Battle Commander-Worst Game Mode Ever?

Bounce Tacticz

How do you feel about Battle Commander?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Battle Commander?

• I love Battle Commander!
    • It's ok.
    • I hate it!
    • It doesn't matter.

So I've been grinding out Battle Commander to get my 100 wins. When I first played it to get my 5 star, it was actually fun. Now, it's full of campers and vehicle abusers. It's fun for me to shoot down drones and constantly blow up tanks, but it gets old getting shot in the back. Once I get those 100 wins, I'll never play this game mode again. What do you guys think of Battle Commander?

Whatever your vote may be, please give an explanation as to why you chose what you did.

Edited by Bounce Tacticz

I actually like it. Its something different from the norm. I just wish there where more modes then team deathmatch and ground control but thats for a different topic.

I really like the idea of Battle Commander, but once again, cheap players ruin things. I mean, I know they want their achievement and all, but I got mine running around the map with a silenced M4. Yea, it took some luck, but I felt great seeing that achievement pop. It wouldn't mean as much if I camped in a vehicle the entire game to get it.

All the camping just takes the fun out of this game mode for me. Maybe its just me, but I don't see camping as much in the other game modes.

Vehicular abuse is really the name of the game with Homefront. It's all about the firepower: if you can afford it, go with it! :)

I will admit, though, that the perks which the vehicles get from being star threats is a little insane - especially for the light and heavy tanks. But that's what makes them threats, and that's why they ought to be hunted down - not just by one bounty hunter, but by the whole damn team. Most enemy tanks I see don't live to see 3 stars because of who I get paired with ;)

As for campers - I hope you're utilizing your minimap, because the giant yellow circle which encompasses their position reveals more than you may think. Peer a little closer, and you can see their firing dot as they camp away. Then it's just a matter of capitalizing on that dot.

Vehicular abuse is really the name of the game with Homefront. It's all about the firepower: if you can afford it, go with it! :)

I will admit, though, that the perks which the vehicles get from being star threats is a little insane - especially for the light and heavy tanks. But that's what makes them threats, and that's why they ought to be hunted down - not just by one bounty hunter, but by the whole damn team. Most enemy tanks I see don't live to see 3 stars because of who I get paired with ;)

As for campers - I hope you're utilizing your minimap, because the giant yellow circle which encompasses their position reveals more than you may think. Peer a little closer, and you can see their firing dot as they camp away. Then it's just a matter of capitalizing on that dot.

I'm not letting anyone get an achievement if I'm in the game.lol I shoot down drones, Choppers, tanks, whatever.lol

But I'm not talking about the people who have stars, they're easy to spot. It's the guys who camp to get their stars that bother me.

• 1 month later...

Yep, killing tanks is a team sport! Cluster bomb and Emps.

The style of people's play in BC has changed since this first came out, but it depends on who you are playing with. Battle commander is why I bought the game, it's my favorite mode. I love Ground control, I could do without team death match. I'm not a K/d type of guy.

What bothers me about Battle Commander is simply how they marketed it. They claimed that some AI was in control of who became Hunters, which immediately makes you compare the Battle Commander to Left 4 Dead's Director.

However, I refuse to believe that the Battle Commander is anything other than random assignment, because it feels like most of my targets are vehicles when I don't have any classes with EMP grenades or rocket launchers, and most of the time my target is assigned just after I used all my BP on airstrikes or something, and even if it were before, I'm not using Cluster Bombs yet.

I like the mode. Hitting that 15 kill streak is more satisfying than getting something like a Nuke in CoD (plus it's more fair to the other players "I got 25 kills so now you don't get to play anymore," really?) and it's by no means anywhere as common. The mechanic of regaining all health and ammo with each threat level increase is pure genius, because it allows people like me who never use Grave Robber or Ammo Resupply to still use the mechanic as well as anybody else (another problem with kill-streaking in CoD; Scavenger's a basic requirement for many guns.)

My only *real* issue with the system is just when I go to use an airstrike and my killstreak resets because they count as a vehicle. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that this is the case.) If you ask me, a player should just have separate threat levels depending on what he enters, instead of replacing their existing one completely. Like if you use a drone, you start earning a drone threat level, but if it gets destroyed then you go back to your infantry threat level and your drone level resets; if your body were to get killed while piloting it however, both levels would reset.

It's like how in CoD4, if you didn't want to miss out on a killstreak, you had to use it before getting your next one. You could certainly argue that it takes more skill to play wisely with your kill streak bonuses and back out of combat for a sec so you don't overwrite it, but I'm not fond of having to pay close attention to my killcount. That's why I like the star system, again, because they're always on-screen (and again, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only "pretty sure" that they are...I've been playing other games recently.)

Sorry for the big post, dudes. =P

no need to apologize. i would rather have long, well explained posts than two lines of unintelligent ranting.

i like BC because it adds a bit of extra oomph to the game. theres a lot to be said for that rush that i get when i get the 1k bp for taking out a 5 star infantry threat (as rarely as that happens :p). granted, im not actually really good at the game so i give stars more frequently than i get them, but i still really enjoy the game mode.

not a fan of TDM, what with my .35 k/d (i know, i know), which is why i play GC. even if i dont get a lot of kills, i can still help out by tagging objectives to help them capture faster or contesting an opponent's zone to slow them down. the BC just adds another little bit of extra on top of that.

• 1 month later...

So it seems a lot more people enjoy it than not.

I personally think it's brilliant, because it keeps the gameplay fresh with assigned targets, yet you are entirely free to ignore them and just play normally if you wish. It's also a great feeling when you're earning stars, you know you're performing well but it adds that extra pressure to keep going knowing that you'll get the entire opposing force chasing you down. Can't stay still for long!

I'd like to know more about those who hate it... why? I mean it's not like it changes the game THAT much, really, it's more like a little added variety than a complete game mode by itself. The core remains Ground Control or TDM at its base, which are both proven formulas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yea, it took some luck, but I felt great seeing that achievement pop. It wouldn't mean as much if I camped in a vehicle the entire game to get it.
I actually got my 5-star threat because of someone camping on our spawn flag in a tank. I decided to get as far away from the action as possible and launch my parrot and kept tagging him as he sat there getting cheap kills. It's not the most honourable way to get it but at least my team knew what to avoid/how to adapt to the situation and once the achievement popped I hit X immediately and launched two Hellfires at the tank, ending his spree. :D hahaha

Personally I like the idea of BC. Too many games encourage and reward camping/cheap tactics but BC yells "HEY, THAT GUY IS OVER HERE! KILL HIM!" and encourages tactical thinking and co-operation if you're in a party.

• 2 weeks later...