magixman

General info

What is Phantom Breaker EXTRA?

Phantom Breaker EXTRA is a 2D fighting game developed and published by 5pb. It has almost the same fighting game mechanics as Persona 4 Arena, but with additional fighting game styles; Quick, Hard and the new EXTRA.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt1IHiD5JeQ]Phantom Breaker EXTRA: Game opening Trailer HD - YouTube[/ame]

The game is easy to pickup for a novice fighter as it has a 4-button layout. The combo's are also easy to perform with most of the cast.

So, when did it came out?

The original Phantom Breaker (ファントムブレイカー Fantomu Bureikā) is a 2D fighting game developed and published by 5pb. in 2011. The game was initially slate to be launched in April 2011 but was delayed and released in June 2011.

On May, 2013 5pb. announced a new version of Phantom Breaker titled Phantom Breaker: Extra (ファントムブレイカー: Extra Fantomu Bureikā: Extra) is in development and was released on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on September 19, 2013.

Erm... I’ve never played a Phantom Breaker game before. Do I need to know anything/Which should I play first?

Both the original and the EXTRA are similiar to each other. 'cept EXTRA has an extra style called EXTRA and has 4 more extra characters

The fighting game mechanic is still the same in EXTRA, 'cept for some minor tweaks and nerves on some of the original characters (like range, hit box). It still has the same 4-button layout, like in Persona 4 Arena, minus the 'easy-mash-1-button-combo'

Can I import the JP version of the game for my EU/US X360 console?

Well, I can confirm that the digital version from the JP Games on Demand is indeed region free as I have tested it myself on my EU X360.

A few members also confirmed that the HK digital version (which is a bit cheaper) is also region free.

The retail version (disc) has been confirmed to be region free!

I can't understand any of these achievement descriptions. Help!

Sure (link). Credits to The Stray.

Who are the guest characters in the game that everybody talks about?

Rimi Sakihata from Chaos;Head and Kurisu Makise from Steins;Gate.

How do I unlock them? It looks cool to see those characters duke it out!

Rimi and Kurisu are not playable from the get-go. Same goes with White Mikoto & L.

To unlock these characers, you need to clear Situation Battle mode as Sophia, Shizuka, Gaito and Ende.

After you've cleared the requirements. Choose the normal Mikoto if you want to play as White Mikoto or M. if you want to play as L.

Hit the left stick to the left BEFORE choosing your style (Quick, Hard or EXTRA) to select White Mikoto or L.

Are there any other characters besides those guest characters?

Only the 4 new characters in EXTRA: Sofia Kalganova, Shizuka Saejima, Ende & Gaito (& Rin)

It's kinda weird to see Rin in the loading screen with Gaito, but not during the battle...

So what's with this 'Situational Battle mode'? It sounds complicated!

Situational Battle mode pits you against certain objectives during a match. For example, perform 2x Special Moves in a match or end the match with a Super Special attack. If you manage to K.O your foe without the requirements, it will only net you 1 star.

If you happen to clear one of the requirements, this will net you 2 stars. Or 3 stars, which is the maximum you can get if you are lucky enough!

Here is (link) an example of Sophia's Situational Battle (Story) mode. Keep in mind it's still a WiP post. Credits to black_raen from GameFaqs.

I hated the !@#$%%$ trials in Street Fighter, BlazBlue, Marvel VS Capcom 3. Don't tell me... it's in here right?

Sadly, but no. No trials allas...

IMO, it would've been great to have a trial mode in the game. So new people can have an idea how the combo system works as it's somewhat complicated what moves and whatnot can or cannot be cancelled into another...

I can't get my combo's high enough to get that final Combo achievement. Any tips?

Sure, take a look at these 2 video's:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCYaDLCa048]Phantom Breaker EXTRA: Avatar/Combo achievements/trophies Tutorial HD - YouTube[/ame]

1st section 1:08 explains on how to get up to 30+ combo with Cocoa (Hard style)

2nd section 2:35 explains on how to get up to 50+ combo with Infinity (Quick style/A47A47's method)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FiMN8VeL4A]Phantom Breaker EXTRA: Mikoto [EXTRA] 60+ Hit Combo Tutorial HD - YouTube[/ame]

At 1:06 mark, explains on how to get up to 60+ combo with Mikoto (Extra style)

Or watch the alternative video by RAINKINGX1.

Edited by magixman

Well, I got stuck on my last achievement:

a7

100:gsicon:

完全クリア!

シチュエーションバトルモードの全シーンをクリアする (Situation Battle Mode Cleared)

At first I thought I missed something, then I realize the achievement got glitched.

I moved my old save file on backup memory stick and started the game with a new file. I had to redo all of the Situation Battle scenarios for it to finally unlock.

FYI, I ran through all Situation Battle scenarios in one go, without touching Arcade, Multiplayer etc.

To those who got struck by this nasty glitch, here's a Siutation Battle Mode guide by Al Soure from the TA site. All credits goes to him:

Following is the list of the goals in situation battle mode. Without knowing these goals, beating situation battle mode is virtually impossible, still they are displayed in Japanese language (as expected). Hence the need of this list.

Please note that you have to win the match to earn stars. If you lose the match, you won't get stars even if you have accomplished some goals during the match.

For the terms used in this list, the info page of the (unreleased) North American version PB Original will serve as a good reference (http://phantombreaker.7sixty.com/info/).

The number of stars you need to unlock a particular scene is displayed at the bottom line. Although the text is in Japanese, I suppose the number is quite clear. For the unlocked scenes, the bottom line shows the basic / advanced goals for the scene.

As you can see from the list, the advanced goal is just an extension of the basic goal. So once you get used to the goal conditions, it's often more useful to aim for the advanced goal on your first try. This is especially true when the advanced goal calls for defeating your opponent with a stated type of attack.

It's a shame that some of the advanced goals are left as unknown. This means that I couldn't even beat the basic goal there redface.gif

And here are some additional notes.

Emergency mode: in Phantom Breaker Extra, emergency modes activates by pressing SP while the left stick is neutral (and not pressing direction buttons). This is different from PB Original, where it activates by L + M. Also note that there are other prior conditions to activate emergency mode. See references for PB Original about them.

Slip shift: the nullify attack of quick style.

Protection: the nullify attack of hard style.

Counter burst: a powerful counterattack which depletes burst gauges. To activate, press SP while the left stick is neutral (and not pressing direction buttons).

Phantom Break: the most powerful attack of the character. Press H + SP while having 200% burst gauges. Extra style characters can't use this attack.

Aerial recovery: while you are knocked back by an opponent's attack, you can restore your balance in the air by pressing SP button at a specific timing.

Battle rounds: situation battle is fought in one round match, regardless of the optional settings.

Difficulty: you can change the difficulty of the AI opponents in the optional settings.

Multiple sequences: if a goal says "A, then B for 2 times" or "A (cancel) B for 2 times", this means to perform the sequence twice (A - B, A - B). It's not for repeating B twice after A (not A - B - B).

Sophia

Vs. Fin

Basic: successfully land dash attacks for 4 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land dash attacks for 4 or more times and finish your opponent off with the dash attack.

Vs. Ende

Basic: successfully land heavy specials for 2 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land heavy specials for 2 or more times and finish your opponent off with the heavy special.

Vs. Itsuki

Basic: activate overdrive for 2 or more times.

Advanced: activate overdrive for 2 or more times and finish your opponent off while in overdrive.

Vs. Tokiya

Basic: perform slip shift for 3 or more times (only on quick style).

Advanced: perform slip shift for 6 or more times (only on quick style).

Vs. Gaito

Basic: successfully land counter burst for 3 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land counter burst for 3 or more times and finish your opponent off with the counter burst.

Vs. M

Basic: successfully land a Phantom Break.

Advanced: finish your opponent off with a Phantom Break.

Vs. Cocoa

Basic: land a 15 hit combo attack.

Advanced: ???

Vs. Shizuka

Basic: after protection, successfully land counter attack for 2 or more times (only on hard style).

Advanced: after protection, successfully land counter attack for 3 or more times (only on hard style).

Vs. Waka

Basic: successfully land heavy specials which have cancelled light/medium specials for 2 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land heavy specials which have cancelled light/medium specials for 2 or more times and finish your opponent off with the heavy special.

Note: this means you have to unleash your heavy special by cancelling a light/medium special. I'm not very sure, but it seems to me that only the heavy special has to be successful and the preceding regular special does not need to hit the opponent.

Also, the original Japanese text can also be read as the finishing heavy special does not have to be a "canceled" one. In other words, it might be able to meet the advanced goal by landing "special (cancel) heavy special" combo twice, then finishing off the opponent by another heavy special.

Vs. Yuzuha

Basic: land a 25 hit combo attack.

Vs. Mikoto

Basic: win the match with at least 60% of your HP left.

Advanced: win the match with at least 80% of your HP left.

Defeating Mikoto at this scene will unlock the "Situation battle mode: Sophia" achievement.

Vs. W. Mikoto (White Mikoto)

Advanced: defeat W. Mikoto.

There's no basic goal for this scene, just defeating W. Mikoto gives you 3 starts. Defeating W. Mikoto will unlock her as a playable character. To use her, select Mikoto as your character, then when selecting your style, input left.

Edited by magixman

Gaito

Vs. Yuzuha

Basic: successfully land dash attacks for 4 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land dash attacks for 4 or more times and finish your opponent off with the dash attack.

Vs. Waka

Basic: successfully land heavy specials for 2 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land heavy specials for 2 or more times and finish your opponent off with the heavy special.

Vs. Mikoto

Basic: throw your opponent while they are knocked down for 2 or more times.

Advanced: throw your opponent while they are knocked down for 2 or more times and finish your opponent off with the throw.

Note: as with the case of "special (cancel) heavy special" combo, it's not very clear whether the finishing throw has to be made against a knocked down opponent or it can be any throw attack.

Vs. Ende

Basic: make aerial recovery for 3 or more times.

Advanced: make aerial recovery for 5 or more times.

Vs. Sophia

Basic: perform slip shift for 3 or more times (only on quick style).

Advanced: perform slip shift for 6 or more times (only on quick style).

Vs. Shizuka

Basic: successfully land counter burst for 3 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land counter burst for 3 or more times and finish your opponent off with the counter burst.

Vs. Mei

Vs. Ren

Advanced: land a 20 hit combo attack.

Vs. M

Basic: after protection, successfully land counter attack for 2 or more times (only on hard style).

Advanced: after protection, successfully land counter attack for 3 or more times (only on hard style).

Vs. Infinity

Advanced: defeat Infinity.

There's no basic goal for this scene, just defeating Infinity gives you 3 starts. Defeating Infinity at this scene will unlock the "Situation battle mode: Gaito" achievement. Also, Rimi will be unlocked as a playable character.

Shizuka

Vs. Mei

Basic: successfully land specials for 5 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land specials for 5 or more times and finish your opponent off with the special.

Vs. Ren

Basic: successfully land dash attack which has cancelled a normal attack for 2 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land dash attack which has cancelled a normal attack for 2 or more times and finish your opponent off with the dash attack.

Note: this means that you have to cancel a regular attack (L, M or H) with a dash attack.

Vs. Sophia

Basic: successfully perform counterbalance for 5 or more times.

Advanced: successfully perform counterbalance for 10 or more times.

Vs. Ende

Basic: perform protection for 3 or more times (only on hard style).

Advanced: perform protection for 6 or more times (only on hard style).

Vs. Gaito

Basic: activate emergency mode once.

Advanced: activate emergency mode for 3 or more times.

Vs. Infinity

Vs. Cocoa

Basic: land a 10 hit combo attack.

Advanced: land a 15 hit combo attack.

Vs. M

Basic: after slip shift, successfully land counter attack for 2 or more times (only on quick style).

Advanced: after slip shift, successfully land counter attack for 3 or more times (only on quick style).

Vs. Ria

Basic: successfully land heavy specials which have cancelled light/medium specials for 2 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land heavy specials which have cancelled light/medium specials for 2 or more times and finish your opponent off with the heavy special.

Vs. Tokiya

Basic: land a 20 hit combo attack.

Defeating Tokiya at this scene will unlock the "Situation battle mode: Shizuka" achievement.

Vs. L

Advanced: defeat L.

There's no basic goal for this scene, just defeating L gives you 3 starts. Defeating L will unlock her as a playable character. To use her, select M as your character, then when selecting your style, input left.

Ende

Vs. Gaito

Basic: successfully land specials for 5 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land specials for 5 or more times and finish your opponent off with the special.

Vs. Cocoa

Basic: successfully land dash attack which has cancelled a normal attack for 2 or more times.

Advanced: successfully land dash attack which has cancelled a normal attack for 2 or more times and finish your opponent off with the dash attack.

Vs. Infinity

Basic: reflect your opponent's attacks for 3 or more times (use Ende's special).

Advanced: reflect your opponent's attacks for 5 or more times (use Ende's special).

Vs. Ren

Basic: successfully perform counterbalance for 10 or more times.

Vs. Ria

Basic: perform protection for 3 or more times (only on hard style).

Advanced: perform protection for 6 or more times (only on hard style).

Vs. Sophia

Basic: activate emergency mode once.

Advanced: activate emergency mode for 3 or more times.

Vs. Shizuka

Vs. Waka

Vs. Mikoto

Basic: after slip shift, successfully land counter attack for 2 or more times (only on quick style).

Advanced: after slip shift, successfully land counter attack for 3 or more times (only on quick style).

Vs. Fin

Advanced: defeat Fin.

There's no basic goal for this scene, just defeating Fin gives you 3 starts. Defeating Fin at this scene will unlock the "Situation battle mode: Ende" achievement. Also, Kurisu will be unlocked as a playable character.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, I got stuck on my last achievement:

a7

100:gsicon:

完全クリア!

シチュエーションバトルモードの全シーンをクリアする (Situation Battle Mode Cleared)

At first I thought I missed something, then I realize the achievement got glitched.

I moved my old save file on backup memory stick and started the game with a new file. I had to redo all of the Situation Battle scenarios for it to finally unlock.

FYI, I ran through all Situation Battle scenarios in one go, without touching Arcade, Multiplayer etc.

I had the same issue; it didn't pop the first time, did everything in one sitting and it worked. Thanks for the tip.

• 7 months later...

As of V1.03 Shizuka's Down Heavy special is glitched, she will end up floating midair and will be stuck there, getting hit by your opponent is the only way to free her from being stuck. If you kill the opponent with the move then Shizuka will just float there and the match won't end, you can't pause or anything and have to quit to dashboard.