Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

FAQ Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII 13

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/ecto9/ffxiii/1-1.jpg

All further updates to this FAQ can be found here:

Fully Update FAQ is now here Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII 13 FAQ

NOTE: I will not be updating this thread unless I find the time.

However all questions and suggestion will be in this thread.

Note: EP cost based on easy mode difficulty unless otherwise stated

Pre-Order Bonuses:[spoiler=qaz]

Just for Pre-order (everyone)

Cloud Strife SOLDIER 1st Class DLC (code inside case)

=====

GameStop Exclusive Lightning Samurai Outfits include the Dark Samurai and Flower of Battle Outfits.

=====

Collector edition Bonus

Aerith Gainsborough ‘Midgar’s Flower Girl’ DLC:

=====

Amazon Pre-order

The Spira's Summoner DLC

Yuna's summoner dress, equip her staff, and even do her Final Fantasy X victory pose.

0. Before you start

• Decide what level to start at Easy/Normal, all recommendations say Easy (no difficulty related trophies)
  • Setting of how to handle overwrite of save files
  • There is default zoom to action view on battle, recommend to set to zoomed out, easier to watch from farther while battle explodes. There is a button to zoom in/out forget which!
  • Enable Outerworld and/or Facebook/Twitter feeds. (if you want to have access to free stuff)
  • There are 50 save slots available before run out of space. I always use them all. You can save almost anywhere.
  • DO NOT use in game menu to install to hard drive, use dashboard install only. NOTE: this is for X-BOX only as it has issues.
  • [NEW] Keep track of the number of items (only certain ones related to trophies)
    • Soul Seeds (after you get achievement for 50) keep a tally for reference so you have idea how close to 100 you are.

1. What is the best Garb for early game

• Passion Rouge , desert dunes merchant , deprotect Lv. 2, deshell Lv. 2
  • 4 Useful Garbs Ignition , Watery Chorus , Electronics, Woodland Walker from Canopus farm. Woodland Walker was most useful for me.
  • Cyber Jumpsuit , dispel Lv.2 , note have not used it.
  • Soldier of Peace(Jungle Hunter)

Artemis's Arrows - when you have heavy slash it becomes powerful Artemis arrow. Complete the side quest "The Hunter's Challenge" at the Wildlands. Note: the garb ATB is zero at start of battle.

2. Travel from place to place

• Use sprint as much as possible, hint on use, do not let the stamina bar drop to zero , stop sprint and let it revive before starting sprint again.
  • Use chronostasis as much as possible to stop time, cost 1EP.
  • you can use the transporter to access areas you have been to, cost is a high 2EP.
  • Don't use Monorail if the time is close to 6:00 (check the time it takes to travel) no need to waste travel time if you are about to get pulled back to the Ark. Ie it was 5:00 and I took monorail and once I got to destination it was 1 hour later and beam up time, wasted 1 hour I could have used for something else.

3. Which magic power is most useful or most used

note this is just a best guess at this point as not very good at this part

• Aero aka wind, outfit woodland walker has Aero+ Lv.2
  • Fire is good against most and one main quest boss battle. If you played prior 13 games you know who.
  • Deprotect and Deshell come in handy.

4. When to use overclock or other EP abilities

• Overclock is most useful when you stagger an enemy, cost 1EP.
  • Chronostasis , cost 1EP, as much as you can, especially in places where you can get it back quickly in monster battles. Like Desert Dunes, (I did the whole main quest using it 95% of the time)
  • Do not use Chronostasis prior to boarding the monorail it is wasted.
  • When about to start a battle if your EP is max or close to max use EP for Chronstasis if you know you will gain back the points you used after battle.

5. Synthesis Basics Question

6. Which quests and what order and what to avoid

• Complete all main quests in the first 5 days to avoid stat increase for the boss only 1 boss remains the same, but it is strong regardless.each main quest adds 1 day (if not mistaken)

Details below : http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6233911&postcount=5

• Canvas of Prayer can be left to the end in most part as they are easy and the day does not make it more difficult. As they do not provide time extention. also you will be able to do many of these just by playing the game and reading the wall post (Chocobo Girl near monorail)
  • Some sidequests are timed and need to be done at those times or before certain time otherwise they fail.
  • Need to do more then 34 side quests (like 40+ is best) and the quicker you do them the better, as these extend the time. There is a bonus day if you do enough Side Quests.
  • Leave the boss of the desert dune main quest to the very end, ( the last part of the main quest only ) so that if you like to have a companion during the quests in this area, as they leave after the boss battle. It makes clear out the side quests easier when you have a helper, and more fun , if you like extra dialog.
  • Schemata for Main Quests

7. What is the best weapon

Note: These weapons are free and no need to buy with in game GIL

There are better weapons for purchase, best ones available on Hard mode.

• Chaos blade is very good , not recall the stats on this. Quick stagger 75% magic/strength +600
  • A special weapon rated a bit higher then one below. 500 str/mag. Stagger power -90 , ATB speed +25, -50% str. This is a drop or mission bonus. Not used this one yet, so not sure if useful.
  • Shard blade looks cool and has some nice auto abilities , health regen for 15 sec. +500 str. +500 mag., Note: this one is as long as Light is tall
  • One of the nicest looking ones is the Blazefire Saber from XIII? NOTE: Fully upgraded it becomes one of the best

8. What is the best Shields

• Il Nome Della Rosa 42,000 Gil (HIGH ATB+) Day 6 (upgradeable to NV see next one)
  • Noblesse Veronique 180,000 Gil (HIGH ATB+) Day 10

9. Currency aka GIL ,or Money

• Do not buy adornments they add nothing other then might look cool
  • Save the GIL for expensive items later in game, ie 800,000 for NG+ weapon/shield
  • Need to buy 30 Garbs for trophy , cost about 40k
  • If you only spend 5,000 or less on a few items you need like a good shield that would be fine.
  • To make GIL make sure you pickup any shiny object on the ground it is worth GIL Note: you can actually be sprinting to next location and just hit A and it picks up item on the run.
  • Most battles net you GIL, and there are enhancements that forgo EP in favor of GIL.

NOTE:There are many more ways then above just a quick list.

10. Items you get on the Ark (by day #)

1. Mist Wizard Garb, Blizzard, Light Guard, shield and weapon. Prytwen and Devil's Daughter
  2. Red Mage Garb , Liberator weapon, Juno Sospita shield
  3. EP Ability Arise
  4. Garbs: Black Mage (my favorite from demo) White Mage
  5. EP Ability Esunada

11. How to get cool outfits (aka Garbs)

1. Miqo'te Dress

[ATTACH]8562[/ATTACH]

NOTE: When wearing this outfit as default while walking around the NPC have some interesting dialog. Also the finishing move/animation at the end is very cool.

See Spoiler for location

[spoiler=lkj]

Not sure if you need to get the phone number from that poster first

- In the Side Alley.

- Near Forge in Armor Alley.

- Near Outfitters in Hawker's Row.

- East of General Store in Hawker's Row.

You need to visit the Chocobo Girls in Yusnaan between 5pm and 3am.

This can be done anytime , not related to main quest, unless you have time to do it.

Note: you may already have visited/talked to one or more during the main quest.

12. Recovery Items

NOTE: try to keep one empty slot prior to selling soul gems or prior to turning in Canvas of Prayer quests. as you sometimes get special items. Or make sure you have one cheap item that you can toss in favor of the better item.

13. What you can buy on the Final Day

NOTE: not sure if these are available prior to final day.

Garbs

4 at 5,000 GIL

Innocence, Candy Raver, Sand Fox, Urban Outlaw

Champagne Gold 100,000

Nightmare 200,000 (one of the coolest looking Garbs)

Lilitu 200,000 Gil [HARD MODE ONLY] (not as cool as Nightmare)

Weapons

Stigma 360,000 Str +950/Mag +950/ATB +10

Morgenstern 360,000 Str +1300/Mag +350 (DAY 10+)

Hades' Pride 360,000 Str +350/Mag +1300

Heaven's Cloud 800,000 Gil Hard

Philosopher's Rod 800,000 Gil Hard

Shield

Megalesia 165,000 HP +2800 ATB 0 Guard 150

Guard of Avalon 165,000 HP +9000 ATB -15 Guard 70 Defender Lv2

Blasphemy 165,000 HP +1000 ATB +10 Guard Defense 280 (DAY 10+)

Apis Gauntlet 228,000 HP 0 ATB +10 Guard Defense 100 Strength 250

Juliet's Sorrow 228,000 HP 0 ATB +10 Guard Defense 100 Magic 250

Total 2,351,000 GIL

14. Side Quests

FAQ CONTINUED here http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6242556&postcount=22 as can not fit in here.

Edited by ecto69
NEW April 2014

Something else worth mentioning is that after a certain amount of days, some of the bosses get harder. I believe it's day 5 for main quests 1 and 2, and day 7 for main quest 4. I could be wrong about the days but I know it's something like that.

Day 5 for main quest 2; day 7 for main quests 1 and 4

Day 5 for main quest 2; day 7 for main quests 1 and 4

Main Quest 1 final boss levels up on day 8, BUT drops a different weapon (upgraded version) than easier version. Only one that does.

Main Quest 2 final boss levels up twice. Once between day 6-9 and again from day 10-12/13.

Main Quest 3 final boss stays the same throughout the whole time. BUT the sub boss in the side quest which can only be done after completing Main Quest 3 levels up like other monsters on day 7 and again on day 10. So for a easy side quest it is advised to complete Main Quest 3 and the side quest before day 7. Plus this Boss drops one of the most useful swords in the game for most high level battle setups.

Main Quest 4 final boss levels up from day 8 onwards. By completing this quest you lose your partner in that area. (Have always wondered if it would be worth keeping said partner for a certain battle that only appears from day 7 onwards on a NG+ would help the battle go more smother. Just a thought as NO one anywhere has suggested this.)

Main Quest Final final boss has a upgraded version IF you achieve the 14th day, or if you're playing a NG+.

I read somewhere that they recommend not completing the desert dune main quest final boss , so that you can do other quests in the area with the companion. I am doing this on NG+ and had debated doing it on NG but decide to just forgo on my first play thru.

There is a quick exit and return point at the start of the final phase of Desert Dune main quest. Make sure you activate the red cactar in the room you are in.

And hopefully you also have all the other red cactar activated around the whole map.

Edited by ecto69

I read somewhere that they recommend not completing the desert dune main quest final boss , so that you can do other quests in the area with the companion. I am doing this on NG+ and had debated doing it on NG but decide to just forgo on my first play thru.

Yeh i kinda did the same, after i found Earth Eaters not too hard i thought F**k it and just did the last Boss.

Also while i'm at it;

Just a few additions/tweaks

1. What is the best Garb for early game

Would add or change Cyber Jumpsuit for Electronica, or any of the four elemental garb's found at Canopus farm, as these are by far the best garbs for a mage class early on in the game.

2. Travel from place to place

- use sprint as much as possible , hint on use, do not let the stamina bar drop to zero , stop sprint and let it revive before starting sprint again. (would add changing main garb to one with Highest max ATB gauge as ATB gauge affects how much sprint bar you have, plus explaining in more detail that the sprint bar fills up quicker if it doesn't get depleted)

you can use the transporter to access areas you have been to, cost is a high 2EP. (Chronostasis costs 1EP and Teleport costs 3EP on normal)

3. Which magic power is most useful or most used

note this is just a best guess at this point as not very good at this part (Very good guess actually)

Most enemies have at least one weakness. In the Wildlands it is mainly Thunder and Fire and in the Dead Dunes it is mainly Aero. With the few exceptions.

Each of the element classes have a different power and different casting/activating speeds, as well as length of attack.

Sigh why is it when i want to find something i can't seem to find it. There is a list somewhere which explains that (rough memory here so might be slightly wrong)

As far as speed goes

1: Lightning, almost instantly

2: Fire

3: Aero

4: Blizzard

Where as overall raw damage is the opposite, as well as stagger gauge increase.

1: Blizzard

2: Aero

3: Fire

4: Lightning

NOW the other factor which actually makes most of the difference in what's best, is the length of the attack (how long it hit's the enemy fore, thus keeping and adding to the stagger gauge.

Both Fire and Blizzard are a instant one hit, all damage done in a second or 2

Next is Lightning which lasts a few seconds longer

Then finally Aero lasts the longest thus making it the better option for keeping the stagger gauge high whilst changing or whilst having to block.

(some might see where certain strategies for the two hardest characters comes from with this, and why Aerora is equipped to the schema with no magic strength.)

4. When to use overclock or other EP abilities

- Overclock is most useful when you stagger an enemy, cost 1EP. (Costs 2EP on Normal)

Plus i think you should mention Arise which you can use to bring yourself back to life in a battle no matter how much EP you have, as it refills your health bar with as much HP as you use EP relevant to the amount of EP in relation to the cost.

Ok example. Arise costs 3EP on normal. If i have 1EP and use Arise i get 1/3 of my HP back.

This is useful as a last resort, but Phoenix Down's or Wings are better than wasting precious EP on Normal and especially Hard.

Same about Curaga, the 2EP (normal) cost is not worth it in battle (maybe before a big enemy you know will replenish your EP) where a item will suffice.

Also Esunada might look tempting at 1EP, but a Mega Remedy will do the same whilst adding Veil, or a Nektar of the Gods (Omega symbol), which also heals you a bit, whilst adding Bravery, Faith and Regen (must do side quest for Nektar of the Gods to be unlocked)

Quake and Decoy i have been told are useful in certain situations, but have yet to find a use for them or need to use them.

Quake 2EP (normal) Is a fixed 1 hit attack, that does 9,999 damage, cut value of 55, if possible has a chance to launch the enemy and more importantly adds a 1000 to the stagger gauge. Have been told, and have read, that it was useful against a certain enemy in the desert to stagger or to avoid certain attacks.

Decoy 1EP summons a Mog doll which draws the enemy/s attention. I have been told it is useful to use to maneuver to enemies blind spots for extra damage, or to avoid a series of strong attacks like the Chocobo Eater or it's brother the Earth Eater whilst also Evading to the side.

Also the Army of One should be looked at as it has very unique set of properties, and can sometimes be Very usefull in boss battles.

Army of One is an ability that you can only use during Overclock for an extra 1EP

Army of One has 4 Phases and cycles through your Schemata order downwards (red-yellow-blue-red-yellow etc)

The first phase it hits the enemy with 4 physical and 4 magical attacks of the current Schema your using

Then it switches Schema and hits with 8 physical and 8 magical attcks

Then swiches again and hits with 12 physical and 12 magical and a launcher (if possible)

Then finally back on the Original Schemata you started on it does a physical finisher.

Each attack in stage 1-3 does 0.5 damage of the respected physical and magical stats, whilst the Final stage finisher does 20.0 times the physical power. PLUS 10% of the inflicted damage during stages 1-3 is converted into HP for Lightning.

By using Army of One it altomatically ends the Overclock stage, so like the previouse two titles it's a kinda last hit before an enemy recovers from stagering or to hit them before there stagger guage runs out.

I personally used this against a certain enemy in the desert just before my Overclock ran out whilst doing the Artemis Arrow trick of Overclocking. Though i did have a lot of EP restoring items.

5. Synthesis Basics Question

I don't mind if you post it here or leave it a link. Doesn't look that well planed out now that i take another look at it.

Though you should deffernetly add to ALWAYS do the tutorials for ability crafting, as it gives you free abilities to do the tutorial synthesising and leveling up.

Plus I'd also mention that enemies level up after day 7 and 10, BUT this also means the abilities that they drop also level up, so DON'T over farm enemies too early otherwise the opertunity to farm upgraded versions with better Auto-Abilities or just upgraded abilities to make leveling them up will be lost.

6. Which quests and what order and what to avoid

Canvas of Prayer can be left to the end in most part as they are easy and the day does not make it more difficult. As they do not provide time extention. also you will be able to do many of these just by playing the game and reading the wall post (Chocobo Girl near monorail)

Personally i would change this to "check the boards as you pass them and compleate what you can then and there, whilst paying attention to what they want, but don't go out of your way to farm monster items early on in the game" as most of the time i go/went to the boards each day i compleated a lot of quests, and the stats boosts (although small in each incident) all add up and a few extra HP or Strenght is never a bad thing. The only ones that really make you go out of your way are the flower/mushroom collection ones in the Wildands and lizard tailes in the Dead Dunes, though most are for defeating X monster a number of times, or finding certain lost item. Also to check the notice board after compleating a(a few) quest(s) as certain quests are only available after you have compleated a certain one. I personally have gone to the Wildlands board one day and compleated 8/9 quests right there, rechecked and compleated another 6, rechecked and compleated another 5/6 and rechecked and compleated another 3-4, leaving me with three to comleate , which where just the items you have to ask people to make, and the greens which hadn't grown yet.

The stat's boost are a nice improvement, especially when you find yourself compleating them like my example above. Plus the recovery items (mostly Ether) are quite useful to save up for boss battles.

- you need to do more then 34 side quests (like 40+ is best) and the quicker you do them the better, as these extend the time. There is a bonus day if you do enough Side Quests.

Ok this is WRONG.

The amount of Side Quests doesn't matter. It's the ratings.

One star Side mission results in 0.02

Two star Side mission results in 0.04

Three star Side mission results in 0.08

You need a total of 1.0 for the 14th day(13th in game day) to activate. This only get's measured on the end of the 12th day.

But to put peoples minds at reast, you can compleat all bar 2 Side quests during your initial playthrough, and all bar 1 in any other playthrough.

There is a total possibility of 20 quests for 0.66/0.70 in just Luxerion alone. 0.62/0.66 of which are unmissable/failable. And 2 Side quests are only available on day 1 (opening day of the game) for 0.06.

There is a total possibility of 16 quests for 0.78 in Yusnaan. 0.62 of which are unmissable/failable. And 2 Side quests are specifically only available during 2-2, for 0.06.

There is a total possibility of 22 quests for 0.90 in Wildlands. all of which are unmissable/failable. Nearly all of these can be found from the 5 villages + Mog home. With 3 being part of the main quest(s) in the area. Most are just pick up X amount of flowers/mushrooms in the local area, so pick these up whenever you see them whilst trvelling and you should be fine.

There is a total possibility of 8 quests for 0.40 in the Dead Dunes. 0.32/0.24 of which are unmissable/failable, with 0.08 accounting for the monster of the desert (the hardest creature in the game) and one of the missable quests not being able to be completed until a NG+. And one quest being mandatory for 0.04 during the Main quest for this area.

LOL ran out of space.

7. What is the best weapon

- chaos blade is very good . Quick stagger 75% magic/strength +600 (you got it right)

- Gagnrad. 500 str/mag. Stagger power -90 , ATB speed +25, -50% str. This is a mission bonus for side quest in Wildlands available after completing Main quest 3. Very useful in the right set up. This and the one above are usually featured in most boss battle set up's on the internet.

- shard blade looks cool and has some nice auto abilities , health regen for 15 sec. +500 str. +500 mag. (chance drop by Reaver IF you perfect block it's transformed sword strike)

Personally the upgraded version of this for defeating the Last One Reaver is better;

Flesh Render, same look but purple, health regen for 15 sec. +900 str. +900 mag.

A little incentive to extinct the Reaver's.

There are a few more people go on about, which i think needs a bit of a mention;

Bonecracker:- Deprotect Chaser (makes physical attacks and Ruin more effective & powerful against enemies affected by de- buffs to defence) +550 str. +550 mag. Dropped by Last One Skeleton, Destroying all skeletons is a side quest in the Dead Dunes, so a bonus really.

Sickle of the Faithful:- Protect Thief (By using heavy Slash on an enemy with defence Buffs, will steal them for you self) +260 str. +260 mag +500HP. Dropped by Etro's followers mainly based in the area of the final battle of Main quest 1.

Or the Battleaxe of the Believer:- Brave Thief (By using heavy Slash on an enemy with offence Buffs, will steal them for you self) Stagger Power +12% +260 str. +260 mag. Found in treasure sphere in area at the end of Main Quest 1 before final Boss fight.

Although there stats aren't that impressive, the auto abilities are very useful, and you might consider adding this weapon to a de-buff Schemata as Str and mag don't really affect De-buffs that much. Adding the Accessory 'Warrior Hunter's Mask' (Last One Triffid), 'Mage Hunter's Mask' (Last One Schodinger) or 'Bandit Scarf' (Last One Desert Sahagin) adds the Auto-Ability 'Brave Thief', or the Accessory ' Sapping Hood' (Last One Earth Eater) or 'Crippiling Hood' (Last One Chocobo Eater) adds 'Protect Thief'.

By combining these weapons and accessories you can take all of an enemies Buff's and then use a stronger Schemata to inflict damage or guard against with the stolen Buffs.

Also to note is that all Spears have the Auto-Ability of 'Jump' which replaces 'Beat Down's final into a Jump final which has the chance to knock enemies over and has a high stagger increase. The Boss at the end of Main Quest 1 drops a Spear, so i'd suggest trying it out to see if you like it or not.

8. What is the best Shields

Depends what you want it for.

Shields can either give you a good defence or improve your chances to defend against attacks when combined with a defence move such as 'Guard'. Raise your stats in HP, Magic or Strength, or more importantly, your ATB recovery speed.

If you're not really using a defence move on a Schemata you should look at shields that improve ATB recovery or improve stats.

If you have played FF13-2 then there is a decent shield for a class based solely on strength or magic if you search your Rewards Barter Shop. It is the 'Goddess's Grace' which offers 100 Guard Defense +100 Str +100 Mag. Free and at the start of the game.

I posted this on PS side awhile back

Also here on XboxA > http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6226029

Or exact post #23 http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6229503&postcount=23

Some of which I read here or on the PS3 side

===

Side Quests give you 1 extra day. once you make it to the 13th day the 14th is a free one, automatic.

There is a formula for figuring out how many side quests you need to do. However it is only an approximate calculation,

From XboxA:

In order to get the 14th Day, you must have completed Enough side quests to equal the value of 1 in the games formula.

1 Star Quests = .02

2 Star Quests = .04

3 Star Quests = .08 (or 0.06)

Due to the formula being really complicated, Square hasn't shared the full details of it yet, but the numbers also depend on when the quests are done as well.

I did it with 34 SQ

My total is 1.24

0.24 *** 3 SQ

0.76 ** 19 SQ

0.24 * 12 SQ

==============

I did not get to day 14 , only day 13, unless day 14 comes after the FINAL final BOSS

I have yet to beat the god BOSS.

My ARK screen showed Day 13 final day (the one that flashes after your give the eradia to the tree)

I have seen posts online Day 14 final day

Edited by ecto69

I did not get to day 14 , only day 13, unless day 14 comes after the FINAL final BOSS

I have yet to beat the god BOSS.

My ARK screen showed Day 13 final day (the one that flashes after your give the eradia to the tree)

I have seen posts online Day 14 final day

The only thing i have heard of not activating the 14th day, even if you meet the requirements with side quests, is if you don't do all of the Main quests, as the EP that would fuel the 14th day is used instead for the day you haven't earned by not completing a Main quest.

The stats about calculations is direct from the official guide. Plus from online sources. There was a site that mentioned the least you needed to do, and exactly which ones they were (JAP though).

I am doing all of the side quests as i go along and most of my friends who have meet the required 1 in game formula, have had the 14th day unlock for them.

BUT if you have theoretically meet the requirements and didn't unlock it it is worth putting that.

Would be quite interested to work out why you DIDN'T unlock it.

Do you still have a save with what you did on your first play through and didn't unlock the 14th day or not?

BUT if you have theoretically meet the requirements and didn't unlock it it is worth putting that.

Would be quite interested to work out why you DIDN'T unlock it.

Do you still have a save with what you did on your first play through and didn't unlock the 14th day or not?

Yes I do have the save on my system ( I keep all saves and have already reached the 50 max allowed, moved them off to USB)

I will check my save file to see how the Main Quest were flagged.

I checked and save showed all main quests done and 34 Side Quests as shown with details posted earlier (I also posted screen shot of all the side quests with the star rating)

Will double check the math (spreadsheet) and make sure did it correctly.

Edited by ecto69

I had a 2 quick questions:

1) I had read one of the main bosses does't increase in power as time goes by since the boss is pretty strong already (boss 3 from the looks of this thread). So can i go do bosses 4 and 5 and then come back to 3 once I'm stronger? Or do the main story bosses have to be done sequentially?

2) This might go into spoiler territory but I'm confused as to what happens on the 13th/14th? day. I saw in other threads where people finish everyhting by day 10 or 11. So does that mean nothing happens until the last day, and that's when a true final boss emerges, or does a cutscene just happen and then the game ends? I'm just trying to figure out if after the 5 main bosses the game ends (stopping me from doing mor quests/prayers/etc.) or what the heck happens gameplay-wise.

Thanks.

I had a 2 quick questions:

1) I had read one of the main bosses does't increase in power as time goes by since the boss is pretty strong already (boss 3 from the looks of this thread). So can i go do bosses 4 and 5 and then come back to 3 once I'm stronger? Or do the main story bosses have to be done sequentially?

Thanks.

This is full open world no order required for main quests, mind you when you start 4-1 you can not do 4-3 until 4-2 is done (but that is all part of the same mission)

You can do the bosses any way you want 4,3,2,1 : 1,4,3,2 what ever order you need.

And if you need to grind some more make sure you at least battle the boss once otherwise the shortcut may not be available. Some quests have different shortcut method back.

It ends on either 13 or 14th day. if you do all prior to that you just grind or explore what ever or even sleep at an INN for few days. (500gil iirc) Like I did never made it to 14th however so no idea what went wrong. only a game...

Edited by ecto69

2) This might go into spoiler territory but I'm confused as to what happens on the 13th/14th? day. I saw in other threads where people finish everyhting by day 10 or 11. So does that mean nothing happens until the last day, and that's when a true final boss emerges, or does a cutscene just happen and then the game ends? I'm just trying to figure out if after the 5 main bosses the game ends (stopping me from doing mor quests/prayers/etc.) or what the heck happens gameplay-wise.

Thanks.

If you finish everything before you get to the final days then you can still carry on playing but you'd have nothing to do so it would probably be best to sleep away the days. On the 13th day, you will be told about the ultimate lair while in the ark and you can teleport straight there. On the 14th day, you can't do any free roaming, so when you leave the ark, you can only continue the story.

Is it possible that you need to do side quests as quickly as possible after receiving them? Some of mine were late game.

Also does the fact that I slept for two days just to get to my last day have any effect. Reason I did it was to try and determine a lowest value to get to final bonus day.

It is quite possible that the longer you leave active side quests unfinished for then the value of the points you get for them decreases. I just made sure to do them as soon as I started them, and accepted them as soon as I found them. I did complete all the side quests in the game apart from four, two in the Dead Dunes... Last One Standing and What Rough Beast Slouches, I failed Free Will in Yusnaan because I forgot to return the following day, and also failed The Avid Reader in Luxerion because I read the journal but by doing so got To Save the Sinless instead, and I got Day 14 no problems.

And no I don't think that sleeping away the last two days affects anything.

Edited by The Big LT

On Day 4 for my Desert Dune setup that works good for Earth Eaters and the rest.

May not work for BOSS

Setup for Main Quest 4

[spoiler=edc]

1 thru 3 tweaked after starting the main quest

[spoiler=qfl]

Once the Friend "Oerba Yun Fang " joins your party

The Hat makes the outfit even if not color matched to boots. (there is a color matched hat which I got later)

1. Only fully useful after stagger. I have strong weapon but this one looks cool :-)

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/ecto9/ffxiii/DSCF0425.jpg

2. Best one

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/ecto9/ffxiii/DSCF0426.jpg

3. Used to Guard against heavy attacks

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/ecto9/ffxiii/DSCF0427.jpg

Setup when you arrive at Desert Dunes

When I arrived at Desert Dunes, only Lightning.

This may not be the best but worked for me.

[spoiler=6ac]

4. Only fully useful after stagger. I have strong weapon but this one looks cool :-)

This outfit can be purchased from the merchant near the red cactar

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/ecto9/ffxiii/DSCF0438.jpg

5. Best one

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/ecto9/ffxiii/DSCF0439.jpg

6. Used to Guard against heavy attacks

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/ecto9/ffxiii/DSCF0440.jpg

Notes:

Beat Down did not seem to be any good

Changed two Schema to Evade based on others suggestions.

Edited by ecto69

It is quite possible that the longer you leave active side quests unfinished for then the value of the points you get for them decreases. I just made sure to do them as soon as I started them, and accepted them as soon as I found them. I did complete all the side quests in the game apart from four, two in the Dead Dunes... Last One Standing and What Rough Beast Slouches, I failed Free Will in Yusnaan because I forgot to return the following day, and also failed The Avid Reader in Luxerion because I read the journal but by doing so got To Save the Sinless instead, and I got Day 14 no problems.

Nah, lingering side quests don't get devalued in way of strength/magic rewards regardless how long you take to complete them. The only time quest rewards are lessened is if you complete them a second time (such as in a NG+.) This applies to main quests as well, though I'm not too sure about Canvas of Prayers as their rewards weren't too substantial to begin with.

The Last One Standing side quest is impossible to complete on the first playthough because it requires you to kill the Last Ones exclusive to the final day that makes you unable to leave Luxurion (hence you can't turn it in) but upon starting a NG+ you can turn in the quest to Zanford (as the game remembers the Last Ones you eliminated in the previous playthrough.) <-- holy shit that's a long sentence.

As for the other three.. yep, you can't complete both The Avid Reader and To Save the Sinless, but you did good in completing the latter as it gives boosted rewards. And upon starting Free Will, mhm you have to come the next to progress it, but after that you're free to let it sit as long as you feel like.

Edited by Hishoa

Nah, lingering side quests don't get devalued in way of strength/magic rewards regardless how long you take to complete them. The only time quest rewards are lessened is if you complete them a second time (such as in a NG+.) This applies to main quests as well, though I'm not too sure about Canvas of Prayers as their rewards weren't too substantial to begin with.

The Last One Standing side quest is impossible to complete on the first playthough because it requires you to kill the Last Ones exclusive to the final day that makes you unable to leave Luxurion (hence you can't turn it in) but upon starting a NG+ you can turn in the quest to Zanford (as the game remembers the Last Ones you eliminated in the previous playthrough.) <-- holy shit that's a long sentence.

As for the other three.. yep, you can't complete both The Avid Reader and To Save the Sinless, but you did good in completing the latter as it gives boosted rewards. And upon starting Free Will, mhm you have to come the next to progress it, but after that you're free to let it sit as long as you feel like.

By the reward of points value I meant the amount of points you get awarded that count towards the total needed to get the extra day (as discussed earlier in this thread), not the amount of HP, etc. There are several factors that change the amount of points you get but no one seems clear on what these factors are.

All of the other things you mentioned I was perfectly aware of because I have the guide. But thanks for taking the time to mention them anyway. :)

Just to make it clear the above has been discussion on the Time Extention value you receive for each Side Quest

1 star quests value 0.02

2 star quests value 0.04

3 star quests value 0.08 (0r 0.06)

This are based on the official guide book however they may have other variables.

And you then add up all Side Quests and multiple by the star rating.

Total needs to be 1 or more (however in my case 1.24 was not enough)

You may need a 2.0+ or do quests quicker to get more value.

Only SE has the exact formula used for this calculation.

By the reward of points value I meant the amount of points you get awarded that count towards the total needed to get the extra day (as discussed earlier in this thread), not the amount of HP, etc. There are several factors that change the amount of points you get but no one seems clear on what these factors are.

All of the other things you mentioned I was perfectly aware of because I have the guide. But thanks for taking the time to mention them anyway. :)

Ahh, okay. Sorry then, I misunderstood you. :( But yeah, even so I don't believe they're lessened at all as time dwindles by. If they were I'm sure the guidebook would've explained as much instead of giving us an approximate value to each of the side-quest difficulties (e.g. .02, .04, .08, etc. etc.) Haven't read too much into the book regarding such though, so I may be incorrect. :confused:

14. Side Quests (checklist)

[spoiler=1df]

Luxerion Quests

[ ] A Rose by Any Other Name

[ ] Born from Chaos

[ ] Buried Passion

[ ] Dying Wish

[ ] Faster Than Lightning

[ ] Get the Girl

[ ] Like Clockwork

[ ] Soul Seeds

[ ] Stuck in a Gem

[ ] Suspicious Spheres

[ ] The Angel's Tears

[ ] The Avid Reader

[ ] The Girl Who Cried Wolf

[ ] The Saint's Stone

[ ] The Things She's Lost

[ ] To Save The Sinless

[ ] Treasured Ball

[ ] Voices From the Grave

[ ] Where Are You, Holmes?

[ ] Whither Faith

Yusnaan Quests

[ ] A Testing Proposition

[ ] Adoring Adornments

[ ] Adoring Candice

[ ] Death Game

[ ] Death Safari

[ ] Family Food

[ ] Fireworks for a Steal

[ ] Fireworks in a Bottle

[ ] Free Will

[ ] Friends Forever

[ ] Last Date

[ ] Play It For Me

[ ] Songless Diva

[ ] Stolen Things

[ ] Tanbam's Taboo

[ ] The Fighting Actress

Wildlands Quests

[ ] A Father's Request

[ ] A Final Cure

[ ] A Taste of the Past

[ ] Chocobo Cheer

[ ] Dog, Doctor, and Assistant

[ ] Fuzzy Search

[ ] Killing Time

[ ] Land of our Forebears

[ ] Matchmaker

[ ] Mercy of a Goddess

[ ] Mother and Daughter

[ ] Omega Point

[ ] Peace and Quiet, Kupo

[ ] Round 'Em Up

[ ] Saving an Angel

[ ] The Grail of Valhalla

[ ] The Hunter's Challenge

[ ] The Old Man and the Field

[ ] The Right Stuff

[ ] The Secret Lives of Sheep

[ ] To Live In Chaos

[ ] Where Are You, Moogie?

Desert Dunes

[ ] Adonis's Audition

[ ] His Wife's Dream

[ ] Last One Standing

[ ] Old Rivals

[ ] Skeletons in the Closet

[ ] The Life of a Machine

[ ] Tool of the Trade

[ ] What Rough Beast Slouches

15. Bonus FAQ entry (not my info just sharing)

How many monsters to extinct the species.

120 max for the small ones

60 for the medium

30 for the largest

[spoiler=lm2]

Listed sorted Alphabetically

Arcangeli = 30 (Final Day only)

Aster Protoflorian = 30

Cactuar = 30

Chimera = 15 (Final Day only)

Chocobo eater = 30

Cyclops = 30

Desert Sahagin = 80

Dreadnought = 30

Dryad = 100

Earth Eater = 30

Ectopudding = 60

Gaunt = 60

Goblin = 90

Goblot = 80

Gorgonopsid = 80

Gremlin = 120

Gurangatch = 30

Hanuman or Vali = 100

Hoplite = 80

Meonekton = 65535

Miniflan = 100

Niblet = 120

Rafflesia = 100

Reaver = 30

Schrodinger = 60

Skata'ne = 60

Skeleton = 60

Sugriva or Neela, or Wendigo = 30 (Final Day only)

Triffid = 80

Zaltys = 30

Zomok = 30

16. Final Day Purchase list

Garb:

Nightmare 200,000 Gil (cause it looks cool and has cool features)

Morgenstern 360,000 Gil

Unless you have

Demon Knife 220,000 Gil Day 10

Asteria's Staff 450,000 Gil

Unless you have this one

Necromancer's Cane 220,000 Gil Day 10

If on HARD mode and have lots of COIN GIL

Philosopher's Rod 800,000 Gil Hard

Heaven's Cloud 800,000 Gil Hard

Lilitu 200,000 Gil Hard

Edited by ecto69

Just a small note on part 13.

The final day enemies seem to have a limit of how many spawn before a certain point, because of fixed events. So you can say farm two of them in the first part of the lair, but then they stop spawning, if you then continue you will find that the last one is a fixed fight with that enemy.

• 3 weeks later...

Started my NG+ on Hard mode and working out best schemata for various battles.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/ecto9/ffxiii/1.jpg

The shades help ;)

Oh and the pink weapon

Difficulty Level : Hard

TIP#1 : Make sure you have at least one Mediguard Schema to gain HP during ATB recharging or other breaks in battle. NOTE: HP does not restore between battles.

TIP#2 : Activate Outerworld, and with at least one recovery slot purchase turbo ether to help refill EP. ie If Recovery slots full, when you find the NPC quickly use the ether to fill EP and then purchase it ASAP

TIP#3 : To restore HP without using recovery item or EP purchase a food item from a restaurant or grocery store, there are 3 levels of increase. Cheapest is 170gil gives about 1/3 back in HP. Cheaper then using recovery items.

TIP#4 : Weapon Upgrading, decide which one you want to max the strength or magic on and perform upgrade. Once you get a second version of same weapon upgrade the opposite Magic/Strength, this way you have a weapon for each of two possible Schemata's.

TIP#5 : This kinda applies more to NG++ then NG+ (depends on how strong Light is) Have at least one weak weapon to use if farming for abilities where you need to stagger or what ever the enemy several times before killing it. (ie getting Shard Blade need to stagger 3 times, hard to do if uber weapon one hit kills LOL )

Edited by ecto69

• 4 weeks later...

Please note this list is not complete

Will try and update if time permits

[spoiler=ul1]

Monsters in the Lair

TIP1: prior to end of battle, if you have spare EP use it for Curaga, as in most battles you net enough EP ie 5+.

TIP2: Save prior to each battle, if you fail and need to retry, exit the reload to avoid time lapsing.

WARNING May Contain some errors

On Easy Mode this is what you get for each monster extincted.

• Gaunt Ω
    4.5 EP
    7200 GIL
    Deshell Lv. 4
    Gold Mailstone 5
    Stormward bangle drop resist wind 25%
  • Dreadnought Ω
    16 EP. Try to heal before battle ends
    58800 GIL
    Heat Blitz Lv4
    Platinum Mailstones 10?
    Flameward bangle drop resist fire 25%
  • Gorgonospid Ω
    3.5 EP
    7200 GIL
    Heavy Slash Lv4
    Silver Mailstones 5
    Early blooming Corsage Initial ATB +50%
  • Gurangatch Ω
    16 EP
    58800 GIL
    heavy slash Lv4^
    Platinum Mailstones
    Toasty Shawl ATB recovery +5 elemental chaser
  • Ectopudding Ω
    5 EP
    10800 GIL
    Fira Lv4
    Silver Mailstones 5
    Tenacious ring critical barrier
  • Aster Protoflorian Ω
    16 EP
    58800 GIL
    Flamesparka Lv4
    Platinum Mailstones 5
    Sparkward bangle resist lighting damage 25%
  • Schrodinger Ω
    4.5 EP
    7200 GIL
    Thundaga Lv 4
    Silver Mailstones 5
    Mage Hunter's Mask magic +15% Brave. Thief
  • Goblin Ω
    1.2 EP
    3600 GIL
    Steelguard Lv4^
    Bronze Mailstones 5
    Wild crest strength +10% max HP +10%
  • Meonekton Ω
    2.6 EP
    50400 GIL
    Ruin Lv4
    Gold Mailstones 5
    Lucy dice chance reprieve
  • Desert Sahagin Ω
    5 EP
    7200 GIL
    Imperil Lv4^
    Silver Mailstones 5
    Bandit scarf ATB recovery +10 brave thief
  • Earth Eater Ω
    16 EP
    58800 GIL
    Debravega Lv4^
    Platinum Mailstones 5
    Sapping hood resist physical damage 15% protect thief
  • Skata'ne Ω
    4.5 EP
    10800 GILi
    Punt Lv4
    Silver Mailstones 5
    Enlister's Gloves hand to hand
  • Chocobo Eater Ω
    16 EP
    58800 GIL
    Magnet Lv4^
    Platinum Mailstones 5
    Crippling hood resist magic damage +15% protect thief

Check list to keep track of things

[spoiler=cl2]

Record game time for each monster to keep track of time remaining

Record Save slot in case you want to revert to a prior level.

[ ] 1. Hoplite Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____

[ ] 2. Niblet Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____

[ ] 3. Zaltys Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____

[ ] 4. Gaunt Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____

[ ] 5. Gremlin Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____

[ ] 6. Dreadnought Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____

[ ] 7. Gorgonopsid Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____

[ ] 8. Goblot Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____

[ ] 9. Gurangatch Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____

[ ] 10. Ectopudding Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____

[ ] 11. Miniflan Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____

[ ] 12. Aster Protoflorian Ω TIME: _______ SAVE# ____