Webb x360a has Skyrim!

I'm pretty sure he has a legal obligation to not tell us to much unless it's in a review. If he's playing the game now it means he has a reviews copy and we will get his opinion when he is done. (It's possible they have to wait til the 10th to post their review, I'm not sure.)

If the game has an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) then yes the review will only be allowed to be released the day before/on the day the game comes out. However usually NDA's are put in place for games that they think will get a bad review (not always but more often than not) and thus sell less due to people reading said review. I dont believe Skyrim could get a bad review.

Only time will tell though.

If the game has an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) then yes the review will only be allowed to be released the day before/on the day the game comes out. However usually NDA's are put in place for games that they think will get a bad review (not always but more often than not) and thus sell less due to people reading said review. I dont believe Skyrim could get a bad review.

Only time will tell though.

I'm pretty sure Skyrim will get a fantastic review. If it doesn't, then Bethesda will have seriously done something wrong. Which I'm gonna say is highly unlikely. Skyrim will become a GotY edition once all dlc has been released.

I'll be incredibly shocked if Skyrim doesn't get a 10 from nearly every reviewer. (or 5 depending on the rating system)

It probably will get, but not because it's that good, but because most reviewers will go mainstream and praise that game simply because its from Bethesda and its an Elder Scrolls.

Real Elder Scrolls fans would never give a 10 to this game. Never. People who watched this series evolve from Daggerfall to Morrowind to Oblivion know it better than most of the reviewers.

People who found Morrowind too hard/complicated or never heard about it will say its amazing, they won't see how it is bad because they found Oblivion to be glorious.

-"Wow, there are Dragons, and you can dual wield spells and weapons, must be best game ever made!"

But those who played and enjoyed Morrowind have the ability to recognize what shit Oblivion was and how not-much-better Skyrim is going to be.

-"Empty map again, compass and fast travel, even more RPG elemets are taken away. It's still good, but compared to back then, it is a casual shitfest. Funny to see how bethesda is struggling(or do they even want?) to improve on their earlier games, instead they dumb them down every time."

We live in the year 2011, almost 2012 now, and our top western RPG are full of nothing(see also Mass Effect 2 and Fable3). Casual nothing. I am ashamed. More is possible, I think bethesda is just incompetent. If I had the resourcess and a team of devs, I'd do 20 times better.

If having a compass or being able to fast-travel makes a game less enjoyable for you, the simple solution would be to not use them. It's like people bitching in the Halo Anniversary forum because they added achievements to the game; it changes the game in no way in the sense you can play the game however you wish to play it. If the game is so casual for you, then abandon the "casual" tools that Bethesda provided to its players. Problem solved.

"Wow, there are Dragons, and you can dual wield spells and weapons, must be best game ever made!"

Nice try, but no cigar.

compared to back then, it is a casual shitfest. Funny to see how bethesda is struggling(or do they even want?) to improve on their earlier games, instead they dumb them down every time."

You say the problem lies within the developers and I'd half agree. Though, the real problem is with the newer generations of gamers. More of the general populace are playing video games now and days, and truth be told, a GREAT portion of the general populace are fucking morons.

Developers are merely conforming to the demands of our Retarded Society. Don't 100% put the blame on them because they desire their game to sell. If you had that group of people, (that you claim could do SO much better), and after investing 'x' amount of dollars and time into the game, you'd probably want it to sell as well, right?

Well, you're not going to out sell the majority or general populace. Sure there are still hardcore gamers out there and wish and pray for such a game. But the truth is, those days are most likely long gone. You'll have to take what you can get and every now and again a bold developer will say, "Fuck the retarded general populace, we're making the game the way WE want to." And they will. People will buy it, but guaranteed that Elder Scrolls V will out sell it, with absolutely no problem.

All of that being said, just enjoy what we have. If you TRULY wish to see gaming improve, become a Sociologist and contribute to making Western Civilization smarter. Eventually video games will just move in the right direction... along with many other issues of today.

It's funny when people try to claim one generation is universally dumber than the next. people must have been very smart in the ancient world since they were apparently complaining about the same thing meaning it's been spiraling downward since the dawn of mankind.

Video games are not getting easier because players are getting dumber... players are getting "dumber" (in a gaming sense) because games are getting easier. What is the difference you say?

What everyone is trying to claim is that video game companies are going, "oh no! our fanbase has become a bunch of vegetables we need to remove all difficulty."

in reality what is happening is programming is getting better which allows for programmers to simplify things.

Look back at NES games, yeah they are incredibly hard, but if you truly think about it they aren't hard because programmers were somehow magically better at making difficult, they are harder because they are less playable, most of the difficulty is what you would call fake difficult caused by stiffer controls, unfair obstacles, and a lack of instructional and story based dialogue.

Not to mention your logic is completely flawed in the first place. Explain to me how removing a levitation spell is "dumbing the game down." or combining upper and lower body armor.

Do you honestly think they added the compass system (which you can disable in this game if you want to, morons...) with the intention of dumbing the game down? NO they added it for better interface since they have the technology now to do so.

it's amusing how you talk about idiot casual gamers (and casual gamers usually are pretty simplistic, it explains why they play casually instead of religiously) while making such flawed comments yourselves.

as someone said before, if you really pine that much for the old days go Play Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind. Stop telling the kids to get off your damn lawn.

It's funny when people try to claim one generation is universally dumber than the next. people must have been very smart in the ancient world since they were apparently complaining about the same thing meaning it's been spiraling downward since the dawn of mankind.

Video games are not getting easier because players are getting dumber... players are getting "dumber" (in a gaming sense) because games are getting easier. What is the difference you say?

What everyone is trying to claim is that video game companies are going, "oh no! our fanbase has become a bunch of vegetables we need to remove all difficulty."

in reality what is happening is programming is getting better which allows for programmers to simplify things.

Look back at NES games, yeah they are incredibly hard, but if you truly think about it they aren't hard because programmers were somehow magically better at making difficult, they are harder because they are less playable, most of the difficulty is what you would call fake difficult caused by stiffer controls, unfair obstacles, and a lack of instructional and story based dialogue.

Not to mention your logic is completely flawed in the first place. Explain to me how removing a levitation spell is "dumbing the game down." or combining upper and lower body armor.

Do you honestly think they added the compass system (which you can disable in this game if you want to, morons...) with the intention of dumbing the game down? NO they added it for better interface since they have the technology now to do so.

it's amusing how you talk about idiot casual gamers (and casual gamers usually are pretty simplistic, it explains why they play casually instead of religiously) while making such flawed comments yourselves.

as someone said before, if you really pine that much for the old days go Play Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind. Stop telling the kids to get off your damn lawn.

i believe this qualifies for quote of the day-- no, quote of the month.

Well here we go, everything answered for your simple brain to understand what I mean:

"It's funny when people try to claim one generation is universally dumber than the next. people must have been very smart in the ancient world since they were apparently complaining about the same thing meaning it's been spiraling downward since the dawn of mankind."

--Never said this, I only said that bethesda somehow managed to create good RPGs earlier and nowadays they are full of nothing.

"Video games are not getting easier because players are getting dumber... players are getting "dumber" (in a gaming sense) because games are getting easier. What is the difference you say?"

--Well that may be true, but you better wish it wasn't about the devs but about the fanbase getting dumber, otheriwse it would prove how incompetent Bethesda has become.

--Because you only have to look at those casual no-brains to see that they cannot handle a game where they have to think for thems elves even in one quest.

"in reality what is happening is programming is getting better which allows for programmers to simplify things."

--May be true, but that doesn't mean that they can create games full of nothing now, does it?

"Look back at NES games, yeah they are incredibly hard, but if you truly think about it they aren't hard because programmers were somehow magically better at making difficult, they are harder because they are less playable, most of the difficulty is what you would call fake difficult caused by stiffer controls, unfair obstacles, and a lack of instructional and story based dialogue."

--What? I played the NES back then. All the good games had perfectly fine controls, and the difficulty was always hard but fair. How do you come up with this fake difficulty shit. Only because a few games sucked back then doesn't mean all were like this. Take Ninja gaiden for an example. It was that hard on purpose, and not because the devs didn't have the technology to do it better. The controls were very good, and it all depended on your skill.

But...what does that have to do with this topic?

"Not to mention your logic is completely flawed in the first place. Explain to me how removing a levitation spell is "dumbing the game down." or combining upper and lower body armor."

--What, you don't get this? I expect nothing else from you, Scarecrow. How can constantly removing features until the game remains empty be dumbing down? Hmm...I really don't know, man.

They take more and more away.

"Do you honestly think they added the compass system (which you can disable in this game if you want to, morons...) with the intention of dumbing the game down? NO they added it for better interface since they have the technology now to do so."

--Pretty sure in 2001 they also could add a compass into Morrowind, but they rather wanted the player to read the dialogues and find the place by themselves. And now, you don't get discribed where the places are. There is the compass, either you follow it or you disregard it and get lost completely because no-one tells you where to go. This pretty mch seems like catering to idiots to me...

"it's amusing how you talk about idiot casual gamers (and casual gamers usually are pretty simplistic, it explains why they play casually instead of religiously) while making such flawed comments yourselves."

--I don't make flawed comments, man.

"as someone said before, if you really pine that much for the old days go Play Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind. Stop telling the kids to get off your damn lawn."

--I mourn the dead of actual good Elder Scrolls games, thats why I am so mad. Doesn't mean I have to play the same game from 2001 for the rest of my life. I probably will be playing Morrowind now and then long after I am done with Skyrim, just because Morrowind has tons of stuff to offer.

If having a compass or being able to fast-travel makes a game less enjoyable for you, the simple solution would be to not use them. It's like people bitching in the Halo Anniversary forum because they added achievements to the game; it changes the game in no way in the sense you can play the game however you wish to play it. If the game is so casual for you, then abandon the "casual" tools that Bethesda provided to its players. Problem solved.

Nice try, but no cigar.

I don't smoke, and yeah btw I stayed nice here.

About the compass I said before, you are forced to use it now, because no-one explains where to go.

I wonder why you all have to defend this thing the whole time, I don't even say this game sucks, and I don't say I hate it, I am only saying that they could have done so much better, and I am really upset that they keep it that low.

I find your struggle to defend Skyrim against my arguments really painfully.

Edited by Olrox

About the compass I said before, you are forced to use it now, because no-one explains where to go.

How is it you know that Skyrims in game dialog doesn't tell you where to go? last i checked it's not out for almost 2 weeks. :confused:

In the real world you have to navigate with a compass & map so i see no problem with doing the same in a game. I can't say i just always followed the arrows when playing Oblivion...

Edited by H2O

--Because you only have to look at those casual no-brains to see that they cannot handle a game where they have to think for thems elves even in one quest.

I believe the entire game in its essence is the players thinking for themselves. That's the whole selling point of Skyrim to begin with.

"Not to mention your logic is completely flawed in the first place. Explain to me how removing a levitation spell is "dumbing the game down." or combining upper and lower body armor."

--What, you don't get this? I expect nothing else from you, Scarecrow. How can constantly removing features until the game remains empty be dumbing down? Hmm...I really don't know, man.

They take more and more away.

Because the levitation skill is automatically deemed a "feature"? Come, now. And how is combining armor pieces (in this case, greaves & cuirasses) making the game more "empty"? If anything, Bethesda can now put out more armor types and visual varieties since they don't have to worry about clipping issues. When it comes down to it, you're most likely equating nostalgia with adequateness; a big no-no. Besides, you seem to come off as the ultimate most hardcore TES gamer out there, so it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume you're getting this game for the PC as well; a platform that within six months will have hundreds of mods allowing you to implement all your favorite, supposedly long-lost features back into the game.

I wonder why you all have to defend this thing the whole time

And this is different than you having to bash this thing the whole time? Pot calls the kettle black.

I don't even say this game sucks, and I don't say I hate it, I am only saying that they could have done so much better, and I am really upset that they keep it that low.

You could've fooled me when you called this game a "piece of shit" in an earlier post, an earlier post that was kindly deleted by a mod. You just come off as acting as though Skyrim is going to be Duke Nukem's Duke Nukem Forever, a game sequel that was in development for over 10 years where its developers completely lost all motivation to make a great game. You may say that Bethesda has become incompetent or whatever else, but at least they're still passionate about their projects and would expand their focus so all types of players could try their hand at their games. I understand that a certain niche of TES core players will get their feathers ruffled, but at the same time it's good for the franchise overall; more players, a larger contributing community-- and ultimately, more finance for future titles, potentially titles you might come to appreciate.

I just find it very odd that people get so offended just because a skill was taken out, or because a compass was added, or because armor was combined to make room for additional armor types and skins (unique armors). I would like to think that the introduction of over 150+ perks is a positive for the franchise, or the Radiant AI that makes every day in-game a new, completely different experience. I mean, that's what I'll be playing the game for, at least. If you want to play games that simply remind you of older titles, then I suppose you'll be sorely disappointed.

Edited by Kraderic

If that's your opinion (and you are entitled to it) of the Elder Scrolls series, then what must you make of Fable? Seriously dude, I'm not keen on the fact they are combining armour, but as its to make more available, then fine. I'm sure there will be things they have changed from Oblivion, which I probably won't like at first but will have to get used to. Can't comment to much about Morrowind, as I just didn't like it that much. Combat system irritated me to much. But I'm by no means saying it is a bad game, as that would be poppycock! Who knows, you might actually end up liking Skyrim. Time will tell.

Ah, so you disagree with my assessment? Does this mean that you honestly believe that the majority of our Western Society have above average intelligence? Interesting.

You're missing the point.

Do you honestly believe that the overall difficulty decreasing (or becoming more simplistic) is solely due to the notion of, there is better technology and programming in order to do so?

Look back at NES games' date=' yeah they are incredibly hard, but if you truly think about it they aren't hard because programmers were somehow magically better at making difficult, they are harder because they are less playable, most of the difficulty is what you would call fake difficult caused by stiffer controls, unfair obstacles, and a lack of instructional and story based dialogue.[/quote']

What about some games that have come out recently, that are also brutal and difficult, but with smooth controls and 'advanced' programming? I suppose they're not a valid comparison in this debate, else it would make your logic flawed.

"Dumbing" down a game, or in other cases, making it more simplistic. (As I assumed those here would be able to figure that out without excess typing...apparently not.)

Chicken and the Egg argument. You say that video games aren't dumbing down because the people are as well. You say that people are dumbing (as far as video gaming goes) down because advanced programming is making them so. Because now that the developer can add many features to make the game as easy as possible, they will. There was nothing at all provoking these developers from making the game easier, aside of course, advanced technology and the ability to do so. Ah ha, got it.

Do you honestly think they added the compass system (which you can disable in this game if you want to' date=' morons...) with the intention of dumbing the game down? NO they added it for better interface since they have the technology now to do so.[/quote']

I've seen the light, AMEN brotha!

You're absolutely right! Developers are in no way conforming to the new generations of gamers, nope, not at all. They're merely conforming to technology. It all makes sense now. They have no need to make a game difficult now that they have better programming! Gee, what a super duper theory!

it's amusing how you talk about idiot casual gamers (and casual gamers usually are pretty simplistic' date=' it explains why they play casually instead of religiously) while making such flawed comments yourselves.[/quote']

So, you agree that casual gamers are simple? Yet, you're calling me out on hypocrisy? According to this, you are correct, and I am not. A bit arrogant, eh?

But, as I had said, you're right. No way in hell would a gaming company look to the standards and abilities of the newer gaming generations and make games based off of that. Nope! It's because of better programming, of course!

as someone said before' date=' if you really pine that much for the old days go Play Arena, Daggerfall, or Morrowind. Stop telling the kids to get off your damn lawn.[/quote']

What a fantastic ending to a well thought out and concise debate!

Don't like it, go play something else.

I had said in my post that I do enjoy video gaming as it is today. I will love Skyrim and play it for hundreds of hours, more than likely. But, I am not completely ignorant on how these things change as time progresses, and there is nothing wrong with discussing it.

You argue that the gaming community is dumbing down because developers can now make games that are simpler and easier to play... but why would they? Surely they could make a game complex and difficult, even with this new technology. So, why do they not? You give too much credit to our species and I assume it's because you yourself have not had a great deal of experience to allow you to see it otherwise.

I will not continue to attempt to change your mind on the matter, as you seem to think you've got it all figured out. If you wish to one day come up with a theory that doesn't equate to one made of a younger adolescence, I'll take it into consideration. As you get older, you'll begin to question things more often, video games included, and if you allow your mind to open to such questions, well, you'll be able to give a better answers, rather than, "It's because programming is getting better."

I personally don't see that games are changing in difficulty that much ever since I started gaming in 1987. The only thing I can say has changed difficulty wise is the fact back then, games would give you 3 lives to do the whole game (Super Mario), plus an extra life every 100.000 points or so. Now, you can reload saves, continue as many times as you like. This in itself, does not neccessarily make the game any easier, especially if you have set difficulty to insane (Gears of War anyone). Plus, when it all comes down to it, difficulty is measured by your own skill at any given game. As with all recent Bethesda games, if its too easy, you can always adjust the difficulty to tailor your requirements. I usually play any game on medium settings anyway.

*wall-o-text*

I think you are right, I actually called Skyrim shit back then, and I am sorry for that. I am pretty sure I never saw Skyrim as a bad game, and who knows what the hell I was thinking when I wrote that.

So anyway, I just want to confirm that I can't wait to play Skyrim and I assume it's gonna be awesome. But my main problem is that is getting more simple since Morrowind. Also, the map is getting smaller, but at least it seems there is more inside the world than in Oblivion. I still will say that this game is dumbed down for the casual masses anytime, but I don't want to waste threads on this, mainly because to me it seems so obvious, I cannot understand why anyone would disagree with me. If you somehow feel that I am wrong and you are right, feel free to send me a msg or w/e.

And yes I am really a hardcore Elder Scrolls fan, althought I never played Arena. Well you can say I was a fan, before Skyrim. After Oblivion came out I understood the pressure on Bethesda and the fact that they had to focus on a new console generation, so I got over the fact that it was what it was. I gave them a second chance and I had much hopes for Skyrim. But now I turned away from Bethesda and Elder Scrolls. There is no hope anymore.

I'm not sure if I will get this game on PC btw, mods and graphic updates are tempting but I have to see first and actually play it on the 360.