Is this hard?

Gman2

I'm finding it hard because there isn't much ammo and there is so many taken after you. I'm my experience DLC is normally easier than the main game in some games. Don't know if I regret buying it, and is The Writer easy or hard?

Especially playing it without dying for that achievement, I've died like three times going through it for the first time. And a flare or something rolled off the street so I couldn't get it. >_<

Edited by Gman2

Try to avoid as many Taken as possible and there will be plenty of ammo for the ones you must fight. I found it easy except for playing through without dying, mainly because of the cheap accuracy of the ones throwing weapons. I usually get hit with a hurled axe then repeatedly bludgeoned from behind by the ones off-screen that don't even give me a chance to dodge. Cheap, cheap deaths throughout this game.

The DLC achievements for not dying are harder than the retail game on Nightmare. That being said there are several tips I'll give you for doing it with minimal frustration.

1. Only kill the Taken that the game requires you to, otherwise just run. The Taken will always be faster so you must sprint and when you get tired, turn around and keep them back with your flashlight. Rinse and repeat. If you get overwhelmed, don't hesitate to drop a flare or two.

2) Play the episode once through without caring about dying. This allows you to learn the level so you know what to expect when you go for the achievement.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a little challenging. Took me about 2 hours to complete all the achievements. My first play-through I concentrated on picking up all the collectibles and on my way almost got 'run on sentence' without even trying.

My second play-through I went for 'run-on sentence' and 'fast and furious'. Took me about 30-40 mins to finish the game a second time. Like in the main game there are many parts you can avoid altogether.

If you're going through this a first time I would recommend getting all the collectibles, story related achievements and 'fast and furious'. Just make sure you have at least 4 flare gun shots before you get to the last part of the game with the tv's.

As said before playing this through twice is recommended (for many reasons).

Your first play through, work on collectibles. This is easily accomplished with a walkthrough. In fact, if you pay attention to walkthroughs, you can easily get most of the achievements in the first play through. Also, take note of the gameplay itself (where enemies are, where the exit is, etc)... doing this will avoid you getting turned around or backed into a corner on a second play through.

On the second play through you can worry about nothing more than staying alive (especially if you unlocked all the other achievements the first time through). Remember to run away whenever possible, using your light to hold enemies back. When in doubt, flares can be your best friend. (Save your flare gun ammo and flash bangs if you can because they come in REALLY handy against the TV's at the end of the DLC).

• 1 year later...
Try to avoid as many Taken as possible and there will be plenty of ammo for the ones you must fight. I found it easy except for playing through without dying, mainly because of the cheap accuracy of the ones throwing weapons. I usually get hit with a hurled axe then repeatedly bludgeoned from behind by the ones off-screen that don't even give me a chance to dodge. Cheap, cheap deaths throughout this game.

couldnt agree more :)

• 1 year later...
I'm finding it hard because there isn't much ammo and there is so many taken after you. I'm my experience DLC is normally easier than the main game in some games. Don't know if I regret buying it, and is The Writer easy or hard?

Especially playing it without dying for that achievement, I've died like three times going through it for the first time. And a flare or something rolled off the street so I couldn't get it. >_<

Try not to fight the Taken in the open wooded area after meeting Barry. They're infinite respawn here. And if you want to come back to explore without enemies, you can actually jump back across the little gorge after using the train car as a bridge (There's a chance you'll die once or twice before making the jump, but it's not really all that hard; after crossing the gorge and falling out of the car, the jump is just to the right of the car when you turn around and face it.)

Also, try not to fight the Taken in what I call "telephone pole city" (naturally, I mean the area with all the telephone poles sticking out of the ground). They're infinite respawn here as well. There's absolutely nothing here to collect, so don't worry about trying to explore this area. However, I did accidentally run across a glitch one time: After making it through there and entering the large area where the monster trucks attack you, I was standing against the fence when one of the trucks hit me so hard it actually pushed Alan back through the fence! Took me a while to realize what had just happened, but I took advantage of the chance to go back through telephone pole city and there weren't any Taken. Weird stuff.

'The Writer' is a bit easier, IMO, so long as you're okay with your acrobatics. There's some jumping involved... yeah... But 'The Writer' is definitely the better DLC of the two of them. It won't letcha down!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just had my first playthrough of 'The Signal'.

After dying so many times, the achievement for completing it in one sitting without dying just seems impossible for me right now.

I've seen obese people with more running stamina than Alan Wake. Due to the shit controls and lack of sprint speed, I really have to take my hat off to those that have the 100% on this game.

But the most important factor about this DLC, is that its just utter, utter, shit! I'm not surprised Microsoft are hesitant for a sequel to this game. The devs had more than enough time to perfect this game, and this was the end result.

Its not the worst game, but I honestly cannot see where all that development time went. Even Forza doesn't get that kind of dev time, and Microsoft have complete control over Turn10.

One more piece of DLC to go and then try to clear the remaining achievements.