Destiny endgame revealed

LoadedCannon

I kind of get it. Randoms are unreliable and rarely have mics plugged in. They generally run and gun, and can quit on a match when their dinners ready. Raids sound like they've been developed for dedicated players, so you'd all want to work together, take it slow and work for the goodness of the team.

You could easily find six players by playing the strike missions using the matchmaking and adding players who dont suck. Or use this website which would probably be the best way.

Edited by LoadedCannon
typo

I kind of get it. Randoms are unreliable and rarely have mics plugged in. They generally run and gun, and can quit on a match when their dinners ready. Raids sound like they've been developed for dedicated players, so you'd all want to work together, take it slow and work for the goodness of the team.

You could easily find six players by playing the strike missions using the matchmaking and adding players who dont suck. Or use this website which would probably be the best way.

Or they could just as easily allow matchmade games instead of creating hurdles for players to overcome just to play the end-game content.

Your first paragraph is unrelated because dedicated players were most likely already going to have a group of friends ready to go in an hour's notice. Other players who couldn't be bothered to find 5 others with no other commitments for the next 5+ hours without the aid of matchmaking? Hah, fat chance.

"Dedicated" players can very well formulate their own fireteams. It makes no sense to push that burden onto players who otherwise wouldn't want to:

a.) play Strike mission after Strike mission canvassing potential teammates.

b.) register and recruit teammates via online gaming forums.

c.) bug the shit out of their friends to play Destiny (many of which would most likely not be geared up for the end-game content anyway assuming they had a character made to begin with.)

This is already ignoring the glaring issue of communication between players. Unlike traditional MMO's Destiny lacks any worthwhile way of communicating with others. With only four emotes to convey emotions (which do a sucky job at even that), do they honestly expect us to send out mass-messages to recent players soliciting help for Raids/Strikes? If so I might as well turn off all notifications from the get-go if I'm going to be spammed every time I set foot in the Tower or otherwise explore the game maps.

edit: Comments from the IGN article:

I'm 31 years old. I have 2 friends I play with. It's hard enough finding time to get them on at the same time. Finding 3 more and getting us all on at the same time. AND making sure we all have raid-worthy gear? That's impossible. No matchmaking all but guarantees that I won't be able to go on Raids. This is terrible.

I kinda wish I could cancel my digital preorder now. The whole appeal to this game for me was that I could play it whenever I wanted to and not be a "filthy casual".

I put in my "scheduled raid time" in World of Warcraft. I have a full-time job and a family now, that's not an option anymore.

Edited by Hishoa

Assuming that Bungie can recycle the code, i'm sure they'll patch matchmaking into raids. Theres a lot of disgruntled fans demanding matchmaking.

I'm sure just as many people will be frustrated when their matchmade partner quits early, or goes AFK at a pivotal moment after your team has sunk 3 hours into a raid though.

For example, imagine that a section of the dungeon demanded that 6 targets had to be taken down at precisely the same time while there's a countdown clock and johnny-no-mic doesn't get it or Dr AFK is awol.

I'm sure just as many people will be frustrated when their matchmade partner quits early, or goes AFK at a pivotal moment after your team has sunk 3 hours into a raid though.

Knowing Bungie I'm sure they'll impose a penalty to those who quit or are otherwise idle for a certain amount of time. Considering the magnitude and seriousness of a Raid, I'd wholeheartedly agree with strict punishments for those who abandon their teammates. However, I think the punishments should be lessened for those who quit after a teammate or two have already resigned from the game; it'd suck to be punished for quitting a raid that would very well be impossible when you're already down a few teammates.

For example, imagine that a section of the dungeon demanded that 6 targets had to be taken down at precisely the same time while there's a countdown clock and johnny-no-mic doesn't get it or Dr AFK is awol.

I understand. However I'm sure after players participate in a Raid once or twice they'll take notice how difficult and demanding it can be and will better themselves for future attempts when matchmaking, such by gearing up ideally for Raid missions and setting aside the time necessary to finish the Raid. There will always be shitty randoms but that doesn't mean those randoms can't become better teammates after experiencing what it's like to participate in a raid. Assuming Bungie addresses the communication issues, we'll hopefully have a plethora of new emotes to convey information and requests to better increase the cohesiveness of the raid team. While I would prefer teammates to have a mic, I can forgive them if they make proper use of emotes to aid their teammates in positioning and call-outs.

Overall, i'd rather have the opportunity to join a raid via matchmaking and risk getting a sub-par teammate than not because I don't have 5 other (lvl-20 high-level-geared Raid-minded) friends who are playing the same game on the same console as me.

edit: also this, because I can

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Hishoa

@ Hishoa

Too much to quote, and admittedly I just skimmed some of it, but I want to comment on a couple points.

I think what you're kind of looking for as far as chatting with randoms is proximity-based chat right? I think that would be pretty cool. I'm not sure how difficult it would be for them to implement something like that in the game, but I'd welcome it. Also, with how many people who play in parties, or like myself, have everyone but friends muted, it would probably detract from it to an extent. But, if that's what you're wishing for, I'm with you, it would definitely add to the immersion of running into strangers and coordinating effort.

In regards to that quote with the guy who's 31 and has a tough time getting together with friends, I see it both ways. I'm in the same boat as him, except at this point, I don't really even have the two real life friends to play with. My friends haven't made the jump to next-gen and our schedules are so different that it would be impossible to get together as often as it would require to play a game like Destiny - and that's assuming they gave a fuck about Destiny, let alone had the experience and gear to do this stuff, that's quite a list of stipulations. But, I know that going in and I'm fine doing what I can solo and playing with people from the site that I play with occasionally.

Unfortunately (or not, depending on your opinion), the industry is headed towards this style of MMO-esque (I don't see Destiny as a full on MMO) gaming more and more. It's best to educate yourself on a game, and if it's not going to suit you, find something else. That's not directed at you exactly, more the guy who made the comment. But the point of the game is to encourage making new friends out there on the battlefield and playing with them. It gets all fucked up because most of us don't actually do that. That's the problem with online gaming though, most of the time, people don't do things properly and it devolves into a mess. It's a double-edged sword though. Bungie's trying something kind of new, atleast for consoles and their style of game, but it shouldn't come as a surprise that people don't want to play the game properly, meaning being in public chat and making friends, because online gaming is a nasty vile place.

Edited by WalterWhite

Well, I'm in the same boat as the comments posted from the IGN site. Both I don't really have the time or the resources to get together with 5 other friends to play for 3-5 hours (I don't even know if I have 5 friends that regularly play on the One, most are still on the 360) but also the Warcraft thing. I remember just trying to do instances and getting however many people together was a really drawn out process, and you'd always have someone drop off about half way or 3/4 of the way through just to be screwed and not be able to take on the boss or get the best gear. It was a shame then too, because man, I loved instances and raids. They were just so time consuming, and that was when I was in my mid-20's with time to spare.

Which sucks, because Raids sound like a great time. Unfortunately it's just one of those things where I'll have to move on to another game. If I can't play end game regularly, I don't know if there's much of a point to investing the time just to get to the end game. I was already put off by the PvP which I stated in another thread, but this kind of puts the dagger in it.

I think on the whole, Destiny is going to be a great experience. It's just a shame that it requires efforts that might put some of us that are more casual gamers out of the picture. All in all though, I can't really fault the devs for it just because it doesn't fit into how I play, that's just the way it goes sometimes. I suppose that's growing up in a nutshell though.

I'll still read the Destiny forum though, and look at videos. Nothing wrong with living vicariously :) Good thing there's a lot of good games coming out in the last part of this year, will be plenty to keep any gamer busy for a good while.

I think what you're kind of looking for as far as chatting with randoms is proximity-based chat right? I think that would be pretty cool. I'm not sure how difficult it would be for them to implement something like that in the game, but I'd welcome it. Also, with how many people who play in parties, or like myself, have everyone but friends muted, it would probably detract from it to an extent. But, if that's what you're wishing for, I'm with you, it would definitely add to the immersion of running into strangers and coordinating effort.

Proximity chat for one thing, but also a bunch more of emotes for those without mics. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://i.imgur.com/FSfWoZo.jpg

I'd tweak it some to add a bit more specifics to it, but it's the general idea that I'm liking.

Along with that, they need to change how chat works in the Crucible. In the beta you could only hear members of your fireteam (or party if you were all in party) and if you're running solo you don't hear diddly squat.

Unfortunately (or not, depending on your opinion), the industry is headed towards this style of MMO-esque (I don't see Destiny as a full on MMO) gaming more and more. It's best to educate yourself on a game, and if it's not going to suit you, find something else. That's not directed at you exactly, more the guy who made the comment. But the point of the game is to encourage making new friends out there on the battlefield and playing with them. It gets all fucked up because most of us don't actually do that. That's the problem with online gaming though, most of the time, people don't do things properly and it devolves into a mess. It's a double-edged sword though. Bungie's trying something kind of new, atleast for consoles and their style of game, but it shouldn't come as a surprise that people don't want to play the game properly, meaning being in public chat and making friends, because online gaming is a nasty vile place.

But in most MMO-styled games there's a clear and defined way of communicating with players. Obviously we can't use a keyboard, unless you're fine with plugging up a USB board or typing from your smartphone with Smartglass.. but I don't think the majority of players are going to be willing to go that extra length. I'd be more open to the idea of a matchmaking-less Raid if we could communicate better with players in-game and not having to resort to spamming recent players with Raid requests (which now that I think about it probably won't happen.. you'd be likely inviting 20+ or so under-levelled players anyways, haha.)

I'm sure that for anyone's who's serious about participating in a Raid and is willing to search out teammates either through exploration or the Tower, it'd be a goddamn chore to inspect each and every player only then to have to go through the arduous process of opening up the dashboard and sending them a message. There needs to be a simpler way that doesn't involve 3rd party communities.

edit: Found a better graphic of the d-pad emotes.

http://i.imgur.com/Jxo1jok.jpg

Edited by Hishoa

Which sucks, because Raids sound like a great time. Unfortunately it's just one of those things where I'll have to move on to another game. If I can't play end game regularly, I don't know if there's much of a point to investing the time just to get to the end game. I was already put off by the PvP which I stated in another thread, but this kind of puts the dagger in it.

Well said. I'm back on the fence about this game. I'm cool with the things that I can do in the game solo, but I don't think the campaign is going to be worth the price of admission, I didn't really care for the competitive multiplayer and I'm not sure how much time I want to invest in a loot-driven game, especially if I'm going to need a crew to acquire anything amazing, which is almost guaranteed. I really had enough of it after two Borderlands games. I need to read reviews now and see how it's all going to break down. If there's really only going to be twenty or thirty hours of viable content for someone in my position, I may not get the game.

I've also concluded that my favorite parts of the game don't have anything to do with playability. I like the universe, the Guardians, the lore, the mix of sci-fi cosmetics with fantasy terminology, the weapons, the music, the menus, but the actual gameplay didn't stand out to me a bit. I'm willingly buying into the hype at this point.

Edited by WalterWhite

I think this absolutely needs matchmaking for raids, no matter how stupid and dumb randoms can be. We don't have the luxury of spamming a global chat or LFM channel like most MMO's, we can't even chat to players close to us unless you invite then imto a fireteam. Needing to co-ordinate on forums or groups somewhere out of the game online will ruin raids for most of the casual players and let's not kid ourselves, there will be a lot more people playing Destiny casually than hardcore players.

Some folks really don't like that there is no matchmaking for endgame raids ...

The excuse I've heard/read more than three or four times is "I won't have five friends who own Destiny".

The solution to this is really simple ... make more friends!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I have a friend's list that is only 64 people. It was around 110, but I removed a bunch of folks who hadn't been on XBL in years. Of that 64, I did a quick count just a second ago and I figure about 20-30 of them will get Destiny (most of them at launch).

By this number and estimate alone, I suspect that Destiny should easily be the top selling game this year because I usually only have about 15-20 friends who buy CoD (either way, Activision wins :p).

If you're having problems finding people to play Destiny with ... you're not using your Xbox One/Xbox 360 right. If you're a PS-user and have the same problem ... I understand, PSN blows :D

Seriously, I have a friend's list that is only 64 people. It was around 110, but I removed a bunch of folks who hadn't been on XBL in years. Of that 64, I did a quick count just a second ago and I figure about 20-30 of them will get Destiny (most of them at launch).

Anecdotal experiences are near useless. For example, I only have 24 friends on my friends list, half of which use their machines for Netflix/Twitch/etc, three who've upgraded to the Xbox One and the rest who I game with in Halo Reach/Halo 4.. only one of which I know for sure is getting Destiny.

The solution to this is really simple ... make more friends!!!!!!!!!

Want to know how I became friends with most of them? Matchmaking.

If you're having problems finding people to play Destiny with ... you're not using your Xbox One/Xbox 360 right

How should we use our Xbox, then? Destiny currently has no worthwhile way of communicating between players, let along building bonds. The dashboard and messaging system is far too complicated to be sending out mass-invites. Coupled with the fact that you'll most likely want competent teammates, I doubt you'll have fun joining recent players' games just to inspect and check out their gear to deem if they're suitable Raid buddies. This is already assuming that they're willing to drop 5+ hours on a raid.

Could you please explain to me how matchmade games don't allow for fostering friendships between players?

Edited by Hishoa

Well, after having no interest in the game whatsoever and then enjoying the beta, this has put me off quite a bit. Only two of my IRL friends have a 360, and all but one pretty much refuse to even consider buying an xbox one, so obviously I'm screwed here.

Oh, and, @people who are going "ogm make more friends LOL!!!!!", not everyone finds that really easy (believe it or not), not to mention the fact that that a lot of people have made friends through matchmaking (myself included) and so would want a proper matchmaking system to be in place.

There is a matchmaking system in place. Strikes.

Better spend 20-30 minutes with a random and work out if they're compatible with you than, 2 hours on a raid only to find they're a tosser.

Play a few strikes, meet people, add them as a friend, play a few more then take it to the next level and raid.

Another way to look at it is to imagine that Bungie are catering for every type of player. PVP (which I'm not interested in), lone wolf, casual co-op and hardcore co-op. If you're not kitted out to enjoy the raids; avoid them, and if your interested; make some friends. I'm not bitching about not being able to enjoy PVP because Bungie made it so I can still get much enjoyment from the game.

Exotic items and endgame weapons are available in all avenues of the game.

Would that apply in this case, though? I mean.. they're Bungie clans, not 3rd party clans..? Or was it even taboo to talk about clans from Halo 2?

I asked Creech if it was ok and he said no.

I'm pretty sure the rule regarding clan discussion only applies to something like recruitment. I don't think talking about their existence is breaking a rule.

"From the Code of Conduct:

Clan Discussion

We do not allow clan discussion/recruitment/advertising, etc. on this site. If you are looking for a clan, please look elsewhere."

Clan Discussion

We do not allow clan discussion/recruitment/advertising, etc. on this site. If you are looking for a clan, please look elsewhere."

I am familiar with the rules. Posting it verbatim does not change the way I interpreted it. The world is not black and white. If acknowledging their existence is against the rules, then three people in this thread should get an infraction. I am curious as to what exactly you asked him, because word choice is everything.

I am familiar with the rules. Posting it verbatim does not change the way I interpreted it. The world is not black and white. If acknowledging their existence is against the rules, then three people in this thread should get an infraction.

No shit. The way the rules are makes any kind of organizing impossible. The context of my last post should have made that obvious.

I am curious as to what exactly you asked him, because word choice is everything.

Is it really? So you're saying sentence structure structure and intent don't matter at all then? Or do you mean that the universe is made up of entirely word choice? You didn't specify what you meant there.

His post reply it clear there was zero tolerance for clan talk here.

I asked Creech if it was ok and he said no.

Clan Discussion

Probably the single most silly rule on this site considering Destiny's clans are first party and pretty crucial to getting the most out of this game. /facepalm

Edited by lifeexpectancy

i dont really understand why they cant just have a matchmaking system as well. dedicated gamers are going to get 6 people anyway so why not just have matchmaking for people that cant get 6 players online at one time all the time.

as it stands i have 1person that is 100% getting destiny. 1 maybe and 1 that is getting destiny but is a busy person so wont be able to keep up or be online often enough lol