying small vehicles or clearing out a small room/corner.

I've seen videos on youtube where a game will start and a player would shoot a g-launcher in the air and randomely get a kill on the other side of the map! Dafuq..and this is MW2 mind.

Edited by Barad

I love grenade launchers. I love killing people constantly with them until they get so angry they just quit out. Call of Duty hardcore mode w/it letting you hear the mic of the guy you just killed for a few seconds made n00b tubing pure gold.

I do well with normal weapons but some times I just like to sit back and launch grenades at people for a while.

Most of the people who bitch though...I don't understand. 99% of the kills I get with grenades are because people keep running to the same location even though I just killed them there...I do it again, they bitch yet return seconds later. Rinse and repeat a few times and they just quit in a fit of rage. It's not hard to combat someone with a launcher, games with them are usually balanced quite nicely. I think people just like the complain about anything people use to kill them.

Although be happy none of you ever probably played against me in Modern Warfare 2. One man Army perk with launchers and Danger Close perk...I was not a pleasant opponent :biglaugh

I think people just like the complain about anything people use to kill them.

Although be happy none of you ever probably played against me in Modern Warfare 2. One man Army perk with launchers and Danger Close perk...I was not a pleasant opponent :biglaugh

If that was true, then killstreaks wouldn't be in Call of Duty. People have been complaining about them since MW2. Probably before that even.

So what are your reasons for wanting them to be in?

I think they're fine in the majority of games, but noob tubes on Call fo Duty games especially MW are way too effective where as on Battlefield you have to pretty much get a direct hit or rely on splash damage after 3-4 shots. Every game handles them differently though.

Completely agree. In CoD you have to hit anywhere around the person whereas on Battlefield they are extremely weak.

Should keep them, they are a part of the game and I find them enjoyable to use.

Next you will be going on about quickscoping in CoD, then probably people spraying with an LMG. If you are good enough then you should have no problem with them.

Okay. Why do you enjoy them?

This discussion has nothing to do with being good enough in a game to counter them. What do they add to the game? What is their purpose?

I feel like you can say that about a lot of weapons in games though not just the grenade launcher. I don't think it should be eliminated because I mean shotguns are really powerful too should we eliminate those? I mean I think there are ways to make them less powerful but I don't think they should be completely eliminated.

i agree, i havent been on black ops 2 in over 2 months but the shotguns where way too powerful, with a sprint perk and a shotgun you could rape, same with certain smg. Every game has that one weapon that is bs and you could make an argument against. I played COD like it was my religion and the launchers where no where near the problem the shotguns, quick scope, and smgs where. hell last time i played id go 2 or 3 games without seeing one, but you always had that Dick with sprint and lightweight perk with a shotty running around

and dont use the argument, well a shotgun at close range would be one shot kill. if thats the case there is nothing wrong with the launchers, trust me if one went off on the wall or ground next to you, you'd be one dead person

Edited by wesbranscum

Okay. Why do you enjoy them?

This discussion has nothing to do with being good enough in a game to counter them. What do they add to the game? What is their purpose?

Whats the purpose of thrown grenades? Pistols? A knife?

Variety of ways to kill your opponent. They add variety and fun to the game for those who enjoy using them.

Whats the purpose of thrown grenades? Pistols? A knife?

Variety of ways to kill your opponent. They add variety and fun to the game for those who enjoy using them.

couldnt agree more man, if people start bitching about "whats the point of them" then you can say that about every weapon, every perk and every kill streak. its just variety and changes the way people play. Ive never had a problem with grenade launchers, whereas on MW2 i hated everyone using the barret 50 cal or the interention for quick scoping, but hell i never complained. Theres nothing game breaking about a noob tube

I feel like you can say that about a lot of weapons in games though not just the grenade launcher.

I don't think it should be eliminated because I mean shotguns are really powerful too should we eliminate those?

True, but other things don't have the animosity that the grenade launcher does. That's why I'm picking on it.

That's personal preference. Everyone will have a different opinion and it will be game specific. Some games they are, some games they aren't. This is about grenade launchers.

Theres nothing game breaking about a noob tube

MW2.

They add variety and fun to the game for those who enjoy using them.

That's what I wanted you to say. Everyone will have a different reason for using it. I only use it for challenges. Others use it because it's their favorite weapon.