Tips for the nubcakes on UV

Jet1337

Use the following weapons on the following monsters:

Berserk fist/Chainsaw: Pinky and Specter D4emons

Pistol: Zombies and Shotgunners

Shotgun: Commandos and Imps ( also Shotgunners if ammo permits )

Double-barrel Shotgun: Cacodemons, Arch Viles, Revanants, Mancubi, Arachnotrons, and Hell Knights

Chaingun: Lost Souls, Pain Elementals, Zombies, Shotgunners, Commandos, Imps, and Revanants at a safe distance

Rocket Launcher: Groups of all enemies except Lost Souls, Barons of Hell, Spider Masterminds, Mancubi, Arch Viles ( if you have enough ammo for your other weapons for the corresponding monsters, use them first )

Plasma Gun: Lost Souls, Pain Elementals, Cacodemons, Mancubi, Arachnotrons, Hell Knights, and Cyberdemons ( learn to circle-strafe on the Cyberdemons )

BFG-9000:: Spider Masterminds, Cyberdemons, and big-ass hordes of tougher enemies than the Zombie-class enemies and Imps

-Learn where the secret places in the levels are. That Megasphere will save your ass.

-SAVE OFTEN

-If a wall looks suspicious, activate it. Some walls require you to punch/chainsaw/shoot them to open.

-Listen for audio cues. Some levels have areas where moving in certain areas activate hidden doors.

-Use the D-pad to switch to your weapons faster.

Edited by Jet1337

IMO the best way to beat the game is start two games togheter and play before the level on easy, learn the road to pick up all keys you need or directly to the exit door then replay the level on UV RUSHING as if there were no tomorrow.

Double-barrel Shotgun: Arch Viles
That is a great idea... If you want to die a brutal, horrible, fiery death. Honestly, this list of weapons to use would be fine for "I'm Too Young to Die" when there aren't a shitload of enemies EVERYWHERE. But for Ultraviolence... No way. Get out your strongest gun and take out that Arch Vile NOW before he wipes you out and/or revives an entire room full of monsters that you just spent half your ammo killing. Go for the Rocket Launcher or Plasma Gun so you can get some distance (you'll need it to be able to take cover from its fire spell). Super Shotgun requires you to get in close for it to be effective, which means no place for you to hide. It also takes too long to reload and fire again, which gives him time to run around and make your life harder than it needs to be.

What you do is grab a Rocket Launcher or Plasma Gun, and shoot the SOB as much as possible. When he tries to attack, take cover quickly, and once you know his attack is over, get back out there and hammer him some more before he starts reviving dead monsters. If you fuck around with this guy using a Super Shotgun, he will end you.

Also, you forgot one of the most important tricks to UV (or Doom in general): monster infighting. If you can get them to fight each other instead of you, do it! And if they are fighting each other, leave them alone and let them do it. Don't interrupt, or they will turn their attention towards you again. Let them fight each other and you can fight the winners, who are also the losers because now they have less health than before. You'll save a buttload of ammo and health this way. And if it's a big crowd, you probably won't get them all to fight, so find a corner or something you can duck behind and wait for monsters who aren't infighting to come to you so you can pick them off without interrupting the infighting.

You have to know which monsters can fight each other, though. Example, you can make a group of shotgun dudes fight against each other, but not a group of Imps (they can't hurt each other). For specifics, read this: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Infighting

But with a mixed group of even low level enemies, infighting is your friend, especially in the ammo scarce Ultraviolence mode.

Edited by mjc0961

Super Shotgun/Shotgun while strafing (i.e. timing it so you can get a good blast and then moving out of the way of an incoming attack last second) is enough to take out most monsters with projectiles (esp. one on one) I find. But there are some monsters, particularly when encountered that you should use one of the heavier weapons for (i.e. Archville if out in the open and especially if they start reviving corpses, Pain Elemental once again esp. if out in the open).

Chaingun for Zombies ideally as although the shotgun can take them down safely in smaller groups, in large groups the chaingun keeps them occupied in their pain states. Also Revenants if need be and Pain Elementals if there is only one or two in order to prevent them spewing out Lost Souls.

Obviously you'd want to use your best weapons on the boss level characters (though on a source port I would take out at least the Cyberdemon with the Super Shotgun and strafing).

Archvile is the fastest mob in the game. And if he gets a few imps or humans up... it means more ammo to waste again. He is normally in a crowded room when you meet em. But if they are all alone. Sure I go supershotty. But that rarely happens. But as it did say in the Doom II manual "One of the worst of a bad lot. You can't think of enough rotten things to say about him. He's fast, hard to kill, casts spells, and resurrects dead monsters! At least these suckers are rare."

One thing I normally do In a crowded room "This does not work well when there are archvile's there. Is to run past em an get all the monsters in each others crossfire. Good way to get em to kill them self. And they always fire back.

This may sound stupid... But I was low on ammo one of the levels "can't remember what number atm" But I ran across loads of hell knights and barons of hell's... I did try to run past em as I did not have enough ammo at the time to make a road wide enough to run past. So I just ran half way in, ran back to cover. They hit each other. And started fighting amongst em self. enough to make a road wide enough at the end for me to run past to the exit. I even got a swarm of Arachnotron to kill a spiderdemon for me "tho I did use a few rockets on him. But they got the final blow to him"

I'll throw down some random tips myself.

What you do is grab a Rocket Launcher or Plasma Gun, and shoot the SOB as much as possible. When he tries to attack, take cover quickly, and once you know his attack is over, get back out there and hammer him some more before he starts reviving dead monsters. If you fuck around with this guy using a Super Shotgun, he will end you.

And just a fair warning, once the Archville starts its attack on you and even if you go into hiding, technically the attack is still in effect. This always gets me a few times... if you pop out too quickly chances are its still doing its attack animation from seeing you last time and it will hit you. Rarely do I allow these things to hit me and keep going, since it does so much damage. I definitely recommend this mindset... especially if you have no armor, if those beasts hit you and you've got a recent save ... might want to reload to savor that health.

Honestly I took out a few of them with the Super Shotgun, but that was usually in smaller rooms and when I knew there wasn't a lot of enemies around, and lots of cover.

For the most part though, yeah. These were my #1 enemies that I didn't fuck around with and usually busted out the Rocket Launcher or Plasma weapons immedietally and took the things down.

I feel the same way about Pain Elementals, especially on UV, because by spitting out more Lost Souls you're going to be spitting out more ammo. A tip on these guys is that if you hit them hard and with fast weapons (Chaingun takes awhile but works effectively, Plasma Gun, etc), you'll continue to stun it a bit and prevent it from hopefully spitting out a lot of Lost Souls. Revenants can be "stunned" a bit too if you keep hitting them, though usually if several of them popped out in a very small room I'd just bust out the Plasma Rifle since that took them down pretty fast. The tip on these guys is to keep your distance and have objects or places you can run "around" and behind to block their rockets. Though up close two well placed Super Shotgun attacks can murder them pretty quickly.

I never ever use the pistol.

At first this was hard for me as someone that just likes to shoot everything, including Pinkies, but if you're fighting a mob of just them then definitely just bust out the chainsaw to save a lot of ammo. I'd usually back myself up in a corner so they could only come at me one by one or couldn't surround me. Or use the fists if you've picked up a Berserk pack and are comfortable doing that.

And yes, infighting is amazing on UV! Mancubus are Imp/weaker enemies worst nightmare, haha. I always root for the Hell Knight's and Baron of Hell's, since they're usually very easy to take out themselves. As for Hell Knight's, three well placed Super Shotgun hits can take these guys down. As for Baron of Hell's it's usually 5-6, though I try and mix it up on these guys.

Honestly if you've got "Killing OCD" like I do and are decent at finding secrets (seemed a lot easier than the original games...), then yeah I'd say there's not a huge issue here if you like killing everything you come across instead of running by things. I don't think I ever felt "forced" to skip battles, though I do know at the end of some of the levels on the new episode I did run to the exit.

As mentioned in another thread, I believe my UV run was pretty damn easy because I ran through the game on Hurt Me Plenty beforehand. I'm not sure if I'd recommend the easiest difficulties for testing out levels though, with Hurt Me Plenty you'll get a good feel for the mobs and enemy setups, and the change won't be too drastic. Jumping between the easier settings and UV would probably be a bit chaotic.

Anyways, hope some of this helps others, I dunno. Last but not least I will give out a major tip and that's to use DIVERSITY with your weapons! I jokingly say this because it's probably more of an issue for myself as a player, but I often think I stick with the shotguns "too much". Often I'd find myself with an overload of Plasma or Rockets when those could have been used in earlier situations to make them better. But hey, maybe it's just my style and it seems to be working out ... haha. I just sometimes think my weapon balance is a little off. :p, or maybe most veterans stick with the shotguns most of the time? heh.

Edited by Xeogred

Thanks for all of the tips guys. I played the shit out of this game in high school in 1994 but havent played it since. I'm a noob all over again. UV has been kicking my ass. As mentioned above I always use the shotgun too, need to get in the habit of switching it up. Running past enemies doesnt work for me as I dont know where the hell I'm going. All of ths info should help tho, thanks.

Thanks for all of the tips guys. I played the shit out of this game in high school in 1994 but havent played it since. I'm a noob all over again. UV has been kicking my ass. As mentioned above I always use the shotgun too, need to get in the habit of switching it up. Running past enemies doesnt work for me as I dont know where the hell I'm going. All of ths info should help tho, thanks.

Haha, guess I'm not the only one.

Best FPS weapon(s) ever. :)

Infighting has saved my backside so many times in this game, it's essential to use. And yes, using the Super Shotty on the Arch Vile is a bad idea. I just get out rockets or Plasma and end him and then I worry about everyone else, although usually by the time I take out an Arch Vile in a group of enemies they are Infighting by the time I'm done so I just sit back and enjoy the show lol

And just a fair warning, once the Archville starts its attack on you and even if you go into hiding, technically the attack is still in effect. This always gets me a few times... if you pop out too quickly chances are its still doing its attack animation from seeing you last time and it will hit you. Rarely do I allow these things to hit me and keep going, since it does so much damage. I definitely recommend this mindset... especially if you have no armor, if those beasts hit you and you've got a recent save ... might want to reload to savor that health.
Yeah, I said that. "When he tries to attack, take cover quickly, and once you know his attack is over, get back out there and hammer him some more before he starts reviving dead monsters." ;) Although it's probably a good idea for everyone to read this: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Arch-vile Know thy enemy, and know how to slay that SOB.

And Super Shotguns are great against Revenants, Hell Knights, and Barons of Hell, if you have the room to maneuver and nobody else around taking pot-shots at you while you work. Especially Revenants, they like to run up and melee you as much as shooting rockets, so you can sort of trick them if you feel bold. Run up to them, they try to melee you, then you pull back and fire your Super Shotgun and head behind cover while it reloads. The Revenant will also come closer to you as he can't use rockets or melee when you're hiding, so let him get close to your cover, and do it again. Should be dead after two point blank shots.

Hell Knights and Barons are easy enough to dodge if you have space. Barons are just ammo sponges, though. :( If you can do anything else to soften them up, like blowing up barrels, getting them involved in infighting, or sending a few rockets their way, go for it.

And don't forget to save often on multiple slots. Not only is it good if you die, but you're a bit off and get hit too many times, you can reload and try again. I do that all the time, haha. I could have probably finished the new levels by now, but since I don't know what happens next, I find myself reloading in fights all the time to get through them using less ammo and keeping more health.

And Super Shotguns are great against Revenants, Hell Knights, and Barons of Hell, if you have the room to maneuver and nobody else around taking pot-shots at you while you work. Especially Revenants, they like to run up and melee you as much as shooting rockets, so you can sort of trick them if you feel bold. Run up to them, they try to melee you, then you pull back and fire your Super Shotgun and head behind cover while it reloads. The Revenant will also come closer to you as he can't use rockets or melee when you're hiding, so let him get close to your cover, and do it again. Should be dead after two point blank shots.

Hell Knights and Barons are easy enough to dodge if you have space. Barons are just ammo sponges, though. :( If you can do anything else to soften them up, like blowing up barrels, getting them involved in infighting, or sending a few rockets their way, go for it.

And don't forget to save often on multiple slots. Not only is it good if you die, but you're a bit off and get hit too many times, you can reload and try again. I do that all the time, haha. I could have probably finished the new levels by now, but since I don't know what happens next, I find myself reloading in fights all the time to get through them using less ammo and keeping more health.

Yeah, I noticed it's sometimes very easy to dodge Revenants rockets up close as well, since this often causes them to NOT follow you. Only problem here is it can get pretty risky in small area's, if the rockets hit a wall close by the splash damage can still get you. But yeah, two nice shots and they're down! Glad these guys were pretty weak, lol.

Yeah MULTIPLE SAVE SLOTS is highly recommended. I'd only ever use two myself, I'd save at the beginning of each level and then use one as I moved through the level. I'd often save after cleaning out big rooms or before entering suspicious area's where you know you'll get some action, heh.

Hah, don't see the need to mention the pistol or the shotgun as I never use them. I literally never use the shotgun once I get the double barreled version :uzi:

Not really much else to add except echo what has already been said:

- Save often, save often, save often!

- Learn how to strafe-run

- Learn how to initiate infighting. Mancubi are especially useful for this

- Take down Arch Viles asap

- Double tap with the chaingun. The first two shots are always pinpoint accurate, so this is great for sniping enemies

- If you get right up to a Pain Elemental's face, it can't attack

- Learn which enemies have a high 'pain chance' - basically how easy it is for them to get stunned when you attack them. For example, Cacodemons can be shot at with the chaingun and they pretty much won't be able to fight back, wheras Barons and Hell Knights will

- When you get to the end of a level, go back and make sure that you've collected everything. It's always nice to start the next level with full health and ammo :)

- Don't be afraid to run away! You can make life a lot easier by running off and funneling the enemies towards you

Hell Knights and Barons of Hell aren't supposed to fight each other unless one of them hits a barrel. Very strange that you could get them to duke it out!

That might have been it then. There where a few barrels in there. But did not pay attention to it. I just ran in there and back to hide. Did not see much as I did stay out if the line of fire. Heard a lot of noise and ran back out again when there was an opening for me to run past.

That is a great idea... If you want to die a brutal, horrible, fiery death. Honestly, this list of weapons to use would be fine for "I'm Too Young to Die" when there aren't a shitload of enemies EVERYWHERE. But for Ultraviolence... No way.

LOL, then I must be a Doom god. Those weapons are what I use against the demons.

If there are a lot of enemies around an Arch Vile, then go ahead and use the RL.

You can actually chainsaw Cacodemons and they'll be rendered as harmless as Demons due to their high pain chance. No fireballs, no melee attacks. Good luck finding places you can take advantage of that in Doom 2, though. :p

I find even one on one (which is rare when fighting a cacodemon in Doom II) it's more trouble than it's worth because those Cacodemons tend to fire you on you unexpectedly. Once you get that first hit though they're screwed.

Speaking of Chainsaw's I almost never use that against Pinky Demons. Unfortunately there are some times where if you are not careful even with constant attack on them they can still manage to bite you (seems their "pain chance" isn't quite as high as you'd need for a perfect attack on them). I'd rather stick to the Berserk fist. Usually one or two shots per Demon and leaves you exposed for a lesser amount of time than the Chainsaw and a lot safer since a quick hit and step back is pretty much guranteed to keep you safe too...

LOL, then I must be a Doom god. Those weapons are what I use against the demons.

If there are a lot of enemies around an Arch Vile, then go ahead and use the RL.

Agreed. Lots of enemies near the Archvile, use an RL or maybe a plasma gun. If there's low enemies or even 1 on 1, use the super shotty and cover. Definitely not that hard, I'm not amazing at this game and I can do it. Just wait for the crackling fire sound to stop before popping back out. Basically strafing and super shotty for lots of enemies, all the ones listed in the OP, works great.

As others have said, infighting is great. *spoilers I guess* Getting the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind to fight in 'Gotcha!' is awesome :)*end spoilers*

If you get really lost don't be afraid to use a guide just for one thing. I searched Citadel up and down and couldn't find anything, turns out I had to walk near a certain door, turn around and an area had opened momentarily (guess that falls under 'listen carefully', though :p).

Also in some levels, running past enemies is an option. I ran past half of 'Hell Mountain', made things a fair bit easier.

Edited by RadiantViper

:uzi:My Killing Techniques

:)

Fist

Demon / Spectre

Chainsaw

Demon / Spectre

Pistol

Former Humans / Former Human Sergeant / Imp

Shotgun

Former Human Sergeant / Former Commando / Imp

Combat Shotgun

Demon / Spectre / Lost Soul / Pain Elemental / Cacodemon / Hell Knight / Baron of Hell / Revenant / Mancubus / Archvile

Chaingun

Archnotron / Spider Mastermind / Cyberdemon

Rocket Launcher

Use For Fun

Plasma Rifle

Use For Fun

BFG 9000

Use For Fun