I'm on the fence and need advice :)

matrix403

Alright. I'm trying to understand what this game is. I want to pre-order it but I'm not sure if it's for me. I enjoy FPS games and have all the Halo games. I do not enjoy MMO's. Is this a game that I can sit down and play for a few hours on my own each night or do I need to have some level of commitment to a team to play it? I'm looking to try the beta in a few weeks but opinions from others are always welcome :)

I played a little bit of the Alpha on PS4 and it played a bit like borderlands, but without the humor.

A little bit? How little?

I too played the alpha and it is so much more than Borderlands without humor, in fact I didn't think it was like Borderlands at all.

To the original poster, like all these sorts of things your just going to have to try the beta yourself to form your own opinion...

To somewhat answer your question: there will be end-game content like an MMO that you will need a team to complete. However, the main story and the majority of the game's content can be completed solo. I am sure you'll be able to jump into PVP on your own as well. There is no reason you couldn't enjoy this game without a dedicated team, or at least a group of people you have to partner with on occasion. However, it IS built to be a co-op/MMO/PVP experience first and foremost, so you'll get the most out of the game that way.

Thanks for the input :) As long as I can play through a story mode and feel like I finished it then I would be good with that. I have every Call of Duty game but have never played online in any of them :) I just like to enjoy playing at my own pace. Hopefully the beta will provide the answer for me!

Alright. I'm trying to understand what this game is. I want to pre-order it but I'm not sure if it's for me. I enjoy FPS games and have all the Halo games. I do not enjoy MMO's. Is this a game that I can sit down and play for a few hours on my own each night or do I need to have some level of commitment to a team to play it? I'm looking to try the beta in a few weeks but opinions from others are always welcome :)

The easiest way to describe this game is that it's like Borderlands/Borderlands 2 but instead of ONLY co-op, there will be hundreds of people roaming around a world SEVERAL times larger. Most missions will be either co-op or single-player. There is also a competitive multiplayer "arena" where you can face off against other players in several game modes. This is all tied together into one giant multi-world universe which includes Earth, the Moon, Venus, and Mars.

Just to clarify, I compare it to Borderlands not for it's art style, but because it's a co-op First Person Shooter that's primary goal isn't getting "higher levels" or further into the "story", but the loot grind -- getting better and better gear.

• 2 weeks later...

I came to the board to ask the same question. While I do enjoy playing MMOs as a solo player I dislike having to rely on other players for progression. From what I have found you can play Destiny solo for the most part but once you hit the level cap and done with the story you need to join up with other players or move on to the next game.

Like any MMO, once you are at the end game the only way to progress is with other players.