If your new to Castlevania....

Hi, I never played a castlevania game and I wasn't interested into this one until I saw the trailer because I never knew to much about castlevania. Now to be frank it also got me interested because I read that the gameplay has the best parts of God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and Devil May Cry. Which I don't think is fair to compare a game to another game in a genre but to be fair that did catch my interest. Even though I never played Shadow or Devil but I know their suppose to be good games. Anyway back to castlevania, my question is for somebody who never played a castlvania game: what is so great about this game? Thanks for all replies!

It's difficult to say what's so great about this particular game because the it's not even out yet, nor has there been a demo. Although, it has been getting good reviews and has recieved a few review scores over 90 percent so far, so it's all looking very good.

Unless you mean what is so great about Castlevania games in general? First of all, Castlevania started as 2D platforming games, and a majority of them are brilliant and will always be the best versions of Castlevania in the fans' eyes. They have awesome sound tracks, Metroid-style level ups, fun bosses, and a fair share of exploration and collecting items.

From what I've heard and seen of the game in particular, it does indeed use elements from the God of War, Shadow of Colossus and Devil May Cry games.

If you've never played those games before then it will be hard to explain, but they're all good, fun hack n slash games (apart from SOC which isn't hack n slash) with big ass boss battles.

It's difficult to say what's so great about this particular game because the it's not even out yet, nor has there been a demo. Although, it has been getting good reviews and has recieved a few review scores over 90 percent so far, so it's all looking very good.

Unless you mean what is so great about Castlevania games in general? First of all, Castlevania started as 2D platforming games, and a majority of them are brilliant and will always be the best versions of Castlevania in the fans' eyes. They have awesome sound tracks, Metroid-style level ups, fun bosses, and a fair share of exploration and collecting items.

From what I've heard and seen of the game in particular, it does indeed use elements from the God of War, Shadow of Colossus and Devil May Cry games.

If you've never played those games before then it will be hard to explain, but they're all good, fun hack n slash games (apart from SOC which isn't hack n slash) with big ass boss battles.

Well I haven't really seen any reviews it's coming out relatively soon though, I know that. What reviews are there though and could I find them online?

Well I haven't really seen any reviews it's coming out relatively soon though, I know that. What reviews are there though and could I find them online?

I haven't been able to find full reviews, only snippets posted online because I believe they have been published in their respective magazines.

Official Xbox Magazine Review

GameMaster and Xbox World Reviews

and Edge gave it an 8.

Edited by Echilion

Here's an online review from Gamesradar. They gave it a 9/10. :)

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/castlevania-lords-of-shadow/review/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-super-review/a-2010092718572789413453/g-2009060316201868024

Gamesradar always give honest reviews and you can always trust their views.

Edit: Review scores so far:

games™ - 8/10

360 Magazine - 4/5

X360 Magazine - 9/10

Play Magazine - 85/100

CVG.co.uk - 9.2/10

gamesradar - 9/10

EuroGamer - 8/10

Edge - 8/10

PSM3 - 94/100

OPMUK - 9/10

VideoGamer - 9/10

Meristation - 9/10

Edited by Takamura Bear

Yea i've never really played any other Castlevania games. I Know some of the story but i'm damn excited about this one. I'm glad they are doin the god of war devil may cry kinda thing for it. My only hope is that they release some DLC for the game or I might have trade it in early :-(

The Castlevania games are known for variable difficulty. The first one is obviously the hardest (until you learn of the holy water glitch) the second well let's try to forget that one. The third was the first (not counting the second remember) where you could choose what your journey and who your allies were.

This is for the nes era of castlevania games that are considered classic gems...for some reason even the second one 0.o (I don't know, i didn't do it)

For snes I player 4 and 5, 5 I found the hardest of the two snes games, but 4 was tricky at times and can be considered a hard game.

After that it came to the 64 era and my parents bought castlevania 64, which was pretty good I have to say, the final battle with dracula is amazing and the first part of the battle is reminiscent to the first game.

That was about it with me and Castlevania, in most of my experience they were either hard, or varaible. Hope that helps.

Super Castlevania IV is still the best Castlevania game ever created. Even though Lords Of Shadows looks damn amazing, and will probably be the first great 3D Castlevania, IV will always be the best. It was just the perfect Castlevania game, and it never truly went back to that style, instead opting for the Metroidvania style.

In terms of how I'd rank the console games (leaving out the handhelds which are good in their own right but all follow the same Metroidvania style)

1. Super Castlevania IV

2. Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night

3. Castlevania: Bloodlines

4. Castlevania III

5. Original Castlevania

Honorable mention would go to Lament Of Innocence and Rondo Of Blood, which both were great games but were just not quite as good as they could have been, imo. I'd imagine Lords Of Shadows will be in my top 5 soon though, probably at #3 :p.