Halo Reach: "If They Came To Hear Me Beg" - How to get the achievement (Guarenteed)!

0i0i0i

My help is long but is worth the read if you want to get this frustrating achievement.

After spending hours watching numerous videos on YouTube of people getting the achievement and performing the exact same assassination, I wondered, why after 100+ successful assassinations was I not getting this god damn achievement?! :uzi:

I’ve read numerous forums of people trying to give tips such as: let go of sprint half way in the air; have your pistol out instead of the assault rifle; land behind him instead of on top of him and make sure you get the correct assassination animation etc, etc…

Well after numerous attempts of hitting him from every direction and timing each one differently, I realised that if you have the crosshair pointing at the elite (with the crosshair red) when you land behind him you miraculously remain alive. If however you land behind him whilst looking in the air for example (with the crosshair remaining white) you fall to your death. Evidence of this can all be backed up with the numerous videos on YouTube of the people getting this achievement, they seem to get the achievement when the crosshair isn’t on the elite when they press RB. Their timing is bad and they hit him without looking directly on him. (Search for them on YouTube if you don’t believe me).

Tips, you ask?: Well after watching the videos I was sure that my theory was correct so instead of aiming directly for the elite I decided to try and aim for in-between the elites arm and leg (this area is as close to the elite as possible, without having the crosshair red, whilst being in the ‘triggered hitboxes’) and as soon as I hold down RB I move the right stick towards the elite to almost trigger the kill, which shouldn’t be a kill as I’m not actually aiming for him. After only 6 minutes, yes 6 MINUTES I managed to get the achievement which I had previously spent hours trying to get.

Here's a YouTube video I quickly made up so people can see how I got it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRQOuRjCsIs]YouTube - Halo Reach: If They Came To Hear Me Beg Achievement - How To Get It! (Guarenteed)[/ame]

(Sorry for the bad quality, just quickly done it on my webcam so people can get video evidence of my tips) :p

My theory can all be backed up with previous tips, such as: having your pistol out (of course, why didn’t I think of that before, the crosshair is half the size on the pistol than it is on the assault rifle so this will definitely help whilst trying to not aim for the elite and keep the crosshair white.); Letting go of sprint in mid-air (yes this is also helpful but you don’t have to do it at a certain time, you can keep it on until you get right behind the elite and then take it off. Surely it’s the speed that kills you from the fall, not the height which is triggered from when you stop sprinting?) and yes landing behind the elite is vital as landing on top of him will make you survive. Also I didn’t use the head-crush animation which everyone else seems to be using when they get it. I somehow triggered a different animation when I got this.

So basically the people struggling to get this and not getting awarded with this achievement are the ones who can constantly keep the crosshair on the elite and the ones who manage to pull this off are the inconsistent ones whose aiming is all over the place and manage to trigger it in the last second. So with bunige’s bad engineering into this achievement, to get it, just don’t be so good and miss him slightly! ;)

Summary of tips:

Have your pistol out and let go of sprint anytime before the assassination.

Aim for in-between the elites arm and leg.

As soon as you hold down RB move the right stick towards the elite (to look at him/her/he-she/freak)

Any assassination animation will work (doesn’t have to be a certain one)

Hopefully this helps and let me know if it works for you! :woop:

P.S. Please rate my YouTube video so other people can get directed to this video and help them before they spend pointless hours like myself and surely other people have had with this!

Subscribe if you want but I don’t normally post videos up, only made this up because of my sheer frustration with this achievement and hopefully it can help other people. Don’t really understand why people constantly ask to be subscribed anyway! :D

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha I was close to giving this to my brother to try and get but realised if you are able to keep it on the elite then surely you will be able to aim just off of him and latch onto it within that split second. Hopefully it works for everyone and not just me although I have already had messages with people thanking me! :D

I took a break from endless fall deaths and no achievement assassinations to look through the recommended files for any videos help with this. I saw a bunch of videos showing stuff that wasn't any different from what I had been doing. Then I saw one labeled for this achievement, but the level was on Nightfall. I watched the video and figured I'd give it a shot.

You have to do it on the legendary. The elite isn't there on any other difficulty. After you assassinate the first elite you see, if you look over the cliff you'll see an elite down below with the grunts. You'll need to head past the 2 sleeping grunts on you right and head up the walkway. I took a wide path around one grunt and assassinated the other, it'll depend on where they spawn. Once you get far enough up the walkway you'll hit and checkpoint. This is pretty much where you'll want to jump from. Wait for the elite to have his back facing you, then sprint and jump off the ledge. I got the achievement the very first time I got the assassination off. The ironic thing is, the fall isn't even far enough to kill you. Further proof that this achievement is pretty glitchy.

I got this on the very last mission, where you start out on top of the cliff looking towards the Pillar of Autumn. There's an elite down next to some grunts. You gotta run and jump, and if you miss it you will die. I found it fairly easy though.

I have the video on my fileshare, gamertag; Speeedstar

Hope this helps for anyone still missing it.

I wish you had a video of this...hope this works.

If you have Bungie Pro you can watch the video I watched here:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1868838

I found it through the game just by looking through most recommended. Credit for the video goes to PuNiToR sM. I'm glad he uploaded it, otherwise I'd still be jumping off that damn cliff in Pillar of Autumn.

Thanks for trying be helpful Speedstar 81, but I've guessing you've haven't seen any of the other numerous threads about this achievement. That's where everyone's been trying to get it. It's far to fickle about it there.

LADIES AND GENTLEPEOPLES

THIS WORKS!:)

My fileshare vid is in the making to show you the jump that made it. Here's a few more pointers though

• It is Legendary, Nightfall
  • Whip out your pistol
  • The Elite has a back and forth pattern in front of the sleeping grunts, but it's a pattern that NEVER shows his back.
  • Cancel the Sprint in the air.
  • OVER JUMP the Elite and spin around to face his back on your way down.

Honestly, it took me not more than ten minutes, roughly 7-8 tries.

6 minutes exactly.

Check my fileshare labeled

"Hear MAD Beg."

Here is the link to my fileshare

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/fileshare.aspx

The vid has my last 2 jumps to show you what didn't work and what did.

Thanks a bunch to The5thCylon.

Edited by MADasaHatter

Here are some screen caps.

I jump from that cliff in the background and turn myself over in midair.

This the Sprint cancelled. Check the distance- pretty far. He has his back to the sleeping grunts. The first five times I did it the animation was the head stomp. The last animation I triggered was the knifing.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/madruckis/jump1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/madruckis/jump2.jpg

Now really look at the distance. Crazy far, right? Well my Spartan extends his arm and the assassination animation begins.

So I've been reading a lot of posts of people saying that they've been having problems getting the achievement at both Pillar of Autumn, and at Nightfall. People saying that the achievement is bugged having assassinated an elite hundreds of times without it popping.

Having already gotten the achievement myself without much problem, I decided to go and try the method I used to get the achievement on a second account to see if mine was just a fluke. After getting it a second time without any problems, I decided to upload a video guide on how I did it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xjt9D5IJC4]YouTube - Halo Reach If They Came To Hear Me Beg Achievement Guide[/ame]

Using this method, I got the achievement on my first successful assassination both times. I even managed to get the achievement without dying once while making that video. (As you'll be able to see by the lack of any edits or cuts.) So I hope this video helps those people still having trouble with the achievement.

This fall kills you on legendary regardless.... this method is basically the same. I dont see why changing the difficulty would resolve the problem that others have noted.... Got it on my first try using the method posted in the guide.
Even though the fall kills you, the game still doesn't seem to think that it's sufficient for some reason. By removing your shields, and lowering your health, you can fall a much shorter distance and have it be fatal, and it seems to give the little extra edge needed for the achievement. So I'm not sure why you're talking about difficulty when I did this achievement on Normal with this method twice.