What's the point of the knife?

Hent High

Excuse the pun.

So I understand how some people like to humiliate their enemy with a knife animation, but beyond that I don't understand its purpose when compared to just shooting the bastard. At least shooting him ranks your weapon towards a new unlock.

In BC2 you could level your knife up with each kill and get a sizable XP reward. You could also view each of your victims and find how many times you took their dog tags.

But here it simply shows the tag, most of which are ranks that you'll unlock through progression, how many times it was taken, and your most recent victim.

I just don't understand why I should knife somebody when I could shoot them.

Edited by Hent High

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quiet. I have used it to kill 5 guys in a row, next to each other. They never heard a thing.

Yeah but a suppressed weapon can do the same thing. Even if it's not suppressed, most enemies are too oblivious to notice the red dot on their microscopic minimap when their buddy drops.

i just use it to humiliate snipers that manage to see and kill me when im trying to be sneaky, other than that its just a cool, different feature that i suppose distinguishes the game a bit.

I am fine with knifing but I got get how it's not useful from the front of an enemy. When sneaking up behind him, every animation has to stabbing/slicing them in the throat. Wouldn't it be easier to just stab a guy in the throat from the front?

I spent a while tracking a sniper and I managed to get behind him and was going for the knife when he turned at the last second. I knifed anyway but it just took off some health and he no scoped me and I died. I don't get how you can't just stab the guy in the throat anyway.

I was referring to the fact that suppressed weapon fire doesn't show up on the minimap as a red dot then you're close.

i think up close even if people dont hear the gun, they could see the bullets or hear them hitting the floor, the knife is the most silent way of killing someone and is essentially infinite, no point in wasting bullets is there, we are in a recession.

Ive only had 2 "assasinations" so far myself, and apart from that i've had 2 knife kills from the front.

One on metro, I ran up to a pair of guys hiding by the turnstiles at the 3rd set of Mcoms on rush, had run out of ammo so i went for a knife kill and swiped like a madman at the pair of them while they were backing up and failing to shoot me point blank :biglaugh Got killed after 4 swipes and 1 kill.

The only other time after that ive got a knife kill to the face is when i'd shot a load of health out of a guy and he went and hid, ran round the corner to see him hiding and swiped the last chunk off.

I only use it for stealth really when the opportunity presents itself, otherwise Id rather shoot people.

It's the stealthiest way to kill a guy, even compared to a suppressed weapon; it also keeps the enemy from running. If you don't have a suppressor then it's an even better tool.

You can also gain service stars with it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to aim for those considering the kill requirements.

Personally I like assassinating somebody that hasn't seen me just because there's the odd chance that you might give 'em a scare. XP