Guide to setting up "Xbox 360 Wireless Reciever for Windows"

Jardinho

I am setting up a thread to explain how to set up a wireless Xbox controller receiver as I had trouble with it recently. The receiver may be bundled with a disc with software on it. Do not use this disc. Instead, follow these instructions. This works for a generic, non-Microsoft product. This is a guide for Windows 7; I'm pretty sure that the same steps can be followed for Windows 8, but the system controls will be found in different places.

The function of this product is to allow you to use your wireless Xbox 360 controller to play GFWL games.

Guide:

Firstly, download the correct driver software from MS.

You can find the drivers HERE.

Make sure that your receiver is connected to a powered USB port and hit Start. Then, right-click on "Computer" and hit "Properties", which should be at the bottom of the drop-down menu.

From here, click "Device Manager" on the top-left and find your new, Unknown Device.

You will now have to update the driver. Click "Browse my computer for driver software" and then hit "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

You will now see a list of drivers. The one you need to select is: "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows". (This is what the device will now show up as in Device Manager. It is found under "Microsoft Common Controller For Windows Class".)

You should now be able to connect your controller. Make sure that it will not connect to your Xbox (turn off your Xbox at the mains supply). Hold down the button on your receiver and the button on the top of the controller that is usually used for connecting it to a console.

The controller should now be good to go!

• 1 month later...