Thought/Question of the day: Black Ops edition

Hamburgerous

This is a thread we have over in the MW2 forums and it's saved us a lot of clutter in the short time we've had it. I thought it might be a good idea to introduce it here early so we can save a bunch of weak but relevant threads being created.

Anyway, it seems to me we get a lot of new threads on here that while new and unique don't really merit a whole thread. So if you have anything to say, a fact you've learned, a new tactic you've seen or something that's interesting but doesn't really deserve its own thread then post it here.

It's not a bitching thread, but if something annoys you you can post it here. It's not a flaming thread, it's not for looking for partners for stats boosting or challenges. It's for any thoughts or questions about the game/community or anything related to the game/community as you have them.

But please, someone get us going . . .

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice work starting this up in the BO's forum. This thread really saved alot of clutter over in MW2. This is great for eliminating all those threads that only get 3 or 4 replies and then disappear into the deep dark abyss of the necro-able threads.

Thought of the day: I have been hearing a ton about BO's multiplayer along with WaW. However i have not heard to much about the campaign. I never played WaW (not familiar with treyarch), what can i expect from the campaign as far as entertainment, difficulty, and storyline. As much as i love MP i dont want to have to suffer through a campaign.

I was wondering when you was going to create this but I didn't want to steal the honors.

Thanks for starting this up already, this will save a lot of clutter.

Im not familiar with Treyarch, the first cod game ive played was MW2. Is it pretty much the same as MW2? Like three perks and three killstreak rewards? Or is it completely different?

Basically that's correct, go here for a lot of videos about it.

Something I can't figure out is how the sniper rifles are going to be kept balanced. Treyarch are making the weapons less powerful to make the combat less about who saw who first and killing them in a fraction of a second. I personally applaud this but I can't figure out how the sniper rifles are going to fit in.

A Sniper rifle head shot should always be a kill, but there are people who can get head shots with almost every shot. I'm not a great sniper but more than half of my shots are to the head. People like me and better will benefit more if the sniper rifles are kept able to one shot kill to the head. I suspect they'll remove the ability to kill with chest and stomach shots to keep it in line, but it'll still allow people with decent accuracy to dominate. Especially since other weapons are nerfed and they are less able to counter snipers from range. Things like the RPD, SCAR-H and even the Rafficas could effectively counter snipers but I just don't see the new weaker weapons being as effective.

Perhaps they'll change the sight lines on the maps so there is less opportunity for "classic" sniping so they'll be disadvantaged through circumstance rather than through power. Given they've tried to clamp down on quick scoping this would mean snipers would have much more limited options and become less versatile.

Maybe there will be maps that are obviously for snipers and terrible for run and gun (Like Wasteland, if it didn't have the bunker) and maps that are the exact opposite. Just looking at the maps in the videos it's difficult to see whether or not this is the case. I have faith in the developers to find a decent balance, but I don't really know how they're going to do it. But it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

I'm interested to see how they manage the Attack Dogs this time.

In WaW they were totally ridiculous, able to follow you no matter where you go and bite you through walls. Even direct shots to their heads repeatedly wouldn't usually kill them.

I just hope despite the dogs being an 11 killstreak that they are better managed this time around.

What do you guys think of quickscopers/noscopers in Black Ops? Do you think there will be any or have Treyarch balanced it so its no more quickscopers? I would love that, because quickscopers and noscopers in MW2 are so freaking fail, you shouldn't be able to jump around with an Intervention or Barret like it was an Assault rifle of some kind, that's not was sniping is all about. It's just dumb. I hope they done something too prevent that from happening in BO.

Your opinions?

Quickscoping is fun and I hope it comes back, simple.

I dont care about quickscopers. I think it is an overrated tactic that most people arent good at. If the majority of people really owned with it then i would say get rid of it. Its rare for me to run into somebody who is really good with it.

I dont care about quickscopers. I think it is an overrated tactic that most people arent good at. If the majority of people really owned with it then i would say get rid of it. Its rare for me to run into somebody who is really good with it.

Not trying to toot my own horn or be big headed but you should play with my clan sometime :)

Thought of the day: I have been hearing a ton about BO's multiplayer along with WaW. However i have not heard to much about the campaign. I never played WaW (not familiar with treyarch), what can i expect from the campaign as far as entertainment, difficulty, and storyline. As much as i love MP i dont want to have to suffer through a campaign.

First of all, I think this is the first time the entirety of Treyarch's staff haven't been working on other games so their entire team is behind Black Ops and they've been split into 3 sub-teams which handle the single-player, multi-player and co-op independently so each element should be at a pretty decent level since they've optimised their staff as such.

The campaign of WaW, in my eyes, was brilliant. Sure once you went on Hardened and Veteran it became Grenades At War but they certainly put a lot more work into the single-player experience than IW did with MW1 and 2. Entertainment will be high. Difficulty probably won't be any different to previous CODs (even though MW2's Veteran was piss easy in comparison) and the story should be pretty good - it's set during the Cold War and you're part of an elite group of guys partaking in deniable operations... awesome. Also, Sgt. Reznov, the commanding officer of the Russians in the WaW campaign, returns as part of the Black Ops squad - has he defected during the post-WWII years? Or he is a double agent infiltrating the American military? Conspiracies ahoy!

I'd recommend picking WaW up to have a quick blast through the campaigns - the Russian one is epic. The Americans taking on Japan isn't so thrilling but still worth a bash. Also, they have Jack Bauer.

I dont :( I don't know why bad players do it, if they want practice then play Private Match. If they want to annoy us, well, then they've succeeded.

It simple as to why they do it. They are looking for the cool game winning kill cam for their youtube video, and there is nothing wrong with that. They just have to expect to lose. The other reason they use it is for an excuse. Every once in a while they will get a truly awesome kill and in the lobby will talk smack about how they pwned you. then you try and say yeah it was a cool kill but they went 5-18 and they got pwned. Then they use the excuse that they were quickscoping and you were using some noob class to win. If only they had their best class on they would have pwned you. I am sure we have all heard these conversations before.

sorry about this, part rant part thought and just seeing what other people think:

Im sorry but have Treyarch forgot about COD3. The biggest draw of that was that you could play splitscreen online. Well not in the ranked matches but public matches you could.

However in http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-6323-No-Co-Op-Campaign-for-Call-of-Duty--Black-Ops.html it says "It's not all doom and gloom though, as the EP did state that there will be two player split-screen multiplayer this year for the first time in the franchise's history. "

I know that COD3 was shit but its still a COD game created by them. /rant

Also makes me wonder whether you will have loads of "guests" in games so people can boost headshots and kills and your team will never win if you have a team of 6 players with 2 being guest who arent there?

Quickscoping is fun and I hope it comes back, simple.

You always sound like such a dickhead.

If you are using a single shot rifle, which isn't even a garanteed 1 hit kill, and I'm using any fully automatic gun - do you honestly think you'll come out on top? The fact is, it isn't even just a single shot rifle - it's got a bloody scope on it, making the aiming a great deal harder.

Quickscopers never have big games. They might boner all over themselves and think they had a good game because they pulled off a nice shot, but the fact is, if you're playing with a clan on team tactical and you die more than 7 or 8 times, then you had a shit game.

My guess is, you have a lot of shit games.

It simple as to why they do it. They are looking for the cool game winning kill cam for their youtube video, and there is nothing wrong with that. They just have to expect to lose. The other reason they use it is for an excuse. Every once in a while they will get a truly awesome kill and in the lobby will talk smack about how they pwned you. then you try and say yeah it was a cool kill but they went 5-18 and they got pwned. Then they use the excuse that they were quickscoping and you were using some noob class to win. If only they had their best class on they would have pwned you. I am sure we have all heard these conversations before.

I like you most of the time.

You always sound like such a dickhead.

If you are using a single shot rifle, which isn't even a garanteed 1 hit kill, and I'm using any fully automatic gun - do you honestly think you'll come out on top? The fact is, it isn't even just a single shot rifle - it's got a bloody scope on it, making the aiming a great deal harder.

Yes actually, seeing I go positive whilst quickscoping against average players. You've obviously never played with anybody good at quickscoping.

Yes actually, seeing I go positive whilst quickscoping against average players. You've obviously never played with anybody good at quickscoping.

You originally said the following:

Not trying to toot my own horn or be big headed but you should play with my clan sometime

Which, to me, suggests you think you're good at the game when quickscoping. Now you are stating that you 'go positive' against 'average' players - what's so impressive about that?

As I said before - if I am playing with Team Tactical with a decent group, and anyone dies more than 7 or 8 times - then they did badly.

Which leads me to my original conclusion. Quickscopers are bad at the game. Play a good (not even great) group of people and you will lose/go negative over and over again. I can assure you, I strongly welcome quickscopers into my lobbies. Not only do they look stupid, but they also provide a pretty easy free kill - much like a riot shield user. The thing I cannot abide, is the cocky attitude that normally accompanies a quickscoper. Like yours.

Now fuck off back to youtube.

You originally said the following:

Which, to me, suggests you think you're good at the game when quickscoping. Now you are stating that you 'go positive' against 'average' players - what's so impressive about that?

As I said before - if I am playing with Team Tactical with a decent group, and anyone dies more than 7 or 8 times - then they did badly.

Which leads me to my original conclusion. Quickscopers are bad at the game. Play a good (not even great) group of people and you will lose/go negative over and over again. I can assure you, I strongly welcome quickscopers into my lobbies. Not only do they look stupid, but they also provide a pretty easy free kill - much like a riot shield user. The thing I cannot abide, is the cocky attitude that normally accompanies a quickscoper. Like yours.

Now fuck off back to youtube.

What? I'm good at the game when I quickscope and I'm better when I play normally. I made £3000 from YT with my old account a few years ago, who are you to say I shouldn't try it again?

What? I'm good at the game when I quickscope and I'm better when I play normally. I made £3000 from YT with my old account a few years ago, who are you to say I shouldn't try it again?

alright lets just drop it. who cares and this isnt the purpose of this thread. Most of the people suck at quickscoping and i have run into a few really good ones. against the good ones i didnt do bad and they didnt bad either. I am a well above average player so maybe he can do well against a decent guy but doesnt own a great player. just like i didnt own a great quickscoper. Maybe iblessingi is one of the good quickscopers. also people have different defs of owning. I dont think going 20-10 is owning but to some people that is a great game.

You know what gets me? no matter how much you explain game mechanics to quick scopers, explain why the intervention is a shitty choice, explain that beyond anything above short/medium range IT IS JUST LUCK. They will just stand their with their fingers in their ears, call you a noob and refuse to listen to reason. Zealots at the feet of CheyTac, the lot of them.

Treyarch also said they want to address the quick scoping issue, so hopefully it won't be a talking point for much longer. Except for people whining that they broke the game by taking out a stupid play style. But there WILL be a replacement thing to do that people think looks cool, is retarded and becomes hugely popular. I don't know what it is, but there will be something.