Shred boxes messing up my combo meter

halfiepint

I'm trying to get to the 777 and 999 combo. I play and NEVER miss a note, until I get to those god damn shred boxes!

I play the shred box like a normal note and, it resets my combo meter to zero.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I play them so they don't reset my combo meter? Thanks.

I had the same problem. I don't really understand how these work, but it seems you have to keep strumming the note at the right speed. If I hit them once I mess up my streak, same when I strum it too much.

Luckily it's really easy, but pretty boring to get on am i evil, holy wars and a third random song on beginner.

On shred boxes, you have to strum as fast as you can for the length of the shred box. The best way to do it is to wait for a tiny bit after you are into the box before you start strumming like crazy, and end the rapid strumming a little bit before the box is over. That way you don't mess up your combo. It explains this concept in the guitar tutorial; all you have to do is strum as fast as you can, so that the box doesn't shrink. If it does shrink all of the way before you are done with it, then you will lose your streak.

The best way to do it is to wait for a tiny bit after you are into the box before you start strumming like crazy, and end the rapid strumming a little bit before the box is over.

Ah this could have been my mistake. I always tried strumming as fast as possible right from the beginning and most often lost my streak. I thought it was because I was strumming too fast but it seems I should have waited a bit. But to be honest, I still see no point in these things. They don't help you at all.

• 3 years later...