Why does everyone like this game?!

marty da stooge

ok this has to be one of the WORST games ive ever played! i don't understand why the heck everyone is saying its amazing. the driving controls are complete shit. the turning radius is that of a bus and the steering is way over-sensative! also who's great idea was it to add food and sleep mechanics?! i mean who wants to eat and sleep and run out of gas in a video game?

have u even looked at a tree up close? the graphics are about 10 years late and hurt my eyes. u guys act like they meant to make the characters all wierd and "quirky" but thats just poor development. this is supposed to be a real horror game, not some joke where u can laugh at all the mistakes and facial expressions.

its almost impossible just to walk around in a building without getting stuck against the wall and being attacked from the back. at least u can skip those stupid, long cutscenes! u guys all let me down by saying this was a great game :(.

sorry about bitching, but i feel better now. ill try to finish it on easy now.. *sigh it's gonna be tough though.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree... and disagree. What I mean is I can't make up my mind about this game. I have already won it on Easy and Normal and got the trading card achievement. I am currently playing a 3rd time on Hard to get 1000 pts.

I am sick to death of it now (having to play 3 times since the achievements don't stack). Yes, the controls are awful. Yes, the graphics are a little out dated. Yes, the story was VERY predictable and you don't have to make any choices during the game that matter/effect the outcome. Actually, I really don't have much positive to say about the game except I don't hate it. It is different, that's for sure!

I don't really know why so many people have a problem with the controls. They're kind of clunky and take some getting used to, sure, but after playing the game for about a half hour I didn't really have any problems with them--it almost controls like Resident Evil 4. If the auto-aim weren't useless I really wouldn't have any problems with them at all. The driving controls also never really gave me much issue and the eating/sleeping thing never got on my nerves as you can find food everywhere (and money to buy food everywhere too) and it's not hard to find a place to sleep (not to mention the game usually replenishes your eat/sleep bar at the start of a new chapter).

And the characters are amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
Is that because you have to play three times to get all difficulty achievements?

Actually, no. That was how long my first playthrough went while i was doing the side missions. Its really a great game. You just have to give it a chance. I played the first level and thought that i was going to hate it but it grew on me until it became one of my favorite games ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm it seems some people love the game some people hate it.

I want to buy it D; but then i dont want to buy it and im one of the people that hate it.

Im not too fussy about graphics on games, Controlls always just take getting use to. I love games with loads of side quests, intresting story, and just little features, Like the having to sleep thing i've heard about.

But does the game reward you at all for doing the side missions? I enjoyed the resident evil games. But the only thing that always pissed me off was i never felt rewarded for what i had done on the game. Is it the same with this or is there actualy money your given? Or rewarded with intresting story lines?

Hmm it seems some people love the game some people hate it.

I want to buy it D; but then i dont want to buy it and im one of the people that hate it.

Im not too fussy about graphics on games, Controlls always just take getting use to. I love games with loads of side quests, intresting story, and just little features, Like the having to sleep thing i've heard about.

But does the game reward you at all for doing the side missions? I enjoyed the resident evil games. But the only thing that always pissed me off was i never felt rewarded for what i had done on the game. Is it the same with this or is there actualy money your given? Or rewarded with intresting story lines?

If you like games with tons of stuff to do, yes you will like this... and you are rewarded quite well for doing the sidequests... somtimes in story... sometimes with a new cool suit... others with infintate weapons... Just play the game, dude... its only $20 bucks. if you don't like it, thats ok... just give it some time... thats usually why poeple don't like the game... they give up on it way too early...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the OP. This is easily the WORST game I've ever played. It makes me want to put Alone In The Dark in. There is nothing, absolutely zero positive about it. Looks like crap, horrible controls, annoying VO, terrible audio... it's a total turd. Who was the genius that said, "Hey, let's take the time proven shooting controls... and NOT use them!" Even if that one thing was changed, it would be marginally playable... marginally. This is just another piece of proof that game reviews and NOT be trusted.

This game should have 1 cheeve worth 1000gs called, "Sorry - You bought this game and put it in your system". Then you should be able to redeem that 1000gs for $20 as an apology from Ignition for even making this game.

It may have only cost me $20, but I feel totally raped. I'm not even selling it. I tossed Borderlands off my balcony cause it was fucking infuriating, but at least that one was playable. This one... I'm taking it out back, and burning it. I just hope the evil demons that come out of the smoke, don't drag me down into whatever hell they were spawned from.

:mad:

You're being incredibly harsh on this game when, judging from your achievements, you didn't even clear the prologue. This is not a game you can pass judgement on after playing it for five minutes, it needs to be given a chance. It's not a game for everyone.

But, whatever, you already decided you hate it so with that attitude you'll probably never be able to enjoy it. Which is a real shame.

I agree with the OP. This is easily the WORST game I've ever played. It makes me want to put Alone In The Dark in. There is nothing, absolutely zero positive about it. Looks like crap, horrible controls, annoying VO, terrible audio... it's a total turd. Who was the genius that said, "Hey, let's take the time proven shooting controls... and NOT use them!" Even if that one thing was changed, it would be marginally playable... marginally. This is just another piece of proof that game reviews and NOT be trusted.

This game should have 1 cheeve worth 1000gs called, "Sorry - You bought this game and put it in your system". Then you should be able to redeem that 1000gs for $20 as an apology from Ignition for even making this game.

It may have only cost me $20, but I feel totally raped. I'm not even selling it. I tossed Borderlands off my balcony cause it was fucking infuriating, but at least that one was playable. This one... I'm taking it out back, and burning it. I just hope the evil demons that come out of the smoke, don't drag me down into whatever hell they were spawned from.

Sorry, but according to your gamertag, you didn't even finish the Prologue. This implies you didn't give it nearly enough time to make a valid opinion on the game.

Also, you're playing it wrong. Melee weapons are better than guns in this.

The shooting is 'bad' because they didn't get a chance to improve them. The creator said he wished he could fix that and the map, if I recall correctly. Really, the controls just take getting used to. For that AND driving.

ok this has to be one of the WORST games ive ever played! i don't understand why the heck everyone is saying its amazing. the driving controls are complete shit. the turning radius is that of a bus and the steering is way over-sensative! also who's great idea was it to add food and sleep mechanics?! i mean who wants to eat and sleep and run out of gas in a video game?

have u even looked at a tree up close? the graphics are about 10 years late and hurt my eyes. u guys act like they meant to make the characters all wierd and "quirky" but thats just poor development. this is supposed to be a real horror game, not some joke where u can laugh at all the mistakes and facial expressions.

its almost impossible just to walk around in a building without getting stuck against the wall and being attacked from the back. at least u can skip those stupid, long cutscenes! u guys all let me down by saying this was a great game :(.

sorry about bitching, but i feel better now. ill try to finish it on easy now.. *sigh it's gonna be tough though.

Glad graphics are so important. Also, you're exaggerating how bad they are. Not to mention, why are you so close to a tree?

And no. You're totally missing the point of the game. I dunno if it's the cover that got you, but it's SUPPOSED to be funny. The characters are purposely quirky and were intended to be silly in an otherwise serious situation. It's not an accident.

The driving is related to the car you use. You can buy AND upgrade cars so that you can be speeding down the roads and have better handling. Also, you can get an item that allows you to warp to key locations, skipping the whole driving process.

I don't see what's wrong with the eating/sleeping. It's not like it drops mad fast. And it's not like there isn't an abundance of stuff to replenish them. I slept -once- in my first playthrough, outside of story-related sleeping.

And skipping the cutscenes essentially takes away from what makes the game so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I felt that this was one of the best survival/horror games I have ever played. I know everyones already said this but, yes the graphics are crappy, the controls are terrible we all know this but if you look past all that and look at what the game actually is there is a really well thought out and awesome story there. Not to mention a decent amount of side quests. My only complaint is that the achievements DO NOT STACK!

• 1 month later...

Deadly Premonition & Alone in the dark are both EXCELLENT games :bow:

So to sum up your post here it goes

I think the graphics are crap and it doesn't allow you to drive like GTA or need for speed there for it's crap....

Never mind the rest of the awesome things which makes this game a total win.

I agree with you though, forcing the player to eat and sleep are pretty horrible ideas. Sure on paper it comes off as interesting but the implementation is horrible. Also the gas is just blah, although those are offset but the positives

• 2 weeks later...

I think most people who play this game and hate it just look at the graphics and don't give it a chance because of that. You have to give this game some time and the story to build. Graphics don't automatically make a game fun. Sure it has some control issues, but its nothing that you can't get used to after playing it for a few hours.

If you never seen a David Lynch movie, you may not appreciate a game like this. Ignore the bad graphics and the controls are fine considering some other games that are much more successful such as alone in the dark and sonic. It was made by an INDEPENDANT team so they dont have as much resources or money or education.

most people playing this who complain seem to just want the achievements, nothing more, and once they realize it's not Call of Duty quality just hate it.

The game is a POS. The graphics belong on last gen's consoles, the controls are insanely bad (I mean just turning left and right is a chore), and I don't even know what the story will be like because I hate the game before I can even give it a chance. I've played through some pretty bad games, but this one takes the cake. I'm going to give it at least an hours worth of solid gameplay to see if it turns around, but I'm having to force myself to do it.

First thing I notice when I start, is that you turn on the flashlight... the dude isn't even holding a flashlight! The light just magically appears from no where!! Its small, but the game is filled with shit like this, and to me, it totally ruins the experience.

Edited by DENAz666

The game is a POS. The graphics belong on last gen's consoles, the controls are insanely bad (I mean just turning left and right is a chore), and I don't even know what the story will be like because I hate the game before I can even give it a chance. I've played through some pretty bad games, but this one takes the cake. I'm going to give it at least an hours worth of solid gameplay to see if it turns around, but I'm having to force myself to do it.

First thing I notice when I start, is that you turn on the flashlight... the dude isn't even holding a flashlight! The light just magically appears from no where!! Its small, but the game is filled with shit like this, and to me, it totally ruins the experience.

1) We know the graphics are dated, but that's not what someone should judge a game by. Besides, the graphics aren't that terrible.

2) The controls take some getting used to, I admit, but they're far from unplayable.

3) Pocket flashlight, maybe?

I enjoyed this game a lot and would definately play it again if there ever is a GOTY edition.

I didn't really have any problems whilst playing. Of course the controls aren't great but I don't want them exactly the same as other games I've played. Something new is always good. Graphics seem fine to me. Obviously could be better but nothing to complain about, I mean, what were some of you expecting from a game released at such a low price??? Yeah, if I payed a high price for it then maybe I would be scratching my head but seriously guys...

At first I wasn't sure about starting it, a few minutes into the game and I felt like I shouldn't go any further because once I unlock one achievement, I will have to force myself to get the full 1000G. But a friend told me to carry on, I just may like it, so I did even though I wasn't enjoying any of it but then once I had done the prologue, I started to like it. A few episodes later and I was really enjoying the story. I'm glad the difficulty achievements weren't stackable because I wanted to play through it again. Half way through my last playthrough, my brother watched me playing it and now he's now playing it on his account, lol.

Overall, yes it could be a lot better but for such a low price it's definately a game you should get. This was a nice break from the usual games I play. Hopefully, I will get to play this game again sometime.

Edited by Agent S Booth

I don't know what I am reading here.

You lost credibility at the controls (because, you, and everyone else, exaggerates the hell out of how bad they are). Saying DP takes the cake is amazing. You want to talk bad games? Play Sneak King and get the full 200 in that. My god.

If you go into it with the attitude that it is shit and that you are not going to enjoy it and that you feel like you're forcing yourself, to the point where you are honestly bitching about something as stupid as where his flashlight is coming from, then you aren't going to like it.

You are purposely making yourself hate the game, and that mindset is only going to evolve Unless you step back, and try to be more open minded while going in.

I agree with you though, forcing the player to eat and sleep are pretty horrible ideas. Sure on paper it comes off as interesting but the implementation is horrible. Also the gas is just blah, although those are offset but the positives

Eating and sleeping are hardly forced. The game even does it automatically sometimes. It's also not like there's not an abundance of food or sleeping areas. I feel like the game is paced in a way where you can easily just eat one thing and be good for another few hours before having to bother again.

And if you get the Radio to teleport around, gas rarely becomes a problem anymore. Hell. You can teleport TO the gas station.