Played 20 Hours, Still Level 1! unsure Where to put perks..

flipdog666

Ok so I`ve played for about 20 hours now, I would be a Level 22 red guard if i Level`d up my character, But i`m not sure where i want to put my perks, I use one handed and destruction magic mostly, I haven`t tried out any other magic lol. So i`m basically wanting some help on leveling my character, making him slightly overpowered. So i f someone could assist me with an awesome build I would be Greatly appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Race makes almost no difference on builds, they are mostly cosmetic.

The only decision you must make when leveling is your magika/health/stamina increase. Perks can be saved, I have like 17 that I haven't found a place for yet. You should put points into smithing (heavy), alchemy, enchanting, and the weapon you want to use. See the stuck thread on the smithing exploit.

Magic perks aren't especially useful. If you sneak, illusion silent casting is a must. If you intend to use dual destruction casting, the dual cast and stagger are essential.

Depends how you want to play if your going for mage based put 10 in health 10 in magika & 2 in stamina. or if your going one/two handed/ archery put 10 in health, 10 in stamina & 2 in Magika

For perks i'd reccomend sinking points into the first perks in heavy/ light armour as you take less damage & also sink points in smithing (To the right, Heavy) as the dragonbone armor at later levels is amazing.

Also unlock any in speechcraft to the left of the tree, as you can soon invest in merchants & fence goods to them, some merchants can have 10k gold so no more tedious trekking to sell goods

Get the upgrades for the one handed/ 2 handed/ archery doing more damage too as you''l pack more of a punch or unlock to apprentice spells in destruction magic & unlock dual casting & the 2 perks for fire/ shock/ frost whatever you prefer

Don't sink points into Lockpicking/ alteration/ illusion/ conjuration/ pretty useless unless your playing more specialized

Putting points into alchemy/ enchanting is ok if you like creating that kind of stuff but you can manage without it by buying the potions & putting mediocre echantments on weapons tbh

Same goes for sneak/ pickpocketing you can play as a sneaky charachter & manage without putting in any points in their respective skill trees

I haven't put any points into the armor perks, with the exploit armor, I hardly take any physical damage. My light armor effective armor without shield is over 500 (not the cap but close enough). There is really no pressure to use any perks, so don't stress too much about them.

Stamina is really helpful. Magika can be less useful if you use enchanted items to reduce casting costs to 0. There is a max of 2 schools at one time you can do that for (helm, body, amulet, and ring with two 25% spell cost reduction effects). I felt like 350 health was sufficient but you might want to go 400+ if you will be going toe-to-toe.

Alchemy is horrible, all you need is restoration novice and regeneration. Apprentice + fast healing is only necessary around lvl 40+ and atronach stone is the best stone for mages. If you want to be conservative on perks lightning isn't as useful as fire and ice. Bound sword and bow are useful under conjuration.

With 21 perks i would do

Restoration: Novice, Regen, Recovery 1, Respite if you fight a lot

Destruction: Novice, apprentice, adept, dual, impact, fire 2/2, ice2/2, deep freeze

One handed: Armsman (all 5 eventually), fighting stance, crit charge, savage strike

Sneak: 20% harder, 50% muffle

What ever armor you use the first perk is the only really good one besides fists of steel and weightless heavy armor

Optional if you prefer real weapons

Conjuration: Novice, mystic binding, soul stealer

I would only suggest power leveling smith and enchant to whatever you want AFTER lvl 30

I use the ring of Namira for extra stamina and bonus health, shrine of arkay for 25 health. I leave my magic at 300 tops and use enchanting for % drops when things start getting more annoying

like others mentioned its all about your playstyle. i was doing the same thing as you when i first started with this game, just lvling up and saving perks until i understood the game more.

i personally like to use my favorite one handed weapon, accompanied with heal or whatever spell you fancy. some people do better with dual weilding, while others use both hands for magic. its really whatever you prefer / and are successful with.

if you like to use destruction magic (like you mentioned), then for sure get started on that skill tree. if nothing else, atleast buy the basic core parts of the perk tree (cast novice lvl magic for half mana).

depending on weather you use one or two handed weapons, lvl up that skill tree. dont be afraid to just spam perks all over, you can lvl up a LOT in this game. so if you play to its full potential, im hearing people reach lvl 80 and such. at that point you can pretty much fill almost all the trees, atleast i would think so:p

I´m having the opposite problem, I can´t get enough perks for everything i want XDXD

Anyway, you should pick perks base on your playstyle as the comments above suggest. There´s no "better" path really, just the one that works better on you.

If you have use one of the three stones in the beginning, just after tutorial, you should already decide which "class" do you prefer or relay the most, stick to that one and choose wherever suits you. It´s recommend that you choose perks that will come handy in combat first, and once you are leveled enough you can start on the other ones.

Magic takes too much time to be truly useful and you should invest in every school, not just specialize. Destruction has been downgrade in comparation to previous installments on the series by the way, so that only magic skill three will not make you an efficient mage.

Sneak is the one that level up really fast, but there´s no weapon attached.

Combat itself may be a good option, as most of the skill trees are weapons related and you can focus on just one, while mages and thieves/assassins should invest in more trees.

More damage on the weapon you use it´s pretty much a sure "go for it", other than that it´s just what you want depending on the skills you use the most. That´s actually one good way to choose perks, go choosing the ones in skill trees that you´re leveling up at the moment and become a master of that skill. And just in case, you don´t need all the perks of a tree to maximize, keep that in mine so you don´t suffer from what I did, choosing perks that I really didn´t want but were on a skill tree I do put to use often, mainly because there are no reset perks option, once you choose, you stick with that perk forever.