Next 360 Update to Speed Up the Dashboard

syntax419

Major Nelson hints at the "performance enhancements".

It's been a while since we've heard about dashboard updates for the Xbox 360, but the next one promises to speed up the sometimes-sluggish menu flipping of the New Xbox Experience. Larry Hryb (aka Major Nelson) spoke on his podcast (via VG247) about what to expect from the next update. "We are making the guide faster," he said. "The team has done some really good stuff around making performance enhancements. Whatever we call it (and it's not going to be called the NNXE), it's better with a lot of very cool new features." He also confirmed that the update will be coming later this year.

It's open to speculation what new features he's referring to, but a faster dashboard would go a long way to preparing the system for Project Natal. While flipping through menus with gestures seems like a nice feature, the current NXE's slight lag when flipping through menus might make the gestural control frustrating. Speeding up the process should help quite a bit.

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174892

Finally, they will (try) fix the lag on the dashboard.

Anyone want to speculate on the new features?

I think it's about time the dashboard lag was fixed, nothing more infuriating then waiting a solid 3 minutes for your arcade games to load just so you can spend another couple minutes figuring out what you want to play, then deciding you actually want to play something else, so its another wait....

Anyways, as far as the new features are concerned, i'm not all that interested tbh....

Besides a sped up dashboard, the only "new" features would be the addition of props but that's already been discussed in another thread so I'll leave it at that.

The only time I get frustrated at the dashboard is whenever I want to see what my friends are playing or if there's a video that interests me (which they hardly ever do) but will lag out on me which makes me simply quit the video without seeing it completely.:mad:

The new features are Probably going to be (From what i heard from E3) facebook, Last.fm(Or whatever it is), Music Marketplace, Avatar Marketplace, and That game downloading thingy (Direct to Drive or whatever they call it). But i don't want to wait till later this year for the lag fix :( I WANT IT NOW i could care less about the new features though.

The new features are Probably going to be (From what i heard from E3) facebook, Last.fm(Or whatever it is), Music Marketplace, Avatar Marketplace, and That game downloading thingy (Direct to Drive or whatever they call it). But i don't want to wait till later this year for the lag fix :( I WANT IT NOW i could care less about the new features though.

Direct thingy?

You mean direct download on certain games from the xbox marketplace... or something else?

I looking forward to direct download though, i don't have a wide selection of games here and if i want one i have to order it online, which is more costly because of the shipping and handling.