Is Madden still the king of Football games or has the tide changed?

Cooljoe

Madden 07 - 1.82m NCAA 07 - 0.70m

Madden 08 - 2.35m NCAA 08 - 0.68m

Madden 09 - 2.46m NCAA 09 - 0.68m

Madden 10 - 2.75m NCAA 10 - 0.91m

Madden 11 - 2.47m NCAA 11 - 0.84m

As you can see from the total sales, Madden is still the king of football games. I do like the gameplay in NCAA better than that of Madden though. But that is just me.

NCAA has been the better game, in my opinion, for a while now. Madden basically abandoned the Superstar mode after '08, and it's been stripped down every year since. Fantasy Challenge was really fun in that game too, and they just forgot about it in the following years. NCAA, on the other hand, has been improving RTG every year, in my opinion. While getting rid of the evening activities kind of irked me, it seems for the better, as the skill purchasing system is quite good. Franchise mode has been the same one-dimensional thing every year for a long time now, yet it's still marketed as the selling point for every new Madden game, while Dynasty has been steadily getting better. IMO, recruiting is as much fun, if not more, than playing in the games themselves, and the coaching contract system this year is pretty cool. And yeah, the playbooks are better too. It's nice to actually be able to throw some options into the fray without having my quarterback get injured all the time. If Madden would actually do something besides upgrading the graphics and tackling system every year, they might get back into my collection, but for now, I'm sticking with NCAA.

Hell, I'm rather have a new Head Coach game, but that's not happening. Guess I just like the office stuff more than the gameday stuff.

NCAA playbooks are more fun. Madden feels like the exact same plays every year since 2007. And Gus Johnson was awful in last year's Madden, sounded forced and highly annoying.:eek:

Agree. Hate Gus and Chris isn't much better. Hell I never even heard of Gus Johnson until he was in Madden and I watch NFL games. I guess he doesn't do games in my TV market.

NCAA has been the better game, in my opinion, for a while now. Madden basically abandoned the Superstar mode after '08, and it's been stripped down every year since. Fantasy Challenge was really fun in that game too, and they just forgot about it in the following years. NCAA, on the other hand, has been improving RTG every year, in my opinion. While getting rid of the evening activities kind of irked me, it seems for the better, as the skill purchasing system is quite good. Franchise mode has been the same one-dimensional thing every year for a long time now, yet it's still marketed as the selling point for every new Madden game, while Dynasty has been steadily getting better. IMO, recruiting is as much fun, if not more, than playing in the games themselves, and the coaching contract system this year is pretty cool. And yeah, the playbooks are better too. It's nice to actually be able to throw some options into the fray without having my quarterback get injured all the time. If Madden would actually do something besides upgrading the graphics and tackling system every year, they might get back into my collection, but for now, I'm sticking with NCAA.

Hell, I'm rather have a new Head Coach game, but that's not happening. Guess I just like the office stuff more than the gameday stuff.

I agree with what you are saying but I would like NCAA to add probations to recruiting. Like you can try to break rules to recruit but there is a chance you will get caught and punished. And the punishments could be similar to real NCAA sanctions . I think it would spice recruiting up some.

Sorry for getting off the topic

I agree with what you are saying but I would like NCAA to add probations to recruiting. Like you can try to break rules to recruit but there is a chance you will get caught and punished. And the punishments could be similar to real NCAA sanctions . I think it would spice recruiting up some.

Sorry for getting off the topic

they would never do that, they want to be as separated as possible from the under the table recruiting

• 2 months later...

Never really played NCAA, but college ball isn't really popular here. When I watch it on television I find it rather slow...passes don't seem to get caught as often, rushes never go quite as far...etc. Less exciting, imo.

NFL, however, is everywhere here. So I'll stick to Madden. :)

Edit: FYI, For all you NCAA fans...the games are broadcast on that ESPN app on Xbox...for those of you without cable or access.

Edited by MxPx

• 1 month later...

Last year I bought both games, but after getting NCAA and Madden full acheivement points the only game I still had a desire to play was NCAA. I enjoy the recruiting of players more enjoyable than drafting players and signing contracts. I also enjoy the rankings and conferences vs the playoffs in the video games. Which is odd because I actually enjoy the NFL playoffs more than the BCS system for watching football on TV. I realize Madden sells more, and I think I know why. The one thing about buying Madden out of the box is it comes with real players vs NCAA comes with players names as WR#81 instead of Calvin Johnson like you get in Madden. I always find a named roster to import in, which to me makes NCAA better once I get real player names in NCAA. By the way for 2011 I used the roster from pastapadre.