Best way mto get scratches out of discs?

kentarulez

When I was younger I was careless with my discs, and they got kinda scratched, and I bought The Simpsons game, got 35GS out of it before the game wouldn't work (it was preowned) so I wanna know what the best way to get scratches out of a disk? Possibly the cheapest way too, as I wanna get the full 1,000 out of it, and trade it in, I really don't wanna have to re rent it again, when I have a copy at home, any help is appreciated.

i dont know i have 10 blockbuster withing 10 miles of my house and none of them have a disk clean machine. If not try your local music store sometimes they will have one

u could take it in to blockbuster the one by my place has a machine that cleans the disk it works real good im sure most blockbusters have them so id say try that

I work at a blockbuster and we don't have a machine. Only one to Slay the discs for when we destroy them. Though we do sell some stuff in a tube that's supposed to repair discs we've never tried it.

My recommendation? Toothpaste. I've done it a ton of times and you'd be surprised. Smear some toothpaste on it (paste, not gel) and with a soft cloth that doesn't have lint wipe from the inside ring out. DO NOT GO IN CIRCLES YOU WILL DESTROY THE DATA. After you wipe it off, rinse it off under water and gently pat dry. Pop the game in and you'll be surprised at how well it actually works. =) I used to use pledge and do the same thing, but that leaves it greasy. Toothpaste has saved many discs for me and my friends. (including my friends unplayable Beautiful Katamari which works now)

If your in the UK, nearly all Game stores have a disc repair machine tha actually does work, it even worked when my COD4 got the massive ring around it. it was only about £3 too.
I'll try out my Blockbusters (go in after school one day and ask) then if nt, I'll get the train to GAME (the town/city it's in nearest, not the actual store, lol) thanks guys.

I work at a blockbuster and we don't have a machine. Only one to Slay the discs for when we destroy them. Though we do sell some stuff in a tube that's supposed to repair discs we've never tried it.

My recommendation? Toothpaste. I've done it a ton of times and you'd be surprised. Smear some toothpaste on it (paste, not gel) and with a soft cloth that doesn't have lint wipe from the inside ring out. DO NOT GO IN CIRCLES YOU WILL DESTROY THE DATA. After you wipe it off, rinse it off under water and gently pat dry. Pop the game in and you'll be surprised at how well it actually works. =) I used to use pledge and do the same thing, but that leaves it greasy. Toothpaste has saved many discs for me and my friends. (including my friends unplayable Beautiful Katamari which works now)

Dude i fucking love you (no joke) my DiRT works again. You desevere a hug.

Again thanks for the help!

Dude i fucking love you (no joke) my DiRT works again. You desevere a hug.

Again thanks for the help!

You're Welcome. ;) Glad I could help.

I've used Brasso before Vann, its pretty good like you said, i've always just used toothpaste because it is just a bunch cheaper and you can use it for far more things. I've also used turtle wax, but that one is kinda sketchy because you've gotta buff the cd and the wax is usually a temporary fix.

this will sound stupid but what do you mean by "smear"? as in squeeze it on, or ut it on some cloth, or what? (for the toothepaste one) and how much do you use?

whenever one of my games gets messed up i go to blockbuster, rent the same game and swap the discs,

I may try that as a last resort.....but not quite that desperate yet.

Edited by kentarulez

whenever one of my games gets messed up i go to blockbuster, rent the same game and swap the discs,

So you switch your scratched game for an even more scratched one from Blockbusters? ..also this doesn't work.. Blockbuster's have special labels on their games and will know its wrong if they get back one with imagery on it (they do near me anyway).

You can just do the scratches and not worry about the places where it isn't scratched. There is videos on Youtube showing how to do it, just search for "Fixing CDs with toothpaste". The only thing I don't like about the videos is when they go in circles around the disc, that's a good way to kill the CD. If you're going to do it work from the middle out and make sure you use paste and not gel toothpaste.

@ Ashzor: The Blockbuster I work at we don't have labels on the disc. We get a lot of discs back that people either switch, or they stand their 360 up and we get the ring around the disc. (My Store Manager always says that its from them trying to burn it but she doesn't know anything about games)

@ Ashzor: The Blockbuster I work at we don't have labels on the disc. We get a lot of discs back that people either switch, or they stand their 360 up and we get the ring around the disc. (My Store Manager always says that its from them trying to burn it but she doesn't know anything about games)

Damn ;o

The one down the road from me.. all their games/movies have specially printed Blockbuster Discs that are normaly just plain blue/yellow with the name of the movie/game.

My dad used to do the Blockbuster deal where you could pay monthly and get 3 movies sent to you at a time.. and as soon as you returned them they sent the next 3 on your list out.. so you could get 6 a day potentially.. So he was just burning them then returning them.. and he accidently put the blank copy back in the case rather then the original and they phoned him up to go down there and switch it over lol..

Must just be the Blockbusters near me that are very viligante ;p

Damn ;o

The one down the road from me.. all their games/movies have specially printed Blockbuster Discs that are normaly just plain blue/yellow with the name of the movie/game.

My dad used to do the Blockbuster deal where you could pay monthly and get 3 movies sent to you at a time.. and as soon as you returned them they sent the next 3 on your list out.. so you could get 6 a day potentially.. So he was just burning them then returning them.. and he accidently put the blank copy back in the case rather then the original and they phoned him up to go down there and switch it over lol..

Must just be the Blockbusters near me that are very viligante ;p

Might just be a UK thing? We have the actual discs.

I know we have customers that do that too lol. Don't blame 'em. I get some free rentals every week so no need for me.

Sounds like they are a lot more vigilant there for sure.