Courier (catching them)

Tyger7

This game doesn't cease to piss me off. Are you kidding me? I find one after beating the entire game, 40 hours of play. What happens? I chase him for literally 5 minutes, inching my way closer and closer. Suddenly the guards get angry that I am chasing him. I dodge as much as I can, literally steps away from tackling him. This close, he even runs into another civilian, whom falls over. The courier didn't get phased, looked like he stumbled but did not slow down. The guards stand in a line and block the entire road. Trying to go through them just gets you knocked over (no way to avoid this). What kind of an assassin can't slide under or dodge a slow melee attack by a musket? The courier gets away. Ubisoft, how is this a fun experience for me? It has nothing to do with challenge and all to do with luck. I guess I'll keep running around for an hour and see if I can find another. Or I can go scan the homestead activities for a few more hours. Sounds like some real good fun right?

For those that don't know, this is a Thief Club challenge (in challenge group 1). The symbol above the random AI looks like a red money bag and all they do is run away from you and you must catch them.

Fastest way I found is to just rope dart them over and over again. It drags them back towards you, and you gain on them each time without actually consuming the rope dart itself.

Repeat till win.

Thanks, it crossed my mind to use those but I didn't think it would work. I will try it.

If being chased, which I was having killed jagers until he appeared, rope darting would have been too slow. I used a poison dart. It'll take them a little bit before they actually die, you should be able to tackle him then, since he'll just stand still.

Best of luck. This is one game that I actually regret much of my time with. I will certainly save it for another time, but the achievements in this game above many others I've played in recent memory, were certainly not the most difficult, but easily the most ANNOYING. Seemingly designed that way, I'm not really sure why anyone would decide to punish their player base, but then again this is the Ubisoft we all know and love with their outrageously draconian DRM.

Goes to show how well they integrated those features into a full fledged game doesn't it? Or rather, the lack thereof. It's like they had all these good concepts, threw in haphazardly, and decided to give the player little information about what and where they were.

I don't know what was taking so much of their time, certainly not QA that's for sure. I've played Alpha games that were less bug ridden. :(

I had similar issues with the courier. The biggest one though was trying to find one. In 60 hours of total gameplay, I encountered 3 all game, with 2 of them occurring early on when I didn't know about the thief's challenge. When i actually found the courier that I caught, it was by luck. He was a few meters away, but no red icon above his head or on his map. I had to actually lock on to him to get that icon to pop up. I wish I had known that earlier. I wonder how many couriers were near me before and I just didn't realize thanks to no icon on the screen or map.

I really like this game. Ubisoft did a great job with the core functionality of the game, but there are just a few too many glitches that spoil the experience somewhat if you are a completionist (or trying to get all the achievements). Playing this game normally, I hardly noticed any glitches and wasn't bothered by the ones that I did notice. Unfortunately, it was after I complete my playthrough and tried to finish off all the optional collectablles/tasks where I ran into some serious time consuming bugs. From a programing perspective, that's a real shame since they did a very good job on the complicated matters ... yet for much simpler programming matters the game wasn't as polished (i.e.: these glitches shouldn't be difficult to fix). I literally needed over 30 hours of post game play to finish off the achievements, mostly due to issues that shouldn't have been there (e.g.: encyclopedia of the common man glitch, missing or disappearing map icons, assigned tasks not showing up in the collectibles list). Thank god I didn't really notice issues like that during the story or that would have severely affected my impression of the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I encountered a courier every time while liberating a fort,

He was running in circles and begging me not to kill him, seriously in every fort I went ...

Also every time after starting a huge fight with the guards a courier appeared. I saw it yesterday when I was getting the Jager Bomb achievement by fighting my way up to notoriety level 3. While I was fighting the Jagers a courier came by.

OK, it's not a good time to chase a courier when fighting an massive amount of guards but maybe worth a try if you are already searching for hours to find that guy.

Sigh, still not having luck, at least in the other games the spawned, they may have been a pain. I'm not sure I have even seen one :(

You probably came across several, but in AC 3, you have to focus/target on the courier before an icon appears on the map or over his head. Watch a video to see what a courier is suppose to look like and pay close visual attention during the game for this guy.