Achievement Guide and Roadmap

II OE II

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was 10 Sunlight Medals and Gwyn's soul btw :)

Just found out how to buy from Rhea, meet at Firelink after Capra, then rescue her from TotGs then immediately meet her at the Undead Church where I found the first Firekeeper soul.

Will check Anor Londo for Siegmund later tonight, see if I can get him to move to Firelink.

Le sigh, really would rather spend time playing the PC version but I can smell that 1000!

• 3 weeks later...

The achievement guide needs a notice. Some of the stuff regarding joining covenants has been changed (I'm guessing this guide was put up pre-patch 1.05) and the requirements are actually less than what is listed and it's easier to get all the Miracles now (I initially shuttered when I thought I was going to have to grind for 80 Eye of Death to get to Rank 3 for Gravelord Greatsword Dance... till I read elsewhere the requirement has been lowered to Rank 1, so only 10 are required.... whew!)

• 1 month later...
Pretty disappointed at soul distribution in NG++ I only get 2,000 more souls for the two guards in dark anor londo than I did in NG+. I need to grind another 18 levels at 132 to get 50 faith and the miracles. Almost there.

You don't need 50 faith. They changed it to 25 in a past update. The person that made the guide just didn't update it when new patches came out. The requirements for all of the covenant stuff is far more lenient now. Check here if you want more information. :)

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/covenants

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/game-patches

You don't need 50 faith. They changed it to 25 in a past update. The person that made the guide just didn't update it when new patches came out. The requirements for all of the covenant stuff is far more lenient now. Check here if you want more information. :)

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/covenants

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/game-patches

Oh wow, awesome stuff. I have my 10 sunlight medals too. Luckily killing one of those bugs which has the sunlight maggot dropped one because I have NEVER been able to be summonded online in over 300 hours and one year of playing.

Thanks for the heads up dude!

Oh wow, awesome stuff. I have my 10 sunlight medals too. Luckily killing one of those bugs which has the sunlight maggot dropped one because I have NEVER been able to be summonded online in over 300 hours and one year of playing.

Thanks for the heads up dude!

No problem. I'm really glad that I checked the wiki when I started playing. Some of those original covenant requirements were insane. 80 Eyes of Death?! No way, it took me long enough to get 10. I'm glad they made the changes like they did. It makes it possible to complete the game's achievements without having to play PvP or co-op.

• 2 months later...
No problem. I'm really glad that I checked the wiki when I started playing. Some of those original covenant requirements were insane. 80 Eyes of Death?! No way, it took me long enough to get 10. I'm glad they made the changes like they did. It makes it possible to complete the game's achievements without having to play PvP or co-op.

Sounds like good stuff. I'm probably gonna be picking this up pretty soon here.

Speaking of PvP, though, I read up on the guide saying that I'd have to be invaded at certain points if I want rare stuff. That's fine and all, but it doesn't specify whether that's by other players or NPCs, since the latter is apparently possible?

Edited by stuhp

Sounds like good stuff. I'm probably gonna be picking this up pretty soon here.

Speaking of PvP, though, I read up on the guide saying that I'd have to be invaded at certain points if I want rare stuff. That's fine and all, but it doesn't specify whether that's by other players or NPCs, since the latter is apparently possible?

They're talking about NPC invasions by black phantoms. You don't have to be playing in online mode for that to happen. You just have to be in human form at the appropriate time and places. There's plenty of information about them on the wiki if you're interested. If you're not looking for online invasions on your first playthrough, but you'd still like the time stamp on your achievements, then create an xbox live party before you boot up the game. This will allow you to start in offline mode and still be connected to xbox live. Just a fair warning, don't ever join an xbox live party while you're playing the game. Doing that mid session will kick you back to the start screen and cause you to lose any unsaved progress. :)

Here's a link with information on all of the NPC invasions in the game. It will also explain how they work and where they happen. I hope it helps.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Black+Phantom

Edited by BloodGodAlucard

If you're not looking for online invasions on your first playthrough, but you'd still like the time stamp on your achievements, then create an xbox live party before you boot up the game. This will allow you to start in offline mode and still be connected to xbox live. Just a fair warning, don't ever join an xbox live party while you're playing the game. Doing that mid session will kick you back to the start screen and cause you to lose any unsaved progress. :)

Eeesh, that's not a fun thought. Especially considering I got friends who spam party invites day in and day out D:

Thanks for the heads up on that C:

Eeesh, that's not a fun thought. Especially considering I got friends who spam party invites day in and day out D:

Thanks for the heads up on that C:

No problem. I always make it a point to set my online status to Busy when I'm playing an RPG. Or a game that I'm really in to and don't want to be disturbed. Just explain it to your friends before hand. I'm sure they'll be cool about it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dunno if this will help anyone particularly or be included in the Guide itself, but I'm putting together a comprehensive guide for the game category by category and having a visual tutorial might help people in ways that text can't, so I'll drop the videos in here.

• 2 months later...
So what makes this game so difficult.. is it the default difficulty? are there difficulty settings? i'm down for a new challenge once I finish my current RPG.. but what makes this one tick?

The achievements aren't difficult really, and there is only the default difficult level. The game just has a steep learning curve for new players. You can die quite easily if you're unprepared and are impatient. Any enemy in this game can kill you regardless of how far you progress if you're careless. You need to pay attention to enemy attack patterns and timing to do well without looking up strategies online. So that proves challenging to some players.

The added difficulty of the checkpoint system and the prospect of losing experience and money when you die can also seem daunting at first. (When you die you return to the last bonfire you rested at. This causes you to lose all of the souls and soft humanity you were carrying at the time of death. Souls function as both experience points for leveling and as the world's currency for purchasing items.) To retrieve your lost souls you must return to the place where you died and touch your bloodstain. It can be easily recognized by the glowing green energy emanating from it. If you die again before recovering your souls and soft humanity they become forfeit. Soft humanity refers to the number in the circle by your health and stamina bar.

You use humanity for a variety of things in the game, and it comes in two forms. Soft humanity and hard humanity. Hard humanity is a term referring to the consumable item that you use to add one humanity to your counter. It also serves as a healing item. There are also items called Twin Humanities that add 2 to the counter. Humanity adds to your item discovery rating making it easier to attain rare item drops from enemies. It also adds to your curse resistance. Another use for it is to reverse your hollowing. When you're in a hollowfied state you can't be invaded by other players (Black Phantoms), but you also can't summon co-op partners called White Phantoms. So if you want partake in multiplayer (or participate in NPC invasions and summonings) you'll need to be human. You also must reverse hollowing before you're allowed to kindle bonfires.

Kindling bonfires increases the amount of Estus Flasks you receive when you rest at them. You start with default of 5 unless resting at a fire that's tended by a fire keeper. In which case you'll receive 10 flasks here. You can initially kindled non tended fires up to 10 flasks. After you defeat a certain boss in the game you'll receive an item that lets you further kindle fires up to a maximum of 20 flasks. You increase the effectiveness of the flasks healing power by reinforcing them with Fire Keeper Souls. When you receive one of these rare items, bring them to a fire keeper.

Some people also find the invasion PvP mechanic of the game annoying. But that's an optional feature that can be avoided if you desire. As can the co-op aspect. But be advised that doing so takes away some of the fun/challenge/ease (depending on the player and their dependency on it) of the game. I would strongly advise you to not summon anyone on your first playthrough if you want to experience the true challenge of the game. But that's up to you. Some people summon every chance they get. If you do go the co-op route please don't do so when fighting invaders. That's strongly looked down on in the community as a dishonorable act. That's only if you intend to ambush the invader though. And only when the invader plays honorably. (Bows at the start of the fight, doesn't heal during a duel, doesn't spam Wrath of God, etc.) If you are in a group when someone who is a nice guy invades the proper thing to do is to fight him one at a time allowing the victor to heal before the second engagement starts.

In regards to the PvP everyone has different standards when it comes to etiquette in these matters. Some people see nothing wrong with healing during a match. Others view it as being unsportsmanlike conduct. Some people don't bother with bowing either and actually enjoy ganking (double or triple teaming) other players.

If you're patient and willing to learn from your mistakes you'll find the game quite enjoyable. The community is also great which is always a nice bonus when playing a cult classic like this series. Hopefully you'll find it as enjoyable and addictive as the rest of us. Welcome to Dark Souls. :)

Btw sorry for the long post I didn't really intend for that to be so detailed. It's late and I tend to ramble on about this game. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. People on here love discussing this game. So there's always someone on to offer tips and advice or point you in the direction of some useful sources of information. Speaking of which I'll leave a few links that will prove useful to new players. Enjoy.

2 wikis and a character builder:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

A detailed completionist walkthrough of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELMRQ4H_rQly8

(Note that this walkthrough and the one I'll link later are both from before the most recent patch and DLC. So certain things such as the Dark Wood Grain Ring have changed. Consult the wikis for a full list of changes.)

A much shorter brutally efficient walkthrough of the game focusing on crushing the bosses without any extra items shown:

If you like those channels and the content then you can do a search to find other videos showing new content including coverage of the DLC. Those two are my personally favorite Dark Souls commentators. There is also a guy called EpicNameBro that provides excellent content. His lore videos in particular are worth a watch if you end up enjoying the story and want to delve deeper into the lore and listen to some interesting theories.

I hope this proves useful and that the post didn't drag on as long as it seemed to in my head. :p

Edited by BloodGodAlucard