S.T.A.R. Labs Mission Discussion - Tips, Tricks, and Strategies

The purpose of this thread is to have an area of open discussion about some of the ridiculously hard S.T.A.R. Lab missions. Ask questions, give answers, or simply read up on some upcoming missions to prepare ahead of time.

To ensure that this thread doesn't become a mess, make sure to list the mission number and star(s) you're having problems getting. To better serve the later readers, when good solutions to common difficult missions surface or missions that I personally thought were difficult and can give advice on, I will try to constantly update this post to prevent endless scrolling.

As for any help I can give, my OCD limits me from going past the mission I'm currently stuck on, so any help with anything before that, I'd be happy to oblige.

Anyways, thanks for reading and enjoy!

Mission #3 - Kryptonite Batarangs (Star #3):

This one isn't too bad when you know what to do. The best solution is to keep Batman juggled. An easy juggle move for Supes is (Down + Y), followed by his Low Scoop (Down, Forward + X), then into any combo that works for you. Be careful in between set-ups, as this is when he most likely to strike. Sadly, the melee move Batman does with his Batarang and the upgraded slide move indeed do count against you. On the bright side, blocking these Batarangs will not affect your star.

Alpha X gave a method that worked for him. By using Heat Zap (Down, Back + A), he was able to get enough space in between him and Batman to be able to easily block the Batarangs. If you go with this method, Heat Zap Batman whenever he recovers from the previous attack and repeat. If he gets too close or blocks too much, don't be afraid to use Air Heat Vision (Up, Down, Back + X).

Mission #6 - Meteor From Krypton (Star #2 & General Tips)

This one can be very frustrating. If your having trouble with Superman's juggle, an easy one I discovered was (Down + Y), followed by his Low Scoop (Down, Forward + X), then the combo of your choice - easiest choice being the simple (X,X,X), which would net you the star. As for staying alive, be sure to abuse Superman's special moves, Heat Vision and Super Breath. Heat Vision (Down, Back + X) is a good range move to keep Catwoman at bay, while Super Breath (Down, Back + Y) is good for getting space between the two of you. Persistance is key here.

Mission #13 - Grenades and Grundy (Star #3)

Most aggrivating mission so far. Basically, to even stand a chance against Grundy without grenades, you need a solid plan. Here are two to choose from. What a buddy and I ended up using was the simple (X,X,Y) combo, jumping over him before he can react, then rinse and repeat. He might trip you up by grabbing, but just take your time, it will work eventually. Another helpful tip, once Grundy gets into the second health bar, do not use your super move in case he attempts a clash. The last thing you want is to do is let that old lug get his health back.

Twrs828 suggests to sit in the right corner and do the "Tricky Bat" (X,Y,Y) combo, using the Batmobile missiles whenever available. If needed, also use your Batarangs (Back, Forward + Y) and Straight Grapple (Down, Forward + X). Find which method that works for you and go with it. The key to this one is patience!

Mission #17 - Evil Duo (Star #2)

This one is pretty self-explanatory, but you need to know a few useful things. The most important by far is that you can only pull off specials. You cannot use any normal attack, even if it doesn't land. Make sure to be accurate with your button inputs on this challenge. The three you'll mostly be using is the Batarang (Back, Forward + Y), Straight Grapple (Down, Forward + X), and Slide Kick (Back, Forward + A). Also, watch out for Harley as she is a combo machine! (Special thanks to Veedrock and Zizzy12 for their info.)

Mission #24 - Rumble in the Museum (Star #3)

Your two best friends are going to be Sphynx Slice (Down + X) and Straight Whip (Down, Forward + X). Stay ducked often. This will stop gunshots from connecting, but will put you at a disadvantage when the little mines are thrown. When this occurs, get out of there and go on offense until at a safe distance. Limit jumping whenever possible. Also, note the position of the interactive robot in the background as the soldiers can use it too. Mix and modify this strategy and you'll win with relative ease.

Mission #30 - The Getaway (Star #2)

This can be one annoying star. Really, you have two ways to approach this - offensive or defensive. Personally, I went offensive and it worked pretty quickly after a short practice session in training mode. Basically, your main bane (Get it? Heh? Heh?) will be Nightwing. Once he starts a combo, you might as well go grab a snack because when you get back it'll still be in progress. Make good use of the Cat Style combo (X,X,Y), Scratching Post combo (X,Y,Y), Kitty-Cornered combo (A,A,A), Straight Whip (Down, Forward + X), and Cat Scratch (B, when scratches have been accumulated through combos). Don't let the grenades on the left go to waste either as they take out a good chunk of health. When Batman gets into the fight, stay towards the right of the stage. When he reaches about 30-40% health, by pressing the switch on the right you will finish the mission. This part is really crucial becuase on my run, my second meter was exposed but I got a Straight Whip off, allowing me to hit the switch for my star.

Zizzy12 also gave me a good combo. His tactic was to use the Cat Style combo (X,X,Y), into the Cat Claws move (Back, Forward + X), and if enough scratches have been accumulated Cat Scratch (B). This is pretty deadly if practiced properly.

Mission #34 - Race Around the World (Star #2)

For those of you who have trouble button-mashing (myself included), Veedrock brought up a common solution used in the past. By taking a spoon and rubbing it across the buttons very quickly, you should be able to get this star with ease. I know it sounds crazy, but just try it!

Mission #45 - Can't See Me (Star #2 & #3)

This can be aggrivating if you don't know how to approach the situation. First, a good tip to get those eight seconds without being hit is to abuse the level transition. Everytime prior to this challenge, I have used that to get my eight seconds (didn't on this one however) and it worked like a charm. The other star should be pretty self-explanatory. If your meter starts to creep up, use an upgraded Bolt of Zeus (Down, Back + Y, RT) or Atlas Torpedo (Back, Forward + Y, RT). With a little perserverance, these are pretty easily aquired.

Mission #49 - S H A Z A M (Star #1)

For those who aren't too good with Shazam, here are some good combos to use:

Personally, I used - Dash Black Adam into corner, Solomon's Judgement (B), Mighty Slam (Forward + A), catch him with Lifting Cut (Down + Y), and finish off with Hercules' Strength (X,X,Y). Twrs828 recommends the combo - Dash Black Adam into corner, Solomon's Judgement (B), then two doses of Hercules' Strength (X,X,Y). Pick which one works best for you and run with it. Any combo suggestions are welcome!

Mission #54 - Stay Alive (General Tips)

Yep. Another one of these, damn it. There are a few ways to handle it. One way which will net you Star #3 is the option to grab him repeatedly, as grabs take quite a while to execute. Dash and jump to dodge, then grab when necessary. Worked pretty good for me. Alpha X offered his solution. He started off with the fountain interaction (an easy way to get Star #2) and used Bane's Ring Slam (Down, Back + X). Then, by dashing and jumping, dodged Flash and used the motorcycle and car to his advantage. The key here is to use the environment. Do that and you'll be golden.

Mission #64 - Two-Face (Star #2)

By this point, I would assume your just as tired of these as I was, but 15 seconds? Really? I'll give you, step-for-step, my method. With modifications and tweaks, you should be able to pull this off. First, start off with a jump, into a Double Kick (Y), land, and go into Spinning Pistols (Down + Y). This should give you enough time to get to the right side of the screen. Keep dashing towards the neon sign and wait for Catwoman to get in range. Hop up and grab the arrow. Wait for her to get closer and unleash the fire hydrant. At this time, you should be about eight seconds in. Skillfully try to hop over her while she's down and make your way back to the dumpster. Use it if needed or keep jumping, it's up to you. Soon after, the 15 seconds should be over. Now, all that is left is for you to kick her ass! I would advise you to do this method only at the beginning of the mission so that you can see how much time you have left. It is a huge morale boost to see exactly how many seconds are left. Also, obviously this strategy requires some luck as Two-Face will be shooting the whole time. Just keep trying and it should work eventually.

Mission #73 - Assassin's Strike (Star #2 & #3)

The key to this one is memorization. Play through the mission a few times just to get a general feel for where these rocks come from. Now, I would advise you to go for one or the other star, but not both at the same time. For the 75 swings, any time you get an interval between rocks, rapidly tap A or Y. This will most likely get you hit a few times, so do the perfect run on another try. To get it perfect, just memorize the timing of the rocks that tend to give you more trouble. Practice makes perfect here. Keep on trying!

Edited by TheRealBr1ghtShadow

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mission #88 - (Stars #1, #2, & #3)

This isn't too bad for people who are good with Green Arrow. I, on the other hand, suck with him and in return had a hard time with this mission. My main tip is to use the environment. It will quickly take down health and will most likely connect with some proper timing. Just use your whole arsenal on him when he has a lower difficulty and play a little more defensivly when he reaches the higher difficulties. One of my saving graces was the special move, Hurricane Bow (Down, Forward + X), but use whatever works for you!

Mission #99 - Go Deep (General Tips)

I highly believe this mission requires a lot of luck. Through personal experiences, air bubbles would be convieniantly placed inside a mine or just on the outside of one, ensuing definite explosions if retrieved. I suggest waiting until you get a good setup (open spaces with air bubbles) and be very cautious. Your twenty air bubbles should come with naturally completing the mission, so don't focus on that. Focus more on not getting hit, as this is the much harder star. Also a small tip that should be noted - the top 15(?)% of the screen is blocked by an invisible wall, so keep that in mind when going for air bubbles!

Mission #106 - Freezer Burn (Star #2)

Out of all the types of missions in S.T.A.R. Labs, these are my least favorite. I highly recommend that you go to practice mode before you start this mission, because trying to land single special moves repeatedly like I did will not work. Even with practice however, there is still a ton of luck required. I felt like I was being specifically targeted by the ice chunks rather than them falling randomly like they are supposed to do. Avoid grabs if possible, because ice chunks can interupt these as well. Just keep trying, it'll work eventually. Any strategies for this mission are welcome, because I honestly can't think of one due to the ridiculous amount of luck needed to get this star.

Mission #118 - Outfield (Star #2 & #3)

If this mission has you just as frustrated as Mission #73 did, just follow the same advice - Go through the mission a few times to get a feel for it. From here, pick one of the two stars to go for, because most likely you will not get both in the same try. Personally, I found this one to be a little easier than the similar Deathstroke mission.

Mission #124 - What Is Your Malfunction (General Tips)

This one was frustrating. There is no set button inputs for the face buttons as they change randomly each time, so quick a experimentation before the round gets too out of hand should definitely be done. Other than that, just limit your super moves. Not only does it take away precious time, but it fills the Super Meter up quicker, which is something you definitely don't want when going for Star #2. Just keep trying. Eventually, you should have it all under control and be able to get three stars.

Mission #126 - Rocket! Rocket! - (Star #2)

With a little practice, this ain't nothing. Urbanus brought up a good technique which I used and that was to stay in the middle of the screen the whole time. With a basic understanding of where the rockets are coming from, you should get it after a few attempts.

Mission #147 - Slow Me Down (General Tips)

This can be a little frustrating. Basically, just get used to breaking free of the ice as you'll be doing that a lot, especially when you go for Star #2. If needed, go to practice and pick up a few simple combos to use. For the 20% combo, your super move should suffice. Avoid using grabs as they don't do enough damage in the time period to be worth using. Make sure to put Joker's ranged special moves to use, as they can be used to attack when there is no time to gain ground. Just keep at it and once you get used to it, it should be fairly easy.

Mission #156 - Super Power (Star #2)

This mission wasn't particularly hard, due to missions like it previously, but with this mission, I kept encountering a glitch that was making it much harder to obtain three stars. For myself, everytime I would start to stop Lex from powering the laser, he would keep the shield, stop powering, and continue to fight, leaving me with a shield to deplete and no health bars until I did a certain amount of damage. My best advice to you if this happens, is to use Doomsday's Crushing Strike (Back + A) or Megaton (Forward + A) moves as they do a considerable amount of damage. Combine that with a tactful use of special moves and you'll be fine.

Mission #165 - Green With Envy (Star #1 & #3)

This one really depends on the person's play style, but for me, this mission was torture. Sinestro has no real high-hitting combos, so if you're a noob like me, make good use of the Fear Blast (Down, Forward + X) move. More than anything, if you take anyway away from reading this, PLAY THE RANGE GAME. The AI for this Green Arrow has a nasty habit of spamming the Hurricane Bow, racking him up 3-7 hits each time. If you do have to get close, try to get a basic combo off to get some space.

Mission #173 - Raven Attack (Star #2)

I'm not sure if anybody else had as much trouble with this one as I did, but it seriously took me a day (with breaks) to beat it. First, if you're using a fighting stick, I highly recommend you swap to a regular controller as it will be much easier. Second, get into the habit of calculating speeds of incoming bats to see which ones you need to go for first. Although it seems like an obvious tip, when things get hectic, you'll need to spot the fastest bat and time it just right. Lastly, make sure to use your (LT) move when you have a full bar as this will explode every orb you have on the field. When using this, don't panic and explode it at the first bat in the pack, but rather manuever it into the group, then explode it.

Mission #188 - Hot Spot (Star #2)

This can be a bit frustrating. Your #1 tip here - Block like a mother f***er. If Black Adam gets you into a combo, you can bet that you'll be in prime position for the ground explosion. I can recall at least four or five times he knocked me into an explosion, rendering that run useless. Keep your eyes on the ground. If you look away, you could be snuck up on by an explosion, so try to be well aware.

Mission #192 - Throw Down (Star #2)

This mission was very frustrating to me. For the life of me, I could not get the grab chains to work. If you're having the same problem as me and it's screwing you out of Star #2, here are a few things to look at. First, if a video is more your style, watch this: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70C7bnBQKtk]Injustice Solomon Grundy How To Chain Grab (Trait) - YouTube[/ame]

If reading is more suitable for you, user Veedrock offered his advice:

For all chains, the first input needs put in right before Grundy smashes them to the ground. Once you get that timing down, then the real trials begin:

Power Chain: Input the command as he's swinging them down, before they smash into the ground. The input does not get reversed, if the inputs up top turn around then you're doing it too late.

Health Chain: Grundy should pick them up and slam them twice, once behind him then once in front of him, input the command in between these two smashes, after the backward smash but before the forward smash happens.

Defense Chain: Same as above, Grundy should smash them twice, this time just twice in front of him, input in between the two smashes (timing is much tighter here).

Also, if you are using a fighting stick, I found using a normal controller worked much better for me, so try that if it is giving you trouble.

Mission #196 - Avalance (Star #2 & #3)

You know the drill by now. Get a general feel for where the rocks are coming from, then when you're ready, go for your perfect or 75 swings run. It might take some time, but stay at it.

Any additions or revisions are welcome. More to come as time goes on!

Is there anything I need to add to this guide that I missed? Let me know!

-Last updated (05/15/13) at 8:00 PM-

Edited by TheRealBr1ghtShadow

I would also suggest maybe compiling the most frequently complained about/hardest missions and stating them in your OP so we can have a heads up before reading through all the comments!

I actually planned on doing that! Feel free to use this thread in your Achievement Guide once it starts to collect some complaints/responses.

It makes my eyes rain that the only way you can unlock the Flash elseworld costume is to 3 star every mission, something I know I will never do. I will definitely try an beat all the missions though just so I can get Shazam's New 52 costume.

You don't have to beat them all to unlock Captain Marvel's New 52 costume, you only have to beat his.

I haven't been able to get that one yet, but I was able to get him within two or three hits of defeat by using Heat Vision on infinite spam lol.

So, you just used it over and over?

EDIT: Fuck this challenge. I give up for now. All he is doing now is throwing them first thing in the fight and that makes this impossible.

So, you just used it over and over?

EDIT: Fuck this challenge. I give up for now. All he is doing now is throwing them first thing in the fight and that makes this impossible.

Yeah, I just kept hitting him with Heat Vision over and over, he finally got lucky and hit me with one, so I eventually gave up on it as well. Now that I have Captain Marvel's New 52 skin, I'm not even bothering with the rest of the challenges. Flash's Elseworld's Finest skin doesn't interest me nearly enough to make me put myself through that.

Yeah, I just kept hitting him with Heat Vision over and over, he finally got lucky and hit me with one, so I eventually gave up on it as well. Now that I have Captain Marvel's New 52 skin, I'm not even bothering with the rest of the challenges. Flash's Elseworld's Finest skin doesn't interest me nearly enough to make me put myself through that.

Too bad an achievement is for all 240 missions 3-starred. :(

Also, the mission with poisoned Superman vs. Catwoman is horseshit.

Any tips for avoiding Batman's Kryptonite Batarangs in Lab 3?

This was one of the harder Superman missions. Basically, if you can get him into a good juggle, it's impossible for him to Batarang you. A simple juggle to use is (Down + Y) leading into the Low Scoop move (Down, Forward + X). This gives you enough time to get off a quick combo. Just be careful in between set-ups. Also, not sure if you know this, but blocking them doesn't affect your star. I blocked about four on my run and still got it.

Anyways, just stay strong. I raged at this one pretty hard too, so I feel your pain.

I'm raging more at this game's Lab Missions and Battle Modes than any game I have ever played. What the fuck NetherRealm. WHAT THE FUCK.

Yea, the difficulty spike was a bit unexpected. I figured it wouldn't get hard until later into it. I was wrong... sadly, sadly wrong. I have to say, I did feel like a bitch when I had trouble on mission #3. Luckily, I wasn't the only one who thought it was hard.

Yea, the difficulty spike was a bit unexpected. I figured it wouldn't get hard until later into it. I was wrong... sadly, sadly wrong. I have to say, I did feel like a bitch when I had trouble on mission #3. Luckily, I wasn't the only one who thought it was hard.

It's freakin' ridiculous! I stopped after Mission 3 to try the Battles out and it took me an HOUR to finish Mirror Match. I understand games, this one in particular, are supposed to challenge you...but when Lex Luthor and Nightwing are juggling me in the center of the map for a 15 hit combo that drains my entire first Health Bar, I can't help but tear my headset off in rage and chuck my Injustice game frisbee-style out my fucking window!

I've definitely been more angry at other games compared to Injustice, but I have never gotten mad as fast as I get with this game. Christ.

The last game I got genuinely mad at a video game was Mortal Kombat's Jade Fight & Challenge Tower 2 years ago, and before that, Rock Band 2's Expert Endless setlist singing Shackler's Revenge (I fucking hate you Axel Rose).

Injustice tops both of them so far based off a single experience in Battle Mode, 2 Missions in S.T.A.R. Labs, and a Mini-Game in the Story Mode.

Bravo Injustice!

The difficulty spikes are outrageous, I agree. You literally go from "here, learn these very basic moves" to "you are now poisoned, one hit will kill you, dodge one of the fastest characters in the game for 20 seconds, and try to throw her 2 times and land a 4-hit combo on her" a few missions later.

... And that's one of the EASIER challenges.

That's what this place is for. To commiserate and vent with others, because you know that you're not alone and someone else is raging right alongside you, like a mutual brother in arms.

Granted, the game is still fresh. I'm sure exploits and optimal strategies will show up later... but, until then, hammer those buttons and try and beat Superman in a race using only one boost! And fight waves of characters with just one life bar and no continues! Sheesh, Netherrealm...

The difficulty spikes are outrageous, I agree. You literally go from "here, learn these very basic moves" to "you are now poisoned, one hit will kill you, dodge one of the fastest characters in the game for 20 seconds, and try to throw her 2 times and land a 4-hit combo on her" a few missions later.

... And that's one of the EASIER challenges.

That's what this place is for. To commiserate and vent with others, because you know that you're not alone and someone else is raging right alongside you, like a mutual brother in arms.

Granted, the game is still fresh. I'm sure exploits and optimal strategies will show up later... but, until then, hammer those buttons and try and beat Superman in a race using only one boost! And fight waves of characters with just one life bar and no continues! Sheesh, Netherrealm...

Even if exploits or useful tips are made available at a later date, I bet the Missions and Battles will still be awfully difficult. I mean, these aren't necessarily occurrences/events that watching a video or reading how to do them would help in my opinion :(

Haha oh man, if you guys are being OCD about 3 starring everything the first time, you're not going to enjoy later missions where you struggle to even beat it (assuming you ever get there :p). One of Green Arrow's in particular is strickly luck based, so much so that I couldn't do it, and the extra star challenges seem all but impossible.

I really hate missions where you have to avoid all attacks for 20 seconds, such BS. I've also determined that Grundy is the most broken character in the game.

Haha oh man, if you guys are being OCD about 3 starring everything the first time, you're not going to enjoy later missions where you struggle to even beat it (assuming you ever get there :p). One of Green Arrow's in particular is strickly luck based, so much so that I couldn't do it, and the extra star challenges seem all but impossible.

I really hate missions where you have to avoid all attacks for 20 seconds, such BS. I've also determined that Grundy is the most broken character in the game.

My OCD never goes away lol. I don't even know how I'm going to approach the Missions. Maybe making sure I 3-Star the current Missions before moving on.

Grundy, broken how? Overpowered?

My OCD never goes away lol. I don't even know how I'm going to approach the Missions. Maybe making sure I 3-Star the current Missions before moving on.

Grundy, broken how? Overpowered?

Grundy is INSANELY overpowered. My best character is Nightwing, and I fought a Grundy user online, and literally couldn't even touch him.