Worth buying?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah but Dantes Inferno was terrible.. this is not =P

To answer the op's question, it's pretty much a hack & slash (think Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, etc.), but there are also side scrolling stages as well. Honestly, I've never really cared for games like those as they got boring pretty quickly to me, but I'd been interested in El Shaddai since I saw a couple screen shots in a Game Informer a while ago, so I downloaded the demo back when it was released and found I really enjoyed it. It dropped to $20 recently so I finally picked up a copy this weekend (I'd been waiting for it to drop from $60).

The art style is so incredible. Every stage is different and just in the first two chapters alone, I found myself stopped along the path just staring at the backgrounds. Hell, even the pause menu gets mesmerizing after a minute or two lol.

Honestly, you should just download the demo on xbox live. It can tell you a lot more about the game than I can convey to you through a message board post =P

Also, http://elshaddaigame.com/us/index.html

• 2 months later...

Hope this isn't too late in reaching you, but do NOT buy this game. This is based solely on my experiences with the game. It's pretty, that's it. The story is so absurd and confusing it's not worth trying to understand. I didn't even want to play through it all the way once, let alone go back and get the extra stuff. They hook you with the gimmick of flashy visuals, but look past that and the combat is boring, platforming is most of the time frustrating, and often infuriating. I was incredibly bored almost the entire game, not worth it in my opinion. Rent it, look at the pretty colors, that's all there is to be had from this game.

• 4 weeks later...
Hope this isn't too late in reaching you, but do NOT buy this game. This is based solely on my experiences with the game. It's pretty, that's it. The story is so absurd and confusing it's not worth trying to understand. I didn't even want to play through it all the way once, let alone go back and get the extra stuff. They hook you with the gimmick of flashy visuals, but look past that and the combat is boring, platforming is most of the time frustrating, and often infuriating. I was incredibly bored almost the entire game, not worth it in my opinion. Rent it, look at the pretty colors, that's all there is to be had from this game.

Couldn't agree more with you. This game is one of the prettiest, but yet dullest games I've ever played. Walk through a long corridor, jump a few times, a fight, walk through a slightly different corridor, jump in a slightly different pattern, a harder fight. Repeat ad naseum :(

• 2 weeks later...

If you can find it cheap enough it's definately worth experiencing for being so unique.

It has a great visual style and the story is actually quite deep though apparently lost on some.

Considering you can pick this up for like 20 of your American Earth dollars now you have no excuse for not at least giving it a go.

Az

• 1 month later...

probably way too late to matter, but game can be found for $15 brand new and even at that low low price I'd still say its not worth it.

short reason: not enjoyable or satisfying. Has a major bug.

tl:dr reasons: El Shaddai as a game is pretty dull and uninspired. If you're not jumping platforms, you're fighting enemies. The platforming is dullsville and annoying when done in 3-d. The fighting is ok, but there's not much variety there so it too gets dull fast. The story is hard to follow and borderline incomprehensible at times. The visuals aren't even pretty to look at although the game is trying its damnedest to look and be what people would consider 'art'. You have to play through half the game before it decides it wants to break up the monotony and start doing interesting things.

the 360 version also features a bug that results in insufferably long pauses every time you break an object or kill an enemy and it won't go away unless you retrieve your gamertag. I know because this happened to me.

Yeah but Dantes Inferno was terrible.. this is not =P

I hope you mean "terrible" as in whole stage devoted to sexual innuendo, enemies that are babies, and a final boss with his junk flopping around in your face, because if you're saying Dante's is a shittier game than El Shaddai BAWHAHAHAHAH! that's a good one!

• 6 months later...
EDIT

Thought it was free but it was the demo. This game isn't on GoD outside the US.

Currently it is available in Canada. So I guess the GoD sale is a NA only sale.

Oh well, is $2.99 worth the price for El Shaddai? Never seen a sale on a game go this low on Live.

Is the combat okay? Is the campaign long? Strangely, I'm looking for a no for the length, I want it to be beatable by the end of the day.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Okay. No don't buy it. I am very angry. I got this game from eBay and today I put it into my 360. I go to medium. I die almost straight away. So it tells me to hit buttons to come back to life. I do so, how long do I have to be tapping for? So I try to skip. Doesn't allow me to so try again and nothing. So dashboard it and try again on easy I live for a little longer. There is no help what so ever you die fast. It'll make you want to stab the asshole who did the controls or gameplay for this game.