Whats the point of the guide if...

WAHsu

The maps you guys use for it, are hosted on a free hosting site and the bandwidth has exceeded, thus making it impossible to view it.

I know I should have just saved it, but I did not and it has been 4 days now that it has not been available.

This is not the only time this has happened. Its happened a few time, too many times.

This is in my opinion is unacceptable.

Whoever runs this site cannot afford an account to host images? If true, why even put a map in the guide.

Hopefully this gets addressed asap, b/c this is a great site, but its becoming tiresome for me to keep coming back just to be royally disappointed in the end.

The specific map I speak of is the Stevie's 30-Car txt msg one.

The maps you guys use for it, are hosted on a free hosting site and the bandwidth has exceeded, thus making it impossible to view it.

I just checked and all the pictures (except the Stevie's cars map) are working just fine (as you mentioned.) This doesn't ruin the guide or destroy it in any way as the map is still viewable if you go to the profile of the creator (which I believe wasn't Khaos or a member of the site) you can still find the picture, Photobucket simply won't allow you to directly link to it once the bandwidth has run past.

If you need a map you could do a quick google search and find a few dozen.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k194/juggalo509/Car-Map.png

I know I should have just saved it, but I did not and it has been 4 days now that it has not been available.

The site Photobucket has a one month timer on the reset of the bandwidth of every free profile. This doesn't mean that it will come back at the end of the month but on the one month to the day based off when they signed up.

Theoretically it could come back tomorrow, or in twenty days.

This is not the only time this has happened. Its happened a few time, too many times.

When else has this happened? Can you give any examples that really destroyed your progress into a game's achievement points?

Whoever runs this site cannot afford an account to host images? If true, why even put a map in the guide.

RoutineX runs the site, and no, he can't afford to host every single picture on the site whenever someone wants to add one to the site. Khaos isn't the creator of the site, he made a guide and gave it to the people. The one picture that isn't working (as mentioned above) isn't even hosted by Khaos.

And are you seriously saying that just because one picture doesn't work that the entire site should just give up on adding pictures to their guides in fear of them never working 100% of the time?

Hopefully this gets addressed asap, b/c this is a great site, but its becoming tiresome for me to keep coming back just to be royally disappointed in the end.

The specific map I speak of is the Stevie's 30-Car txt msg one.

The site has other uses other than just GTA and there are other ways to do the car messages, if you really wanted to do it the way R* intended you could use the info you get from the text messages to find the cars yourself.

Clearly DrNo has addressed it all but my question to you is:

How is it unacceptable?

You use a free site that you get to visit because of the people that pay to run it. Do you have a right to complain, with all of 16 posts? A simple suggestion would have been better than saying you were offended by the failure of a non-profit site to fulfill your needs. Why should we have money to pay for it when we are already paying for the entire site to run? Why don't you pay for it? Sorry we couldn't be of more service.

Refer to DrNo's post for actual help. I know I came on strong, but this isn't just against you. It's to everyone.

Thank you DRNo for the excellent reply. I was not aware that i could go to photobucket and view his photo album. Thanks.

But now, if I just went and googled it, would that not defeat the purpose of even coming here? Thus making you have less of a visitor base... maybe thats better for the site, I don't know nor do I want to discuss that further more.

With regards to the other bandwidth exceeded incidents, I do not remember what games it was, but it was a while ago. But it has happened a few times that has irritated me. But i did get over it.

I fully understand the site's perspective on not being able to host your own images due to bandwidth, I just thought that they would do a little more to insure that when you have a link to an image, its not a bandwidth exceeded sign.

As to the unacceptable comment. you must understand that I've been growing impatient with this problem. 4 days and still its not up... So maybe I vented a little more than I should have.

Reguarding my post count, what does that have to do with anything.

Anyways, I don't want to start a war, I was just unhappy and wanting a response, which I got and am happy now.

Sorry my bad, I will go now.

The problem does not lie with the site, it relies with the people who host these maps on free image sites. The average person uses garbagebucket or some other limiting site. I try to find/use sites that always offer unlimited, or close too.

for example, I have used www.imgboot.com for hosting my AWP achievement checklist. This iste offers UNLIMITED bandwidth, no picture removal if accessed once a year (acceptable) and allows hotlinking. The downfall is for the free account, it only allowes a resolution of 1280x1280 or smaller. Now my checklist is small enough, so its the perfect site. Actually most peoples images are smaller then this, so this site can be used for almost all maps

For my pigeon maps, I use www.uploadingit.com. This site does not have a resolution restriction (or it might, but its really high) and allows 1GB of bandwidth transfer a day per account. I only have the 2 maps on it and it takes about 900mb of bandwidth a day, so again perfect. And if it ever does go over, its usually at the end of the day, and the bandwidth is reset the very next day.

Now some times, especially maps on this site, you will need more then 2gb a day of bandiwdth, and high resolutions. I was using www.xs.to but they banned me. I have no clue why but I think it may be because the pigeon maps because it says in their faq no uploading of maps of any kind (but I was under the impression they meant real life maps, like google maps etc). Either way I will not use xs.to anymore since they can remove your stuff for no reason. They do have unlimited bandwidth and resolution tho.

Another site is imageshack.us. Imageshack went from the best site ever, to piece of crap, to a moderate site. Now it offers a respectable resolution and file size limit thats good for everything, but they only offer 300mb an hour. this means if you have a 2mb map file, you will run out of bandwidth if 150 people view it, which for sure is gonna happen. The good news is that it will be back in 1 hour or less. Still not ideal however.

Then there is www.mediafire.com and http://www.nakido.com/. Both offer unlimited everything just about with no limits. Unfortunetly you cant hotlink. A good backup however.

And heres a couple I have not yet tried but found through google. They seem to offer unlimited everything with hotlinking (or at least a thumbnail). Might want to give these a shot

http://www.freeimagehost.eu/ and http://www.imagevenue.com/

The solution has to start with everyone who uploads images onto the internet. People need to realize photobucket is a social networking image hoster, not an image hoster to relink to forums and whatnot. Photobucket has hit the internet with the same impact that rapidshare has. Both are extremely popular, but are crap compared to the competition, and people just need to learn to use the others.

Another problem with free image hosts is they always start out good at first (like a few mentioned above) and after the gain popularity, they implament heavy limits and pay plans. So its pretty rare to stay with 1 image host for more then a couple years, as once they go commercial and $ lights up in their eyes, its time to move to the next new guy, whos offering it all for free.

Impressive reply 007craft.

I personally use PhotoBucket, but its a paid account.

007craft has shown that there is sites out there that the owners could look into that would secure their images, as to prevent further topics like this being made and any frustration that may be included.