Game Master tied to a certain difficulty?

I just finished the game and didn't get the achievement. The guide says there are 15 lvls but I only count 13 in the mission select screen. I started playing on Normal but about half way through I lowered it down to easy because I was stuck in a spot with no health and kept dieing. Did I screw up the achievement by doing that?

I got mine on normal, and as far as I know the achievement doesn't depend on difficulty level.

There are 15 levels, including the two secret levels: Moon Mountains & Sacred Yards, but I think the secret levels not affecting the achievements. I got my Serious Sam cheevo without going on those levels.

In my opinion you didn't get the achievement because you changed difficulty. You probably went to level select, chose the level you were stuck on, chose easy and continued. For the achievement you need one continous playthrough.

If you going for the achievements I would say pick tourist difficulty, and run through the whole game in less than two hours using only rockets, laser and cannon, so you'll get the cheevos for completing the game, beating all the times and not shooting a bullet or a shell.