Mission 8...

MACdanstaface

Ok, so I'm still hoping to finish mission 8 on mission mode one day so I can move on. I never thought it would have taken me this long.

I never managed to damage more than 3/4 health. I saw the vid, and there's no way I'm doing this on MN with the Kusari...

Many people on this forum said mission 4 is one of the hardest, but I didn't spend a quarter of the time on 4 I spent on 8 - and I'm not even finished... In both cases, of course, the attacks are random, but against Alexei the moments you can hit him are not arbitrary. Against Genshin, after the same combo, sometimes you can hit him, sometimes he just vanishes in the air...

So I go with the Scythe. I tried a few times with the DS but it doesn't change much - it's just a bit more annoying to take care of the rocket ninjas.

First I avoid his jump, combo YYY. I then go take care of the 2 rocket ninjas jump XYY. If I get too far from the Rocket N's I use the Nippo - I try to save it for the 2nd or 3rd round of RN. Ususally (but not always, which is the annoying part of the arbitrariness against Fiend Genshin) when Genshin does his combo that ends with the flaming claw in the air, if I'm close enough, I can place YYY. Apart from that, I don't see any window to get to him. I can hit him but it won't stop him, or he'll just vanish and I'll do no damage at all.

So I'm just looking for some tips. In particular, I'm hoping someone can give me a detailed breakthrough of Fiend Genshin's combos, and when to hit.

Thx

Using the scythe, i think xxy is better against him: the last y is a big sweeping move that often connects. Against the rocket launchers, jump towards them Y is good because it grants you invulnerability for a couple tenths of a second. And the guillotine works great, of course.

My method with the scythe vs the boss is: everytime I feel there's a window of opportunity, I press x ONE SINGLE TIME. If x connects, I do xy ( it's a delayed xxy combo, if you will). If the first x doesn't connect, I have enough time to hold guard and prepare for the shitstorm.

When to hit:

- he has a 3-hit combo that ends with a sweeping horizontal attack. It breaks your guard, but you have some room for an attack if you manage to evade it.

- a flying "hurricane" attack where he jumps, rotates over himself with the sword (some sort of a triple somersault attack), and does a vertical slice as he lands. The airborne part is a guard breaker, and the follow-up deals horrendous damage. If you manage to evade the whole thing you can hurt him after he does the OL attack.

- when he does his airborne shuriken attacks, you have a shot as he lands.

... there are other opportunities, I guess: just press X when you think you can touch him. Just don't mash the buttons, or be ready for a quick cancel with the guard.

Edited by Devolon

He's the worst of the whole game, probably the worst of all the missions.

I'd agree with what Devolon said, except the first one since I tried and too many times he reacts; on the contrary, there's a longer combo he can perform, and that's good. My favourite timing is the second one described by him, and another one which is though not so safe and so common: not so safe because if he lands the hit you're dead, dot; not so common because it's one of his rarest moves. Moreover you gotta stay quite close to him for him to do this. I'm talking of the move when he makes a sort of rotation to clean the thing that he's wielding, then he tries to grab you; easy to dodge (but, again, deadly if connects), then you can land an YYYY with scythe.

It's very true what Devolon said about the combos: see if the first hit connects, then try the other ones if the first lands (I usually go for the Y...Y...Y, scythe), else run away. Sometimes though it's the opposite: he might jump back and the first two hits of an YYYY scythe won't connect, the last two will, dealing good damage. It's quite much luck based of course, there's no comparision at all between this mission and mission 4, starting from the wider space and less stupid camera (and also to some extent less dangerous minions).

Kusari...I tried to imitate that strategy, but didn't work much for me. You can wind-path him and then do the YY aerial with Kusari, but it takes a lot and therefore you'll probably eventually mistake, but maybe it's worth a try for you. Also after the double dash he's usually vulnerable. What is important is landing your hits while he's actually still attacking: I don't mean it litteraly, but you can see that, for example, when he makes the orizontal swing, it will hurt you as soon as the sword is coming down; if you hit him when the sword has finished its "fall", he'll probably warp away; if you hit him when the sword is, to say, half way falling, then you won't take the hit and he won't teleport away. Each fraction of second is important when timing him: keep trying, you'll eventually get the good run, and to focus more on your enemy, quit any computer, music or whatsoever in your real-life environment: sounds lame, but helps alot. Most of all, don't de-focus on cursing the hell between the one fight and the other: the more you get enraged, the more you focus. Till you completely lose your patience and smash the xbox, so stop a little earlier :-p

Edited by Starlight126

Thx, I'll just keep trying I guess... Which is a bit boring 'cause I'm not doing anything else in the game. I'll definitely master all the missions before I go back to story mode. I really think I like the story mode more than karma missions - at least, when I loose in story mode, I know why. I miss survival...:(

How long did it take you to pass mission 8 (please don't say 2 tries:locked)?

Half a day of serious tries, meaning I knew what to do. Definitely, story mode is better, yet not so forgiving or "fair" as for losing is concerned. If you just can't deal with that fight, stop trying for a while, change target and maybe you might try against him in the wider arena, with no minions, in story mode at the end. Fighting him alone on Mentor will give you a good idea of his attacks. Moreover, try not to fight without thinking; actually, always try to collect as many infos as possible, and if that's the case, also write them somewhere after a bunch of tries.

This mission is mostly about camera management IMO. If you manage to get comfortable with RS, RB and RT (3 different commands just for the camera, how fucked up is that lol), you will clear the mission sooner than later.

Problem is that you don't really need to master that particular "skill" until you reach MN, so there's a bit of a learning curve for something very specific that you won't really need in any other part of the game (except the chapt9 / mission 11 white dragons).

You're reaching a part of mission mode (missions 8 to 14) where you need to know when to quit and leave the mission (and the game, maybe) alone for a while. Like starlight said, managing your anger / frustration is important, too. Zen is part of the way of the master ninja ;)

Edited by Devolon

LOL there should be a thread or some youtube video channel dedicated to people going mad while playing NG2.

I remember me screaming "Joyeux Noel, enculé!!!" at dagrai dai while unleashing the final inferno that put him to rest in mission 10 MN. And my sweet victory dance as the master ninja of missions achievement unlocked...

• 4 weeks later...

I just did this right now! Thanks guys for the scythe tip.

Y-Y-Y worked a charm. You just need to get used to when to hit him when an opening comes up.

Another thing that I noticed when attempting this was to wind path to either his side or better yet behind him when an opening is coming. It made more of my yyy scythe land better.