water in downpour (spoilers)

so, what do you guys think the water represents in Downpour? It's obviously related to Murphy's son drowning, but is that all? The game seems to stress the importance of the water and the rain so much (its even the trigger for the otherworld shifts). And what did the rain have to do with it for that matter? (why does it make enemies come out and become stronger?) is it a reference to the prison showers? does murphy have a fear of water?

I'd like to hear some ideas from ya'll, cuz i think the water/rain has a deeper meaning to the game and murphy (the game's called downpour after all)

btw, i have beaten the game, so feel free to discuss how the endings could play into this as well.

• 2 years later...

I personally think the water symbolism is twofold.

1: Still water

There are quite a few flooded areas (I mostly noticed it in the prison, with flooded corridors etc). IMO, this represents Charlie's drowning.

2: Rain / downpour

In the bit with Napier, Murphy turns on the prison showers and taps to mask any noise from the attack. I think this is where the rain comes into it. As for the rain bringing out the monsters...the incident with Napier did bring out the monster in Murphy after all... :)