Very good game

Hey, I wanted to make this thread just to say how much I love this game. Red river released today in North America and I am having a ball, anyone who is interested in buying this game do it. I played dragon rising and hated it, but this game is just so much fun and nothing like dragon rising.

Yea I agree. As soon as I entered the menu I knew it was already better than DR. Although it still has a little bit of the buggy/twitchy mechanics that DR had, but that's really every Op Flashpoint game since the first one lol. I'm on the third mission right now, as I got my copy today too.

I haven't noticed many bugs. The only one I can recall is sometimes the humvee cutscene takes a second to start even with the full squad in.

I read so many negative reviews for the game, and I had pre-ordered it. I went to Gamestop wondering if I should even waste my time. I haven't stopped playing it yet, it is a solid title. It is better than Dragon Rising, but I liked that one a little. If they could get more funding for this franchise, and maybe spend more time working out some of the small bugs, it could be a huge franchise IMO. SOCOM style.

I read so many negative reviews for the game, and I had pre-ordered it. I went to Gamestop wondering if I should even waste my time. I haven't stopped playing it yet, it is a solid title. It is better than Dragon Rising, but I liked that one a little. If they could get more funding for this franchise, and maybe spend more time working out some of the small bugs, it could be a huge franchise IMO. SOCOM style.

Yeah if a game is different and fun it always gets a bad review. If a game is like all the other games (crysis 2) it gets good reviews. That's why I don't trust reviews especially not ign. G4 is usally pretty accurate though.

Honestly this game is horrible. The graphics and controls sucked from the little I did get to play of it. And it is just overrun with issues/glitches. Problem after problem...the game has already dropped severely in price in North America and not a single Dev from codemasters will post about the problems on their own forums lol. Personally unless you rent it or find it super cheap I wouldn't waste your money/time on this one.

I havnt played this one yet, but I really enjoyed dragon rising (Only played at friends house but i did complete missions) and honestly this game is taking away a lot of stuff that made dragon rising what it was and I think if they're going to change everything that much that they should have just made a new game completely and not have continued the operation flashpoint series.

I havnt played this one yet, but I really enjoyed dragon rising (Only played at friends house but i did complete missions) and honestly this game is taking away a lot of stuff that made dragon rising what it was and I think if they're going to change everything that much that they should have just made a new game completely and not have continued the operation flashpoint series.

Winner. I have played this game though and it's very sad in it's comparison with Dragon Rising. With Dragon Rising we got a mini-ArmA (Mil-Sim). Red River is the OFP team saying to hell with that, we want to be more appealing to the CoD and Battlefield crowd. And just like most everyone else who tries that, they put out a game that's so weak the majority of their original fans wont support it and their targeted audience, past maybe a weekend rental, is better off with whatever big "AAA" shooter they've been playing beforehand.

Winner. I have played this game though and it's very sad in it's comparison with Dragon Rising. With Dragon Rising we got a mini-ArmA (Mil-Sim). Red River is the OFP team saying to hell with that, we want to be more appealing to the CoD and Battlefield crowd. And just like most everyone else who tries that, they put out a game that's so weak the majority of their original fans wont support it and their targeted audience, past maybe a weekend rental, is better off with whatever big "AAA" shooter they've been playing beforehand.

Well this is how I see it. Dragon rising wasn't fun, Red River is fun. I like Red river better.

Well this is how I see it. Dragon rising wasn't fun, Red River is fun. I like Red river better.

Of course you do, they made it for you, people who enjoy crap like CoD, Medal of Honor (reboot), Homefront, etc., etc. That's pretty much what I just said.

Good to hear someone is liking it. I loved the hell out of Dragon Rising and am just not enjoying this one too much. I don't hate it, and I'm still going to play it. Maybe I just have to get used to it, it's so different from Dragon Rising. My friend likes it, so Co-Op always makes a game worth it. I just find it kinda boring, and a little too strict. Example being that because I didn't order my squad to move in (I had them "follow me".) I got an objective failed, and a bronze star. I mean, that's just stupid. I find there's very little freedom, and a game like this should be all about freedom. I do like being able to snipe whenever I want though.

Of course you do, they made it for you, people who enjoy crap like CoD, Medal of Honor (reboot), Homefront, etc., etc. That's pretty much what I just said.

No I enjoy fun games. And in dragon rising shooting at someone 3 miles away and not knowing where to go isn't fun.

Why are they crap? Becuase you don't like them? Ha....

Pretty much yes, since this is an opinionated topic that much should be implied. If you want specifics I can be very, very descriptive, probably enough to make your ass hurt even more.

No I enjoy fun games. And in dragon rising shooting at someone 3 miles away and not knowing where to go isn't fun.

Some like it easy some like it rough, choice is great.

Edited by Strid

I also agree that Red River is fun, i enjoyed dragon rising but it had it's flaws.

My only disagreement with this game is that for the most part, it's very restrictive, you have a small corridor in which to play and if you stray too far it's game over.

As far as realism goes this missed the mark in a few places. During mission 7 where you are ordered to hold the bridge, the PLA were swarming me so i decided to pull out and retreat over the bridge but because i wasn't supposed to, as soon as our humvee got to the bridge it exploded.

What i like about dragon rising was the option to approach an objective how i wanted to. But then again if you look at a real life Marine squad they are restricted to their commander's orders, so in that respect, red river gave a glimpse of what it would be like to be a marine in that position.

Maybe if the game was to follow a group of force recon marines there would be more freedom in how you approached a situation?

Well anyways, I really like this game, and it's probably the best co-op experience i've ever had.

Co-op is where this game shines, after playing through the game on solo once, i had no real interest in going through a 2nd time by myself, but after finding some people online who knew how to play it was so much more enjoyable. There were moments that felt like the 4 of us were in a real combat situation.

The game seems to come alive in co-op, during the night mission where you have to destroy the convoy, it became frustrating in single player as the rest of the team kept messing it up and dying but with 4 players and some well co-ordinated team work, this part was a lot of fun and felt real.

When reviwing the game you almost have to review it once for single player and again for co-op.

I'm not loving this game. I enjoyed the last one alot, but you were given alot more choice about how to approach and achieve your objective. This one is very linear and at only a few points can you really choose your own attacking strategy. The maps in the last one were very open and you could chose your own route, but in this one there is only one route. You're never really asked to attack anything big, the last one had you assaulting airfields, oil refineries, weapon depots, enemy bases etc. This one it feels like you are asked to attack the same village 20 times over.

I've found it pretty boring to be honest, it's very slow and as you can't choose your own tactics each firefight is the same as the last. There are long gaps between anything happenning which break up the pace. The scenery is also pretty dull, I've played lots of games set in middle east environment now and each level looks the same as the last.

I've also found the AI to be pretty terrible. several times my teamates have been standing next to an enemy and they've both ignored each other. The constant repeating of the same phrases by the other marines annoys me as well.

Now why on Earth would a developer want to be like games that sell millions, just on their midnight release?

Just because a game sells well and is very mainstream does not mean that it is bad. Don't be one of those people.

Just because a game sells well and is very mainstream does not mean that it is bad. Don't be one of those people

And because it does and is doesn't make it good. Bad things become popular all the time, doesn't make them any less horrible. You can take that middle school mentality on out with you, I wont be having it.

And because it does and is doesn't make it good. Bad things become popular all the time, doesn't make them any less horrible. You can take that middle school mentality on out with you, I wont be having it.

Now where did I say that makes it good? Oh I didn't. You are putting words in my mouth.

You, on the other hand, explicitly stated that most mainstream games are crap.

I will take my Notre Dame education and gladly bow out of this pathetic attempt at an argument by yourself. Maybe when you graduate high school we can try this again.

I also agree that Red River is fun, i enjoyed dragon rising but it had it's flaws.

My only disagreement with this game is that for the most part, it's very restrictive, you have a small corridor in which to play and if you stray too far it's game over.

As far as realism goes this missed the mark in a few places. During mission 7 where you are ordered to hold the bridge, the PLA were swarming me so i decided to pull out and retreat over the bridge but because i wasn't supposed to, as soon as our humvee got to the bridge it exploded.

What i like about dragon rising was the option to approach an objective how i wanted to. But then again if you look at a real life Marine squad they are restricted to their commander's orders, so in that respect, red river gave a glimpse of what it would be like to be a marine in that position.

Maybe if the game was to follow a group of force recon marines there would be more freedom in how you approached a situation?

Well, we (Marines) are taught to improvise, adapt, and overcome in the field. I'm sure you've heard the term. For the most part, there can be multiple ways to follow a general order from the CG or CO, and it's often up to the platoon commander to execute it to the best of his ability. The safety of Marines is always a top concern.

Force Recon is another story, and unfortunately what you see in games and on TV isn't really what they do. As the name suggests, they will mainly be used in deep reconnaissance and intelligence gathering roles. Many people don't know the difference between Force Recon and other battalions, and what the different ones do.

In any case, I've yet to play a game that's truly realistic to what combat operations are actually like, but the entire OF series could be considered some of the closer ones. I can say the dialog in Red River is pretty realistic. Maybe just a little overboard.

IMO while this is still a good fun game it is a step backwards from DR. Instead of just fixing the issues that DR had they made just another corridor shooter in the hopes of going mainstream. What bothers me is they would have had better sales if they would of just tried to appeal to there core audience instead of everyone. They had the formula right with DR, it just needed to be fine tuned.

i agree this game is really good. i dont understand how it got the same Metacritic score as SOCOM4:confused:

cause this game is 10x better, in fact the OF series is what SOCOM used to be back in the PS2 era

but the biggest improvement over OFDR is they got rid of 1 huge map and forcing you to trek across it on foot to each objective.

fortunately i didnt start playing the game till this past week which was after they apparently patched a bunch of bugs, the only grip i have is the AI teammates sometimes acting stupid, like when i tell them to move up to a wall for cover almost everytime theres one of them that randomly get up and run in front of the cover...

and another really annoying issue is when i tell a teammate to heal another one, they get up an run out into an open space which is normally in teh line of fire...

and it seemed impossible to get them to stay up ontop of a building to provide suppressing/defensive fire, they always run down and around the building.

i think thats the 1 main issue they need to work on for the next one.

other than that its great and im having alot of fun playing, im already playing thru the campaign a 2nd time trying to finish ranking my Rifleman class, then i plan on ranking up the other 3 classes, more based on fun factor than achievements

its pretty awesome having the AI nearly fully leveled Riflemen with the sniper scopes and perks taking out enemies with ease, when it was normally me having to do most of the work the first time around when they were the default level 1

Edited by eiVaL