Who actually likes this?

Lord Goblinboy

• 1 month later...

I liked it the first time through. I've finished it 2 more times and I think I'm pretty much done with it. Sheogorath's dialogue is hilarious, better than anything in the original game, but it doesn't make up for the fact that the quests just aren't as much fun. I loved the concept (contrast between Mania and Dementia sides of the island), but the execution just wasn't quite there.

I liked it the first time through. I've finished it 2 more times and I think I'm pretty much done with it. Sheogorath's dialogue is hilarious, better than anything in the original game, but it doesn't make up for the fact that the quests just aren't as much fun. I loved the concept (contrast between Mania and Dementia sides of the island), but the execution just wasn't quite there.

Though I first posted it's a great DLC, its not perfect.

Shivering Isles is about 1/4 of the Cyrodiil map. I think they should've put more cities in it (New Sheoth's the only one I believe)

They also could have added a little more new weapons and armor. The smiths sold mostly weapons I could get anywhere in Cyrodiil as well and the only new armor was Madness and Amber.

Sheogorath was fun, but if I hear he's the 'Prince of Madness' I would expect a world filled with madness like upside-down dungeosn or something but eveything seemed to be just ordered (and order was Sheogorath's biggest enemie, right?)

Last I think Jyggalag and the Gatekeeper were way to weak. I killed Jyggalag with 3 strikes. When I saw him, I expected a challenging fight but he was dead before I knew it. If I see how much trouble I had sometimes with his Knights of Order I start thinking how is this possible.

The Gatekeeper. A quite big enemie with a giant sword as arm. OK, when you kill him he might get poisoned by those tears but if I see him the first time slaughtering a group of 6 men wearing Orcish and Elven armor and me killng him in 10 sec, I think WTF!!! (however it also could just have been me with the difficulty too low)

Anyway, somewhere in me I just think this is a DLC which should only be bought if you want the remaining 250G (I really wanted it as it was my first 100%)

While i did enjoy the Shivering isles i don't think it's a good as the main questline.

The most annoying thing is the dual option achievement, which i didn't know about until my most recent saves were hours afterwards.

At some point i need to redo Shivering isles to get the last achievement in this game, which is annoying.

While i did enjoy the Shivering isles i don't think it's a good as the main questline.

The most annoying thing is the dual option achievement, which i didn't know about until my most recent saves were hours afterwards.

At some point i need to redo Shivering isles to get the last achievement in this game, which is annoying.

I made a savegame before doing that and first did quest for Dementia and then for Mania to continue as ruler of Mania (thanks to UESP Oblivion)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a great example of a DLC done RIGHT. How someone can complain about it when gives you a whole new area to explore is beyond me. I spent about 1/4th of my time in the Shivering Isles while playing and enjoyed every minute of it. Also LOVED the weapons and armor you gain while progressing through the storyline, and I use them more than the weapons from Cyrodill (Dusk/Dawnfang is freakin awesome ;))

I think Bethesda wanted to toy around with a different atmosphere than what is displayed in the original game. That said, I found Mania, etc. to be really interesting because it wasn't like the main game. I loved the use of color and detail in areas that the main game might have been a bit dull.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved it, like acouple others Oblivion was my first 1k but since I picked it up after SI came out I spent like 80 bucks that day on Oblivion, buying my copy and then all of the DLC in one go. Anyhow I spent a couple hundred hours playing Oblivion, including SI and since then I have to admit there really haven't been any DLC for any game quite like SI.

It was an actual expansion to the game, like Bloodmoon and Tribunal were for Morrowind (one of my favorite games of all time).

There have only been one or two games with DLC in the same ball park as SI, and thats Fallout 3 (Point Lookout + Broken Steel) though all of their DLC were pretty cool, and Borderlands (Secret armory of general Knoxx) is about on par with SI in my opinion.

And yeah Dawn/Duskfang are the best blades in the game as far as Im concerned. The ability to use an enchanted weapon without being concerned with refilling them every 5 minutes is amazing.